“Willington Quay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #180 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Willington Quay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Read "exxpertskier" 's review; it sums up his views succinctly and I concur fully. Good value; ok food but go to other restaurants as well- just because it's free you don't have to eat there every night.
Lovely, helpful staff.
Towels on sunbeds to reserve them "rule" flouted; wear shirts in pool-bar please; scruffy attire in restaurant; smoking........- deal with it, please.
The rep, Sam, needs to find out more about the area and national customs; we were not told about the "lockdown" at the airport as the entire staff were breaking their fast during Ramadan!
You will be told it's 100 dirham to town by taxi; this is nonsense- haggle at the gates of the hotel and they will lower their prices.
Go to a riad (La Sultana is terrific but expensive) and wander the souks and square.
Lastly, forget the Green Cross Code- make a break for it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

It was a nice hotel with great spa and pool. Location was quite good too, not far from anything. The food was ok, not amazing. Would i go back again, probably... although there looks like there are other amazing places one could pick above this one but it was a nice quiet, clean hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week in May to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. He had emailed the hotel a couple of weeks before our stay to ask if it would be possible to upgrade the room and had received a reply confirming that this wouldn't be a problem. At first on checking-in we didn't appear to have been upgraded however my husband showed the member of staff the email and we were then told that we had been upgraded to room 120, which was a suite, at no extra cost.

Upon arriving at our room, the previous occupants were just leaving and advised us that it hadn't been cleaned yet as they had paid for a late check-out. The porter was very apologetic and said that he would ensure the room was made up straightaway. We had a quick look around the room and were extremely happy with it, it was massive! We then decided to have a wander around the hotel and get a drink whilst the room was being cleaned. Just as we were about to leave three maids appeared, all apologising profusely, to clean the room. Our first impressions of the hotel were extremely good and this did not change for the rest of our stay.

All of the staff were extremely hard-working, welcoming & friendly. The manager was always around, which was nice to see. On our first evening before dinner we received a call from the manager to check that everything was to our satisfaction and on requesting a bottle of water from reception later that evening we again received apologies for the room not being ready on our arrival. The whole hotel including the gardens were spotless and constantly being tended to. We did feel sorry for the gardeners working endlessly in the heat!

The hotel shop, as stated in other reviews, was quite pricey but then that is always the cae in case in hotels so we weren't at all surprised at this. Being able to get a large bottle of water from reception whenever you needed it was a really nice touch, especially as I always drink lots of water during the night.

People have complained that the bars closed at midnight - to be honest for us this was late enough! As for the smoking, yes it can get a bit annoying in the Zanzibar but as you are in their country you have to put up with their customs. There were plenty of other areas you could go to that were non-smoking..

The shuttle bus was a bit of a pain as per other reviews. It is not big enough to take everybody and people tend to just push in. However a taxi into town is not expensive, we shared a taxi with another couple and bartered with a taxi driver just outside the hotel. We got him down to 70 Dirhams. He dropped us where the shuttle bus does and it is quite a walk from there into the souks however it is an experience! The traffic is manic but we soon learnt to cross when a local crosses. I wouldn't bother with the new town, the shops are the same we have here but more expensive and I don't go on holiday to have the shops we have at home.

Jeema El Fna is a must early evening, it is such an experience. However don't wander away from the square as we did - we got totally lost and ended up paying someone to show us the way out which was a bit scary.

We couldn't fault the food in the hotel at all, it was plentiful and well-cooked. The roast meat was superb and we found that we could easily have something different to eat every evening. We really liked the Morroccan restaurant, it had a lovely atmosphere with traditional music playing (quite often the waiters join in!) and a much more intimate feel to it (plus you get served your main meal). The tagines really are wonderful.

As stated in other reviews the alcoholic drinks are weak measures but as it's all inclusive it's not really a problem - just order doubles! We tried the cocktails, the mojito wasn't bad but they were all a bit too sweet for my taste.

There is plenty of daytime entertainment on offer if that's your thing. We did look at the yoga class but never got round to doing it, we had such a lazy week relaxing in the pleasant surrounding and wonderful weather. The evening entertainment was okay, they do try hard and we watched a couple of shows during our stay.

All in all we felt that this hotel was excellent value for money and we would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend the hotel to anyone else.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very large and extremely quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here from 8th-18th July. It takes just 25 mins max from the airport, just enough time to fill in the required forms which will speed up your check-in.
(Tip: keep hold of your suitcase when finding your transfer coach, people will try to 'help' for a tip)

We arrived late, and the hotel had kept some food out in the restaurant which was a nice surprise. This led onto a quick check-in and we were in our room.

Block B "La Katoubia" - central to the reception area and the pool. Super clean rooms, maid service every day, towels & bedding changed twice each week. Air conditioning worked in our room, and we had a second electronic key so we could leave it on all day.

The pool is so refreshing after the 35 degrees+ heat. Plenty of sunbeds, although if you want pool-side you need to be up at the crack of dawn. I wasn't bothered, so had a lie-in and still got two with a parasol at about 830-9am.

Lunch time food was repetitive, but always fresh salads, fruit, bread, various cooked meats & tagines (and pizza and chips of course)...

Dinner time was supposed to be a long trouser affair, but this didn't appear to be the case. Men in smart shorts seemed the norm. Again, the food was repetitive but there were some lovely options. I am really picky, but I always managed to have a full plate of food. Tagines, cooked meats, fish, salad... I just kept in mind that we'd paid about £50 per day including flights, hotel, food, drinks- it was fantastic value for money.

The shuttle bus into Marrakech took about 10 mins, with reduced service during Ramadan. Drop off in new town, about a 20 minute walk to Jemaa el Fna square (take a bottle of water) - look for KFC then follow that road right to the square!

We went into Marrakech in the evening in a taxi from outside reception. This cost 100 dh to the skybar, we then walked up to the square (about 25 mins) then got a petit taxi back from near the shuttle bus drop off point, and this was 70 dh back to the hotel.

Try to speak French if possible, they appreciate the effort rather than speaking always in English.

Bar staff all very friendly! Especially Simo :) Reception staff are excellent, with fantastic English skills. If you go with Thomson, the rep Sam isn't the best- the tours seemed expensive, and people were just going and exploring on their own...

Please feel free to ask any questions.

• Stayed July 2013
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed as a group of girls for a short weekend in May. Service at this hotel was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble. Pool is huge & gardens well maintained. All inclusive food was great with plenty of choice. The rooms were a little dated but exceptionally clean. The evening entertainment could be better but this did not bother us. The hotel has a shuttle bus to Marrakech but although we waited, others pushed on so maybe the hotel could provide tickets on a first come first serve? Rather than wait for him to return we got a taxi from the front of the hotel ( I believe around £8). A great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Fantastic Hotel and staff, really polite and helpful. The hotel is kept clean and the staff work very hard to please. The rooms are basic but very clean.
The food is gorgeous and plenty of it, always hot and fresh. The Manager is always present for any queries or questions and very polite!
The entertainment staff try very hard.
The drinks are very good with some named brands included in the all inc. Cocktails are refreshing and readily available.
Pool and the gardens are perfect, garden staff work very hard to keep it looking nice.
Marrakech medina/souks are amazing to visit, we went with the tour guide outside of the hotel, he charged about £25 for 3 hours. He was worth it as he got us cheap taxi's there and back (around £4.)
We visited the Moroccan restaurant twice (free), gorgeous food, lamb tagine etc, it was my birthday and they brought me a cake and a bottle of champagne and sang happy birthday to me!!
Met some lovely people while we were there, it's about 90% English.
Very cheap relaxing holiday for the price we paid (£1000) for a couple, and would definitely return. Missing it already :-(
Would not be suitable for kids though as the heat is very intense 50 degrees constant!
DO NOT listen to the usual wingers leaving poor reviews, there is absolutely nothing to complain about!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the gardens at the back in block B - was amazing and the sunset could be s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Riu Tikida from the 4th July - 15th July 2013. Before booking the holiday we originally wanted a 2 week break but eventually settled with 11 nights, which I was VERY glad of towards the end of our holiday believe me. We arrived late Thursday night and checked in very quickly, we were not given a welcome drink and were not shown to the restaurant for something to eat, we were not hungry though, so this didn't really bother us. We dumped our bags and went straight out to have a drink in the Zanzibar which was right by the reception area, for anyone who has already been to this hotel, you will be with me when I say this bar had the most dreadful atmosphere, EVERY night there was a man singing on a piano, he was absolutely terrible, being our first night we believed we had maybe missed the entertainment and this man was a one off, how wrong were we!!

FOOD - The next morning we woke and went down for breakfast, my boyfriend was quite worried as the welcome letter we had received on arrival had stated there were no shorts allowed in the restaurant, he had only bought one pair of pants he had traveled in, however when entering the restaurant nearly every man was wearing shorts, this was the same for our evening meal too, bit confused as to why they had put the rule in place if they were not going to enforce it but it was a blessing to my boyfriend ha. Breakfast was always nice, you had the choice of pancakes, bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, cereal & croissants. Was always fresh, and kept my boyfriend and I full for the majority of the day. Drinks were the usual fruit juices and fizzy pop. Breakfast was served until 10.30, if you missed this time, you could always get a continental breakfast from the snack bar next to the pool. Snack bar was open for dinner, and to be honest was vile, had this funny smell to it, and had the most awful food, was mainly pasta, chips or fish!!! I most days just had bread because I could not hack the food in there, many couples we met also mentioned the salad give them a dodgy stomach.

ALCOHOL - As a young couple it is pretty obvious we were after plenty of alcoholic drinks come night time, I tried and tested many of the cocktails to find they were literally like juice, they usually left me bloated with a sugar coating on my tounge. I went on to drink vodka and lemonade, I even had whiskey and coke, but every night I returned to the room still as sober as when I left. My boyfriend on the other hand, loved the beer that was served at the hotel, I am not a beer drinker but he said it was really nice and he had found out it was 5%, so as you can imagine he ended up cross eyed most nights.

ENTERTAINMENT - Absolutely dreadful, in all the hotels I have visited this has got to have been the worst for entertainment, and to be quite honest ruined our holiday, most nights I found it an effort to even get ready as I knew what we were in for. The hotel had the dreaded Zanzibar and then a Bar/Club opposite across the reception area, most nights after dinner they had the childrens disco on and even that was awful, I felt so sorry for the kids. I think one night they had an african night, which was the best thing we seen all holiday and even that wasn't great. Most nights we would just take some drinks and sit outside in the gardens.

ROOMS - Small, and stuffy. Air con was rubbish, my boyfriend struggled to sleep most of the holiday because of how stuffy it was in our room, opening the windows did no good as you can imagine. Beds were suppose to be a double but were two singles pushed together, this was really frustrating as most nights I would wake up wedged in between both.I know it sounds fussy but I hate when the toilet is separate from the bathroom, and this was the case in this hotel, many of times the toilet wouldn't flush either. Balconies were really small too and very close to the neighbours so sitting and having a conversation on there was not possible.

POOL AREA - Hotel stated there was a rule of not putting your towels down before 8am, I felt this was a good idea but again with all the rules in this hotel, was it followed? NO. Every morning I would peel back them curtains and find people had put their towels down at ridiculous hours, one morning 6am!! Because there was no beach and a lot of trees, it was essential to have a decent sun lounger otherwise you would be out of the sun all day, so from then on I had to set my alarm at 7, run down and put our towels in our usual spot then go back to bed, seems sneaky but I honestly couldn't care less, everyone else was doing the exact same. Pool was big and lovely to go in especially on the really hot days, it was unbearable at times and the pool really helped, was very very cold and took a little bit of a pep talk to get myself in it but was fine once you were in. Beware there are a stupid amount of wasps hovering around the sun loungers and drinks, many of times I would go to take a sip of my drink and find a wasp in there, this became very frustrating after a few days.

TRIPS - Went on two trips whilst we were here, first was a trip to the souks which we went on with a group of couples we had met, got the free shuttle in to the new town, then a taxi to the markets. Not much there to be honest, got a few funny looks as expected, wasn't as interesting as many made out but it was an experience to say the least. Had a Mcdonalds back in New Town and was pestered by all the Moroccan kids for chips, give them a few and they left us alone, but felt a bit mean eating infront of them. Next trip my boyfriend and I went on was with Thompson, and it was called 'A Taste Of Riad', please go on this trip if you go in a couple it was amazing!! Taxi took us to the market area where we were greeted by the restaurant manager, he walked us down a few streets to get to the restaurant, a little bit nerve wracking as we were literally in the slums of Morocco, eventually got to the most beautiful little restaurant, food was gorgeous and we were constantly topped up with wine and water. We had drinks on the roof top which was gorgeous and then had our dinner downstairs in the restaurant area. This has got to be the highlight of our holiday. Was really interesting to see what the locals were up to so late on a Saturday night too, when walking back to our taxi there were a group of children throwing fireworks at each other, crazy people.

All in all, this holiday was not as good as anticipated but we still had a great time, was a very relaxing holiday however it did feel we had been away from home for a lifetime because of how bored we got. I would not recommend taking children here due to the lack of entertainment and how hot the weather is. We met A LOT of lovely english people, all of whom we have kept in touch with, it has got to be the most friendliest of hotels I have been and I do miss waking up every morning to everyone by the pool.

MAKE SURE YOU GO AND SEE THE TORTOISES IN THE GARDENS, THEY ARE ADORABLE.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!