“Our Oasis in Marrakech...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel

Save Saved
You added Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel to your Saves list
Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Ibrahim El Mazini - Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #284 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, australia
“Our Oasis in Marrakech...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel as part of an organised tour of Morocco - as the cost was included in our tour we are unable to comment on "value".
We really liked this hotel, but would probably class it as more of a 4 than a 5 star. It was clean and tidy and the staff were friendly and helpful with the possible exception of the pool area/bar staff who seemed very disorganised (too many managers, not enough workers) - it took approximately 30 minutes to get 2 beers! We had one dinner at the hotel, which was part of the tour and a fixed menu - pretty average. The breakfast is a great location by the pool, but again, average.
So a couple of niggling complaints, but overall a good hotel and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were a party of 5 ladies and we stayed in the Es Saadi for 4 nights in early May. It is classed as a 5 star hotel but as most foreign countries I would say it was a good 4 star. Staff on arrival v efficient and pleasant. The hotel has a faded grandeur which I liked, Art Deco dotted around. We paid extra for a pool view room which did not disappoint , we had working air con a nice view and a clean bedroom with adjoining doors to our friends room next door.
The first night we ended up in the ThéâtrO nightclub on the sight which is free entry for residents. It was AMAZING a truly fantastic night. Drinks are expensive but then again everywhere in Marrakech is so the hotel prices were on a par with other restaurants. We also ate at the Casino on sight which was a beautiful place I highly recommend that!
You can walk to the Medina from the hotel in 15 mins, just don't get an unofficial tour guide by accident! Luckily we didn't go where he wanted us to!
Breakfast was buffet style although they did have scrambled and boiled eggs on toast and you can sit outside which was v pleasant. The poolside lunches were exceptional, lovely big salads, club sandwiches and nice fries for aprox £10 each. Pool manager was not a nice man though and quite nasty on occasion!
The place hotel in the grounds is truly stunning and although u cannot use their pool unless u get a day pass, you can walk round the gardens and have lunch or a drink.
I have read many reviews on here before I went and can honestly say that some people complain about anything and everything. You get what you pay for and the price of the hotel room was not a 5 star price. My only criticism was that there were not enough sunbeds to go round and I suggest u move some of your eating area and put some more sunbeds on for residents.
Overall a great trip and I would recommend staying here!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Man, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have just returned from 1 week in the Es Saadi Hotel and gardens this is marketed as a 5 star hotel and I am sorry to say it is not 5 star. The room we had was comfortable and clean but we had birds nesting in the facia of the patio doors on to the balcony which made a noise through the first half of the week all through the night. The hotel was full so we were unable to move. The food was nice but expensive , but to be fair all food in Marrakech is expensive The service at both the restaurant and pool bar was hap hazard with staff arguing and not delivering the correct food etc or being really slow .What really let this hotel down was the pool area and the use of sun beds and parasols both of which there certainly was not enough of .Guests were in the pool and their belongings were removed by the pool attendant for other guests to use their bed which caused arguments with both staff and guests , the pool decking was breaking up and the centre island in the pool had a greasy line on the tiles that even though the pool area was cleaned every day the tiles on the island were never scrubbed. This hotel needs updating it is sold on the back of the Es Saadi palace which is 5 star and the gardens are linked, you can walk through them and use the restaurants and club but the fabulous pool area of this hotel is out of bounds.I was really disappointed and by Wednesday wanted to come home as I was fed up of having to wait or fight for a sunbed . The souks in Marrakech were good but if I went again it would be to the coast or mountains or only for a 3 or 5 night break and I would stay elsewhere as this hotel was extremely overpriced .

Room Tip: try and ask for a 4th floor room if you go as you can see the mountains and also ask for a poolside...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Casablanca, Morocco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went to the palace side of the hotel at first, and I was so impressed - but we were told our reservation was on the other side of the hotel. The staff transferred over our bags, and took us over. We could instantly see a difference, it didn't look like the hotel had ever been renovated, it has a very cheap look about it. Our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be for another 15 minutes, as we were meeting friends we left our baggage and told them we would return later. Once we checked into the room, we could again see the how outdated and basic the room was - I couldn't believe we were paying £125 a night and that this was a 5* hotel - felt a lot more like a 3*. The water was spilling out of the shower head and the drain made a gurgling sound every 30 seconds! Whilst I was taking an afternoon siesta I could hear someone in the hall way shouting expletives! The breakfast was also a huge disappointment - a very average selection which is cleared away at 10:30 on the dot, not even a piece of bread remaining. I will definitely not make the mistake of staying here again despite the great location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole - on the sunshine coast!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon after a good flight with BA. The Es Saadi Gardens & Resort Hotel is only about 15 minutes from the airport so we were soon in our room (number 107 on the first floor.)

The room was clean and spacious. There was a small fridge/mini-bar, a safe and a furnished balcony overlooking the pool. There was complimentary fruit, flowers and bottled water in the room which was a nice touch. The bathroom had a bath with shower over and a wash hand basin. Toiletries and bathrobes are provided. There was plenty of shelf space. A sliding glass door led to a toilet and bidet. The air-conditioning was working fine and maintained the room at a pleasant 20 degrees. The daytime temperature outside was in the high 30s but this was unseasonably high and normally it would be in the mid to high 20s.

We were staying on half-board. Dinner service in the Restaurant Gastronomique does not start until 19:30 but the food was very good, particularly the fish which was an option on the table d'hôte menu every night. For those with a big appetite please note that the portions are good but not huge! There was also the facility to eat in the Palace hotel if you so desired, where there are two more restaurants. We slept well on the nights we were there and there was no external noise to disturb us, nor was there noise from other guests – it's just not that sort of hotel I am pleased to say! I noticed that some previous guests made reference to the noise from the cars and taxis leaving the Casino in the early hours. We did not experience this even though our pool-view room faced the direction of the Casino. Maybe they heard the noise because they were there earlier in the season and had their balcony doors open before the air-conditioning was put on. Other previous reports have mentioned a bad drains smell but we didn't experience this.

Breakfast was superb and was taken outside in very pleasant sylvan surroundings. We are not usually great fans of buffet breakfasts but this was, without question, really exceptional. Just about anything you could want, hot and cold. The bread deserves a mention - it was lovely and fresh-baked every day and exactly what you would expect at a French-owned hotel.

The swimming pool (heated I think) was good although not quite as clean as I would have liked. The grouting around the tiles just under the surface was growing a black mould which needs cleaning off! Having said that, we saw that every morning around 07:00 the cleaners ran the pool vacuum cleaner over the bottom and top of the pool. We did not see if or when the pool water was tested or chlorinated but the water did not have a chlorine smell. There were plenty of sunbeds and an adequate number of sun shades. Big towels were provided. The pool is a standard depth all over (1.4 metres) and has access steps. There is also a central fountain that sprays into the pool. All in all very nice.

The hotel is situated in large enclosed gardens and these are shared by the other more 'up market' hotel in the grounds called 'The Palace'. Indeed the nicest parts of the garden are around the Palace hotel. The only problem is that there are no comfortable seats provided where one could sit in the shade to enjoy them. The Es Saadi Gardens hotel is really the poor relation with its own smaller pool. Although we could use the 'facilities' of the Palace hotel we were not allowed to use their pool. I can understand this but it is irritating because their pool was three times the size of ours, far nicer (and cleaner) than ours and hardly seemed to be used the week we were there.

There are a few small shops in the hotel grounds for postcards, papers, books, and a few local crafts etc. There is also an ATM in the hotel lobby and a small bureau-de-change. I should mention that the exchange rates in Morocco are government controlled and are the same everywhere. There is no point in queuing to change money at the airport on arrival if you don't need it to pay for a taxi etc. If you are with a party then you will only be delaying everyone's departure from the airport and you won't be popular! There is also free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, even at the pool side which is a big bonus.

So far so good. So what did we not enjoy so much? Well generally the staff were great. Spoiled only by one or two who seemed a little 'surly' but you can get them anywhere. However it would seem that to overcome this you need to tip! Once you start doing this you will see the service improve no end!

Secondly you should note that this is essentially a French hotel. I would say that 85% of the guests were French, 10% Moroccan and a 5% mixture including English. Understandably French is the language of choice in the hotel and if you speak French you do get better service. We were fortunate in that respect as we do.

That brings me to drinks. The bottom line is that they are very expensive in the hotel. For instance a very small bottle of beer, 25cl costs 55 Dihrams or approx £4.40. That is £17.60 a litre or around £8.00 a pint. Beer in the small shop, outside the hotel and about ten minutes walk away costs 16 Dihrams or approx £1.25 for 50cl which is £2.50 a litre or £1.10 a pint. That is some mark up even for a hotel and in my opinion totally unjustified.

We did attend the Morocco night during our stay in lieu of our dinner in the restaurant – what a mistake! We did not enjoy it. The entertainment was far too loud. The tables were very low making it difficult to eat without suffering from indigestion! The candlelight, whilst very atmospheric, made it too dark to see what you were eating and there was far, far too much food. A terrible waste. The food was also very bland. We expected Moroccan food to be a bit spicy but this meal was not. So I would not recommend the Moroccan evening in the hotel.

So would we stay here again? Well we would probably save up a little longer and book into the Palace hotel for that extra bit of luxury.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms quieter if the balcony doors are closed when the air conditioning is on. Rooms on th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed for 1 week at the Es Saadi. Not the most pleasant welcome on arrival and when I asked for a 5 Star hotel with my booking agent I was surprised to find myself in more of a 3 star at best.

Young lady at the bar (evenings) was a delight and pointed out the best restaurants Marrakech had to offer. All walking distance from the hotel which was a plus.

Rooms were basic, The cleaners were very good and very friendly unlike most of the other staff at the hotel.

Wi-Fi was free in the rooms and around the pool which was great as I was working most days I was there. I went down for breakfast on the one occasion which I found tinned fruit and food I wouldnt give to a stray dog. Trying to get a coffee from the many staff was pretty painful at times also. Except if I asked in French then it would of been no problem at all.

If I did go back to Marrakech I would stay only at the Sofitel which I visited and was stunning to say the least.

If you want some nice weather in Easter though Marrakech delivered hands down.

Cheers

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Es Saadi Hotel was to be the highlight hotel for our tour of Morocco in March. Despite booking the holiday months in advance, on the day of arrival we were told a previous booking had overrun and our party were to be offered an inferior alternative. Eventually an out of town option was negociated (location not desirable), but we felt snubbed and unwelcome in what is a fine city. It also leads one ask, rightly or wrongly, what money was offered for them to make that decision. Not a very professional or moral way to conduct business.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Es Saadi Gardens & Resort - Hotel? Share your experiences!