“Great location but service and food issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Oudaya

You added Hotel Oudaya to your Saves list
Hotel Oudaya
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   147 Rue Mohammed el Bequal | Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #363 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
“Great location but service and food issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The overall first impression of this hotel was one of being quite good for a central location of Marrakech. Room was presentable, bathroom fine, small balcony overlooking another hotel pool.

Hot water for the shower was an issue, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but at best took about 10-15 minutes for the hot water to come through, what a waste of water.

Breakfast was good value but the coffee although kept in insulated jugs was cold. We stayed half board and the evening menu was less than good. First night choice of rabbit or fish, my wife likes neither and no alternative offered. The rabbit for me turned out to be the rabbit leg, had difficulty finding any meat on it.

On our last morning we had to leave early, should not be an issue as breakfast starts at 6:30, but upon arriving at 6:45 door was locked, staff member inside was sat down talking to another and gestured for us to take the long walk round to the back entrance to come in, needless to say I didn't and after a couple of minutes he did walk over to open the door.

Overall I would say, a nice quiet hotel, but don't waste your money half board, some lovely small reasonable restaurants close by in which to get evening meal.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

The hotel was great. It was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was to a good standard. The hotel is also in near proximity to the tourists attractions, such as the square. There were no real problems with the rooms other than there was a problem with hot water in the shower, for most of our stay it was cold. However this was just a small problem. In all the hotel was great, and we had such an amazing time in Marrakech!! I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Torpoint, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I read the reviews for this hotel after booking and must admit I was a bit apprehensive. but after arriving I can only say that certain reviewers either stayed at a different hotel or were not particularly honest in their opinions. I will itemise what I consider to be my perfectly honest opinions. my wife and I stayed there 31st May to 14th June.
1, the reception my wife and I received from the staff at the hotel was without exception, very warm.
2. the room we were allocated on the 4th floor was spotlessly clean and cleaned daily, the bed was changed daily as were the towels, without exception.
3. we were on a room only basis but ate a number of meals in the evening over the 14days we were there and had no reason to complain of the standard nor the portions of food served, nor the standard of service received.
4. some people complained of the WIFI service but even in the 4th floor room we had, my wife's tablet and my kindle fire HD connected perfectly well and with the app I had for tv, I was able to watch uk tv when needed. ( world cup )
5. wherever you go in Europe the hotels and apartments ( in my experience) always charge for air conditioning, in some cases as much as 10 euros per day, but at the Oudaya it was provided free of charge, and as the temperature reached the mid 40s it was certainly needed.
So in conclusion, take the negative reviews with a large pinch of salt and try the Oudaya for yourself. and treat everyone as you would wish to be treated.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Pros: The rooms, etc are fairly basic but clean. The location - proximity to the modern quarter and the bus / train stations.

Cons: WIfi doesn't work well outside of the public areas. Breakfast is meagre - boiled eggs and bread with little else on offer. If you book from the internet (a must - more than 30% off their rack rate) then you need to print the voucher. If you haven't there is a small internet cafe next door that they will direct you to that can print it for you.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the road can be noisy. It is a big hotel so if you don't like the first room th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My friend and I booked two single rooms at Oudaya 2 online and paid roughly 30 Eur per night/room. This is the first time I staid in Marrakesh so I lack the comparison but my feeling tells me this is pretty good value for the money. The value lies, amongst other things, in a good-sized two bed room with a very decent bathroom (shower and tub), good room service, TV with European channels, good AC, free WiFi and a nice pool (belongs to adjoining Oudaya 1 but I'm sure I could have used it). The lady at the reception was pleasant and spoke pretty good English. The hotel guests seemed to be predominantly Dutch and French.
The location really depends on what you're looking for. The Oudaya lies not anywhere near the Medina. A walk to the main square is 40 (!) minutes. However, right beside the hotel as well as across the street are two beer joints with zero tourists and a very loose, lively atmosphere. If you're male, love to drink and are adventurous, you should go check them out. Really!. So, in a way, the location is not so bad after all.
While I was really quite satisfied with the Oudaya 2, returning to the hotel to pick up our luggage turned into a bit of an annoying experience. The desk clerk at the Oudaya 1 first confiscated the two water bottles we had bought for our time at the airport, then it took him what felt like ten minutes to double check our payment and kept insisting that we hadn't paid breakfast (no wonder -we never ate at the hotel). I found this quite annoying, especially as we were running late for the airport. I would recommend to the hotel management that they optimize their processes and train their Oudaya 1staff to not treat their guests like thieves.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Having read a few reviews was feeling a bit wary of what to expect. However staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were cleaned every day and new towels every day. Basic rooms but all you need really. Breakfast was what you would expect, plenty of choice. I am diabetic so had to keep my self in check and did not have a lot of choice but there was enough. it is what you would expect from a 3* hotel and you get what you pay for. pool area was quite busy so my friend and I found the roof terrace which we had to ourselves.

Room Tip: We were in room 8 which was on the ground floor and had doors to the garden. Was a little noisy at t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
lymm, cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed here with a friend on a cheap Easyjet deal, so my expectations were fairly low. The hotel was perfectly adequate. It was cheap and cheerful, but that is what I expected. Bedrooms basic and some bits if furniture a little tatty, but it was clean (which is more important in my view). I can't believe some of the comments about this hotel - it is a basic 3 star and a good one; some people are making such nit picking complaints as if they were expecting 5 star facilities! (they know what they paid!) We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful ( we stayed for 5 nights) and nothing was too much trouble. Yes, sometimes things don't happen too quickly, but you have to accept that is the general mood of the people and culture here. Breakfast was limited, but fine for a quick start to the day. We didn't have dinner here and there is no food available at other times of the day. The location of this hotel is excellent. Within 5/10 minutes walk there are plenty of restaurants and cafes and a lively night time atmosphere. It is a pleasant 30 minute stroll to the Medina if you don't want to get a taxi.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Oudaya? Share your experiences!