“An oasis of wellbeing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“An oasis of wellbeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

After driving 20-odd minutes from busy Marrakch through the arid Palmeraie district, one passes the gate to the sound of birds and the scent of blossoms and herbs, into a voluptuous garden in which Jnane Tamsna is nestled. The peaceful atmosphere of the place is one of the first things I noticed, but then, in rapid succession, came all the other wonders. I don't think I've ever been to a 'hotel' like this one before. It felt like a home - or rather, a dream home. A short review cannot do justice to its myriad great features: the overall decoration - luxurious yet understated, the garden - full of secret nooks and an astounding diversity of plants and mini-ecosystems, the rooms - peaceful and cool getaways from the bustling town centre, and the overall incredibly relaxing effect of its atmosphere. All the staff are wonderful: they learned my name the moment I crossed the threshold, and were always immediately attentive to my needs. As guests we can always see what is going on in the kitchen: fresh vegetables and herbs being brought in from the garden (I discovered that Jnane Tamsna is entirely self-sufficient for seasonal produce, and it is all organic), and the chef and cooks working to produce the delicious food. Another lovely feature of Jnane is that by some magic, the guests (all lovely when I was there) tend to get to know each other and hang out together. The sitting room is the perfect place to do so, with its 1001 nights-like canopied lounge chairs, large open fire place and free bar. By some kind of alchemy, its owners seem to have made Jnane into more than a hotel: it is an all-too-brief little taste of heaven. I cannot recommend it enough. I would go back to Marrakech just to stay there!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I am very lucky girl in the sense that I have had the opportunity to travel and stay in some pretty luxurious places... But this, the Jnane Tamsna I must say was out of this world! I was in awe as I entered this grandiose palace. We were welcomed with some mint tea and were given a tour of the grounds. Despite the grandeur the owners, Meryanne and Gary treat you like friends and make your stay very comfortable and relaxing. I can fault nothing, the rooms were gorgeous and the food was to die for! Make no mistake if you are looking for your conventional boring style Hotel then the Jnane Tamsna may not be for you but if you are looking for an experience of a lifetime than look no further!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My daughter and I treated ourselves to "summer break" in the middle of our Swiss winter. We were very intrigued to read about the Moroccan cookery course offered by the chef Bahija at Jnane Tamsna and are very happy that we signed up. Our jaws dropped as we crossed the threshold into this wonderful hotel. We admired our surroundings, whilst sipping our mint tea. We were then given a tour of the the gardens, tasting the various herbs that were being cultivated, on our way to the kitchen in the home of the the owners. We cooked together with other like minded guests from 11am until 3pm, by which time we were very ready to eat the authentic moroccan meal we had prepared. We were not disappointed! At €50 per head, it wasn't cheap by Moroccan standards but it was great value! We didn't stay in the hotel but what we saw of the rooms and the welcome we received during even our short visit was enough to persuade us that this would be amazing place to stay!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hellerup
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Bordering on to the desert in the Palmerai, you will find a fantastic home-away-from-home private estate surrounded by landscaped gardens with bushes of rosemary and lavender, and orange, lemon and grapefruit trees. Jnane Tamsna has it all – beautiful individually designed rooms, various outdoor spaces, i.e. on one of the roof terraces, near by one of the five pools, or somewhere in the garden, where you can find your own intimate spot, and a very efficient end helpful staff who cares about making you happy. My husband and I have just returned from a 7 nights stay at Jnane Tamsna, and although we in advance had decided to make some excursions, we simply ended up spending most of our time on the estate, enjoying the peace and the beautiful landscaped gardens. Our days started with a run in the desert, followed by a private outdoor session of yoga, before breakfast. Lunch and dinner can be served according to your wishes in the restaurant, in the garden, or in your room in front of your fireplace. Jnane Tamsna is self-sufficient in organic vegetables, and the food is a splendid fusion between fine Moroccan traditions and the French cuisine. We loved the gesture of having bouquets of fresh flowers from the garden each day, and enjoyed the smell of white roses and jasmine in our room. The owners, Meryanne and Gary, live at the grounds of Jnane Tamsna themselves – and they are mingling with their guests in a very discreet way, making sure that each and everyone's needs are taken care of. We are already looking forward to our next visit at Jnane Tamsna.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just back from Jnane Tamsna, such a treat in the middle of winter ! I've been to that place many times, either for private stays or for business (I'm a photo producer and this place is so photogenic !) and I'm always reluctant to leave... Meryanne treats her guests like friends, with every special attentions that make you feel home, fireplace burning and hot tea when you come home in winter, home made lemonade in summer, the house keeps improving all the time, a new painting on the wall here, a new couch there, and every day the gorgeous inventive meals, even better when you think all vegetables come from the garden ! This time I had another surprise : the flower used for the home maid bread comes from Meryanne's farm, she and her husband decided to become self sufficient even for wheat, isn't that amazing ? Well, in case this was not clear yet, I LOVE THIS PLACE !

Room Tip: My favourite is the blue room, but try the Indian Suite, it's a dream...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

After multiple trips to Morocco, I have finally found a hotel that does not live up to the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Tired rooms and a barely existent staff do not in any way justify the hefty price of this glorified B&B(referring to this place as a hotel is actually a bit of a stretch). The food was overpriced and not very good by Marrakesh standards, there are many good places to stay and it in this city that cost half the price or less than this place. I have actually stayed in youth hostels in Amsterdam that are more accommodating and have better food and nicer rooms. Stay here if you have money to burn or actually enjoy being ripped off.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Maui, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We spent our new year in Tamsna and had a wonderful time. The staff was professional and helpful. Our room was clean and large with access to the rooftop terrace and we especially enjoyed our fireplace every evening. The surrounding gardens provide refreshing and discreet hideaway in the middle of the palmeraie. Though the place was quite full, we hardly heard or saw other guests (except during meals) as the villas and rooms are constructed to emphasize privacy. It is a great place to go with a baby. The staff was amazingly helpful with our baby, especially when we had to go to an emergency doctor in the middle of the night. They also helped us with our rented car's punctured tire as we were leaving. We would highly recommend this place, with or without kids, if you are looking for a peaceful place that offers understated luxury and high quality service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Jnane Tamsna? Share your experiences!