“Big hotel, little glitches” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Kenzi Farah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #326 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Wilsonville, Oregon
“Big hotel, little glitches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Well located near the medina, the hotel looks good and has a nice garden with pool the concierge in particular is very friendly and helpful, and there's an excellent and reasonably priced restaurant (La Villa Hivernage) within half a block. Rooms are spacious,but small glitches impair the experience: leaky faucets, weak internet, an inconsistent breakfast bar and spotty air conditioning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am writing this review from the hotel wifi. I have told management four times about the same problem. I put a thermometer in my room and the ambient temperature is 85F (about 30C). I keep complaining it is hot in my room and the a/c is not working. They turn on the a/c for a little while and then they turn it off barely an hour later. I am tired of waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. I can't even open a window because housekeeping tells me to close it every time they see it open. It just makes things worse because the noise and the smell makes it difficult to sleep.

The manager told me the entire hotel is run by one central a/c unit and he does not want to keep turning it on for one guest. After my complaint he flat out told me he will turn it off again in an hour or so.

The temperature outside is currently 78F (about 25C). He doesn't understand that after a day of walking and exploring I do not want to walk into a sauna. Saving a few dollars in electricity is apparently worth so much more than customer satisfaction.

I also felt it was worth mentioning that we went on a group tour with gate1, as we were leaving the breakfast buffet we saw them bringing in significantly more types of foods conveniently as the group was scheduled to leave. Other people in the group also pointed this out. This was 2 hours after breakfast actually opened. Real classy Kenzi Farah. Again, saving a few dollars while ripping off your current customers as much as you can.

Gate1 you have failed me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This hotel was selected by Gate 1 travel as part of my tour.
On the plus side, we were greeted in our rooms with a welcoming plate of sweets and some fruit. The bed was nice and comfortable and the room had a small but pleasant balcony. Breakfast was very good; I love that they give you a pot of coffee right on each table. And the staff was very nice.
On the negative side, I was surprised to discover a moth in a freshly cleaned room. Not a big deal, just surprising. And the outward appearance of the hotel is far fancier than what it actually is- the lobby is huge, the courtyard with the pool is impressive, but the rooms are merely fine...
and mine had a broken shower attachment that had obviously been broken for quite some time. I found it a bit odd that they would continue to rent out a room without taking the time to make such a simple fix.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just returned from Kenzi Farah and was quite worried by the negative reviews before we arrived especially as two women travelling in Morocco for first time. The hotel was about right for the price - not 5 star by European standards but you aren't paying 5* prices! Rooms were clean and although a bit bland perfectly OK. Cleaned to a good standard every day and everything worked fine. Pool area and gardens are lovely and well kept. The staff on reception were not over-friendly but were responsive to requests. Two areas we noted could be improved:
1. There is very little information in the hotel rooms or in reception about the actual hotel and it's facilities or the local area which is surprising as most hotels have a wealth of leaflets/maps/local info. in the rooms and in reception. We are quite independent and had done much research before arriving but a bit of local info would enhance the holiday experience for most travellers.
2. More worryingly, we were in the block which had a fire exit which came out by the ping pong table. This was convenient for access to the pool and restaurants and was freely accessible with the door open for most of our stay. However, on our last night, the door was closed and could not be opened at all from inside which gave us serious concern if there should be an emergency evacuation. We tried to use this exit several times over 24 hours but the doors were firmly bolted from the outside it seemed....
Finally, the hotel is very convenient for the Medina and nearby restaurants/ATMs etc. To walk to the Medina in less than 15 minutes, exit the main entrance and turn left once and keep going to the main road. Turn left and keep going and you come to one of the entrances to the Medina.
To find ATMs and restaurants - exit hotel and turn left and then left again.
Taxis: agree the price before you get in! Got caught out twice - once the driver told us where we were going was closed for lunch and we found ourselves outside a nearby café to 'eat while we waited' - we didn't comply and then found out that that this was false information and the second time the drive insisted we had agreed 40 MAD not 30 and had mis-understood him. Most drivers however were very obliging and very helpful and informative. Also, the old trick of the chap sidling up to you as you wait to cross the road and say ' you remember me, I work at your hotel pool/bar/kitchen - I can show you the way' - walk confidently, cross the (very busy roads when the locals do) and smile and say 'no thanks' and you will be fine! Morocco was fantastic and a wonderful experience - can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Pool view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Was surprised after travelling with easyjet holidays to find a 5* hotel at such a good price.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. We specifically asked for a room with high floor overlooking the pool, we arrive and our room is on the first floor overlooking the busy road. The room smelt of cigarette smoke and the air con was not working properly. Thankfully, the reception managed to move us to another room the next morning.

The most disappointing aspect with this hotel was probably the food and the fly's. I understand there are is a lot of food wastage in Marrakech and there are fly's everywhere, but the hotel complex was covered with them too. Wanting to relax by the pool, you couldn't, as you were constantly being surrounded by fly's whilst sunbathing. You would of thought the hotel realised this problem by spraying some sort of deterrent, but I think most people just accepted it.

The food was extremely disappointing. Every night they served pretty much the same dishes, there wasn't a lot to choose from unless you pay extra and eat at the hotels al a carte restaurant. Also, there is a 100 Dirham tourism tax per night, which reception did not mention to us upon check-in. It was only until we were checking out that they sprung this upon us.

One thing to be extremely careful about is the people of Marrakech. They will do everything they can to take your money. One local guide, working on behalf of the hotel, offered us a tour of the old town, 200 Dirham and no extra costs, only to find that the tours of the leather factory cost us 400 Dirham, and the local merchant also pressured us into giving him 50 Dirham for taking photos. Do not be persuaded into these types of things as they will only try and rip you off.

I would love to say that I enjoyed my stay in Marrakech, but my own opinion is that I would not return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been there for a conference, so the price of the room had not been negotiated by me and I cannot comment on the value, but I can provide other useful pieces of information.
The location is convenient: it is not fare from the medina, and you can walk there, rather than taking a taxi, if you like.
The hotel encloses a large court, with pool, garden, trees. You hear birds singing, which is nice.
The other observations are less positive.
The rooms are altogether fine, but they lack any personality, any style that you may find in other hotels in Morocco.
The personnel at the reception seem unhappy to have to deal with you. Apart from charging your stay upon arrival - not just taking a record of your credit card, I have experienced the following conversations: "Q: Can I find some medicaments at the hotel, or is there a drugstore nearby? A: Yes there is one rather close. Q: Could you show me on a map where the drugstore is? A: No. Go to the hotel shop tomorrow morning and buy a map".
One or two days later, you managed to find a map, and this time you approach the reception with your map open and a question; the dialogue is so effective that only one sentence is exchanged and you are fully handled: "Q: Could you show me on the map where the souk de .... is located, approximately? A: Take a taxi."
Fortunately, other members of the personnel (the porters, for instance), seem to be more available and interested in your needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My extended family and I (4 adults, 2 children under 10) stayed at the Kenzi Farah from 23/10 to 28/10. Having read the negative comments before, I was a little apprehensive to say the least, and probably should have read them before booking - you live and learn! We were very pleasantly surprised - from the greeting at reception, to the room size, the restaurant and bar staff and location. Within the first 10 minutes we had an issue with the room safe - a member of staff was with us within 5 minutes and it was sorted. The pool area and gardens are very well laid out with plenty of space. Food and drink can be taken around the pool without a problem. A walk to the main square takes just under 20 minutes and is well worth the trip. Taxis are always around if needed - average cost to the square would be approx. - 80 MAD (about £6.50) and to the airport 150MAD (£12 ISH) - this was for 6 people. We had lunch in the pool bar on 2 occasions, which was great (pizza/pasta etc) The bar in the bottom of the hotel is beautiful and relaxing with live music most nights. The only issue we had during our stay was the bill at the end. We had booked via Groupon (discount voucher offering various deals in the UK) Our deal included a 3 course evening meal on one of the nights. We chose to do this on the final night, took the voucher along with us to the (buffet) restaurant, to be told that it was the a la carte restaurant we needed, and the waiter walked us across to the correct one. In the morning, when it came to settle the bill, the total cost of the meal had been added to the room. It was explained to me that drinks and the 2 meals for the children were not included in the deal, which was fine, and I agreed to pay for those. Instead, they took off the cost of the childrens meals and drinks and wanted me to pay for the 4 adult meals as we had gone into the wrong restaurant! I explained that it was actually one of their waiters who had told us to go to the wrong restaurant. Long story short, it was sorted but only after a 45 minute discussion at reception in the morning. My advice would be to pay for meals and drinks in cash there and then, and avoid putting anything on your room to avoid confusion. The manager in fairness did come out twice during this and finally sorted it. There has been a recent change in management, and it would appear this has had a big impact on the service levels in the hotel as I certainly didn't see anything to warrant some of the previous adverse comments - depends on the staff on the day I guess!! Hope this helps!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kenzi Farah? Share your experiences!