“Good not great - typical 5 star for Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kenzi Farah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #321 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Hayes, United Kingdom
“Good not great - typical 5 star for Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the Kenzi Farah for five days in mid November, it has an impressive reception and was well kept, clean and tidy. The rooms are average size and again kept clean with linen and towels changed daily.

The breakfast was ok and we had lunch a couple of times which was fine. We ate out in the evenings and found some very interesting little restaurants not far from the hotel. The hotel is situated a short distance from the Medina, which is must see.

The pool area had plenty of sunbeds and was not too cramped or busy when we were there.

This hotel is fine for a short break and to see the delights of Marrakech, after all you only really sleep there and spend most of the time out and about sight seeing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelKenziFarah, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Kenzi Farah, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us at Kenzi Farah Marrakech.They work exceptionally hard to make sure that every gust feels special. Thank you so much for staying with us.

We hope to see you in near future

933 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel is the last one in Marrakech you should stay at, the management are a bunch of crooks who will and do rip you off at any and all opportunity. My partner and I were accused of cancelling our booking and accused of not paying tourist tax! Only my insistence, it took three days out of our holiday, and me threatening to take action against hotel got us limited peace. When I asked for my booming paperwork they refused! When I asked for managers name guess what they refused,
If you plan to come to Marrakech then do its like know here else, BUT do not use this hotel at any cost, incidently the travel rep Rashid was useless and as big a liar and thief as the management. I intend to pursue this so look for further postings!!!

Room Tip: Look for different hotel!!!!
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Hotel has an impressive entrance and a really nice garden and pool area. It is located in a nice part of Marrakech and not too far away from the Medina. The Lobby does not have A/C, room decor not 5star but clean and spacious. Breakfast offer average and I do not suggest to order any food as it is not worth the money. Very disappointing were the staff, besides the porter not one seemed to be genuine and rather miserable and more focused on their own conversations than looking after guests. What staff did not know was that my friend speaks arabic and how staff speaks about guests behind their backs was really not nice to hear.

If you are looking for a clean Hotel and do not care about Service than this will do but if you do want staff that are genuine this Hotel clearly is not for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am always a bit budious when reading other peoples negative reports and am often right to be so, but this time they were right.
The Hotel,
Pro,
It does look and is nice and clean and reasonabley well maintained. Their is a good sized pool with nice gardens surrounding it.
Con,
Of the three restaurants it boasts one is for meals that are booked with the accomodation (B+B, H/B etc) so no good if you are on B+B and want an evening meal, one was closed and the other had very little choice and the menus were only about 25% of it in English so without speaking a little bit of French you would struggle.
Of the two bars again one was closed.
The Room.
Pro,
The room was clean and as per usual a double was two singles pushed togeth but they were very big and comfortable. The bathroom and toilet were seperate which in a country where a lot of european visitors get a bat tummy is a good thing. The bathroom was roomy and well furnished and the rest of the room was reasonabley furnished and adequate.
Con,
The toilet had an extractor fan in the ceiling which I assume was supposed to come on with the light as there was no other switches but didn't work making the 5 foot by 3 1/2 foot room an unbearable sweat box. The air con worked but was a bit weak and although it did eventuall cool the room but if you were out the cleaners would turn it off when they did your room so you came bake to an oven that took several hours to be cooled again. No good if you're just popping back to your room for an hour or two before going back out.
Unfortunately in the attempts to keep things cool everywhere is marble so corridors echo and amplify every bit of noise including other guest slamming doors shut and being very loud on the way to their rooms at 3 and 4 am.
The Staff.
There are a lot of comments about rude and unhelpful staff and I have to admit this was true on our visit. There was one lady when we checked in at reception who was lovely and very helpful, the rest throughout our stay were rude and unhelpful. After reading other peoples post about it appearing that the rudeness was aimed at people who didn't speak the local language or French we thought it would be ok for us as my partner speak a reasonable amount of French and I speak a small amount but enough to get by in France. This was not the case, despite our french the staff were still rude and unhelpful. When you travel in europe and at least try to comunicate in the languages of the country you tend to earn some respect for at least making the effort but not in this hotel, yet when dealing with other guests that were french and even some spanish and italian guests they were completely different in their attitude. This was not just reception staff but restaurant staff too. The only ones that made any attempt to be friendly (apart from the one lady at reception) were the cleaners, I wonder why that could of been???
The Food.
Breakfast is the usual for North African countries such as Egypt. Lots of breads and jam, some chease and cold meat, a selction of fruits, some hot foods (local sausagges and potato gratin of sorts) and an omlette chef. There was also a lady cooking a local style pancake outside and some salad but do remember that like other countries the salad is washed in tap water so can lead to upset stomachs if you're not used to it. All in all not as bad as people were saying, however we did get down to breakfast early so we could go out and about befor the sun got up.
The staff in the resteraunts were again unhelpful and somewhat rude towards us as English chosing to bring tea and coffee to other nationalities that arrived 10/15 minutes after us before us. On one morning I went and got the coffee and milk pots myself from the serving station to the upset of the waiter, the next morning he didn't prioritise others over us but vertualy slammed the pots down when he brought them over sporting a face like a smacked bum.

All in all I would say this is probably a nice place if you are Morrocan, French, Spanish or Italian, but if you are British then I recomend you find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have just returned from Kenzi Farah, which was my second visit to Marrakesh. I was and am still shocked at the way this hotel is run and how poor the service and hotel in general is. I have stayed in 5 star accommodation at the same price prior to visiting Kenzi Farah and can confirm that this hotel does not match the star rating it has been granted, nor does it match the price paid.

These are some of the problems I experienced while in resort:

1. Asked reception in excess of 5 times to hire/buy a converter plug. The staff were extremely unresponsive and didn't seem to care at all.
2. The floor that we stayed in, 4th floor, room 2403, smelt really bad.
3. I even had problems getting a bucket of ice. All I wanted to do was cool a bottle of red wine (which I had purchased from the hotel, which was served hot and undrinkable) and I was passed from bar to bar and then reception. The staff looked at me as if I was asking for gold.
4. My traveling companion had no help with getting a sunbed mattress or towels, whereas the same man helped another lady.
5. No prices for drinks or food outside of the half board offering. It is very much pot luck what you pay on any given day.
6. There are no labels on the food and drinks in the restaurant. The food is extremely poor with exception to the Morrocan evening, which seemed a lot better. Most evenings the meals we endured, left bad/off tastes in our mouths. The only food that seemed edible was the sweets. Two evenings out of four, I approached the chef that was cooking in the restaurant. I stood in front of him and asked what he was making, to which I received no response or acknowledgement.
7. The air conditioning in the room is very bad and non existent in other parts of the hotel.
8. Stained towels and bathmat in bathroom.
9. Loose shower rail in bathroom (quite dangerous).
10. Nearly all of the staff are rude and do not even acknowledge you.

On the first day, we reported all of the above to the hotel and our travel rep, who addressed the issues with the management. The management promised to sort out all of the issues that we had addressed and said they wanted to ensure we had a good stay.

Three days on from the day we addressed the complaint, nothing had changed or improved. On checking out, we were incorrectly charged for our drinks and food while in resort. We again expressed our concerns with our entire stay to be met when an arrogant response saying we should of complained more. In other words, kept on going back to reception to resolve the issues.

In the end the manager waived the charges on the bill, however it took 15 minutes of dispute where he was talking over us and not listening at all.

This hotel is not for British guests, it really felt like every other nationality was being treated in a far superior manner to us.

The only saving grace is that the room (bar the air conditioning) was moderately comfortable and that the tours to get you out of this resort were superb.

I would really advise anyone considering to book this hotel, to seriously think about whether they want to have a good experience in Marrakesh; as if it was not for the excellent excursion to the Atlas mountains, we would of considered leaving early.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very nice property and well maintained. Trying to get anything via the front desk is nearly impossible. We made four trips to the front desk just to get some towels in our room. They were never very concerned but always said "towels are coming shortly" but never came. The pool was beautiful and the grounds are very well manicured. The restaurants and bar are great and it was lovely to sit outside in the evenings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelKenziFarah, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel Kenzi Farah, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for choosing Kenzi Farah on your visit to Marrakech. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We share all the feedback with the management and staff and such feedbacks help in staff motivation and recognition.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Marrakech.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is an unusual hotel. The rooms and the structure of the hotel make this a suitable business hotel, but the restaurants and services make this a tourist hotel. I found the rooms spacious and comfortable but as a business guest felt a bit out of place surrounded by tourists. the central pool and gardens area is within the hotel complex and is a great place to relax. The only bar is small with few staff. I echo the comments regarding the breakfast service which is terrible and makes you feel like you are on the world's worst package tour. that being said this is a cheaper hotel than many in Marrakesh and is good value for money for your short stay tourist guest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Kenzi Farah? Share your experiences!