“Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #208 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Thursday 12th to 19th September. I have just seen a review from someone staying there on the 19th, talking about the storm that occurred on the 16th. We were there and witnessed the storm. The hotel staff acted immediately and were very good. One of the chefs took us to our rooms under the shelter of a beach umbrella. The water came into the main reception arrears and flooded the Zanzibar and the down stairs disco (which is in a basement room below the main building). We and our friends had rooms on the ground floor of the west wing of the building and no water came into our rooms it didn't even come over the outside terrace. We didn't hear anyone complain about their rooms flooding. The day after the storm it was like nothing had happened except for the smell of damp carpet in the bar. The hotel is set in lovely gardens and the public reception rooms are lovely. I must admit some of the bedrooms are looking a little dated but we didn't spend much time in them anyway. The beds are clean and so were the bathroom and toilet. We and our friends had a great time staying here, the staff are very friendly and the manager is always on hand. The food is typical hotel food, good, with plenty of choice. I can not fault this place, and look forward to going again. We booked a couple of trips with our rep, the Atlas Mountains and a Taste of Riad, both very good. The later was quite pricey £65 per head but we will still be talking about it for years to come.

Room Tip: If you can book an upstairs room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've just got back from a two week stay at this hotel and what can I say ? Well I spent a day an a half in bed just for starters! We arrived on the thurs 19 th sept but the mon previous ( 16 th ) they had the most terrible storm which unfortunately led to the hotel flooded, all ground floor rooms were flooded but with raw sewerage as the main , ingredient shall I say; by the morning it was as if nothing had happened, but what did they do with it all I would like to know, to begin with when bathroom panels were opened in the ground rooms, tucked right at the back ( excuse the pun!) were the remains of some of this sewage, the place never smelt right in the two weeks we were there, and one by one people were coming down with tummy bugs and vomiting! So if I were you I would check and double check before going; also, don't book any of the trips with the hotel reps, we were booked on a two day Sahara adventure with a promise of a stay in the Sahara desert only to find we were actually 30 odd miles away from the real Sahara, at paying 150.00 pound per person this was completely unacceptable , so double check those as well, the guide tho hassein , was bloody fantastic , he took us on the fantasia trip as well as the two day one and well I recommend you ask for him he's funny entertaining and nothing is too much trouble for him !
As for the staff at this hotel well they work hard all day and night they always smile and again nothing too much trouble for them it's just such a shame that when they are leaving work they are all searched , frisked, whatever you wanna call it !! Now I understand in some cases but my god what are they going to steal, ? Bread!!!!
Anyway before going to this hotel my advice is to do your research again and again and again , in some cases it's an ok hotel but in lots there are shed loads of improvements that could be made, stop the sparrabs ( sparrows that do ninja on the flies!!!) that's what I called them in the end , stop the animals sharing the restaurant with us, the food could do with improving , and the cleanliness of the rooms could do with an improvement!!
This hotel considering it's supposed to be part of the group riu, shocking!!
Book the other one , hotel palmerierie, much cleaner and bigger much bigger pool

• Stayed September 2013
Norfolk, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Tikida Garden is a really lovely looking hotel, great finishing touches and the rooms are really spacious. Majority of staff are great and so helpful. Plus there are plenty of food choices and lots of it. But.. If you are looking for a really quiet break then this might not be for you! The pool area is great but really busy and packed in, and most sunbeds in the best locations had towels on them from around 8am! The really annoying thing for us was the constant 'disco' music around the pool all day at varying volumes. Even when it was a relatively low volume you knew it wasn't long before it was cranked up again. There is an entertainment team, who, as previous reviews have said, will leave you alone if you say no, but they seemed to think everyone wanted loud music and there are numerous announcements through a booming microphone for the entertainment programme. I guess they are just doing their job, but it didn't make for much relaxation.

The real killer for this holiday though was the severe bout of food poisoning that went through a lot of the guests, my other half included. Several people spoke directly to the manager about it but he was less than helpful. No one was sure if it was related to the flood and raw sewage that other reviewers have mentioned. Think others have also said about the cleaners waking them really early, but if you're an early riser you won't care about this. And the beds are REALLY hard!

The centre is a short taxi ride away or there is a free shuttle bus until 6 pm so not too bad a location, you are quite insulated at the hotel. As others have said, be careful if you want your picture taken with the snakes and monkeys, they do expect to be paid! But there really is so much to see, so however nice you find the hotel, you really do need to look around the centre there's loads to take in.

The hotel grounds are fabulous too, they have made a lot of effort in making the surroundings lovely. But if music and noise isn't your thing then maybe look elsewhere, if you don't care about this then definitely visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Palmeraie block on the upper floor which was away from main noise, try and get an u...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

After reading several reviews myself before booking the Riu Tikida Garden, I thought I’d say my 2 pence so that others can make their own mind up. I went entirely with an open mind as I don’t always trust Trip Advisor. All in all, we had a fantastic holiday – but we wouldn’t return for reasons I’ll explain.

The flights were pretty smooth, immigration was a very long winded process and we were stood queuing for what seemed like hours. Tip – make sure you always have a pen handy on the way to and from the hotel, lots of forms to fill out! The rep was an absolute waste of time. Helped in no way except show his preferred acting career. In the end we didn’t take any trips but chose to explore on our own.

The location is a bit hit and miss. It’s out of the way of the main sights of Marrakech but it can be a blessing when you venture into the old town. We visited the souks at night and it topped around 30 degrees on our way home, it was just too hot to want to explore in the day but I do wish we had. Our main reason to go was to relax for a week, and we certainly did! As other reviews have said, make sure when bartering to start at at least a quarter of what they ask for. Walk away if it sounds like you’re being ripped off, they usually lower their price. One regret is not visiting the Atlas Mountains, a lot of people said it was a great tour so make sure to look into that!

We used the free shuttle bus once to go into the new town. This was quite different to the old town with shops such as Zara, La Senza, sports shops and lots of modern cafes and restaurants. We ate at a lovely place near “Queens” but I can’t remember the name – it had an outside eating area and was very quiet when we visited between 12 and 3. I did catch on quite quickly that one of the “designer” shops in particular was in fact fake so be wary when purchasing items at higher prices. You didn’t get as hassled in this area which was nice but still be cautious with bags.

Just outside the hotel if you turn left there is Mohammed’s Choop. It was interesting to say the least but not sure I felt entirely safe there. They shut the door behind them as soon as you went in which was a bit intimidating. It was full of quite a lot of tat and prices could be haggled a lot cheaper in the souks if you do fancy anything there. I did get some bottles of Coke for the room though which were very cheap at 10 Dirham each (around 75p). There were quite a few “genuine fakes” around which were probably ok for the duration of the holiday but unsure the quality will last. My Boyfriend got some Beats by Dre headphones though which he was very impressed with.

The main negative point of this 4 star hotel – the food. It was terrible. Some days were better than others and nothing was consistent. Breakfast was very varied and suited everyone, definitely the best meal of the day. Pancakes to die for. Lunch bland and samey. There was always pizza and chips to fall back on at dinner, but that’s not why I went to Marrakech. I enjoyed my birthday while I was in there and kindly received a note under our door to say our table would await. We asked to change to the Moroccan restaurant for a change though and I’m so glad we did. After an embarrassing Happy Birthday, we got champagne on ice and a lovely quiet table. The Moroccan restaurant was lovely though and you can book as many times as you want, the Chicken Pastilla was definitely my favourite.

Drinks weren’t quite up to standard. Usual all inclusive but there was barely any alcohol in any of the drinks and I tried most of them! If you ask them to top it up, depending on which staff member you get usually they will do. Not much option of soft drinks either unless you like very sugary cocktails or fruit juice.

The entertainment was also a bit hit and miss. The Africa and the Best Of shows were probably the best of the lot, most of the time we watched the show and headed to the Zanzibar afterwards. This is the smoking bar, sometimes as a non-smoker it hit you when you went in but I soon got used to it. The entertainment staff make sure to get everybody up at some point and do a great job. The pool bar is a lot quieter and is a nice relaxing place to have a few drinks in the evening.

We met some lovely people and had a nice time but I do think Riu need to up their game with this hotel. I believe we went the week after they had a huge flood and I must say they cleaned up remarkably. There was only a bit of dampness on the exterior of the hotel. The Manager, Pablo was around most of the day and greeted people for dinner which was a nice touch. Our cleaner was brilliant in our room and we gave her a tip on the last day for her hard work and the grounds people also did a fantastic job of sweeping the gardens all day long. It wasn’t the worst hotel by far but we like to travel to various different locations so probably won’t return to this one.

Room Tip: We had room 402, in the Menzia(?) renovated block which was overlooking the gardens. Very loud in th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

On the whole, the hotel was lovely. Rooms are clean and spacious, the food is good although repetitive, the staff friendly and the pool area is lovely. The entertainment team try really hard to please, and during the day we had a great time playing French bowls and water polo. However, the evening entertainment is poor, little more than a primary school stage with really cheesy shows. That was the only let down for the hotel. Marrakech is certainly worth a visit, an experience around every corner! I had my birthday whilst on holiday, and the staff really made an effort, surprising me with a champagne dinner, rose petals and candles! The rep was a bit useless and only seemed interested if you wanted to book expensive excursions. Overall a lovely relaxing holiday. Only other moan is that the cleaners start early and woke us each morning around 7.30am moving furniture etc in rooms above ours. The spa was an experience, but staff in there lovely.

Room Tip: We were in room 260 which over looked the pool. Room nice, but noisy in a morning with cleaners and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What looks like a week after the flood the hotel is hit by projectile vomiting and the diarrhoea, it appears that the sewers flooded into the lower rooms and left behind raw sewerage some found when bath panels were removed. The lower bar also took a lot of the sewers as it is below the ground. As everybody knows once the bug breeds it spreads like wild fire so take caution when coming here maybe take hand antibacterial hand wash.

• Stayed October 2013
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Couldn't fault this hotel, the food was acceptable not English standards as some guests expected but there was always enough and there was always something to eat. The staff were without doubt the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met even after the 'storm' (and some of the staff worked through the night to get the place ready for breakfast the next morning). The 'storm' was the talking point for days, water cascading down the stairs like a waterfall and into the downstairs lobby of the entertainment bar the foyer was about three inches deep and outside was deeper but everybody kept their cool and returned to their rooms (some returned to the Zanzibar and had a party). The fruit, the meringues and the soup were scrumpsious, only thing missing for me was brown sauce at breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!