“It's like an Oasis...Enjoyed My Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kenzi Farah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #330 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
San Diego, California
“It's like an Oasis...Enjoyed My Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Kenzi Farah is a very nice hotel complex composed of four buildings of hotel rooms. My wife and I stayed at the Kenzi Farah for two nights as a part of a tour through Morocco. The rooms are large and comfortable. The staff is efficient and courteous. The hotel is a vast property with every amenity you can imagine. The hotel rooms surround the pool which is situated in the middle of the complex. The rooms are large and comfortable. The hotel is located within a fifteen minute walk of the City Square, the hustling and bustling hub of the city. Want to take a camel ride or mount one and take a photo? There are camels within a seven minute walk. There is free wi-fi in all public areas, however, I managed to login from my room which was located in the fourth block of hotel rooms. The free breakfast was the only one of the four hotels I stayed in on my Moroccan trip that offered an omelet station. I would recommend the Kenzi Farah to anyone looking for a place to stay in Marrakech.

Room Tip: I would recommend Block 4.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Stockton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here a while back and am just getting around to reviewing it. The grounds are phenomenal and the pool is great looking but often crowded. I had no problems with the staff and found the internet/accommodations above average.

I'd definitely stay here again. I just wish the bar remained open longer and the pool was bigger.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cedar Hills, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I sponsored an international conference at the Kenzie Farah Hotel in March of this year, which was recommended from a conference planning agency we were using. This hotel is noted as a five star hotel. I would give it a maximum of three. The outside appearance is nice, the lobby is nice, the facility, frankly is pretty decent. Not spectacular, but decent. Nice palm trees, good pool area, etc. Our first night, we met with the hotel management to go over our poolside welcome reception for our guests. The pool area looked great for an evening event. Everything was set and confirmed. The next morning, to my great surprise, the pool had been drained during the night and blocked off. When I talked to the hotel manager about our event that night he said, "nothing I can do, it was scheduled for maintenance." I learned that this was just the beginning of the attitude of the hotel management and front desk staff that makes me give this a poor recommendation.

The front desk staff spoke very poor English. Oftentimes, 5 or 6 employees could be standing around at the desk and you would have to beg them to acknowledge you. Most were very unaccommodating for even the most simple requests (no towels in the room, could I get some?). If you exchange money at the hotel, it took 30 minutes to do so. Checking out can take at least 30 minutes as well.

I do give good marks for the conference food, except the regular buffet room at night. For our conference, there was high quality food and plenty of it. For the run of the mill hotel guest going to the buffet, it is a big disappointment. I watched the quick order chef, who was cooking pasta, grab pasta with his hands (ungloved) and give to a guest. When she requested a new dish without his hands touching them, he swore at here and treated here incredibly poorly. The food quality is very low in the buffet room.

The rooms were decent, if you have a room where the air conditioning works. Mine did not, as did many others at our conference. Repeated requests for help fell on deaf ears. Workers drag carts around the sidewalks at 4:30 in the morning walking people up and call-to-prayers will wake you at 4:45am if your window is open (if you have no air conditioning).

The last night, I requested a hotel car to take me and my 3 colleagues to the airport at 9am. I asked for it to be prepaid and reserved. No problem I was told. No surprise, there was no car waiting, no prepaid, nothing. I was left to find transportation for myself. Honestly, we couldn't wait to leave the hotel.

I cannot recommend this hotel. Although we got a good room rate, it is the staff quality that brings this hotel down. The owners of this hotel could have a gem if they properly trained their staff.

Room Tip: Ensure that your air conditioning works if you absolutely feel you need to stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Campbell, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel has some of the most beautiful grounds I've seen anywhere. The building surrounds a huge open square with the pool and incredibly gorgeous gardens. The hotel itself is quite modern and mostly up-to-western standards of maintenance and cleanliness. Our room was pleasant; the beds were comfortable, and the dining room was fine. One note--don't be late for the noonday buffet. We were one day and just about everything was gone, and since it was about 30 minutes to closing time for lunch they weren't restocking the buffet.

Actually, the only complaint I would have was that one of the people at the front desk was very rude. When we returnd to our room after dinner we noticed that it smelled like an open sewer. She tried to insist that it was because we'd turned on the air conditioning in the room (fat chance!). After I insisted that they send up a maintenance man and he verified the horrible smell they moved us to a different room that didn't have the problem. The odor problem could have happened at pretty much any hotel anywhere, so we didn't hold it against them.

Every other service person we encountered was friendly and gracious. The hotel is in a good location only a few blocks from the Medina.

All-in-all this was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at in Morocco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Casablanca, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I just spent my weekend at this hotel and it was a terrible experience! I have stayed in several hotels in Marrakesh and this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I'm really not a very demanding guest and I already prepared for the worst after reading the reviews, but this topped everything:

Breakfast
When I arrived at 9.30am, there was literally no food left at the breakfast buffet: no bread, chesse, ham,.. absolutely nothing, just salad - all guests were waiting and complaining and it seemed that the kitchen staff couldn't handle anything. In the end I had to serve myself coffee from the neighbour table and had to eat my joghurt with a knife since there where no more spoons left (yes, this is a 5 star hotel just reminding you on that one). The orange juice was watered down Fanta and I had to drink it out of my coffee cup (obviously after finishing my coffee) since there were no glasses left (even though I was promised to get one twice).

Reception
The reception staff was not responsive and not welcoming at all - I stood alone in front of the reception and the reception guy was not looking at me - after 2mins, I literally had to ask him if i could check in and all he did (without saying a word) was throwing a piece of paper at me with a pencil. After, I went to the room and , oops bad surprise, there was still someone in there. So I went back to the reception and instead of apologizing he was giving me a grumpy look like this was my fault. So again, without apologizing or saying any word, he just threw another key card to me with a new room number. Luckily, there was noone in the other room (again, this is a 5 star hotel).

Pool
On a note, the garden and pool area are quite nice, but be advised that this hotel is very popular among Moroccan families, so don't think of relaxing near the pool since it's full of screaming children (at least the weekends).

Spa
5-star prices: 10 EUR to use the gym and pool for an hour. 100 EUR for a hammam/massage package.

Room Tip: You don't really have a choice - if you get a good deal (50% of in my case) they will put you in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My first night in Marrakech was spent at this hotel....it was lovely! Noise free, clean and very comfortable. Beautiful lobby and pool area. Buffet was average; a la carte dinner was delicious. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My friend and I booked a 4 night break for March 2014 ( booked and paid in May 2013 ) We were looking forward to chilling out, shopping and enjoying some Moroccan sunshine. The unexpected happened upon our arrival. The accomodation supplier had gone into liquidation and as we checked in at reception, very tired after travelling from 1am and arriving around 1pm that day, we were told this news, and that we needed to pay.
No real pleasantries exchanged, no time to get your breath, just that we needed to pay, an unsympathetic look and a shrug of the shoulders, moreless, too bad ladies! But we've paid,we told them, and we don't have that sort of money to pay twice. Same as before, the woman just looked at us, no smile, they were not bothered, they just wanted paying.
As we were tired and obviously they were not prepared to let us check in, we had to hand over some of our cash we'd just exchanged for shopping. All a little stunned, we just wanted to get to our room. Because it was Sunday afternoon, we couldn't call the company " Jetline " until Monday morning.
The phone calls to Jetline and visits to reception that followed over the following two days really affected the relaxing/chilling 3 days away.The staff and management were about as friendly, helpful, courteous, caring and concerned as a wet lettuce leaf. There was no customer service to speak of, the manager, who appeared on Monday, gave me a glimmer of hope, I assumed he would be sympathetic, offer us some consolation and tell us not to worry too much as this would probably get sorted out, but as he sat down and told us there was nothing he could do, I knew then it was a very lost cause.
We were still expected to pay before we left if the company did not rectify the situation.
Other people were arriving and were met with this news. They, it seems were not requested to pay up front and were offered far more information on their arrival than we were. They however had not been met at the airport, and we, fortunately, had! That was a relief.
The series of events, like coming randomly to our room to check the mini bar after one day ( in the evening) and the next evening again, asking if we were checking out, the room keys being deactivated after one day, and again on day 3, no towels in the room on two consecutive days after cleaning the room, were just some of the things we had to go to or call reception and sort!

The cash (in dirhams ) we had given them ( secured in and envelope ) was finally offered back to us late on our 3rd night. This was just as Jetline had finally paid the hotel. It had turned into a Euro note, and was short of the amount we had paid. We were on our way to dinner (outside of the hotel ) and my friend who's money it was, and who had to get more cash from her account to see her through our time there, was rather shocked to see this. I was furious and wanted to know where "her" money was. The lady shrugged her shoulders and said "we need money, Euros, is good."
We were told to return later to the cashier to get the dirhams. ( as in later after we had been out to eat, not helpful we needed the cash they had taken! )
I think I lost count of the time we spent at reception, when maybe we could have been out enjoying our time.
We asked if we could have the complimentary dinner voucher that was offered when we arrived (offered rather nonchalantly I might add, not given with any great conviction )
We were told to see a manager to ask for this, we did, he was useless, rude, uncaring, rather obnoxious, told us how lucky we were! Not sure I know why. He refused the voucher, despite it being offered to us. As it later turned out ( after talking with Jetline upon returning home ) was included our package but nevertheless he did not honour it. Another couple had their dinner, as part of their package, but they were asked and had to pay for it when they settled the hotel bill.

It didn't end here, we asked if he would put in writing something for Jetline, really to reiterate our situation that had encroached on our short stay. Well, how silly of us to ask that, didn't I already know that was a non-starter? He agreed of course and when approached later that day, he said it wasn't done yet, but could get it in the morning ( our last day and we were departing at 8.25am ) we asked at reception, but no, there was no letter. No surprise there.

We were more than happy to depart from the Kenzi Farah, even more as it was raining!!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel, it isn't 5 star in any respect. The staff just coudn't care a less. The dining room was manic, the tables at breakfast always short of some item or other which you had to ask and wait for.
Even the bathroom sink after supposedly being cleaned, was still dirty. The indoor pool left something to be desired too, it was in need of revamping and I doubt the water was checked daily, it was murky when I went in and not much better 2 days later. There were no changing areas and no toilets, rather odd I thought for a pool area.
The hotel wasn't amazing but La Mamounia further down the road was. Go there if you can afford to!!
Stay away from the Kenzi Farah.
They don't deserve the business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Kenzi Farah? Share your experiences!