“Excellent value for money, such friendly and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #180 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
maidstone
“Excellent value for money, such friendly and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have just arrived back from 10 days in the Tikida Garden - my wife, 11 year old daughter and I had a wonderful time.
Seeing previous comments - on booking we asked for a third bed in the room and on arrival it was in the room. No camp bed for us! Beds were very comfortable.
Staff are brilliant from cleaners / waiting staff right up to the Head Chef and manager : ) .... for example, my daughter wanted a simple omlette one evening and asked the head chef who found it no trouble to make her a cheesy omlette. On other nights, he would even come over and ask her if everything was ok and if she had found something she wanted to eat, and if not, he would be happy to do something for her.
My wife's leather sandel broke - just needed a simple repair but question was where would I take it. On my way to reception, I came across the manager (he was always walking around, very visible and making sure everything was just right). Anyway, I asked him and he promptly called a member of staff over and said he could get it sorted - I bumped into him at lunch and the manager said the shoe was at reception, all mended (excellent repair job) and when asking 'how much' the manager said, dont worry.
The animation team became more like good friends rather than hotel staff - nothing was too much trouble, even if we wanted to do something different to the published entertainment programme (beach volleyball rather than petanque). We even played the hotel football team which was great as following the game, everytime you went into dinner, you knew half of the waiters - again great people and great service.
We also meet up with a great bunch of people, not just Brits but from Belgium and France - all helped to make for such a wonderful holiday.
The hotel grounds are immaculate, and being spring, flowers in bloom - my daughter was captivated by the family of tortoises especially the babies.
Trips into Marrakech both by day (souks & medina) and at night (horse & carriage ride), and trip into the Atlas mountains and valleys were good value for money. Be ready to bargain hard in the medina but great experience - I found the Moroccan's not to be pushy unless you started to engage them in the bargaining - we wandered into shops and were not hassled or maybe it was a lot less than expected! Got some bargains :)
We would definitely go back to the Rui Tikida Garden.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Polish first
Brighouse, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights (with my wife and 8yr old daughter) all inclusive at New Year (booked through Thomson, arrived new years eve) and would definitely recommend it for a stay in the madness that is Marrakech.

Driving from the airport you begin to wonder what on earth the hotel is going to be like because Marrakech is just such a mental place. It appears on the surface a very poor city but once you arrive through the security gate (with 24 hour guards) it's a little oasis. It is odd at first as the smell of cigarette smoke hits you instantly in reception but you soon begin to not notice it. The reception staff were excellent, they showed us to our room (which was a ground floor one by the pool). It was a little dark and dingy and also right next to the stairwell and lifts so we asked if they had anything else available. They showed us a couple of other rooms but they weren't really floating our boat so we enquired about a suite. They showed us one which was perfect, well worth the additional 200 Dirhams (only approx £15.00, yep, £15) per night. Would recommend booking a suite for the space, comfort and location of them.

The quality of the food all day every day was excellent, the head chef is constantly walking round checking the quality and talking to the guests. The selection was also excellent, something for everybody. The first night we were there we enquired about what there was for children and they asked us what we'd like. Told them she liked chicken breast, goujons that sort of thing, they said they'd buy some the following morning and were true to their word. There is also a separate restuarant near the pool where you can sit down and have proper waiter service for a change (still in the all inclusive package). The alcoholic drinks are also very good with an excellent selection of cocktails too.

The Thomson tours/excursions are a bit iffy though. The medina one is particularly rubbish. We got totally lost on our first day in them so booked the "navigation/familiarisation" tour. We were rushed through about 5 streets before being plonked into the local herbalist shop for over an hour whilst they tried to sell us a load of old pap. Then onto another shop which was supposedly "everything you can buy in the medina in one place", again quite blatantly all on back handers with each other. Complete and utter waste of time and money and absolutely no use for helping us find our way around the medinas. The gardens trip is also poor, the Menara garden is boring with nothing to see apart from a load of olive trees, stray dogs and a brown lake. The Majorelle gardens (designed by Yves Saint-Laurent) on the other hand are amazing and beautiful but you can quite easily get there on your own.

They had kids games and entertainment on an evening which was of a fair standard. But a trip into the main square at night is well worth it. The local area directly outside the hotel does appear a little poor and intimidating at first but most people are genuinely friendly and just say hello. Much like anywhere you visit, if you have your wits about you then you shouldn't have any problems. A taxi into the main square/medina is about 7-10 Dirhams.

To sum it up I'd say everybody has to visit Marrakech at least once just to experience it and the Tikida Garden is the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Book a suite, they're in the main hotel rather than the annexe buildings.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at Tikida Garden which was really peaceful oasis. The hotel lives up to its name as the grounds are covered with beautiful cacti, plants and flowering trees plus resident tortoises. I went with my parents and 9 year old son who rates the hotel as "wow".

What stood out for me was the rigorous management of the place led by a dashing Spaniard called Pedro. He made time to speak to the guests and to respond to our needs. All staff were friendly, organised and never stopped cleaning the grounds, kitchen and communal areas.

I found our room adequate to our requirements with a lovely balcony overlooking the gardens. It was extremely clean and everything except the ac worked well. In a heatwave I don't think the cooling fan would be sufficient.

The pool was freezing but in the hot weather, quite bearable whilst you are in there. On cooler days, the heated indoor pool was available but I thought £12 for half a day was a bit too much.

The all-inclusive allowed us to have food throughout the day and unlimited drinks. The choice was good but the same everyday. We did complain about the food not being hot enough but there was a microwave for guests. The Moroccan restaurant offered a different experience and the lamb tagine was nice. The zanzibar was a nice place to rest before bed however smoking is allowed.

My only gripe was the entertainment. You couldn't fault the exuberance of the animation team however after a brilliant 'African show'on the first night by Senegalese musicians, the nightly entertainment went downhill. At times, it was quite embarrassing. I would have expected more outside performers for a 4 star hotel. The animation team also provided activities for the children and adults during the day however most children seemed to make their own fun with friends and tortoises.

Overall, it was a lovely hotel to spend our first time in Morocco.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The riu tikida gardens is an average hotel. The rooms are in need of modernisation it would be nice to have decent beds. We took our daughter who is 13 and paid the same price as we did for us, little did we expect a put me up camp bed in the room with blankets. This proved very uncomfortable for her. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is very clean and presentable. The gardens are exceptional. Word of caution if you want sun beds get up early and find some as most are gone by 9am. I do not feel the standard of the rooms warrant a four star rating though. Having stayed with riu before on several occasions I was a little disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Marrakech is a really chaotic, crazy and crumbling destination to holiday in. Everyone thought we should have stayed in a Riad in the centre but as we had two grown up children (both over 18) we opted for the all-inclusive option. The idea was that they would sit by the pool for a few days while we did the history and culture thing. However, exceptionally cool and wet weather for early April dampened our plans, and we spent each day visiting the souks.

I have to say that the Tikida Garden was a beautiful, tranquil setting and wonderful escape from the centre. All the public areas were magnificently managed - leave a cup or a plate for a moment and it is whisked away, as was any litter. Although smoking is permitted we were in a non-smoking block very close to the pool. We also hardly noticed any smoking in the restaurants.

Food was plentiful in the restaurant. Not always fantastic, but loads of choice. Service was brilliant. The small a la carte Moroccan restaurant on site was terrific - it only seated about 40 people and you needed to book. Very well worth it.

So why not 5 stars? Really it was the room that let things down; it wasn't 4 star quality. The air con didn't work and the safe needed fixing (always seems to happen to me); the fridge didn't seem to work and the alarm clock was broken. The room phone was dodgy too. To be honest, they did fix most things quite quickly, and they gave us a blank card key so we could keep the electricity on (and then the fridge worked). The bathroom wasn't brilliant and the shower went from cold to boiling hot.

The free shuttle bus to the centre was sometimes over subscribed and only took you to the new part of the city. So we usually took a taxi from the hotel gates, and picked another up from the centre to come back.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I travelled All Inclusive with Thomson March/April and really enjoyed the overall holiday. We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather all week. It was around 28*c most days with a light breeze so perfect for exploring the city. It was only overcast on one day of the week. I believe March/April is Morocco's high tourist season as it can often get too hot in the summer months - we were told it reached 50*c last year!

LOCATION
The hotel is situated outside of the city centre which means you'll need to use either the free courtesy bus or a taxi to take you there. There is a taxi rank at the entrance of the hotel - barter with them and you can get a good price. The price will depend on the time of day as they will charge around 20-40dh more in the evening but as a rule anything above 100dh is extortionate and 55dh is ideal. I found the distance from the city centre a blessing in disguise - 1. I don't think I would be able to find my hotel very easily if it wasn't and 2. After a long day it's much nicer coming back to somewhere quiet to relax rather than the hustle and bustle which happens early evening through to night (you also might get woken up by the call to prayers!)

THE ROOM
The room is pretty basic and I would have like to have seen more traditional moroccan architecture but it was clean, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot and fairly powerful. I had a room on the ground floor opposite the pool which was great for walking straight out and grabbing a sun lounger (yes it happens - 8am!). Absolutely no complaints.

THE STAFF
The staff were exceptional. The manager made a point of introducing himself on the first night and continuously asked if there were any problems he could sort out throughout the holiday. The maids, reception, waiting and animation staff also delivered this same quality.

THE SURROUNDINGS
The gardens and decor were stunning - all constantly kept in immaculate condition. There were numerous places to sit down (inside and out) throughout the hotel.

THE POOL
The pool is one of the best I've been in abroad. Clean and deep and long enough to do some 'proper' swimming. There is also a shallow end which is suitable for young children to use. It's unheated so can be cold when you first dive in but like most holiday pools it's fine after a couple of lengths and lovely when the weather gets a bit too much. There is also an indoor heated pool but this is only free to use until the end of March. Personally I didn't like this so much as it was a lot smaller (about 10/15m...I can't quite remember) and had underwater ledges which made it difficult if you wanted to swim up and down. There was also a gym that was free to use 3pm-7pm which was quiet and had some decent equipment in.

THE ENTERTAINMENT
The animation team were brilliant and worked very hard. There were loads of different activities on throughout the day - French Boules, Arabic Lessons, Ping Pong Tournaments etc. There was a different show every night and the team put on brilliant comedy performances (one thing you may notice is that the Moroccan's have a brilliant sense of humour). The African and Moroccan nights were brilliant also and well worth a watch.

THE FOOD
The food was the only thing that let the hotel down. Being a vegetarian I found it very difficult to find enough options for the week. Although I think you'll find this throughout the whole of Morocco - vegetarian means vegetables. There was a lot of choice but it was pretty much the same choice every night and not always hot (although you can ask the chef/waiter to heat some things up for you and they'll bring your plate back scorching). Not awful but not to the same standard of other RIU resorts I've been to and heard the same from other people. We went in the a la carte restaurant one night which you have to book in advance and it was lovely. Definitely the best veg and cous cous out of all the veg and cous cous' I'd had all week! You can also arrange to have champagne if it's for a special occasion.

THE BARS AND DRINK
The drinks are what you'd expect at an all inclusive resort - nothing to write home about but nothing wrong with them either. I'm not a wine drinker but I was told the house red was lovely and there was enough choice with cocktails, spirits and soft drinks. The biggest problem I had was that the Zanzibar and lobby area were both smoking which meant I was unable to spend any time there, however the lower bar, where they held the animation events was a non-smoking area so I was fine there.

WHAT TO WEAR?
Being a young female I was a little worried about what clothes I should be wearing around a traditional arab city but after the first day I didn't bother. Morocco is much more accepting of other religions and cultures than some of it's neighbours and I didn't get one disapproving look the whole time I was there. I mainly walked around in strappy dresses and comfy sandals which were great when you were on your feet all day. On one day I went hiking around the mountains and wore shorts which were also fine. I would advise bringing a few light jumpers/jackets for the evening as the temperature drops.

THE PEOPLE AND CULTURE
All of the locals I came across were friendly, helpful and funny. (They love shouting out 'ASDA PRICE', "FISH AND CHIPS' and 'LADY GAGA'... :S). They speak Arabic and fluent French so if you can make an effort with these languages it goes a long way however most people also speak basic English so you are able to communicate if you are struggling. I did get a few 'camel' offers but it was all very light-hearted so best just to laugh it off or if it does really bother you just tell them you're married.

SHOPPING
I'd definitely recommend saving some room in the case to bring back goods as there is so much to buy in terms of homeware, fashion and beauty. Morocco is known for it's leather, rugs and argan oil. I was recommended to purchase argan oil from a reputable dealer so I got mine from a pharmacy rather than the souks. You have to barter on nearly everything in Marrakech - it can be daunting at first but it's fine once you get used to it. The easiest way I found was the ask how much and then simply walk away. However, if items are marked, don't barter - this is a fixed price.

THINGS TO DO
I went on two organised trips whilst I was there - Discover Marrakech and Ourika Valley and decided to explore on my own the rest of the time. I couldn't recommend these two trips enough! Normally I hate excursions but these were both great value for money and the tour guides were faultless. You can arrange a deal with a taxi driver for them to take you to all the sites in a day which may work out cheaper but the excursions were worth it simply for the knowledge of the guides. I would definitely recommend researching all the trips before you come though as I received very little information from our holiday rep and there was no information book.

OVERALL
Overall I absolutely loved my visit to Marrakech - it is such a vibrant and interesting city with loads of things to do. The only thing that let the hotel down was the food although that is far out-shadowed by what made it great. It definitely stars as one of my top 5 cities I've been to and I would definitely consider returning, however probably not with Thomson. I felt like there was poor service all round from them - from the non-existent rep to the slow delivery of food on the plane...not to mention that bloody ridiculous evacuation video they need to get rid of!

If you'd like to see a little bit more of Marrakech I did make a video on my time there that you can view here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5IShiuA7M

HAPPY TRAVELS :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

we booked direct and got a brilliant deal, the staff were mostly amazing (a few grumpy people but if the rest hadn't been so amazing probably wouldn't have noticed the grumpy ones). Pool was freezing but nice to cool down in, gardens were lovely. lots of places to sit around, just enough sunbeds, Tennis courts, football, crazy golf, ping pong, arabic lessons, tagine making, dancing lessons, entertainment in the evenings. The food was good, although almost the same selection every night, this meant you could try something new every night too, or stick to your favourites. Spirit measures were mini and smoking was allowed in the Zanzibar which is annoying as you do end up smelling of smoke. Music in the the zanzibar was pretty terrible (i think they were trying to encourage people to the other bar for the entertainment). The room was fine. We had 229 which had a poor view of a poster and was quite cold but we did not complain or ask to be moved as we spent very little time in the room it didn't matter to us. Beds were on the hard side but not rock solid so we were very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The grounds are nice, staff very very good and a brilliant place for a week.

Room Tip: 400's have nice gardens
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!