“Excellent hotel and we will definitely return there for our next trip to Marrakech.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #181 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed at the Tikida Garden hotel in Marrakech for 7 nights for my birthday in March 2010 and we found the hotel to be be excellent, exclusive and modern. It has good facilities on site including a very good size outdoor swimming pool sourrounded by lush greenery and trees. We can't get over the orange trees in the garden - fresh oranges in the trees! There is a pool bar and snacking area and you can play tennis, boules, volley ball , crazy golf and even archery in the grounds. If you fancy some pampering, you can visit the Spa centre where you can have massage treatments. There is a mini hair salon, gym and indoor swimming pool. We had half board at the hotel and that was a wise decision because it was easy and convenient to eat at the Orange restaurant where a cold and hot burffet was served each evening. Breakfast included fresh fruit salads, bread rolls and croissants, cereal, barley oatmeal and hot buffet of omellette, tiny sausages, tomatoes, scrambled eggs and boiled eggs. There is the Zanzibar bar where you could enjoy a few drinks in soft and plush seats and being entertained by either a singing duo or live band. The representatives from the Animation team were very friendly and the leader, Salim is a friendly chap and a good dancer. We had a wonderful time in the hotel and the staff there are very friendly and only too willing to help and service you, in particularily,the waiting staff, Mohammed and Noreedin - so look out for them if you do visit the hotel.

Tips : We took out day excursions from the hotel to the waterfall in Ouzoud in the Atlas mountain and to Esaouira, a seaside town which was definitely worth a visit. Buy your wooden crafts and souveniors here because the prices are cheaper than the souqs in the medina. The Jeema Al Fna square is worth a visit and its souqs. Always start with a third of the asking price and work it up to a price you are happy to pay - haggle hard. Avoid the tannery and anyone in the souq who tried to show you where the tannery is and claiming they are not doing it for money. We sat in the balconies of the Les Premices and Les Terrasses De C'Alhambra cafes and had lunches and watched the activities in the Square. Ladies, it is advisable to dress modesty in trousers/jeans or long skirts and long sleeves blouses, a cardigan or large scarf is always handy to cover your shoulders. Taxi from the airpor to the hotel costs 150 dirhams and 50 dirhams taxi ride from the hotel to the medina. The hotel courtesy bus takes you to the new town, Gueliz and have lunch at the La Poste restaurant in the Plaza, nice place.
Not all bars or restaurants serve alcohol, however, the beer and wines reflect UK prices, so they are not cheap but hey, we were on holiday, so we didn't mind so much. We had a lovely time in Marrakech and the stay in Tikida Garden was a good choice. Recommend that you book your stay as Half board. Bon vacation! Anne & Rob, Chester, UK.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Polish first
Arnhem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed here 1 week and it was very nice. The hotel is located away from the buzz and it has a very nice garden and pool. Enough beds around the pool.

I don't understand people judging this accommodation based on other things that happened during their holidays. This is northern Africa and things are different from Western Europe. The food as well.... the food (buffet) in the restaurant is good! We didn’t know what to expect since this was our first trip to Africa but it was really good. Things taste a slightly different but in general it is really ok.

The people are friendly although some people don't speak English. In the evening there is not much to do.

It is easy to travel to the city centre by taxi.

The rooms are clean; ask for a room in the new area.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

we were pleasently surprised when we arrived, the hotel is quite luxurious and the staff helpful and very smartly dressed. We went to the very nice bar for a drink to decide where to go, 35dirham (£3.00) for a small glass of beer, and 190 dirham for a house botttle of winne. There is a shuttle bus into town every hour until noon but the last shuttle back is 6pm. so you are then reliant on taxis, we never paid the same price twice. The front desk said it was £5.00 into town but the least we had to pay was £10.00. No complaints about the hotel, but it is exspensive to eat d drink there, and you are out on a limb being quite a long way from the town and sites. If I came again I would choose a hotel nearer or in town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Cambs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

It cost us £150 dhs from Menara aiport (3 people with luggage) to La Palmeraie, which is where Le Tikida Gardens is located.

La Palmaraie appears to be quite a poverty stricken area close to the hotel and personally we decided not to go and walk around outside of the hotel.
Once inside the grounds, its a completely different story. The drive infrot of the hotel is surrounded my palms, greenery and the most beautiful flowers. An attendent greeted us at the steps down to the lobby and took our bags for us, which he said would be delivered to our room after we had checked in (don't forget some small notes for tipping as they do expect it and can be quite rude if they don't).

The lobby area is lovely, typically Moroccan. You can access the dining area, bar and a shop from the lobby, which sells souvenirs (competitive prices to the souks).
We were taken to our room, which is basic, but functional. The bedding and towels were clean, although my friend did discover and dead cockroach in the bathroom on entering, which the attendent removed.

The swimming pool is very big, which was nice and the main reason we decided to not stay in the medina, as most of the hotels / riads only have plunge pools. The only problem with the pool was that it was absolutely freezing. Granted though, we were there in November, though it was 25 degrees everyday.
The outdoor restaurant was good, a good selection of food including tagine, pizza, salad and club sandwich. The restaurant staff appear to be quite un-friendly but to be honest, I think that is just the Moroccan way.

Breakfast every morning had a great selection of continental options, including omlettes cooked while you wait, coissants, pain au chocolate, fruit, yogurt, bread, meats and cheese. Again, the service is patchy, though we had a gentlemen that looked after us every morning and always brought us english tea with milk, without us even asking (he was the one member of staff that we left a very good tip for).
Due to a very early flight home, we ate in the hotel on our last night and again a good selection was provided, though in comparison to the medina, its quite expensive at around £20 per head for three courses. In the medina and surround, it generally cost us approx £40 for three people for 3 courses and drinks. We didn't brave La Place due to one person being vegetarian and the other a fussy eater, although the food did smell amazing.

Whilst we were in Marrakech, we visited the Souks in the medina, which are a definate experience. Prepare to be grabbed a little as a female, I found that looking them straight in the eye and pulling away seem to get rid of them, with the words La Shukran (No thankyou). Barter as much as you like, go in at at least half the price it states or they quote, or just move on as two stals away there will be another one identical.
Avoid looking at the henna / braiding ladies unless you want it done as they can be very grabby and rude.
If you get lost in the souks which is inevitable, just ask the stall owners how to get back to 'La Place'.
A nice bar, which you can also eat in is 'La Alhambre', which is one of the buildings that surrounds La Place. You can sit and look out at all the goings on in peace.

Another place we visited was the famous Les Salles de Bain Spa, which was fantastic. Just inside the medina walls, its a world away. Apparently quite a westernised spa and less harsh than the moroccan public baths. We had the 'Traditional One' which was the hammam and a one hour massage. This was quite an experience also. As a female, prepare to go in to the hammam with only your bikini bottoms on, the ladies are rather liberal, which is fine and we all had a giggle. With the message, be prepared that you may have a male, which they do check if thats ok with you and again as a female, you do lay on the table for the second half of the massage with your upper half exposed, which also gets massaged at the end. I'm sure you could cover up and say no, but I was a little overwelmed so didn't and just hoped that my friends were having the same thing done and I wasn't going to end up on Youtube!! Definately try the mint tea they give you in the day rooms as it's much nicer than I expected and I don't even like mint.

One funny thing we did see whilst near the medina was a big red tour bus, like you get in Paris and New York. It seemed very out of place but was always packed with people. Though I mocked on first seing the bus, I actually now wish we had used it as many of the sights are far apart and unless you practise the religion, you are not allowed to enter and can only view from outside, so the bus would have been a good option.

Marrakech is not for the faint hearted. I had wanted to go there for years and am glad that I have now been as I enjoyed the experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. The grounds are beautiful and a real oasis away from the buzz of the city, yet it is only ten minutes in a taxi. Taxis are parked at the entrance so there is no problem popping into town. The location where the hotel is situated is actually pretty intersting as it where people actually live and wandering around you see their workshops and local everyday souks. The hotel offers and extensive package of excursions from trips around the souks to all day trips into the Atlas mountains. The food is very good with something for everyone. My ten year old daughter loved the food and the pool. You can play tennis, etc and the animation team are happy to encourage anyone who wants to do a spot of belly dancing or learn to make mint tea. All the staff couldn't be more friendly and professional. The rooms are good, and I am sure I will return again in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I have just returned from Tikida Gardens after spending a week at the hotel. Having read the last few reports before setting off it is fair to say left with a degree of trepidation of what I would find.

Arriving at the hotel, which is located in a rather scruffy area of Marrekesh, we were greeted by an oasis of greenery that formed the hotels gardens which are meticulously kept by an army of gardeners, forever sweeping the fallen leaves and pruning the bushes and trees that grow in the constantly hot climate.

Our room was plenty large enough, extremely clean and had a smallish balcony. The maid service was daily and up to a very high standard, plenty of clean towels etc which was up to UK standards and beyond.

The food which seems to have been a problem for a few was not prevalent and there was no mention of tummy problems. We ate as we wanted too and indeed ate foods that we thought we would not touch having read previous reports. Fresh salads and fruit were offered in abundance and were extremely fresh and beautifully presented. The main meals were, a tad samey it has to be said but there was always something new to try and the puddings offered daily were an absolute pleasure and obviously made by an extremely good pastry chief who should be congratulated, as this was always the highlight of the meal. Lunch was varied and eaten by the poolside under cover from the midday heat of the day.

As said before by others it does help to speak some French as most of the guests are French and this is spoken by the staff and locals but, as always some English can always be found.

We found the best days were had by visiting the Souks in the mornings and then the afternoons, when the sun can be very hot, sitting around a large, well kept pool reading a book which is a great way to spend a day.

Taxi’s are 20-30 Dirhams to the Souk and 40-50 to return, it is more expensive from town as they generally have no fair to pick up getting back into the centre.

All inclusive? brilliant as we only spent about £35 on taxi’s, tips, coffee’s outside of the hotel etc during the whole week apart from buying gifts etc to bring back. Never had to buy any water as the hotel offer this free at all meals so take your half empty bottles away with you or just ask for more.

Being slightly out of town? Again great as it is nice to get away from the hustle of the City centre.

Would I go again ? without hesitation, a super hotel in a fascinating place.

Drawback? Not sure there would be too much to do if you happen to be there when it rained, although it doesn’t do that much.

Have fun !!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Tikida Garden Hotel for one week arriving friday Aug 28th. First impressions of the area where very depressing, but the hotel came across as being very nice and the swimming pool was excellent.
On Sat we went to the main square. My bags were stolen by the women who do henna painting on your hands. And the men with monkeys forced 300 Dirhams off us for taking one photo. They spat in my face as i tried to explain and threatened my husband.
We had not eaten out as we were all inc, the food at the hotel was lovely but deadly. For Breakfast it was crossaunt and cereal. Or Eggs..Omellette or fried. On the first day we had an Omelette. It was cooked with a cup of oil, and the fried eggs were cooked in marg. On the second morning I asked the girl if she could do my omlette in the marge, as that's how we do it in England. She looked very angry at me and upturned the pan of hot oil. All main meals are self service.
By monday my husband had very bad Diarrhoea. I became ill the following day.
Wed evening as we finished writing postcards home, my husband got up and headed to the toilet, But as he aproached the hallway he passed out, he fell forward smashing his head on the edge of the wall. He landed hard on the tiled floof and started fitting and chanting. I ran to get the Manager, and he called the doctor. I had run out screaming as I thought my husband was dead. his eyes had rolled back in his head and he just lay there in his own mess, his head split open. He came round as i returned and other english couples had come out of their rooms. One man said that as soon as he heard the chanting, he knew what was going on. He said you hear it up and down his corridoor. People passing out everywhere. Other couples told of their experiences..some horrific. This had been going on for weeks maybe months.
When the doctor arrived he would not look at my husband, I then realised he wanted the money first. I handed over 800 Dirhams. He opened his bag which had blood stained clothes and filthy instruments. He wiped my husbands head with a dirty rag, gave him an anistetic and proceeded imidiatley to stitch up his head. He felt the first four stitches and was in a lot of pain. No xrays no follow up. We then had to hand over another 600 Dirhams for a prescription for antibiotics. I was told that if i gave the manager 300 Dirhams he would get a petit taxi parked at the hotel front, to get our prescription, we did this.
I also medicated myself by using the meny boxes of tablets given by the doctor to my husband.
My tip.... if you really want to go to Morocco then learn french. They seem to have a lot more time and understanding of the french. But I am Convinced they Hate the English.
24 English people affected by food poisioning that I know of at the hotel But....1 French lady. two thirds of the hotels occupants were french.
On the day we left more english people arrived. A lady with her elderly father, and a couple with 2 very young children. Please God they are ok.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!