“Marrakesh a great experience !!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Oudaya

Save Saved
You added Hotel Oudaya to your Saves list
Hotel Oudaya
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   147 Rue Mohammed el Bequal | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #363 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
uk
“Marrakesh a great experience !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I went with 3 kids aged 12,13 and 15 and myself a single parent and had a great time in Marrakesh for 1 week and then went down by car to Agadir for the second week,I found it extremely safe and the people very kind,happy and helpful.we stayed in the Hotel Oudaya,Marrakesh,which was pleasant and clean,the staff were very trusting and kept the room clean everyday.We had a choice of rooms when we arrived,either 2 new rooms at the back of the hotel,as there was an extension being built but overlooked the building works or two in the main building with balconies which over looked the pool,these rooms felt more ornate and were in keeping with the original hotel with dark tiled Morroccan decor,great in the summer, we went in April.The pool was clean and crisp at the time of year but everyone who stayed there seemed to enjoy it.We had breakfast included which did not alter throughout the week with croissant,pancakes and hot chocolate being thefavourite,if you wanted eggs,etc this would have been extra. I would definately stay there and recommend as a budget accomodation of better value,central location,with reliable,friendly helpful staff.

• Liked — Central location.
  • Disliked — The breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Hotel Oudaya was very clean but a bit soulless. The room was small but clean, the bathroom barely big enough to turn round in. Having read the description on Thomson's site I expected better. The hotel was very cold. The breakfast was basic, croissants, pastries, rolls, nothing else. The tea and coffee at breakfast tasted like the nastiest value stuff money can buy. The staff speak barely any english which makes it difficult to ask about anything.The bar in the evenings had no music playing just a giant flat screen TV blaring out programmes that we couldn't understand. Overall an OK hotel to use as a base but not sure it is worthy of its 3 * status.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — soulless
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

This Hotel was basic and the beds were tiny, I had to upgrade our room as we needed an extra bed I paid £40 extra.The bathroom had towels with holes in them and the toilet and shower didnt work. Reception staff arrogant and rude, took our bottle of coke off us as they said it was company rules not to bring drinks from outside even though the bottle was nearly empty, she was so rude and hostile. We needed to hire a car. The hotel made arrangements I was not impressed on the quality of the car for the price I paid £400,we also required a driver. It was then the nightmare really started his name is Badir, so stay clear of this guy he is bad news <driver from hell>. With regards to the hotel, things began to go missing out of our rooms. I approached the hotel about important documents and money that went missing, they wanted me just to go away from the reception area where people listened to my complaint. After the 2 days I was so happy to be out of Marrakesh, I wouldn?t recommend this hotel to anyone. So be warned.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The rude staff and dishonesty
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Review collected in partnership with EasyJetHotels

Stafford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Just returned from a fantastic break in Marrakech! I booked this 3 night trip as a surprise for my other half's 40th birthday - I'd read previous reviews and went with an open mind.

The hotel itself is a great base, situated away from the main hussle and bussle, but just off the main street (Mohammed V)down to the medina (which is about a 40 minute walk). We were there for 3 nights and I've got to say all of the hotel was spotlessly clean, the rooms were smallish size, but for the amount of time we were in the room, more than adequate - the air conditioning was a 'god send' and a must for this time of year in Marrakech!! The breakfast was basic, with pastries, bread and the berber pancake, which wasn't too good when it was cold, but there was fresh orange juice and tea and coffee!! In my opinion there was enough to start the day. Breakfast was served around the pool and terrace area, which was quite small, but a welcome retreat with the weather about 40 degrees - to be honest, we didn't have time to sit around the pool - there's just too much to see and do.

We took one of the Safe's for the room, which cost 20 dirhams a day (about £1.40) - which means you know your belongings are locked away - again, very reasonable we thought.

The staff in the hotel, in the main were friendly, but I would say that they appreciate the fact that we attempted french when asking for room keys, and being polite - how are you etc? There was one waiter in the breakfast room, who was surly and miserable, but he was the only one we came across at the hotel - you could get change and local maps from the 'old' reception and again we experienced friendly and helpful staff.

We found a brilliant air conditioned restaurant just down the road in the Hotel Amalay, the food was superb, including steaks, pork chops, pizza etc - we had 3 courses and drinks for around 200 dirhams (just short of £15) and the service was excellent - recommend a visit, if your tired legs won't take you far!!

All in all, we loved our time in Marrakech and I'm glad I chose this hotel - it had everything we needed as a base to explore the fantatsic city that is ....Marrakech.

Would we go back there? Yes, we would and we'd certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Just got back from spending a week at this hotel. I agree with some of the comments from previous reviews such as the breakfast consisting mostly of bread but overall this is s great place to stay. The pool is relaxing and a real asset to the hotel - especially when the temps are high. The hotel is also very clean and we didn't have any problems with things being taken from our room. I would suggest getting a safe though - just to make sure. The hotel is located within walking distance of heaps of restaurants and cafes. I would recommend Solaris (just south of the hotel along Mohammed V) and Le Lounge. You can even have an alocholic drink outside in the courtyard at Le Lounge and the staff are very friendly. Star Cafe which is very close to the hotel also offers cheap and quick food. It is also easy to get to the ONCF station from here and to pick up a taxi along the streets.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

I have read a few reviews about this hotel before flying out to it. Bear in mind its a 3 star hotel so dont expect too much.
Overall the hotel was fine and clean. My only problem was with the food choice, hence why I ate out more often.

Some of the reviews state that the hotel staff are rude, this is an incorrect statement. Remember, you are visiting another country with different customs and cultures and different ways of doing things.
To avoid these 'rude' members of staff, upon arrival I smiled and acted courteously towards the receptionist, chambermaids and waiters. Acknowledge them!!! this is key, try to learn a few French phrases of hello, thank you, have a good day and so on.
These people see tonnes of tourists day in and day out, do you not think that some of these tourists are arrogant and rude themselves. I witnessed this on a few occasions with some French tourists who expected the staff to become their personal slaves. This is wrong. Act kindly to them and they will reciprocate.

I made quite a few friends at the hotel and they made my stay quite memorable.

Expect to pay more for anything ordered or bought at the hotel, otherwise if you are a bit of an adventurist then I can guarantee you a great time. Explore the city, food and goods are cheaper, and always haggle for a preferred price. Remember as the buyer you are in control.

The hotel food is a bit bland and doesn’t give you a fair representation of Moroccan cuisine. It is worth a try but after that I suggest you eat at one of the hundreds of restaurants at the old Medina (souk). Breakfast is never appealing, orange juice with plenty of sugar and rock hard croissants and pastry. There are a couple of cafes that you could explore.

Make sure you book a room facing the swimming pool, otherwise you will never get any peace from the constant noise of the hustle and bustle on the main road. You can request a room change, and again if you are kind and respectful the staff will give you a better room. I was shown 3 rooms before I accepted one.

There is a supermarket about 10min walk from the hotel.

The old Medina (world famous souk) is not a 20 min walk, it is at least a good 40 to 45min trek, an average fare for a taxi ride would cost you around 10-15 dirhams.
Important note, taxis have counters, which they should reset upon your entry. Make sure they do this, never agree a price beforehand, if they suddenly say you need to pay more, call on one of the abundant traffic police that you will see in the city. They will rush to your aide.

The hotel organises excursions, compare the prices with tour guides that ‘you will happen to bump into’ outside of the hotel or even staff members who discreetly organise such things.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

just returned from oudaya hotel quite suprised the hotel was lovely and clean breakfast not up to much at all, staff were friendly and helpfull the hotel is an unusual shape with oudaya 1 and oudaya 2 seperated by the swimming pool area and everyone shares the pool and breakfast room . its a good walk from hotel to medina plaza were everything goes on a taxi cost us one night 20 dh and the next 50 but that is not a lot of difference in their money. you take your life into your hands with the traffic it is manic and there are scooters everywhere even in the market all you do is dodge the scooters, did the tour bus that was interesting great experience but came home shattered.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Hotel Oudaya? Share your experiences!