“Terrible hotel with terrible employees!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel

Save Saved
You added Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel to your Saves list
Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Ibrahim El Mazini - Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #280 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible hotel with terrible employees!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one week from the 26th of June until the 3rd of July. I really need to share my experience as this hotel does not deserve more than 2 stars and if you are looking for a relaxing holiday- this is not a place for you:

Let me start with the details :

- we waited for more than 90 minutes at the airport for other passengers who never arrived before getting transferred to the hotel.
- once at the hotel, I kindly asked for a glass of water and the lady at the reception told me that if I wanted water, I needed to go to the bar and purchase a glass... what a welcome.
- we were allocated a terrible room with view on the street- smelt disgusting so I asked the receptionist for another room considering the hotel was almost empty. She told me we would need to pay extra for a room with a pool view- she ended up giving it to us after much negotiation. Please note the room was as bad (carpet, weird smell, very old furniture), it's just the view that was different. So far though... all okay.
- there are cats around the pool (around 7 when we arrived). This is not okay but what's even more unacceptable is that they come into the dining room at night. They apparently did try to take them away unsuccessfully.
- Every morning starting 7 am, there's so much noise coming from the corridors. People slamming doors, staff arguing.
- On the Sunday night, a couple was arguing for hours in the room next door and at some point they started being violent towards each other which is when my sister called up security. After 20 minutes of arguing and noise, they separated the couple. No apology was given to us who had to bear all the verbal and physical violence for hours.
- the last day was the most interesting : as we were packing and checking under the bed we had not forgotten anything, we found cold cigarettes under the bed at which point I completely lost my patience. I went to the reception with the pictures (which you can find attached to this review) and asked to speak to Mister Raik Bouhmouch who is the Hotel director as nobody was taking us seriously. He was only coming back the next day at 9 am and we were leaving at 5 am for our flight home which made it impossible for us to speak to anybody. I then spoke to the restaurant staff who said -and I quote - 'We can't let the manager know about this, we need to sort this out amongst ourselves'. Then everybody started speaking in Arabic. The F&B manager came to speak to us and looked shocked when we showed him the pictures. He then tried to explain the situation and offered us a tea as a compensation (!). I asked for Mister Bouhmouch's details and I was then told there was no point in contacting him as he is on holiday until the 1st of August and that he doesn't check his emails- big lie obviously since he is responding to the reviews on Trip Advisor.
The drama continues ... as I went to pay my bill (only drinks since we paid for everything else upfront) I asked the F&B manager for a commercial gesture (the bill was around £50) at which point he started shouting at us saying that we were the ones who put the cold cigarettes under the bed- the fact that somebody could even think of doing this purposely is beyond my understanding. We were shouted at in front of everybody, insulted and all the staff started speaking in Arabic so we could obviously not understand what they were saying. As we went back into our room, the mess under the bed was cleaned even though I specifically asked not to remove it as I wanted to show it to the director and/or the duty manager (who coincidentally turned out to be sick that night as well!). We obviously did not sleep at all and the next morning, cherry on the cake, as we check out, the guys at reception tell me 'Oh you're the people who were creating drama last night'. My sister literally cried in the arms of the Thomas Cook person who came to pick us up.

Please note that we gave all our pain-killers to those same people when they started Ramadan- which to be fair is something staff should never asked clients for, but we are nice people and kindly gave our medicines to them.

I must say I have stayed in many hotels thanks to my job. I have been in the best hotels in the world but I have also stayed in some very humble places. However never have I been treated this way. A few members of staff are so arrogant, rude and lack simple manners. It's a pity because that takes the shine away from some of the staff who are great!

These holidays were so stressful and we never want to talk about them. I am of course following this up with the company that sold us the trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Raïk B, Directeur général at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Julie,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us with regards to your recent stay at the Es Saadi Hotel.

I regret however to read that you were not happy with some of its aspects and let me begin by expressing my apologies for the disappointment you experienced.

With regards to the description of the room and the service that lead to your negative feedback, I am very sorry to hear that you do not feel having received the quality of service at our hotel to the level on which we pride ourselves. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant Managers and that immediate action have been taken.

We are a people orientated business, which relies greatly on many individuals performing at high levels. There are bound to be rare occasions when these levels are unfortunately missed. I mention this not as an excuse but rather in the hope that you will consider that your experience was the exception, not the rule.

I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Es Saadi Hotel. Please rest assured, that we will do our utmost to ensure your next stay will be remembered for all the right reasons.

With renewed apologies and assuring you of the best of our intentions at all times, I remain,

Es Saadi Gardens & Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here some time ago and really enjoyed it but only now feel the need to write a review as the negative comments are not a true reflection of the hotel
The location is excellent, the grounds are pretty and the food and staff are of a high quality
We would not hesitate to come back and are coming back in august with the whole family.

The only small point is that it is difficult to get communication with the hotel sometimes, as I have on this instance booked two rooms but want then inter connecting as we have three children.
Can you advise how I can get this actioned

Furthermore the hotel does some excellent tours and is excellent in providing tours
I have recommended this to a number of friends and families who have also stayed recently

I hope this time I will also be able to write a glowing report of my stay

Room Tip: If you need to avoid noise ask for a quiet room and the staff will do their best to help
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Raïk B, Directeur général at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Razellam,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel.

We also want to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. Regarding your booking for two connecting rooms, we haven't received them yet but can assure you they will be no problem.

Your satisfaction and your comments are an encouragement to us in the pursuit of making each stay a memorable one.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Es Saadi.

With all our very best regards

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

After less than 10 mins by taxi from the airport, a group of four of us arrived at around 10.30am on the Friday morning and although we hadn't stayed the night before the staff were happy for us to take advantage of the full cooked breakfast whilst we waited for check-in (we weren't charged for this). After check-in the hotel provided maps of the city and information on how to get around. Staff were professional, courteous, accommodating and provided a high level of service. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were clean and we got the pool view we asked for, (pool view recommended) the decor was authentic and well maintained though a little dated. All rooms have AC, which is essential!

The pool was clean and well maintained and pool staff and waiters were always on hand to see to your every need and the Spa just by the pool was such a treat (full body massage was heaven).

Having the Es Saadi Palace next door meant that we could visit the on site art gallery and have dinner in the sumptuous restaurant. It was Ramadan when we were there, which meant both hotels were lovely and quiet but some services weren't available and some shops closed until late afternoon/early evening and whilst this didn't really affect our trip I did feel for the staff who were serving us food when they weren't allowed to eat it. The Casino was open but hours were restricted.

There are 4 boutique shops on site if you forget anything you can usually pick it up there or ask the hotel.

We got a really good bed and breakfast deal on double rooms with twin beds, which was made even better as we split the cost of the 2 rooms between us.

I would heartily recommend the hotel and would definitely stay there again. We were there for just two nights but that didn't stop us having a wonderful, memorable time.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. There is a small charge but the alternative may be a brick wall!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bevie21,

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your feedback which I've shared with my team. We take great pride to constantly try to improve our guest experience.

I'm happy that you have noticed the excellent location from our hotel and very good facilities well priced for such high quality given.

Looking forward to welcome you back very soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed three night for a work visit. The public areas are really nice. The pool bar shuts at about 5 or 6pm which made for a quiet beautiful pool area in evening allowing me to sleep with windows open (on third floor) during nice weather in April. The view from room over pool toward Casino and faint outline of Atlas mountains beyond was lovely. Dinner in the French Gastronomie restaurant was delicious. Buffet breakfast was nice (nothing over the top) and overall service was perfect. If something could be improved it would be that the rooms are a little dated (they are not bad; just a bit dated) and the shower/bath with moving glass panel feels a little awkward/insecure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Raïk B, Directeur général at Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel, and tell you that I do really appreciate it.
Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Es Saadi Gardens & Resort wishes to give, it is certain that your comment pushes my team and myself to continue our efforts, as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s work contribute to make our guests stay pleasant.
Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Es Saadi Hotel,

I remain,

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is a very nice hotel with a lovely pool. Plenty of choice for breakfast. The food in the hotel restaurant was very acceptable without being outstanding. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance of Place Jemma El Fna. The room was attractive and very clean, with a nice balcony. They even brought out a birthday cake to celebrate my wife's 70th and we had "Happy Birthday" sung in English, French and Berber! Wonderful.
If you want to stay in the old heart of Marrakech in amongst the throng and noise, stay in a Riad within the wall. If you want good access to the sights but to stay in a modern hotel in peace and quiet, I would certainly choose Es Saadi Gardens Hotel again. (Stayed as part of a Saga tour)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Es Saadi Hotel.
I also was delighted that you liked the facilities we provided and especially the service you received of my team. I have passed on your kind comments to them.
Once again, I thank you for sharing with us your message, and looking forward to welcoming you on a next trip to Marrakech,

Best regards

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Spent 2 days at the Es Saadi Gardens hotel during a 1-week trip in Morocco. The hotel is very nice but it does not deserve its 5-star rating. There was a very noisy animation that weekend I stayed around the pool, with music way too loud. Hopefully, the hotel allowed guest to use the pool in the Palace area, which was way more quiet. But overall, I haven't felt I got the value I paid for.

They offer breakfast buffet with a mix of Moroccan and Western options, so for those of you not willing to try, you'll be able to eat "like at home". Haven't had lunch and dinner so I can't comment but it isn't cheap so you may want to go out and take advantage of the many dinning options.

Employees are nice and courteous.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Karym,

This message to inform you that I carefully read your comment you wrote on the TripAdvisor website after your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel last month.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotel, and I’m happy to read that the service you were given at the Es Saadi Hotel has been up to your expectations.

I want you to know that we consider your comments very seriously and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach the irreproachable level of service that you are expected.

Regarding the animation, please allow me to explain; we had a very special Event: The Sismix that took place that week

Hoping we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again

Yours faithfully.

Es Saadi General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We are currently staying here and couldn't be happier. Staff are more than helpful, rooms are great, breakfast is fab & it's fantastic value for money.
Although it's seems the majority of guests are French, we don't feel out of place & every staff member I have met has spoken English.
It's a great base away from the hustle & bustle of the old town yet close enough to get there easily enough.
Breakfast is great, huge selection.
It's not the cheapest for food & drink but still less than you pay in uk at a hotel.
Pool is lovely & there is no fight for a lounger.
Although the casino & nightclub is a stone throw away we have not once heard Noise from there in the evening.
Overall very pleased and would come back again.
Please do not be put off by negative reviews, I had been & there was no need.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Es Saadi Hotel Marrakech.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Es Saadi Hotel, we sincerely hope to see you again.

With all our very best regards

Looking forward to that occasion,

Es Saadi Hotel General Manager

Been to Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel? Share your experiences!