“Felt like home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Essaouira

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Essaouira
You added Hotel Essaouira to your Saves list
3 Sidi Bouloukate, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #329 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
Durham, United Kingdom
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Hotel Essaouira is a beautiful location to stay. It is very cheap and only 30 seconds walking from the Djeema el Fna (the center of Marrakech medina). The rooms are adequately clean and tidy and the atmosphere is very friendly. All the travellers sit outside their rooms in the comfortable courtyard or the roof, and you get to meet everyone. Finally the staff is extremely friendly, to the point that I made friendship with one of the receptionist. Nabil if you are reading this "you are the best bro".
Highly recommend it to everyone who wants to experience Morocco the proper way!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very simply:

1) BED BUGS in my bed (first time in my life!) - so gross
2) Went to the reception, he didn't look surprised and gave me the key to another room
3) I didn't feel comfortable anymore so I asked for a room in the most expensive riad in front, of the same property - I was answered in a very rude and upset way "you can pack your stuff and leave!" (in the middle of the night) - of course I couldn't leave...
4) all night long I had cockroaches on the floor and on the bed
5) didn't sleep, of course
6) no toilet paper in the bathroom
7) very loud place, you can hear anything, impossible to sleep without earplugs

in a word: AVOID!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay there. I know the price is tempting but I wouldn't stay there even for free!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ailuig

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been in Morocco 3 times and this is one of the worst experiences ever!

We were 8 people. We asked for a room (where we could keep the luggage) and 8 places on the terrace, because we wanted to sleep outdoor and often this is possible in Morocco.
The man at the reception asked if two of us would have slept in the room and we said no. Of course we talked about the price, as always in Morocco, and we traded for what we asked. Usually on the terrace you can sleep on the sofa, or on a mattress on the floor, and this solution in cheaper.
On the terrace there were 8 places on some sofas, and we took them all, so we chose the most expensive solution.

Strangely, the man asked us to pay in advance and that's the first time this happened to me in Morocco: usually you pay the day you leave, since the host needs to prove he'll give you what you traded. We said it was strange, but we paid.

The last day in the afternoon, we saw there were two guys who put their luggage on the terrace and we asked them if they were going to sleep there in the night. They said yes. So we went at the reception to remind them we took all the 8 places on the sofas! They apologized and took them to another hotel.

A few hours later, when we went to sleep, a guy was sleeping on the terrace and there was no place enough for everyone. We went again to the reception to complain. After half an hour discussion, they gave us a mattress (that WE had to bring on the roof) to put of the floor.

The morning after we had to leave and we asked for a discount on the breakfast (that we still had to pay) for what happened the night before. They accused us that we changed our mind, that the night before we said "no problem" with the mattress, that we already had a discount when we paid (it's trade, not a discount, it's different), that the first day we said that two people would have slept in the room, that the terrace was open so they couldn't guarantee there were place on the sofa (then why did they apologize and send away those 2 guys in the afternoon?) and so on... They basically refused to give us a discount.

Now, I know Morocco traditions quite well and I know that:
1. not respecting a trade is a serious thing
2. both of the parts must be happy with the trade, and if something happens in between, everything must be fixed (for example with a discount)
3. lying is a bad thing for them (and that's what the guy did when he said that we asked for just 6 places on the roof, that the roof was open, etc...)
4. accusing someone of lying is really really bad, and they did it with us.

In Morocco they honor all this trade rules. This is the first time I see such a rude and disrespectful behavior.

I red some review talking about racist behavior. This doesn't surprise me, since during the discussion the man at the reception asked our nationalities. You should have seen his face!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vagamentale
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is an old, somewhat rundown hotel. I got a large, airy room with private bath. The mattress was only slightly sloping towards the middle. A good centrally located stopover for someone on a modest budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jollycrone
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were a group of 8 friends travelling on a budget. This place was a very good start for us. Very cheap, very close to Djemaa El Fna square, even charming if you're sporty and do not care about sharing a bathroom. The management let us have a pleasant terrace-breakfast at the near "Riad Mogador" which apparently is run by the same people. We had a very good time, we stayed here on our way back as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BCorso
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I slept there for one night when we were waiting for our flight back from marrakesh and it is right what you seek when all you need is a place to stay. it was simple but clean, comfortable and very cheap. 70 dh is next to nothing in marrakesh and it is fairly easy to find and just a few minutes walking from the djemma el fna. if you are looking for a clean place and travel on low budget i can advise you consider staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I asked a room for the close riad but no room were available so the owner sent us to next block and offered a big room in Hotel Essaouira: at a first glance it was ok but during the night I was completely eaten by bed bugs. I would not recommend even to my enemies to spend a night in this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple