“Good value for money but you get what you paid for” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Kenzi Farah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #330 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good value for money but you get what you paid for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Kenzi Farah Hotel Marrakech is a vacation hotel and not a business standard hotel. If you are on vacation, it is ideal, good value for money, and near many city tourism attractions. Challenges of the hotel are that the majority of staff only speak French. If you speak French this is not an issue. If you don't, it can be. The WiFi is particularly slow except in the lobby and you should check your room WiFi signal as the signal can be weak. There were issues with my outgoing emails which required the hotel IT technician to reconfigure my email settings on my laptop. There is no tea/coffee facility in the rooms so you have to call room service which is inconvenient. Room aircon didnt work in my room but was eventually fixed. Breakfast is just continental so don't expect a big breakfast buffet. If you are on vacation, this hotel represents good value for money. If you are on business, you will find some of the above issues a challenge.

Room Tip: check your in room wifi signal as some rooms have a weak signal.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Kenzi Farah is a very nice hotel complex composed of four buildings of hotel rooms. My wife and I stayed at the Kenzi Farah for two nights as a part of a tour through Morocco. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff is efficient and courteous. The hotel is a vast property with every amenity you can imagine. The hotel rooms surround the pool which is situated in the middle of the complex. The rooms are large and comfortable. The hotel is located within a fifteen minute walk of the City Square, the hustling and bustling hub of the city. Want to take a camel ride or mount one and take a photo? There are camels within a seven minute walk. There is free wi-fi in all public areas, however, I managed to login from my room which was located in the fourth block of hotel rooms. The free breakfast was the only one of the four hotels I stayed in on my Moroccan trip that offered an omelet station. I would recommend the Kenzi Farah to anyone looking for a place to stay in Marrakech.

Room Tip: I would recommend Block 4.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here a while back and am just getting around to reviewing it. The grounds are phenomenal and the pool is great looking but often crowded. I had no problems with the staff and found the internet/accommodations above average.

I'd definitely stay here again. I just wish the bar remained open longer and the pool was bigger.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cedar Hills, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I sponsored an international conference at the Kenzie Farah Hotel in March of this year, which was recommended from a conference planning agency we were using. This hotel is noted as a five star hotel. I would give it a maximum of three. The outside appearance is nice, the lobby is nice, the facility, frankly is pretty decent. Not spectacular, but decent. Nice palm trees, good pool area, etc. Our first night, we met with the hotel management to go over our poolside welcome reception for our guests. The pool area looked great for an evening event. Everything was set and confirmed. The next morning, to my great surprise, the pool had been drained during the night and blocked off. When I talked to the hotel manager about our event that night he said, "nothing I can do, it was scheduled for maintenance." I learned that this was just the beginning of the attitude of the hotel management and front desk staff that makes me give this a poor recommendation.

The front desk staff spoke very poor English. Oftentimes, 5 or 6 employees could be standing around at the desk and you would have to beg them to acknowledge you. Most were very unaccommodating for even the most simple requests (no towels in the room, could I get some?). If you exchange money at the hotel, it took 30 minutes to do so. Checking out can take at least 30 minutes as well.

I do give good marks for the conference food, except the regular buffet room at night. For our conference, there was high quality food and plenty of it. For the run of the mill hotel guest going to the buffet, it is a big disappointment. I watched the quick order chef, who was cooking pasta, grab pasta with his hands (ungloved) and give to a guest. When she requested a new dish without his hands touching them, he swore at here and treated here incredibly poorly. The food quality is very low in the buffet room.

The rooms were decent, if you have a room where the air conditioning works. Mine did not, as did many others at our conference. Repeated requests for help fell on deaf ears. Workers drag carts around the sidewalks at 4:30 in the morning walking people up and call-to-prayers will wake you at 4:45am if your window is open (if you have no air conditioning).

The last night, I requested a hotel car to take me and my 3 colleagues to the airport at 9am. I asked for it to be prepaid and reserved. No problem I was told. No surprise, there was no car waiting, no prepaid, nothing. I was left to find transportation for myself. Honestly, we couldn't wait to leave the hotel.

I cannot recommend this hotel. Although we got a good room rate, it is the staff quality that brings this hotel down. The owners of this hotel could have a gem if they properly trained their staff.

Room Tip: Ensure that your air conditioning works if you absolutely feel you need to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Campbell, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel has some of the most beautiful grounds I've seen anywhere. The building surrounds a huge open square with the pool and incredibly gorgeous gardens. The hotel itself is quite modern and mostly up-to-western standards of maintenance and cleanliness. Our room was pleasant; the beds were comfortable, and the dining room was fine. One note--don't be late for the noonday buffet. We were one day and just about everything was gone, and since it was about 30 minutes to closing time for lunch they weren't restocking the buffet.

Actually, the only complaint I would have was that one of the people at the front desk was very rude. When we returnd to our room after dinner we noticed that it smelled like an open sewer. She tried to insist that it was because we'd turned on the air conditioning in the room (fat chance!). After I insisted that they send up a maintenance man and he verified the horrible smell they moved us to a different room that didn't have the problem. The odor problem could have happened at pretty much any hotel anywhere, so we didn't hold it against them.

Every other service person we encountered was friendly and gracious. The hotel is in a good location only a few blocks from the Medina.

All-in-all this was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at in Morocco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Casablanca, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I just spent my weekend at this hotel and it was a terrible experience! I have stayed in several hotels in Marrakesh and this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I'm really not a very demanding guest and I already prepared for the worst after reading the reviews, but this topped everything:

Breakfast
When I arrived at 9.30am, there was literally no food left at the breakfast buffet: no bread, chesse, ham,.. absolutely nothing, just salad - all guests were waiting and complaining and it seemed that the kitchen staff couldn't handle anything. In the end I had to serve myself coffee from the neighbour table and had to eat my joghurt with a knife since there where no more spoons left (yes, this is a 5 star hotel just reminding you on that one). The orange juice was watered down Fanta and I had to drink it out of my coffee cup (obviously after finishing my coffee) since there were no glasses left (even though I was promised to get one twice).

Reception
The reception staff was not responsive and not welcoming at all - I stood alone in front of the reception and the reception guy was not looking at me - after 2mins, I literally had to ask him if i could check in and all he did (without saying a word) was throwing a piece of paper at me with a pencil. After, I went to the room and , oops bad surprise, there was still someone in there. So I went back to the reception and instead of apologizing he was giving me a grumpy look like this was my fault. So again, without apologizing or saying any word, he just threw another key card to me with a new room number. Luckily, there was noone in the other room (again, this is a 5 star hotel).

Pool
On a note, the garden and pool area are quite nice, but be advised that this hotel is very popular among Moroccan families, so don't think of relaxing near the pool since it's full of screaming children (at least the weekends).

Spa
5-star prices: 10 EUR to use the gym and pool for an hour. 100 EUR for a hammam/massage package.

Room Tip: You don't really have a choice - if you get a good deal (50% of in my case) they will put you in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My first night in Marrakech was spent at this hotel....it was lovely! Noise free, clean and very comfortable. Beautiful lobby and pool area. Buffet was average; a la carte dinner was delicious. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Kenzi Farah? Share your experiences!