“Peace & vintage luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
pinkpashmina
“Peace & vintage luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

A great experience in Marrakech, previously stayed in Riads but decided to try a hotel and we were not disappointed. It's not much to look at from the outside but when you go in its like taking a step back in time in a good way! It's a mix of classic morroccon and western decor.... Service was quick, efficient & friendly and once our rooms ready..... We were not disappointed we had been upgraded to garden view rooms and had a beautiful view of the courtyard pool. We were on 2nd floor. Our room was beautiful with rose petals spread across the bedding and in the bathroom. Had a separate living room area with a partition. Only negative about the room was the bathroom in the 1st day, they were having problems with the water and it appeared to be a red/brown substance which had us worried! But this was soon rectified and no other problem the rest of the time. Spent the first few days at the rooftop pool which got quite busy from about 11am onwards, there is waiter service there but if it's just water you would like better of going to a shop beside the hotel and buying a few bottles to keep with you in the hotel. We did order food at the rooftop pool and the Thai chicken salad was delicious! Highly recommend it!! We ate in the Moroccan restaurant in the hotel 1 evening and the food was lovely, with traditional Moroccan music and belly dancing. Must try a cocktail in the Piano bar also although the pianist would be better off not singing.... The mojitos were divine! But my favourite part of the hotel was breakfast! So much choice! From fresh fruit, cooked breakfast, pancakes, omelettes, breads and pastries there was something to suit everyone's taste!! Overall my friends and I had a great experience, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful plus it's a great location to the medina! And the main square. Would we go back? Very much so!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

There were so many faults with this hotel that I don't know where to begin. We had arranged for the hotel to collect us at the airport. The car didn't show. The rooms were claustrophobic and of really bad quality. There was a red rug on the floor and I had the feeling that it had never been cleaned. The bathrooms were sub-standard, an awkward shower over the bath which flooded everywhere and the water would turn hot/cold in a second. The free products were tacky and it was obvious that they were 'filled' daily! The towels were rough and cheap. I had to phone twice for a bathrobe which was missing and Reception insinuated that I was blind. TV is boring, only 4 English speaking channels and 2 of these are news only. There is one lift in the hotel which is always full of staff and maintenance people. The main pool is nice, but has brown stains on the bottom. The service around the pools are almost non-existent. On day two I couldn't find a sunbed and was told to come back the next day! The menu for lunch is basic, the food always served 'warm' and not hot. Moroccan restaurant very nice, but I had to ask for my wine glass to be changed twice as it was filthy. The staff are ok, some a little surly. The one redeeming feature is the Clarins spa - now that is 5*. This hotel has so much potential as it is a beautiful building with a good location, but there are way too many faults and it should be graded as a 3-star.

Room Tip: My room was on the medina side and I slept well.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights and was disappointed by the quality of the rooms and the service. The air-conditionner was noisy and smelled very bad. No hot water two of four mornings. One had to ask twice to get towels for the swimmingpool. For the price, they could have provided a bottle of mineral water every day (especially as a bottle costs close to nothing outside the hotel).
Positive remarks are: the location, the Spa and Swimmingpool areas...

Appleton, Wisconsin - USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our travel agent said this hotel was a 5 star but in our standards, it was more of a 2 or 3 and we rarely stay in hotels that are 5 star. This hotel is located in the old town near the medina and markets (souks). So it was close enough to not need taxis or other transportation. If that is what someone is interested in, then it's a perfect location. But to enter the hotel, one has to go down a small narrow lane crowded with people, donkeys and carts, cars, scooters and trash. The outside is dirty and unimpressive. The inside was quiet and welcoming and felt very safe.

The hotel staff was nice at the front desk and in the restaurants. The breakfast was plentiful with a good variety of food. The room was tired, worn and far from clean. It had two bathrooms with one toilet....strange layout. They provided robes and slippers which I appreciated as I would not have gone barefoot. The pictures in the brochure made the hotel look plush, but it was far from it. It was a gross misrepresentation. Even the pool looked worn. The tiles on the floor were brown (see pic). However, the pool attendants were very accommodating and it was nice to get out of the mayhem on the streets outside the hotel.

We didn't complain to the hotel as that's not our style but as we depend on recommendations, we felt it necessary to let other readers know. I don't really know if the cost represented the standard or not. I made the mistake of not doing my own research and had a travel agent make our reservations for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
essex/uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have stayed in marrakech many times and this was our first visit here. It's perfectly located being only 1 min walk from la place. The pool is large and the roon was welk appointed. We had booked a mini suite and got upgraded to a junior suite.
Check in was swift and mint tea was offered. My only slight moan wasvib a suite I would expect complimentary water and perhaps a small bowl of fruit.
The room was large and it offered a balcony/terrace with views of the mosque.
We used the clarins spa and I would do this again. Facilities are great the spa pool divine and treatments very well priced.
Breakfast is served from 0630 and has a very good choice. although the cooked items arrived cold and then were re-heated by a gas burner.
All said 8/10

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Chose this hotel based on other trip advisor reviews as I normally do. We are lucky enough to have stayed in Marrakech several times for business and pleasure. Our first choice hotel "Dar Ayniwen" was fully booked and we had to travel at short notice, so needed another good 5 star hotel with pool, spa facilities etc. On paper this hotel looked great - sadly that's where it ended!
Our customer picked us up from the airport and drove us to the hotel, he was not impressed with the service we got on arrival at reception and had words with them. I turned a blind eye to this as was tired and looking forward to getting comfortable in the room and freshening up. We were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade to a suite. Good start I thought. Walked through lovely gardens to our room. Can't fault the setting and layout of the hotel. The room was large and seemed fine at first glance so we tipped the porter and started to freshen up and change ready to meet up again with our customer and guests for dinner. Had a meal in the Brasserie restaurant and the food was good. They did however serve our Moroccan customer with the wrong dessert which he was understandably unhappy about and it wasn't remedied. We had cocktails in the piano bar afterwards then said our goodbyes to retire to bed. This is where the real catastrophes began!
Our room was really hot so my OH put the air conditioning on. Didn't seem to make any difference and there was no air to breathe. We didnt call reception as it was the early hrs of the morning so resorted to 'sleeping' outside in the patio area on the plastic seating out there. On top of that when we went to get a cold drink from the fridge we found that it wasn't working and the drinks were warm. Obviously hardly any sleep was had at all and not a good start to our 4 day stay.
My OH reported the faults to reception in the morning and was told that he must have turned the heating on in the room as no air conditioning was available in the hotel til next month??!!!! a) the switch was turned to the icicle symbol as on all a/c units, so how could this be the heating? b) why was a/c not available in a 5 star hotel at any time of the year and especially when outside temperatures were so high??!!! c) why weren't we advised that there was no a/c available and fans provided in the rooms??!!! d) how dare they blame my OH for the temperature of the room!! I would never have booked a hotel without air conditioning.
They told us that the fridge would be fixed whilst we were out that day. We were shown a standard room to look at but it was tiny and we were told nothing else was available as they were fully booked so decided to see whether it would be ok to remain in the room without 'heating' and with a working fridge! We went to check out the rooftop pool. As we were so exhausted from no rest the previous night we fell fast asleep sitting next to the pool and got badly sunburnt. We travel extensively and have never burnt before, so yet another disaster to add to the list - due to complete exhaustion from the room situation.
Went out for dinner with our client again that evening but had to leave early missing the evening show at the restaurant due to tiredness and my OH feeling unwell from his sunburn. We returned to a boiling hot room, fridge still not working and now the toilet wouldn't stop running after being flushed! Another extremely uncomfortable night on the patio with no sleep. The room although large was also very tatty, electrical wires sticking out, no handles on the bath to get in/out, very cheap toiletries, bland black & white badly photocopied prints on the walls, poor mattress etc. What a farce. No way that this is of 5 star standard. I think in fact they had most probably been overbooked and shoved us into a room that isn't usually used rather than being 'upgraded'!!
As you can imagine we were fuming by now. 2 nights stayed but not a single night being able to sleep in the bed in the room!
After more complaints and trips to reception my OH was told that another larger room had magically appeared and we could move into that. Of course that meant that whilst he was out on business, I was left to pack all our clothes up, wait for a porter and unpack it all in the new room. (Whilst this was happening yet another workman was trying to fix the fridge and remove it from the room!). So that was a day completely wasted for me - no trips to the souks or relaxing to be done. Great! We were meant to be dining together in a restaurant we had booked before leaving the uk but had to cancel that as were both far too exhausted. My OH booked me in to have a massage to cheer me up and try to soothe my exhaustion and stress. We ate later in the Indian restaurant at the hotel. The meal was ok but certainly nothing to rave about. And so to bed... Still no a/c of course but at least the bed had a wooden fan above it on the ceiling. I managed some sleep but my OH again was too hot and had to try to get some sleep outside on the balcony. This room was more up to date and also had a working fridge!
We tried to salvage our last day by shopping in the medina to be followed by what should have been a lovely evening dining in one of our favourite restaurants. We'd pre booked the restaurant through the hotel and had received emails from them confirming the booking.
A young guide was chosen by reception to walk us to our restaurant through the winding corridors of the medina. He said he would leave his telephone no. at the restaurant so we could call him to guide us back to the hotel. Nice touch we thought. At the restaurant they were very surprised to see us and asked whether we had booked. Of course we had and showed them the email confirmation of the booking from our hotel. Well no surprise by now to learn that our hotel hadn't booked the restaurant! In fact the restaurant would never have taken a booking for that time as there is only one service which started an hour earlier. At this point I just couldn't take any more and burst into tears. How could our hotel have even ruined this! Thankfully the wonderful staff and chef at GastroMK saved the night and made a special place for us (see separate restaurant review).
The hotel guide hadn't even left his no. at the restaurant so one of the hosts kindly walked us back to the hotel. The guide then greeted my OH with sneering and wanting payment - no chance! The GastroMk host had words with reception as he was very angry that they had messed up our booking like this. When he had gone the receptionist then laughed. I would gladly have strangled him had my OH not firmly guided me away!
Next day we packed and went to the rooftop to have lunch. Yet another cock up. I ordered lamb chops and was presented with a type of kebab and had to wait another 15 mins for it to be resolved by which time my OH had finished his meal. I couldn't wait to leave this god awful hotel.
Praise where it's due however to the Clarins spa. I had 2 massages as was suffering from stress and exhaustion as well as a very sore back. Both were excellent and the staff there were wonderful.
How on earth can a hotel get things so wrong one after another after another??! This could be a fabulous hotel as the setting and position is amazing. We were treated appallingly - absolutely no sense of customer care at all. This is the worst experience we have ever had at any hotel that we've ever stayed in. A complete nightmare from start to finish!!

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and it has been a very positive experience. Best value/price in the area.
Excellent location; 5 minutes walk far from the Medina area and square. Very convenient; no need to take taxis to visit the area.
Service was superb; very kind and helpful. They also recomended us Jawad, a professional guide (he speaks 6 languages) to help us visiting the medina, casbah and surroundings, and also some touristic areas close to the city. He was very nice and professional with us and helped us with all our shopping.
The hotel has a very nice, warmed pool on the roof with very nice view of the Koutoubia tower and the Atlas mountains. Gorgeous view.
They also have a cute bar to enjoy drinks and mint tea. Only they allow smokers ;-)
Breakfast buffet was good. Orange juice was superb; and the rest was a standard European breakfast buffet. Including bacon and eggs, and also ham and sausages.
I'll stay there again if I come back to Marrakesh.

Room Tip: try to get a room not above the restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Les Jardins de La Koutoubia? Share your experiences!