“Long-time favorite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Essaouira

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Essaouira
You added Hotel Essaouira to your Saves list
3 Sidi Bouloukate, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #308 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Rabat, Morocco
“Long-time favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

I first stayed here 8 years ago. Every time I return to Marrakech, if there's an open room, I make sure to stay here. It's located on a back alley with several other hotels. The common refrain from people who are dissatisfied with other hotels and move to Hotel Essaouira is that they were paying as much as double for a significantly less lovely hotel. We paid 100Dh/night for three nights for a double. We had a room that had a window on the street. My wife had trouble sleeping with all the noise from foot-traffic, but I loved hearing the sounds of a Moroccan city. The second night, we switched to an interior room with a window on the courtyard. It was VERY nice.

It needs to be said that the hotel, rooms, bathrooms and sheets are all very old. That's what I expect any time I'm staying in a medina, as opposed to a ville nouvelle. If you know what you're getting into, this is a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kranj, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

Situated in the medina this hotel makes it a ideal place for exploring the city. We stayed here for 1 night, and everything was great. The staff was helpful. It can get pretty hot in the rooms since there is no air conditioning or fans. But it was bearable. Would recommend!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Alice Springs, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

Stayed here in September. No fans in the rooms, so really hot the first night and moved the second night which was better. 1 x toilet and 1 x shower shared per floor, so can be a bit of waiting.
The airy and peaceful terrace serves breakfast but we ate elsewhere.
Price 100dihrims (2014)
They did look after our bags for a few days whilst walking in mountains, big bonus!!!
Safe with plenty of European travelers

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room, or with outside window.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Poznan, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Nice, centrally located (however might no be so easy to find it at the beginning), with good prices for good standard (but good prices refer to rooms without bathroom, if it's not a problem for you this might be perfect place!).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My girlfriend are I stayed here for two nights - and that was two nights to long!
Yes it is cheap, however there are a lot of cheap places around! Rooms were stinking hot, not once did we see toilet paper in any of the bathrooms for the 2.5 days we were there. And when we asked for some, they just laughed!
Also, they never mentioned that breakfast wasn't included in the cost - it was our mistake for not double checking - but they really need to be more honest and up front.

The main guy was grumpy and I'll be telling my friends who visit in the future not to bother! Far more friendly Moroccans out there!

Stayed July 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Our entire stay at Hotel Essaouira was without fault - from the cleanliness of the rooms to the friendly reception of the staff.

We stayed in two rooms (9 and 5 I believe). The first night was fully booked except for a more expensive option. This room was large with two double beds, very clean and light with a window opening on to the street below. The member of staff told us he would move us to a cheaper room the next day to suit our budget.
And true to his word we moved to a cheaper roomy he next day. Also clean and tidy, this room had a window facing into the courtyard of the building. Both rooms had a washbasin and all toilets and showers in the hotel were clean (and hot!).

The hotel is decorated beautifully, with plants everywhere and seats dotted about to relax in. Overall there is a very laid-back and friendly feeling about this hotel. Plus, it is only a 2 minute walk to the Jemaa El Fna square.

The guy who was normal at the reception is a great person to have a chat with. We immediately seemed advise to learn Moroccan Arabic phrases; hello, how much? thank you etc. A little Arabic goes a long way with locals. We helped us with pronunciation and wrote the words down too.

Breakfast was good and you will probably struggle to find better than at your hotel in Marrakech as it's very overpriced. I think ours was 20Dh for coffee/tea, fresh orange juice, jam butter and bread and a pancake.

This hotel also has a lovely terrace to get away from the heat and bustle of the main square.

To conclude: a VERY friendly, clean and relaxing option for friends, couples and family alike in a great location in Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed here for one night. It was alright, but not more. I had to pay 120 dirham, because she said there were no more single rooms.

I wasn't very excited by the hostess, who said the total amount of words to me of: "We have this room." "Ok give me your passport." "You pay now or later please". But I guess you could say she was just being curt.

The room was disappointing to be honest: the mattresses were saggy, and only if I slept on the complete right side of the bed did I have a good sleeping surface. There were no electrical sockets in the room. The shower didn't work, but maybe another one did on another level. The toilet had no toilet paper. Wifi in my room was just okay.

But that would've all been okayish, if the owners and their family hadn't been talking really loudly until really late in the inner courtyard (I'm saying past 12am), and then at 6am a Moroccan guy was talking loudly again. I had hardly slept.

The main advantage of this place I guess is that the hotel is very close to the main plaza Jemaa El Fna.

So overall the hotel was just sufficient, but considering my lack of good sleep it wasn't really worth the money. Maybe if you can get a cheaper room, it's better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Essaouira? Share your experiences!