“good base for marrakech” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Kenzi Farah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #317 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“good base for marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

before going I was somewhat dubious as the reviews were not the best. however I find that aany country other than UK/USa has different 5 star expectations and as long as you understand this all is good. We have stayed in the sister hotel Kenzi Menara also which is definitely 5 star but definitely 5 star prices. The prices for the Farah were cheaper but although not on a par with the Menara it wasn't too far off. the rooms were smaller and not quite so luxurious but still extremely good and good value for what we paid. I would say it is a good 4 star. As the prices are 4 star with some good bargains this is fine.We actually ended up booking a second room as we had a family room and decided instead of us all being in 1 room it would be nice to have the space and privacy of another room for our kids. We got a double room for 348 for 5 days for 2 by going online on my ipad as this was cheaper than taking the rates at the desk they were offering. But the staff were fantastic - they even gave us for the second room one right next to our original family room for no extra money.
I have to say we found the staff very helpful in every part of the hotel right through from reception and restaurant to the maids etc. Nothing was too much trouble they were smiley and whilst they did not approach us any request or approach to them was met with a smile and immediate response.
The food was excellent - we were half board and whereas sometimes this can be hit and miss (even at a 5 star in Dubai) here it was top rate every night. The breakfast was ok, not as much choice as the Menara but certainly plenty of choice etc to have something for everyone (one of my boys missed his bacon/fried ham)
the swimming pools are brilliant and its so handy for kids to have indoor and outdoor. It was one of our boys birthday whilst we were out and his highlight was the massages in the spa. thoroughly enjoyed it!
all in all we would highly recommend the Kenzi Farah and we will be staying there again on our next visit to Marrakech - we had some curtains made for our four poster on this trip and plan to get more window curtains on next trip - we saved £1700 by having them made in the Melah area compared to the quote we had at home for the same material !

Room Tip: ask for room with pool view as these have a lovely little balcony and are quieter when you open the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

About 20 minutes walk into the hustle and bustle, but taxis in abundance and are cheap with a bit of bartering. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and well maintained. The hotel is very clean and the staff helpful. Buffet breakfast - perfectly adequate. We too had a cheap few days so were not expecting 5 star, and the hotel by British standards in my opinion is a 3 star. This is not a criticism as we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I booked a stay of 4 nights via booking.com, making use of a 3 night 'family package' offer, which has remained available in the weeks since I booked on both booking.com and the Kenzi Farah hotel's own website. I was happy with the price for a family room, for our family of four, with breakfast included. I wanted to stay somewhere away from the souks and the main square, I was glad to book somewhere with a garden and swimming pools indoor and out.

The pictures on the hotel website show the outdoor pool and gardens off to best advantage and they are probably the hotel's most attractive feature. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool and garden, which was lovely, although our balcony had no furniture to sit on! (Not sure if this is because it was February, or because they don't stretch to furniture).

The hotel is not as well run as it could be and should be, in my view. When we arrived, we understood we would be offered a drink on arrival, but we were not. There was a man making Morroccan tea in the foyer, but I never worked out whether this was a complimentary service or not. We were shown to a room and a porter took our luggage and on arrival there were two bottles of water (and possibly some fruit) in the room, but it was not the room we had booked, so we returned to reception and they provided an alternative room without quibble, but neither the drinks in the room nor our luggage transferred to the new room with us. Not a problem, but not five star service either. Our package said that it would include afternoon snacks for the kids and sweets on arrival - these never materialised and were not offered by the hotel (in fairness, I didn't chase them down either). Our package also included two things we were keen to make use of: a night time ride in a caleche around the city ramparts and an evening meal in the buffet restaurant for the family. We did ask after both of these and, after some discussion amongst the staff on the reception desk, they were provided for us. I would have liked them to have been mentioned and confirmed when we arrived, without us having to ask. But hey!

Our room was perfectly fine. It felt like many an international hotel room, which has the positive aspects of being clean, tidy, acceptable, but the disadvantage of having no distinguishing features. The room was cleaned well and promptly every morning whilst we were at breakfast. We had problems with our safe, which I notice another reviewer described too.

We ate breakfast in the hotel every day and it was a decent breakfast, not amazing, but there was a fair bit of choice to keep everyone happy. As someone else described, there were mostly sweet cereals on offer (chocolate cereal every day kept my kids happy), but there was plenty of fresh tasty bread, also fresh juices, salad, meat, fruit, pastries, yoghurt and an omelette station, where there was also fresh pancakes and Moroccan soup. The waiter brought tea, coffee and hot milk (if wanted) to your table, but the staff seemed fairly slow and ineffectual. Despite there being many waiters and the hotel less than half full we seemed to spend time every day trying to flag down a waiter for something.

When we ate the buffet dinner in the hotel one night, our kids enjoyed it most, but they love the idea of a buffet! The omelette station had become a pasta station and the pasta and sauce was ...fine. There were meat, fish and veggie dishes on offer, plus soup and salads. There were lots of desserts and fruit. The food was international, not typically Moroccan.

It was a bit too cool to enjoy the outside pool. My kids loved the indoor pool, but it was tired and needed a spruce up. The access seemed to be only from the outside and there were no changing rooms or toilets by the indoor pool (that I could see). I didn't use the gym as I was told (by the spa reception) that I had to pay 100 Dh to use it. I did have a massage and it was very nice.

One day, having thought I had seen camels on a nearby road, it asked the reception desk if there was a place nearby where we could take a camel ride, the lady on reception said yes and proceeded to try and sell me a tour, from the hotel's tour offer, which was a half day trip taking us to the Palmyrie area of Marrakech to ride a camel and drink a Morroccan tea ... for 250 Dirhams each! So, we set off in the direction of the ramparts, turned right and at a roundabout one block along there were indeed camels as I thought I had seen, and we had a ride on the camels (a long ride!) and the price we agreed, which we didn't negotiate very hard, was 250 Dh for all four of us. I have read that the camel ride in the Palmyrie is not all that scenic and ours wandered through an olive grove, which was probably about as scenic as these things get! You see camels around the outskirts in a few places, including on the road heading out of town to the Atlas Mountains.

We wanted to visit the Atlas Mountains for a day trip and we looked at a number of options, from a guided trip with a company recommended on TA which was something like 60 Euros per person for the day (but may have taken us to a more scenic valley), to the tour offered by the hotel, or at the cheapest end, just hiring a large taxi with a driver who spoke some English. We asked the hotel if they would be able to ensure we had a guide who spoke good English and would be able to give us lots of information and we were reassured of this. They also said that we would have better flexibility to ensure we had a trip suitable for young children if we had a private guide, so we booked with the hotel. Turned out we had a driver cum guide whose English was limited (my French is passable which helped), he didn't exactly regale us with stories, history and facts, although he was very nice. He followed the standard route up the Ourika Valley, which made for a pleasant day out, but I wouldn't rush back. The valley has developed a day's worth of sight-seeing opportunities around the tourists heading up the valley fromMarrakech for the day, with craft shops, an opportunity to visit a 'traditional' Berber house, surrounded by modern concrete house or apartment buildings; an opportunity to visit one of several Argan oil cooperatives where they would have you believe the ladies peel and press the nuts by hand, which seems unlikely especially as argan fruit trees don't grow in this area. All nice to visit though. At the top of the valley, in a litter strewn spot, the buses and taxis stop and you hire a guide to take you up to the cascades. We ate lunch in a nice restaurant on the river side. There are tons of cafés and restaurants with seating including sofas right on the riverside.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We got a good deal through. Travel Republic. Nice hotel, lovely, clean and spacious room, with separate sitting area, lots of nice toiletries and towels, staff friendly, but breakfast just ok. The location was perfect for trip to market and the popular square in Marrakesh. overall a pleasant stay and will at surely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel came up as an unexpected, spur of the moment, cheap winter break. Our expectations were consequently not high, but we were pleasantly surprised. It's just outside the main old part of town, which is a blessing, and provides a wonderfully calm, bright and quiet haven of relaxation. Better to pay a little extra for a "pool view" room, looking on to the extensive, well kept and tranquil gardens and outdoor pool. There's an indoor pool too, though we didn't sample the spa facilities. Food in the main restaurant is OK rather than good. All buffet style both at breakfast and dinner. The smaller terrace restaurant opens at lunch time to serve very good pizza and other snacks or typical French meals. Better food and reasonably priced too.

Our overriding satisfaction with the hotel though, was the help, attention and concern shown by staff and senior management when we succumbed to a mugging and handbag theft not far along the road outside the hotel. The staff immediately summoned the police for us and were very caring and helpful. The following day we were chauffeur driven to the police station to sign the report forms, accompanied by a senior hotel manager who smoothed everything for us. They really went above and beyond.

If contemplating a visit to Marrakech (and regardless of our bad experience, I still wouldn't recommend it as a place to visit...not much to see, dirty, extremely pushy locals everywhere, a sense of foreboding the whole time) I would certainly recommend this hotel. The rooms are good, newly refurbished, with good bathrooms, heating/aircon, very comfy beds, and clean. It's a large hotel, caters for conferences too, so may get busy at times, but has a nice bar and lounge area where you can have an aperitif, two restaurants (see above) and the spa centre. You can also change currency at reception with no commission at a good exchange rate. There's a couple of touristy shops there too, no worse nor more expensive than the souks.

Overall, the hotel, with its kind staff, lovely grounds and comfortable room was the saviour of our short stay.

Room Tip: Pay the small supplement for a pool view room. Much quieter and a pretty view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The hotel staff and management were very supportive when my husband and I were mugged in the street. They called the police for us and the management even took us to the police station to sign a statement in the hotel car the next day. A complimentary plate of fruit was sent to the room, not many hotels would do all that! I will be ever grateful to the hotel management for their support.
The gardens and the outdoor pool area were a beautiful oasis of calm, the room (on an upgrade) was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The indoor pool was adequate, if tired decoration-wise and is having a needed renovation this month. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast is plentiful if you don't arrive too late in the morning. Lunch in the terrace café offered the best food.
All in all our experience of the hotel was very good and would recommend this hotel as a good place to return to from the busy streets and sightseeing hustle and bustle.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a spacious hotel with extensive grounds situated in Hivernage, a very salubrious area of Marrakech.
The rooms are reasonably well equipped but in need of refreshment. It was not possible to make the shower attached to the bath taps work. However, the rooms were spotlessly maintained.. Although there is a hotel television channel, the in-room hotel information guide is sadly lacking with, for example, no details of dining facilities, menus, prices or opening hours save for room service.
Bizarrely, there is a charge (albeit a petty amount of 25 Dirhams- approx. £2) per night with no details of the card you need to get from reception. My safe was faulty and took a couple of visits from technical staff to sort out. However, they arrived pretty promptly.
The reception staff were very polite and obliging with the exception of a dour Arabic speaking lady at the far end of reception in front of a couple of computer screens.
The grounds were very clean and well manicured and seemed to get plenty of attention from grounds men.
The main problem which I feel does not warrant this hotel to claim 5 star status is the very slow food service. The breakfast buffet is chaotic, with coffee flasks being left on tables with no systematic collection or refilling. None of the food is itemised by product labels and the small collection of cereals are the cheap sugary variety. Staff do not observe diners, so often tables are uncleared long after diners have left.
Service in the a la carte restaurant is also tediously slow. People wandered in and seeing no staff, left! My meal of main course and desert and coffee took 2 hours and the wine had been missed off my bill (that could be regarded as a bonus!).Additionally, you sign the room charge bill and do not get one of the two copies although I insisted on a printed copy from the waiter to reconcile with my final room charges bill.
A lunchtime meal by the pool, comprising a risotto took over 35 mins instead of the usual 20 it should take! People on the neighbouring table commented that they arrived at the opening time of 12.30 but were not approached until 20 minutes later.
In summary, that is the main problem- there is not a sufficient number of well trained staff to provide the smooth seamless service which should be the case in a 5 star hotel !
However, I would add that the website through which I booked the hotel did not charge 5 star prices, so bearing that in mind, it is a hotel which is worth staying in!

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, choose a pool facing room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo