“Better than you'd think” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Oudaya to your Saves list
Agoda.com Booking.com
Hotel Oudaya
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   147 Rue Mohammed el Bequal | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #378 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Better than you'd think”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Before I stayed at this hotel I looked at previous reviews and was more than a little concerned about this hotel. However, I have to say that for what it is (a 2 star hotel) is was really good.

My room was clean and freshened up each day, the staff were friendly and helpful and did their best to help me with my requests and the location was perfect for my needs.

You need to remember a few things before you come here. English is most people's 3rd or 4th language - Morocco was a French colony so most things are done in French - that said I was able to communicate with most people with my schoolboy French from 20 years ago!!

There are a lot more French, German and Dutch tourists staying at the Oudaya than British but it just added to the atmosphere of the hotel - not detract from it. I found that by being polite, civil and not pushy I got a really good response from the staff.

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the popular Centre of Marakkesh which suited me perfectly - there are plenty of restaurants nearby if you want to use them.

All in all i'd say this hotel deserves to be higher in the rankings for Marrakesh. I'd certainly be happy with staying there again in the future!!

• Stayed October 2010

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Ledbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

we stayed in the Hotel Oudaya and were a bit dubious due to the bad reports that had been written about it but found it to be perfectly adequate and extremely good value. the staff were pleasant and polite the rooms clean and adequate and for B&B breakfast as good as most places. Good location for eating out at night and easily accessible to all other attractions. No problems at all and for the money very good value.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
anywhere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed here 1 night just to take my next morning plane. The pool in the patio looked dirty. The rooms are small, but with a little balcony. The airco was banging all night. The hotel is in a quiet street of Mohammed V where several similar hotels are. I paid 45 euro for a double room but just wasnt into the mood of hassling around for something better since I had to leave early the next day anyway. The wireless didnt work.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Firstly I am not one of these people who enjoys complaining about everything. However I do speak the truth.

The staff was rude rude rude! I appreciate that there is a culture difference/language barrier but manners are still manners. They didn't make any effort to help us when we asked for directions. The worst service is in the restuarant. The service was incredibly slow and when the waitress did bring our bottle of wine she just slammed it on the table without opening the cork. So we had to wait another ten minutes until we could grab another waiters attention for him to bring a bottle opener. There was also another incident when they wanted to sit another couple with us whilst we was having dinner. When me and my sister pointed out that we was not prepared to do this (as it was our mother's birthday and it was private) the waiter actually moved us and let the other couple sit there. As a result we walked out.

As far as room service goes. Several times we asked for ice to be delivered to our rooms which they agreed they would do. They never did. In the end we just gave up expecting any type of customer service.

Another important fact is that the restuarant is not air conditions which made it almost unbearable if you was sitting inside. They do not provide white wine, just rose and red. They food is also terrible. Do not waste any time eating there. There are other places to eat around the corner. One I strongly recommend (as does another reviewer) is Hotel Amalaya. This is air conditioned, good customer service, good wine, good food and a good price.

One thing to point out as well is that the hotel is mainly catered for German guests who are staying there via Thompson Holiday company. No real opportunity to chat to other people if you like that sort of thing.

Advise to any parents that are staying there. Around the pool is extremely slippery so be warn your children to be careful when walking around as I saw many people almost slide over when walking down the steps to the pool area.

Lastly (on the negative) you could hear many construction noises throughout the day. Hardly the right sound effect to help a relaxing atmosphere by the pool.

On a positive note I have to say that the rooms are air conditioned, they're cleaned well and they provide you with fresh towls each morning.

I would never stay there ever again, I wouldn't reccommend it other than to close it down!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
aldosmyhero
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife & i stayed at this hotel as part of a twin centre holiday and we certainly wont be in a hurry to return. Anything we wanted/any query we had was to much trouble for these staff. (At one point when we were waitting on our transfer in reception, the receptionist actually followed a customer to keep up an argument)

It was very loud and breakfast was the most stale food i have ever eaten.

Location wise and cleanliness couldnt be better.

Worse of all though was the broken air condtioning, leaving us with a warm room that was well over 28oc and a broken shower that you had to hold in one hand whilst washing yourself with the other.

Pleaeont let this review put you off going to Marrakech or Morocco as the people here (apart from it seems at this hotel) are so warm and friendly and ready to welcome you with open arms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Stayed her for 1 night en-route to Agadir. Room was OK - nothing special furnishing-wise but it was clean. About 20 mins walk from the Medina.

Reception staff were very friendly - let me have the room at 10am despite normal check-in not being until 2pm, although, it did seem very quiet!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
cambridge, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Marooned at this hotel for 24 long hours by Thomson due to Icelandic volcano episode. Rooms tiny, run down with broken air con and door latches, tiny hand-held shower head, worn decor and fittings. TV with 3 non-English channels. Huge, old, lumpy pillows. Not even a bottle of water in the room (can't drink tap water). Even the budget Riads provide you the means of drinking water on arrival. Also, no internet at all, not even pay for use. Amazing when every restaurant on the same street had free Wi-Fi.

Most notable point was the rudeness of staff - even the ones who made an attempt to be polite were unwilling to be of any help. The young female on the second reception desk (one reception desk on each side of the hotel) tried to make me keep going across to the other reception desk because she couldn't be bothered to call them to get answers to my (simple) questions - such as finding a phone number for the (elusive) Thomson rep or even the airport. "Do you have phone number for the airport?", "No","Can you find it for me please?", "No. You go to other reception", "Can you call the other reception and ask them for me?", "No. You go to the other reception". Meanwhile, I have all my baggage around me. I didn't really feel like going all the way to the other reception. It was also 7.30 in the morning and the flight home had been cancelled again. Did she have anything to actually do instead? No, she was just sitting there sending text messages. When I insisted again and again, she finally made the phone call after sighing loudly - and was able to give me 2 phone numbers within minutes (with bad grace). She goes down as the worst hotel receptionist I have ever encountered. And then the cleaner started to complain that she couldn't mop the floor because my bags were in the way. This is one example of several incidents. The other Brits who had been there for 4 days had given up even trying to get help from them.

Reception staff also insisted on displaying out of date flight information on the walls, even after we told them it was incorrect and misleading. Staff did not speak English, but were no more helpful to people who spoke French or Arabic with them.

Noisy pool area, frequented by European adults on Thomas Cook, Thomson and other package holidays, jumping in the pool with cigarettes in hand and splashing everyone else (apparently hilarious). The pool area got sun for some of the day but would be small if the hotel were full. Public area toilets had no toilet paper all day.

We were kicked out of our room at 1 pm. The flight was at 2145. They needed to clean the rooms, although there were only about 10 rooms associated with the delayed travellers and the hotel had already told us they were not fully booked the next day.

The proudly displayed Award said it all - 1997. In a city with so many lovely places to stay, don't stay here. It is run for the convenience of the staff. The circumstances of the stay were not the best, but this is not the side of Marrakshi hospitality you want to pay money to experience. Truly, an awful hotel - even for free.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Oudaya? Share your experiences!