“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #177 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm not long back from a fantastic week-long stay at the Riu Tikida Garden. On arrival, we were given a glass of fruit juice whilst we waited to get checked in; a nice touch!

The rooms are fairly basic, but have everything that you need. They are, however, quite spacious and are absolutely spotless, which is really everything that you need.

The food was great. I'm a pretty fussy eater, but I had no problem at all with getting myself food. There was always a good selection of foods available to satisfy all tastes, and the food itself was delicious. Watch out for the desserts too - some of them are simply fantastic. I see the usual complaints are raised about the food being repetitive, and whilst there is some truth in this, I can't help but wonder what some people expect: the hotel has to cater for hundreds of people every day, and you simply can't expect to feed them all on bespoke meals which are different every evening. There are no questions over the quality of the food, though - it was excellent.

The staff are the most attentive and helpful I've ever encountered in a hotel, especially in the dining area. They were always on hand to top up your glass of water and remove your plates. We were certainly well looked after during our stay.

I think you could probably see everything in Marrakech in four days, though I would recommend a trip to the Majorelle Gardens, which were lovely and not what you expect to see in a city like Marrakech.

I'm not sure I have a particular desire to return to Marrakech, but I would certainly go back to this hotel. My stay was both comfortable and highly enjoyable, and I would recommend the hotel to anyone considering Marrakech for their next holiday.

Room Tip: Book a room facing the pool; you'll get a better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Marrakech and for anyone who's considering staying at this hotel I would say "do it"! I travelled alone with my Son and we both had such a fantastic time for many reasons. We've been lucky enough to visit some great places around the world but this holiday, for us, was up there with the best of them.

Upon arrival we received a warm welcome with a nice glass of fruit juice as we checked in. The General Manager met us all to welcome us to the hotel. From start to finish, the staff we attentive and helpful. The Manager does a fantastic job of ensuring everything is running efficiently. The room was comfortable and clean and the cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. The food was plentiful, tasty and there was always an excellent selection. The evening entertainment was hit and miss but on one evening there was a spectacular African Show with drummers, dancers and fire eating. I can honestly say it was the best hotel entertainment show I have ever seen!

We were lucky to meet some lovely people during our stay who also agreed that the hotel and resort were fantastic.

Marrakech itself was beyond words. Needless to say, I am already looking to come back. I'm just glad that the extra weight in my suitcases on the way back was overlooked.

My advice would be to take any negative comments read on here with a huge pinch of salt. Some people just enjoy moaning. I have never stayed in the same holiday hotel twice but I can't wait to come back here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'd give this about 3.5 star rating. However it definitely "does what it says on the tin". Clean, good buffet food, great staff and a very high profile general manager who seemed to be everywhere to ensure things ran smoothly. Brilliant value but getting sunbeds can be a battle and it could do with an alternative eating option --even if with a supplement. The gym and pool in the spa were only "free" between 3pm and 7pm which wasn't ideal-- however if we went back I'd be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: pool facing --which side depends on weather you prefer sun in the morning or evening
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from this hotel after 10 days (07/05/13) & can honestly say the staff & hotel were great. Situated just outside of the old town (you wouldn't want a hotel closer as it's crazy) with a short cab or free shuttle transfer made this hotel ideal for us. The rooms were clean & spacious & apparently the rooms numbered 51 onwards (as ours was) were the best they have. The food is buffet style & plentiful, the staff ,clean courtious & friendly & nothing was too much trouble. My only gripe was the lovely large swimming pool was Freeeeeezzzzing cold (i have warmer cold water from my tap than that had) which for me spoilt the lazy hot days.Apart from that i enjoyed my stay. Oh....mainly French & English holiday makers frequent this hotel with French being spoken mainly but broken English too.

Room Tip: All have air con & fans, try & get a level one room over looking the pool
Doncaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Many 4-star properties border on the 5-star, just missing out on some facilities. I would say Riu Tikida Gardens is a 4-star that borders on 3-star.

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing at all bad about it. The staff were friendly, the rooms were spacious, and I would consider staying there again.

However, at the same time, it's nothing special. The quality of the drinks was the basic level I expected for an all-inclusive (which is to say I'd feel short-changed if I paid real money at the bar for them). The food was fine but there was very limited fare on offer if you missed the peak time (we were playing golf at 10am most days and when we returned about 3pm there was only left-overs).

We ate at the in-house Moroccan restaurant one night (needs reservation). The building was nice but the food and the overall experience wasn't really that much different to eating in the main buffet restaurant. Again, it was fine, but perhaps we had higher expectations due to having waited a few days to get a table.

If this was officially rated as a 3-star property, I'd have rated it 'very good' on TA, but being a 4-star I think it needs to do better to justify a 'very good' review.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunbury on Thames
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Tikida Garden is set in lovely Gardens and on arriving the first thing you notice is that it is kept very clean. Our room was clean and nice but I did hear some people say that their room was very tired looking where as our room had been renovated we stayed in the 400 block and had a view over the garden. The maid service was very good and she kept the room very clean. The food was always plentiful and well cooked although seemed a little repetitive and lacked imagination. All the staff were pleasant and they were always smiling and joking with the guests and they always acknowledge you. This hotel is a nice bolt hole of peace and tranquillity away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh.
The swimming pool is kept immaculately clean and the hotel supply towels. The out side eating area is quite small so you sometimes have to wait for a table or you can eat lunch inside the pool restaurant. The pool area is a little small and sun beds by the pool are usually taken quite early, but there is enough sun beds scattered around.
The Animation team worked hard and the day time activities if you wanted them were very good, but the shows in the evening were quite amateurish and for my part boring.
The Hotel supply a minibus service to the French quarter and you can walk to the main Square or you can take a taxi for 100DHM.
It is well worth a visit to the main square and wait for the sun set when the square becomes a moving mass of people all eating and watching entertainers.
Beware do not take their photo of people unless you are prepared to pay them some money (negotiate the cost first not after you have taken the picture).
All in all my trip to Marrakech was a pleasant one and I would go again.

Room Tip: Our room was in The 400 Block which had a recent renovation and was very quiet and a nice view overl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Location

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden is a very convenient hotel from which to explore the Medina of Marrakech, whilst not staying in the old city itself. We walked to the North Gate in the Medina wall in about 10 minutes.

Staff

We found the staff were polite, friendly and ready to do what they could to make the stay of all guests as pleasant as possible. There is good and effective management. We were impressed that the operations manager was to be seen everywhere throughout the day, with eyes and ears for everything and time for everyone.

There are comments elsewhere that it is essential to speak French to be understood. We did not find this to be the case. I began by speaking to all the staff in French only to subsequently hear the same person having a discussion with another guest in perfect English.
Hotel buildings and grounds

That said, Hotel Riu Tikida Garden is what one might expect from an all-inclusive resort hotel at the 'reasonably-priced' end of the market . The buildings are not the newest, and this was something of an initial disappointment for a number of people. The facilities are not the latest. Bathroom fittings are showing their age. However, the hotel is clean, free of vermin and the bedrooms are reasonably spacious.

There are well kept gardens, tennis courts, etc. We found the gym facilities difficult to use, as the gym is open only between 3 and 7 pm. This is the height to the day's heat, and the gym is not air conditioned. Many people might prefer to work out before breakfast, or in the cooler hours of the morning. Perhaps this is an effective way of avoiding any complaints that there is not enough equipment if the gym were more heavily used?

Temperatures were quite high for the time of year(early to mid-April) averaging around 38C during daylight. Initially, the evenings and mornings were quite cool, but by mid-April the temperature did not fall below 25 at night. For exercise, many people chose to run a circular course around the gardens before breakfast; or else, to walk around later in the heat of the day.

Relaxation

The pool is not huge and the sun beds are rather crammed around the area. We noticed a huge difference between the first and second weeks of the vacation. Prior to 15 April, there was frantic competition to lay towels on pool-side sun beds first thing in the morning. Regrettably, these beds were empty until lunch time. Possibly the Easter school break in England was a factor. There was a much more relaxed attitude to 'towelling' thereafter.

Food and beverage

Food is available almost all day long, and whilst it is not brilliant, what does one expect from an all-inclusive deal? We would say that much of the meat, poultry and fish is generally overcooked for our tastes. However, this was also the case when we ate at restaurants in the city. From time to time there was bacon available for breakfast, contrary to comments made elsewhere in relation to this hotel on Trip Adviser.

The main buffet restaurant, L'Orangerie, is used for breakfast and dinner. Lunch is served at the poolside restaurant. There is a Moroccan restaurant with limited availability, which has to be booked with the manager of L'Orangerie restaurant. This outlet stands alone and offers a buffet with a different mix of food. The lamb's brains were particularly good.

Fruit juices appear to be made from powdered concentrate. Better eat an orange! Coffee is from machines and is as one might expect. Better coffee is available from the Zanzibar outlet. Local wine and beer are available, along with spirits, at the bars. Service is good and speedy.

Conclusion

Given that the UK was in the grip of a cold and seemingly interminable Winter, we would have spent as much to stay at home. We did not eat so well, but we had the sunshine, so no need to heat the house at home, pay for energy to cook, clean and wash!

We felt that we had fair value for money for an all-inclusive package holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms commencing 2 are closest to the adjoining urban area, so the full force of the call to prayer...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!