“Do not book!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 1,081 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Amman, Jordan
“Do not book!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

To start off.No one could get my husband & i to the hotel. Not the taxi drivers nor locals.. Once we got to the nearest point by taxi. we had to take our large suitcases and walk through dodgy alleys until we found a sign with the name of the riad.We finally arrived. We had to knock in order for someone to open for us. After checking in. We have informed the host about the fact that we might check out the following day as the room wasn't comfortable enough and up to our standards( pictures attached) however he stated that they have no cancellation policy and the riad is at full occupancy at this point. As we had no choice except to stay by force. We decided to leave the riad and go for dinner.. We had a pleasant dinner in town and took a taxi back to our riad. Once we wanted to reach our riad.. No one knew where it was as per our previous experience. After finding our way back. We had to ring a bell and wait in the dodgy alley for a while in the middle of the night. Another receptionist opened the door without asking for our names nor our reservation details and allowed us to pick up our room keys from the table at the entrance on our own without questioning. My husband and I decided to call it a night and not complain about anything.. The A/C stopped working after entering the room in 5 minutes. There was no phone in our room and we had to place a call from our personal mobile in order to complain. Once our complain got thru. We had the receptionist come up the room and check for himself whether the ac worked or not. He found out that we were right and the ac truly didn't work. He offered us a fan instead of providing us with an adequate solution. This riad is supposed to be "a first class riad"however we've been through all of the above.. After refusing to get a fan.. The receptionist offered us an available room although his colleague informed us earlier on that the riad is at full occupancy.
Please note that the riad consists of 9 rooms and there is only 1 person in charge of it on each shift. there are only 2 shifts . If they cannot make sure that it is well maintained then they shouldn't promote it on international and well renowned websites . They should also make sure that their 2 staff members speak a few words of English.. They only speak Arabic and French. Noting that they do not understand proper Arabic as they wouldn't understand my husbands middle eastern dialect. Thank god I spoke some French in order to translate to both parties.
Also note that their cancellation policy has ZERO TOLERANCE . We have tried to cancel our stay for the following nights however they stated that they would charge us for the whole stay.. After going back and forth, they accepted that we cancel the following nights without being charged. We were just charged the taxes of the remaining nights.
To be honest, this is the worst hotel/ riad experience for my husband and I.. Noting that my husband owns one of the leading Luxury travel agencies in Amman Jordan.. This stay taught him a lesson.. Never book this riad. Just book a regular hotel so you won't go through this hassle and headache on holidays.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
malika1968, Propriétaire at Riad Malika, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We could consider such a review as a funny one if it didńt lower us of about 50 ranks in Trip Advisor system.
Let the customers-to-be judge by themselves, as I havenot understood yet what this young lady reproaches us.
Maybe she thinks that
1/ Jordanian people, certainly not Moroccan people, can speak good Arabic.
2/ Taxi drivers must carry the passengerś luggage from the street to the hotel, although she hasńt confirmed that she wanted this service.
3/ You wońt believe it: you have to ring the doorbell to enter the Riad. Isńt that incredible!
4/ There are so many sleedy places in the Medina of Marrakech... Our neighbourhood is just next to the Royal Palace, and it is the only one to be watched over by street cameras.
5/ this lady doesńt know how to use a AC remote control, neither does her husband.
6/ this lady says she owns one of the biggest luxury travel agencies of Jordany. So why cańt she read properly the contract she suscribed with Booking.com, and why doesńt she know GUESTHOUSES /HOTELS rules? Weird when you own a travel agency... But her husband doesńt either.
7/ These customers asked the staff to get them illegal products. (riad Malika doesńt want such guests.)
8/ Their bank refused the withdrawal for insufficient funds. We had to let them go away as they still owe 2 nights.
May we suggest her and her husband to start a training before opening their risky luxury agency?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

All i need to say: Great!

Staff, place, rooms, food, location, the turtles in the garden ("Mechtild" and "Hubertus")...just great

We spent 3 nights there and the second day barely left the place (only for dinner). Next time I'll stay the 3 days inside, the food is fantastic too and there is always room on one of the terraces where a memmber from the great staff happily serves a sundowner!

Hope the place never shows up in the lonely planet...

Room Tip: Room #6 with private terrace
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GOLD COAST AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Truly amazing words cannot describe. Beyond all expectations will return some day. Truly awesome room . Staff were wonderful made our visit memorable. We were greeted upon our arrival with mint head while our luggage was takes to our room.

Room Tip: Junior suite with its own sun deck and beautiful outlook to gardens
Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This review is just going to be a love letter to Riad Malika. I just couldn't even believe this place, and I've stayed at some world-class hotels. What an incredibly stunning property. What an unbelievable room. What lovely, personal service. Oh my. I may be ruined for life. Perhaps readers of this review should look at the photos attached to my review in order to make their decisions- the pictures say it all. I have never seen such a unique, lovingly decorated, stylistically beautiful place, not to mention that the room, which was rather a bargain, was considerably larger than my two-bedroom Manhattan apartment. True story. When the attendant led us into our rooms, I thought we were being led into a lobby/public seating area. Turns out, it was our private sitting area! It was really that massive, and the sort of beautiful most hotels reserve for public spaces. I hardly wanted to leave the room to tour Marrakesh, I was so enthralled. If you're not convinced yet, here are a few more details:

The room: we reserved a suite, and as I mentioned, it was massive. It was decorated in a truly sui generis fashion, with marvelous art deco furniture fused with Moroccan details. One wall was all stained-glass windows, which threw beautiful light all over the room in the morning and the evening and every time in between. The bathrooms were also beautiful- yes, the room had two bathrooms- beautiful tilework everywhere, soft, fluffy robes, modern details. Everything was quirky, thoughtful, and beautiful. The room was also spotless and promptly cleaned at whatever time we elected to leave. The grounds are lovely too, quiet and peaceful, and there's a small pool with an "endless swim" function in it that is just perfect (and maintained at an *ideal* temperature.)

We didn't eat dinner at the Riad but if we'd had more time I would have loved to. Every evening there would be one couple, perhaps two, enjoying a quiet meal by the burbling fountain in the courtyard, to the tune of jazz that has been clearly selected by someone who knows something about the subject. We did enjoy some wonderful breakfasts, though- every day there is something new and special, one day a Moroccan doughnut, another day special pancakes, and everything is prepared with a bit of flair- a hint of grated orange orange peel in the crépes, house-made yogurt that is nothing short of perfection.

I would also like to take a second to thank the Riad for the top-notch service. We interacted primarily with Afid and Rajesh (I probably butchered those spellings), who were incredibly kind and helpful in attending to all our needs- from reservations to directions to general advice about our stay. They made our arrival and departure incredibly smooth sailing, helpful down to the last moment. We actually left something behind in the room and they called the person that was transferring us to the airport to inform him that we might want to come back!

Anyway, this place was a marvelous experience and my wonder at how thrilled I was by this hotel choice just never ended. Best place I'll ever stay, I'm quite sure. It's been a week and I still grin to myself when I think about how delighted I was with this property. So, Thanks, Riad Malika! What an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Altea la Vieja, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I booked a junior suite at Riad Malika in Marrakech to celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. It is a wonderful riad with a beautiful inner courtyard where breakfast. lunch and dinner is served and is also the perfect spot to relax with a delicous iced mint tea after a day spent seeing all the wonderful sights Marrakech has to offer. Our suite was fabulous. The staff are very attentive and helpful. There are also roof terraces where you can relax and unwind. Breakfasts are plentiful and varied with a staple of pancakes. We ate in the restaurant twice and had lunch once and the food was excellent. All in all Riad Malika is great value. I highly recommend the Malika and hope we will be able to return again some time soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A friend and I did a tour of Morocco last week and decided to spend an extra night at the end in this delightful riad for some R&R. I booked it based on the reviews and pictures on here. As soon as we had booked, the riad got in touch to confirm our dinner arrangements and offered us a map and telephone number in case we got lost trying to find them.

The riad is, like most Marrakech riads, difficult to find in the maze of the souk. We had done a guided tour of Marrakech the day before our visit and the guide helped us to find the riad, which did sort of help us find it the next day. If you aren't using their airport transfer, my advice would be to get a taxi to Restaurant Dar Marjana, turn left when facing the restaurant door, walk along the street until you reach a shop on your right that sells quad biking and camel treks, there is a small street opposite. The riad is up that street on the second right. The more difficult bit is getting from Dar Marjana to the Djema el Fna. One day we got lost in the souk, and the second day we got lost in the medina trying to find our way back, although this isn't the riad's fault at all and they did actually supply a map with routes to the riad from Djema el Fna on arrival which we clearly couldn't read :)

The riad itself is absolutely beautiful, with tasteful decor, a charming courtyard, a lovely terrace and a pool with a jet swim. We stayed in a junior suite which was very large and luxurious. Toiletries were nice, hot water was plentiful (we stayed in hotels that had none), and we had bathrobes in our room. The staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. We had breakfast and dinner in the courtyard and both the service and the food were sublime. Good choice of wines, spirits and teas too.

I absolutely recommend Riad Malika and will hopefully return again later this year because I loved both it and Morocco so much!

Room Tip: Pick a suite, it's worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Heiloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were very happy to be staying at this lovely Riad, just around the corner of the souks. The calm atmosphere was very delightful after a day in the hectic city. And then the staf... We were touched by the loving and kind treatment at every moment of contact with each of them! They really made us feel at home. The food was great; from the six nights we stayed, we had four nights diner at te Riad. Just because of the good quality and of course the nice and calm ambiance. I would strongly recommend Malika to everyone who wants to have a peacefull stay in Marrakech! And next time when I'll be visiting this lovely city.... I know where I am staying!

Room Tip: We stayed in the junior suite, Which was very beautifull and had two floors and access to the roof t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Malika? Share your experiences!