“Well, what can I say!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #393 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Well, what can I say!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

After reading some negative reviews about this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised, this is the last day of our seven day trip to Marrakech so I'm writing this from our breakfast dining table (yes free wifi) my partner and I have just enjoyed lavish amounts of coffee, juice, omelettes, eggs, Morrocan pancakes, pastries and fresh fruit, how can you complain about that!!!
Remember this is a three star hotel and you get what you pay for. The rooms are clean, towels changed daily and the rooms are cleaned daily, the staff are all friendly and extremely helpful. The pool is clean but very cold. The location is excellent, right in the heart of the Gueliz district, I would certainly recommend this hotel, remember, the less you spend on your accommodation the more spending money you have, why would you want to spend to much time in your hotel when the rest of Marrakech is beckoning so go on give it a try, you won't be disappointed, Jeff and Bob from Leicester, England

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights.
Extremely comfortable Hotel,friendly staff and lovely pool,garden and patio areas.
Outdoor dining for Breakfast if you so wish.
Didn't have Dinner here but Breakfast was more than adequate.
All in all a lovely stay and we would go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

found me a room at 2am after my arranged hotel denied having my reservation (warning never use budgetplaces.com to book hotels). Stayed for 3 nights very happy.Value for money. Breakfast was adequate and filling and was surprised how low the bill was.
Will stay again infact have booked for a week in February 2014

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights, all the staff were friendly, hotel was very clean, rooms were spotless, air conditioning worked on hot and cold perfect, water was hot.
Breakfast was good but there wasn't much to choose from, you get what you pay for. Restaurant staff were all friendly and service was good. I have stayed in 4&5 star hotels in marrakech there isn't much difference besides what's on menu.
Room service was good they gave us clean towels everyday cleaned the room made beds. None of our belonging was ever touched.
Restaurants were all near by within 2 minutes walk away, gulieze was only 10 minutes walk away at slow pace...
I would go and stay in agdal hotel anytime and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I would not stay at this hotel again, it is the worst I have stayed in in Marrakech. It is basic, and I would like to say but adequate, but unfortunately, it isnt very clean or adequate at all, (apart from the reception area), the beds are very uncomfortable, and it is a nightmare if you need anything, loo roll, glasses, towels, lighting, (you know, unusual requirements) etc. We were told we were getting a double room as booked, we got a twin room, and they wouldnt move us to a double (though they had plenty available). Our room had 2 glasses in the bathroom as you would expect, but two people who came with us had none in their room. We asked at the restaurant for two glasses (they had several, and a whole stack of them on the side), after banging cupboards around, while I pointedly stared at the mass of glasses in front of the guy, he then said no, we havent got any. I pointed at the ones in front of him, and he said, no. That was that. Id have understood if the restaurant filled up and hundreds of glasses were used, but I didnt once see anyone eating in the restaurant. (If breakfast is anything to go by Im not surprised).
Breakfast - dont bother. Pancakes and eggs if they feel like not ignoring you while you patiently wait, and some warm cucumber and stale croissants. (I didnt get up for breakfast other than twice when I was truly starving).
The toilets in reception never had any loo roll, and if you asked for some they would say theyd do it, then not do it.
The pool was full, and I mean FULL, of dead flies. Im used to a few flies in the pool in the sun, but this was ridiculous...I was tempted to go and get the net myself and clean it as nobody else was doing it.
The towels (of 5 towels that they had to supply all the guests in the hotel) are filthy. Dont use them! All stained. Take your own towel if you insist on staying here.
Reception - Absolutely rubbish. You asked for assistance or help and they just laughed at you, or said that it wasnt possible. I asked them to call a number in Guilez for me and they refused, so I offered him my phone to do it, and said, look, I'll pay for it, just I cant speak arabic, and they said no again. (I only wanted a pizza delivery!) Every other hotel Ive been to, will call and sort it all for you, but even when I gave my phone, he still wouldnt. He also refused to give me the number from his directory book, so had to faff with the internet to get the number up on my phone.
On the last day I got them to book me a cab, and they confirmed the price. When the time came to leave the hotel, no cab had been booked, and the original guy had vanished. The replacement guy told me that no that price was impossible, and he got me one (called one of his mates) and it cost twice as much as they quoted me.
There is nothing for kids to do at this hotel, other than eating flies in the swimming pool, no good for the elderly as it is too far from anything for them to walk, not good for families, couples, erm...It isnt good for anybody. I love Marrakech, but this hotel really ruined my trip. Oh and the food places (a pizza place and a cafe on the corner) are local, yes, but avoid them - bad food, bad belly. Im used to the food in Marrakech, but these places made us all sick!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week from mid October. We picked this hotel because of it's price and the fact we thought it was close to the Jemaa-El-Fna (which we were sadly mistaken on as it is a good 30 minute walk for an average speed walker)

After hours delay due to our flight company we didn't get to the hotel till close to midnight where we were greeted by who we thought was the hotel manager, he was very lovely and gave us a pool room once we asked. We went up in the lifts (do not use if you have claustrophobia) The larger lift is rather slow, you could go up and down in the other lifts before that one had even reached the 1st floor! We then walked down a very dark corridor with no lighting (you have the turn the lights on yourself and they turn back off after about 5 minutes)

While in our room we could hear an alarm going off, we though it was a car alarm and was hoping it wouldn't be this noisy for the rest of the week, being very hungry we went for a walk, on our way down the stairs we noticed the noise was the lift, we banged on the door and shouted if someone was stuck inside with a reply for a scared woman shouting for help. I ran down to tell reception to be told "I know" he then started swearing in French on the phone to someone. Once back in the hotel we used the toilet to be greeted by a loud humming sound, at first we didn't put two and two together and thought it was someone playing a trumpet, it wasn't till the 2nd day that we knew it was the toilet.

The next day we were rudely woken up around 6am by birds on our balcony doing their mating sounds, it was covered in bird poo, feathers and everyday dirt.

Breakfast isn't worth waking up for, it was rock hard 'pancakes' with stale bread that I wouldn't feed to a dog. We went to have lunch at the hotel and whatever we asked for wasn't in stock so we settled for a spaghetti bolognese which had no meat in even though it cost us 40dh they also charged us 15dh for water which you can get in the local supermarket for 5dh.
Dinner wasn't any better, everything is in French and the staff do not speak much English. I used a translator app and because the hotel had spelt things incorrectly it wasn't giving us the correct food. You never get a full meal. Their chicken tagine was just one piece of chicken with 20 olives and what felt like 1L of oil. We had to ask for rice which was cold and we all had to share. The Tagine is the only thing that is hot in the whole hotel, nothing else was ever heated. I work in the hospitality industry and know if this was in the UK they would have been shut down.

They change their prices daily, we got charged 12, 11, 12.50 dh all for the same coffee depending on the man's mood and I'm guessing if he hasn't got enough tips that day! He even charged me 22DH and when I realised he called me a liar saying he didn't short change me. Lucky for me a different member of staff gave me my 10dh back.

The room was pretty spacious for two people but we had no air con all week, I asked for a remote and the man wanted to come turn it on and take the remote back so we couldn't turn it on or off. The bathroom had limescale and we went a few hours without any water in the whole hotel! There after all you got from the cold water tap was loud air noises.

The pool was full of flies, wasps and moths, some alive, some not. There wasn't enough loungers for a full hotel but lucky for us it was pretty empty, the loungers were dirty and smelly and were in need of some cleaning. The umbrellas were too heavy for even most men to be able to move.

I wouldn't say this hotel is horrid but you do get what you pay for, I'd advice that you pay a little bit more and get a nicer hotel, I just don't think Marrakech is the place to go 3*.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room and for air con remote if there isn't one in your room Bring a English...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

i stayed in this flea pit recently but never again - barely rates as a one star hovel - the whole place is filthy dirty esp the floors - somebody got stuck in the lift on the first night - bed sheets were not changed all week - there was a black mark on my bed sheet which moved around a couple of times where it got turned over by the cleaners - but the only time it was changed and the room was cleaned was as we were about to check out - the cleaners were expecting a tip - and like everybody else in the place they were hanging about waiting for a tip and trying to make us feel guilty
the food was atrocious - as was the staff - we were expected to tip for service we never got - meals were cold, inedible, and often just half a meal - once i received three squares of meat in a tagine with eight prunes - another time i got a piece of chicken and that was it - we had to ask for rice to accompany the meal and were expected to tip for the privilage - one of the waiters has to be the most miserable man in marrakech
toilet was filthy really - the shower was situated so that it sprayed the wall and not the person - you could easily trip over a bidet which was stuck out of the bath - me and my son got a double bed so we had to go begging for a single bed - our friends had no air con all week - their room was like a sauna with 104 temps outside - pigeons roost on the balconies - nowhere really to put clothes - we got one coat hanger between two of us
at least pool side rooms don`t stink of the heavy road traffic outside the hotel - however the consierge areas did often smell bad of the pollution outside
the pool was full of wasps moths and flies - there was around five or six sun loungers between all 140 rooms but luckily the place was empty and was like a morgue - i wonder why

Room Tip: ask for pool side rooms - le chamber d` piscine
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends