“everything good, was outside” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis to your Saves list
Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de Casablanca | Quartier Semlalia, Marrakech 525 , Morocco   |
Ranked #345 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Marrakech, Morocco
“everything good, was outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

first impression was good, with great outdoor activities and beautiful garden and pool area.
The hotel rooms were so-so, but we had two large rooms with connecting doors.The food was not so good! breakfast was okay, but little selection. even though we had half board, we chose to eat lunch in the hotel the first day. The buffet consisted of the leftovers from the dinner day before. But the worst was that the lunch cost 180 dh (30 U.S. Dollars) per person.
Dinner, which was included in the price, was not impressive. all the meat we ate at the hotel was poorly prepared along. But despite it was a great variety of delicious desserts, with the best croissants and oranges you can find.
the hotel was a short distance from the city center, and the Medina.
And even closer to the new district of Gueliz.
The best way for a famlie to get into town is by taxi, which is usually very cheap.
But now to leisure activities, which was impressive. Hotel could offer a fantastic pool and pool area with a restaurant and a bar. The hotel also had two tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, a soccerfield , two bocce courts, table tennis and a kids club.
But the evening entertainment was poor.
by mathias (13).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
brentwood essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

This is not a 5 star hotel but very clean, good food, nice surrounds and in a good location just a short (50dhs) taxi from the main sights.
I would recommend this if going to Marrakech for the sights and a bit of sunbathing. Not to stay all day at the hotel seeking a bit of luxury

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

By taxi - 15 mins from airport, 10 mins from centre of Marrakech, just north of Gueliz, the newer, modern district. Out of season, this hotel has benefits and failings -
BENEFITS :
Uncrowded enough to feel it was almost all your own, accentuated by the open-plan design and the central atrium area from floor to ceiling.
Always several taxis raedy and waiting.
The notoriously very noisy, virtually all-night disco was not open.
FAILINGS :
Poolside service was fairly slow, as poolside bar closed out of season and service operated from the inside bar/restaurant.
The pool itself was cold ( so I'm told ! )
The only 'Kenzi Semiramis' option for lunch and evening 'a la carte' food ( other than scouting locally - not much around - or eating in the city ), as opposed to the hall serving breakfast and evening BUFFET, was their in-house restaurant 'La Strada', out of which came several pretty awful offerings such as rubbery, sloppy, plastic, salty versions of pasta dishes, undercooked 'burgers' (lumps of mince in tiny cold bread rolls), cold chips, and feeble salads. Club sandwich was okay .... but not for every meal !
Where was the beautiful Moroccan cuisine ? Or French ? Even out of season, this was shamefully poor and really let the hotel down.
Whether a seasonal problem or a deliberate ploy, the lack of change (anything smaller than 100 dhm notes) at reception, in taxis and in the city was inconvenient and frustrating.
IN GENERAL
Common areas were attractively and quite freshly decorated but the bedrooms, whilst clean enough, would benefit from brightening up out of their current slightly dull, shabby image.

Bed comfortable, and though described as a single standard room, it was large and housed 2 double beds.
The bathroom utilities all worked very well.
Small, individual balconies (particularly if, like mine, on top floor and overlooking the garden/pool) great for a spot of quiet contemplation or reading.

Yup, the boss-maid was pushy for her team's tips, enquiring when your departure was and pretending they would be absent on the critical day, but reappearing then anyway, calling out down long corridors to let you know they were there. Ignore them until you're ready to reward good service.

OVERALL : Comfortable amenities - fine as a base for chilling and adventuring forth from

MY RECOMMENDATIONS
Jardin Majorelle ( with Yves St Laurent exhibition ).
La Marrakchi restaurant at edge of Djema El Fna square
Drinks or lunch on any of the rooftop terraces overlooking the main square and rooftops. Day trip up into the Atlas Mountains. ( I'm not declaring the idyllic lunch stop - too fabulously quiet and relaxed to let the secret out.)
The souks ( you HAVE to experience them...once ! )
There's bound to be many more 'must-sees' but we only had 4 days into which to cram some R & R as well.
The fact that one of our party was conversant in Arabic undoubtedly smoothed our way through taxi fare negotiations and any souk hassle. Fascinating place.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Having just come back from the Kenzi Semaramis Hotel in Marrakech I thought I would write some comments. Five of us (all girls) went out for a friends birthday for 4 nights.
Overall the hotel was pretty good, good location out of the noisy centre of MarraKech. Very nice large bedrooms with two large rooms in each. If booking request a room overlooking the pool if you can as they seem quieter. Really nice pool area with bar and pool attendant and lots of sunbeds and beautiful grounds. Hotel clean and nice atmosphere as you walk in with friendly staff. The hotel rooms are set around a square with a large atrium and the noise from the band at night travels upstairs and is quite loud until about 12.30. It did not bother us as we tended not to go to bed until then but if you were an older traveller, probably not for you. Also in high season apparantly a very noisy disco until early in the morning .
My only complaints personally about the hotel were we were hassled by our maids clearning the room who knocked on our doors at least three times asking for a tip before we left. This urked us all and my friend who speaks arabic gave them a piece of her mind towards the end. We all appreciated they probably did not earn much and would have all left a tip anyway . We just did not like being hassled.
Also 4 our of the 5 got bad tummy problems at the end of our stay. Its hard to know if this is from the hotel or the restaurant we visited the night before. I have since heard that a friend of a friend visited the hotel previously and had the same problem. I think morocco on a par with Egypt for tummy bugs so didnt prepare myself before hand.

Food wise, good breakfast but other than that quite poor. The hotel buffet was just about OK but the restaurant there called La Strad was appalling. We all had pasta and just couldnt eat it , we should have realised something was up when we were the only ones in there. Also in February when we visited this was the only place open for lunch and everything on the menu (except club sandwich and Salad Nicose was pretty unedible so advise would be overall to eat out apart from breakfast.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011 via mobile

Staying in the hotel just now. Management must be quite challeged. Most staff are very friendly if not too competent. Interior noise is a problem. Hotel is very open plan so the sound of the (bad) group again playing tonight really carries. I have a quiet room but am still disturbed. No disco, thankfully early Feb.
Location 10 mins from centre via 30 drh taxi. Rooms large, far from spotless. Run down 5 star hotel. Needs serious work.
Food at buffet fine, resto quite poor. I do not believe chef is qualified at all.
Odd place, would not stay again though anthropologically interesting.

• Stayed February 2011
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Pros: clean and relative big rooms, kind and helping staff (especially in the SPA area)and if your room is situated on the pool side silent and calm perfect for a good night sleep.
Cons:expensive drinks, proper food but not a lot of choice, the "shuttle bus" is a joke and when rides then with a very rude driver (we used it once and we almost took a taxi since the driver arrived 20 min late while he knew that we were going to the airport and left us like 200-300 metres away from the airport entrance to drag our bags there ) , the heated pool mentioned in the site another joke (the only heating system is the sun), very slow internet and all these having paid a 5star hotel price. If we have payed a 3 star hotel price then would be ok

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed here over new year for 4 nights - I've split the review into good, OK and bad:

GOOD:

The hotel is in a quiet location, away from the centre of Marrakech. The rooms are very clean and are quite large. They all have balconies. The hotel does have a 'shuttle bus' into the centre of the city and to the airport (more on this later!).

There are shops, a pharmacy and some restaurants close to the hotel.

The pool is also a good size, towels are available at the pool, there is a pool bar and the grounds are exceptionally well maintained.

The staff at the pool bar, pool and main buffet restaurant were very friendly and tried to speak to us in english as we don't speak french.

OK

Breakfast was OK. There was meat, cheese, bread, pastries, eggs and cooked sausage things and boiled eggs.

Dinner - What we had tasted nice but there was not a great selection. Beef, chicken, rice, veg, potato.... maybe fish - EVERY NIGHT........

BAD.....................

Check in and check out were VERY slow and poor for a '5*' hotel. There was no welcome, no introduction to the hotel, area, no explaintion of the breakfast/dinner process.

The disco - my husband and I had not been very well and had gone to bed about 11.30 pm. We then woke up at 1AM with the noise of the disco in the hotel. I had heard it the night before but it wasn't that bad. It progressively got LOUDER (I've never heard anything like this in a hotel - it really was ridiculous) until my husband went to reception at 4 AM - what did reception say - "well its on until 6 AM". He was not very happy about this and told reception. Eventually the gave us a new room at the front of the hotel. This room was quiet until about 5AM when the 'discoers' started leaving in their fancy cars, shouting and screaming, sounding horns, revving engines - right under our new (quiet) room........ Eventually, we managed to get to sleep at 7AM.......... This room also had a broken bathroom door and a broken toilet seat - I found that out after I sat on it in the dark and cut my rear end. Not very happy.

We went to the reception the next morning and spoke to the room services manager. I wasn't particularly happy with his response of "i'll move you room", no apology. I explained that we had already been moved, blah blah, blah....... We then got moved again to a room at the pool (which thankfully was quiet!)

The new room - the same as the others but no mini bar and electric sockets that are hanging off the wall. BUT QUIET

BAR PRICES - In the restaurant it is 25 dirhams for a soft drink. At the pool bar, its 40 dirhams??????? It was also 100 dirhams for a vodka and coke (i wouldn't pay that in a pub/bar/hotel in glasgow), so £6.50 for 2 soft drinks.

NEW YEARS PARTY - ok but it started at 7.30 and I got my main course at 10.50PM, so I was starving. We were also asked to move table (after reserving the table 3 days earlier) and after we had been sitting there for 1.5 hours (i said no). The waiting staff also decided to bicker from each other right next to our table whilst we were eating and one of them held a tray of food above my head for about 30/40 seconds whilst talking to his pal, I pointed out that I was eating and asked him very nicely to move it. Bad manners though.

CHELLAH RESTAURANT - First lunch, waited 10 mins for a menu and 10 mins to order but food was good. Second, got menu straight away and order came within 10 mins. Third time, waited 20 mins for menu despite asking 4 staff if anyone was serving. Waited 15 mins for someone to take our order, and finally 1 hour after sitting down, our food came!!!!!!!!....... However, my burger had no bun only a round piece of toast. ..... Dilemma - do you send it back and get nothing to eat (leaving 15 mins after this for airport) or eat it? I ate it, it was fine (for a burger and toast).

SHUTTLE BUS - I only remembered to ask for the shuttle bus the day before we left for Marrakech - I e-mailed the hotel but no-one replied (i only gave them a days notice though).

The bus into marrakech only goes at 10am and 5pm - but wasn't running when we tried to get it twice........ Does it go at all????

As we were leaving after the disasterous toast burger, the bellboy took our bags out to the shuttle bus and told us to wait for the driver. The driver came, started the engine and started to move the bus out (presumably so we could get our luggage in?). No. He drove away from us and stopped at the other side of the car park. We followed and when the driver eventually turned to us he said in quiet a dismissive manner "you no book". We explained that we had booked and that the bus was actually put on for us. He when said "no, you get taxi", turned and walked away from me!! By then, I was slightly perturbed - it wasn't that fact that there was a mis-understanding etc, it was the way that this driver thought that he could speak to hotel customers - outside the hotel infront of others. Eventually, the bellboy went and got the manager. I was not moving as the minute I would have went into the hotel, we would have been off to the airport in a bus with 8 available seats!! The manager came out, screamed at him and ushered us on the bus.

The bus driver did not recieve a tip.

If we had only one of the 'bad' experiences - we would have probably have returned to this hotel but its certainly not a 4 or 5 star hotel and I dont go on holiday to be treated like crap.

I would go to Marrakech again - the weather was great for January and I enjoyed lying at the pool in the sun.

I don't recommend staying here though. Its not just someone who likes moaning - see other reviews. I'm normally very positive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis? Share your experiences!