“Average hotel / Great Pool & Gardens” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis

You added Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis to your Saves list
Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de Casablanca | Quartier Semlalia, Marrakech 525 , Morocco   |
Ranked #354 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Average hotel / Great Pool & Gardens”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hotel is approx 10 min taxi ride away from central area; not much to see or do in the vicinity and not many shops or restaurants nearby either. A Macdonalds restaurant was close by (i read from a previous reviewer) but I heard it got burnt down recently, so nearest one is at the central train station, if that's what you fancy. Rooms, breakfast, dinner (if you're eating at the hotel) are not bad - price for dinner is approx £10 p.p. (drinks charged separately). The pool and gardens are excellent, that's the main reason I booked this hotel as I was staying with kids. Hotel has some other amenities such as Pool, Fussball, a very small gym (not all equip was working), Tennis, Table Tennis (net was broken when we were there). Taxis to Jemaa el Fna will cost between 30-50 Dirhams (depending on whether you need a small or Grande Taxi) - just make sure you agree a price first !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

The location was not ideal-an hour's brisk walk from the Djema el Fna. The number 1 bus goes there for 4dh but took 45 min. The other option is a taxi but 50dh a time soon adds up. The communal areas (lobby, dining rooms, gardens etc) are all lovely, but the rooms could do with a little work. In ours, two of the lights didn't work and the patio door (ground floor) didn't lock, which would have been annoying had we been staying longer than one night. Breakfast had a good selection and was tasty; staff helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was a five star and now it is four. The lovely gardens indoor and outdoors, fountains and pool are a true oasis in summer! Do not expect much of the food. Spacious rooms with balconies to huge old trees. Check out prices, it can be a true bargain!

Room Tip: If the heat allows you can find restaurants near by.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Hotel in general fine. Accessible. with easy access to the downtown and main attractions. However, food wasn't brilliant and service below average. Towels were scarce and the safe wasn't working. I couldn't find any room service menu. Receptionists, however, were polite and courteous. This is not a 4* start hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel was fine, the rooms were adaquate but tired. The air conditioning was not brilliant, there was no way to decrease the tempreture in the rooms. The TV /Fridge worked, no room service menu. The safe in the room only works by paying for a code at reception.

Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Mohammed at the pool. Pool area was good, spacious, not enough sun beds - be quick to put out towels in the morning. The food for breakfast was fine if you remember you are in a forigen country! Evening meals expensive in the hotels compared to eating out. But you could get pizza etc.

Cheap to get to town if you wait for the number 1 bus opposite the hotel entrance 4 d compare to 40/50/60/70/80 d in a taxi. Bus drops you out side the square and you pick it up in the same place runs every 15/20mins or so. This worked really well, and it was nice to escape back to the holel and the pool.

Not much enthusiasum to help with tours in the hotel, we used IMZU travel agents in the new town - see the tourist information centre - new town. They were good. Morocco was an insight but not a place I will be going back to. Have fun

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Bad hotel food below average we were allin but never got it always .runnin out. Of beer complained to rep still ran out that nite.not much choice in food breakfast was boiled eggs fried or omlet no entertainment.snack bar never open at4.00.i would advise anyone to pick another hotel this is not a 4* hotel

• Stayed August 2013
Gateshead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We received an awful first night purely due to restaurant staff and reception staff. This started when we checked in, no real information was given about anything (we were half board and we needed to ask details of where the restaurant was and times, etc.)...this was no big deal but knowing certain information would have perhaps helped us with what happened next. We had only been in the hotel about two hours after arriving in the evening. We headed down for dinner and firstly found there was no real selection for vegetarians, everything was pretty much meat based, which was disappointing for me and my partner who are both veggie. We then got asked for our drinks order and I asked if drinks were included with half board to which we were told yes! My partner even asked if alcoholic drinks were included to which we were told no, so clearly the waiter understood what we were asking and so we stuck to soft drinks. We then received a bill for drinks when we finished, we explained we were told drinks were included. The restaurant staff seemed very unresponsive and demanded that we pay (funnily enough, we saw some other guests being told this exact same thing a couple of nights later...so clearly this kind of thing happens regularly). I did not agree with paying when we were told otherwise, so they said to sort the issue with reception. Even the reception staff were dismissive and said we had to pay, the receptionist even bluntly saying that I "should have just known drinks weren't included". When I made a point of her not even giving any initial information to us, she said "well, I know the policies so you should". Clearly this woman isn't suited on reception if she thinks all guests are meant to be mind readers. Whilst at reception we also had the man on the currency exchange counter try to claim he had given us too much currency for what we paid?! He demanded we give him some back. This point was even hard to establish as he didn't speak much English, we were given no receipt to how much he had given us in the first place (something that I was uneasy about handing cash over when we had just put all our cash together with the dirhams we already had). This went on for a while to the point where I ended up in tears out of frustration. None of the reception staff seemed to care of this fact. THEN, someone from the restaurant came over (I think he was management or something) he was very dismissive, he wouldn't even fully let me explain what had happened in the restaurant. He had risen his voice and very angrily made a point of paying for the drinks himself. No one seemed to want to listen to us or to even understand our point. There seems to be no real friendly guest service and this was an awful start to our holiday. I had got myself very worked up as they were ruining the first night of our holiday, so we just retreated to our room. We then felt on edge and felt very uncomfortable that being in a foreign country, with a hotel that clearly didn't care about any sort of customer service - that for all we knew they could have chucked us out purely due to their claims. We felt very uncomfortable even leaving our valuables in the room and locked everything away each day and I even resorted to taking my valuables in my bag even sitting around the pool. I don't know why, just my first impression of the hotel left me feeling I couldn't trust the hotel. We also felt very awkward heading for breakfast the next morning that we didn't go, luckily when we headed for dinner there were no issues. I would say if you are vegetarian it is really pointless going half board at this hotel and for me I feel I wasted my money paying the extra for the half board option. There really isn't enough to eat for vegetarians and I think in total we only resorted to eating dinner 3 nights out of 6. One night I had to resort the bread and a few pieces of beetroot as this was literally all I could eat for my dinner. The grounds are actually very nice and very well kept. The pool is large and spacious and all in all it looks lovely. However, the hotel isn't up to a standard of an English 4 star, in some parts it looks very nice but it is slightly run down and our room, despite being fairly cosy, it was lacking any real wow factor and looked very basic. It looked dated and with marks on the walls, a broken remote which literally fell apart in my hands, dirty coloured splash marks on the bathroom tiles and totally lacking any room facilities (no iron/ironing board, no informative literature like most hotels have, no tea/coffee making facilities). There is NOTHING to do once sun goes down here. No disco as stated and the one bar didn't even play any music. So, prepare to be very bored during the evening time, there is nothing in reception detailing any excursions or things to do, neither. The hotel isn't next to anything and you need to get taxis everywhere. We came down with strange stomach bugs on our last day at this hotel, this lasted for 2 days for my partner and 5 days for me. I don't know what caused this and being pregnant I really hope it wasn't food poisoning. We then headed to the Atlas mountains for our final night in Morocco, this is the first time I have ever been relieved to leave a hotel. I hope you can understand the length of this review shows you how much I was left so dissatisfied with my holiday, purely due to our experience at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marrakech le Semiramis? Share your experiences!