“If you like cold showers and no service you will love this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de la Menara

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel de la Menara
Save Saved
You added Hotel de la Menara to your Saves list
Ave. des Ramparts, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #447 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Queensland, Australia
“If you like cold showers and no service you will love this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

My partner and I stayed here as it was the joining hotel for our two back to back Intrepid tours through Morocco. The hotel staff were unfriendly, we were given stale bread and what tasted like orange cordial for breakfast and the rooms were, well, in need of a major facelift. We had no hot water unless we let the shower run for 35 minutes and then you could shower if you only ran the hot water tap. Not the best experience when you are arriving at 10.30pm at night after travelling for most of the day! As our Intrepid guide stated to me on our way to this hotel that it frequently does not have hot water I can not believe Intrepid are still using this hotel for their tours.

• Stayed November 2009

Business
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of my tour. I did not have such a bad experience like other travellers and was lucky to have a clean room, working AC, clean towels and hot water. My room had a balcony with nice chairs and a table. However the TV only caught one channel in one of the rooms and the second time I stayed the TV didn't work at all. Breakfast was very average indeed. The outdoor Bar and Pool facilities are probably the highlight of the hotel (although I did not enter the pool). I found the staff helpful and polite however best to come equipped with a little french.

• Stayed May 2009
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We had a wonderful trip to Morocco, but begining and ending at De La Menara was a downer. Bettery hotels off in the countryside, IMHO. Dowdy common areas (was probably fantastic in its day), dingy/worn rooms (I hate other people's hair ground into the carpet), AC with no thermostat, dour staff at the front (well, one nice person). Below average breakfast - had better eats in 300 person Berber mtnside village than here.

• Stayed May 2009
Katherine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I am very sad to say that we were made stay here by Intrepid travel as we were on one of their tours. We were very unimpressed with this hotel and Intrepid for making us stay there. Almost no one in our tour group of 6 got hot water in their shower. The beds were yuck. Breakfast was ok, but nothing fancy. It was a big, heartless hotel with no charm, no character and no hot water. Yuck yuck yuck!

There are many fabulous little family run riads in Marrakech that are 10 million times better than this for only $20 (Australian) per night more. Don't bother with big cheap hotels, go for a riad; you'll be pleased that you did.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

We stayed in room 108 at the beginning of our trip and room 55 at the end.. The staff did not welcome us either time. The rooms were not clean, especially the bathroom. Both times we were bitten. Had trouble getting hot water from the shower, after asking three times it did happen so it is available. The rooms are not cleaned as I discoveed shards of glass in my foot, looking further there were lots in the carpet. A croissant for breakfast was good, but the staffs general hygiene is poor at all times.

• Stayed April 2009
Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

True this place isn't your usual 5-star luxury hotel but it's relatively clean and has an excellent location. It's right outside the walls of the old city, so it's only a 10 minute walk to Jemma El-fna. It has a very charming downstairs sitting area and courtyard with a nice pool and a mini-bar/restaurant. They serve up a simple yet substantial breakfast. The staff is also very nice (they speak Arabic, French, and English quite well) which makes it a pleasant stay for a few nights. It's much better than some of the other hotels in that price range/ star range with similar location. Trust me, I've stayed in some of them!

• Stayed March 2009
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

room 108 has bed bugs, my friend had hundreds of bites all over her face, neck and upper body! the staff did not seem to care as im sure this happens every week at the hotel
there is no heat, my room was 57 (13) degrees day and night and no hot water
the towels are gray and very old
small tv with 2 moroccan stations
walls had water stains
breakfast was horrible, bread, watery orange juice an tea
the staff is not helpful, refused to help me find an address on a map
stay somewhere else, im quite sure the train station would be more comfortable!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bugs!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel de la Menara? Share your experiences!