“Terrific Tikida” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #172 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London
“Terrific Tikida”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at Tikida Garden which was really peaceful oasis. The hotel lives up to its name as the grounds are covered with beautiful cacti, plants and flowering trees plus resident tortoises. I went with my parents and 9 year old son who rates the hotel as "wow".

What stood out for me was the rigorous management of the place led by a dashing Spaniard called Pedro. He made time to speak to the guests and to respond to our needs. All staff were friendly, organised and never stopped cleaning the grounds, kitchen and communal areas.

I found our room adequate to our requirements with a lovely balcony overlooking the gardens. It was extremely clean and everything except the ac worked well. In a heatwave I don't think the cooling fan would be sufficient.

The pool was freezing but in the hot weather, quite bearable whilst you are in there. On cooler days, the heated indoor pool was available but I thought £12 for half a day was a bit too much.

The all-inclusive allowed us to have food throughout the day and unlimited drinks. The choice was good but the same everyday. We did complain about the food not being hot enough but there was a microwave for guests. The Moroccan restaurant offered a different experience and the lamb tagine was nice. The zanzibar was a nice place to rest before bed however smoking is allowed.

My only gripe was the entertainment. You couldn't fault the exuberance of the animation team however after a brilliant 'African show'on the first night by Senegalese musicians, the nightly entertainment went downhill. At times, it was quite embarrassing. I would have expected more outside performers for a 4 star hotel. The animation team also provided activities for the children and adults during the day however most children seemed to make their own fun with friends and tortoises.

Overall, it was a lovely hotel to spend our first time in Morocco.

1,457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

The riu tikida gardens is an average hotel. The rooms are in need of modernisation it would be nice to have decent beds. We took our daughter who is 13 and paid the same price as we did for us, little did we expect a put me up camp bed in the room with blankets. This proved very uncomfortable for her. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is very clean and presentable. The gardens are exceptional. Word of caution if you want sun beds get up early and find some as most are gone by 9am. I do not feel the standard of the rooms warrant a four star rating though. Having stayed with riu before on several occasions I was a little disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Marrakech is a really chaotic, crazy and crumbling destination to holiday in. Everyone thought we should have stayed in a Riad in the centre but as we had two grown up children (both over 18) we opted for the all-inclusive option. The idea was that they would sit by the pool for a few days while we did the history and culture thing. However, exceptionally cool and wet weather for early April dampened our plans, and we spent each day visiting the souks.

I have to say that the Tikida Garden was a beautiful, tranquil setting and wonderful escape from the centre. All the public areas were magnificently managed - leave a cup or a plate for a moment and it is whisked away, as was any litter. Although smoking is permitted we were in a non-smoking block very close to the pool. We also hardly noticed any smoking in the restaurants.

Food was plentiful in the restaurant. Not always fantastic, but loads of choice. Service was brilliant. The small a la carte Moroccan restaurant on site was terrific - it only seated about 40 people and you needed to book. Very well worth it.

So why not 5 stars? Really it was the room that let things down; it wasn't 4 star quality. The air con didn't work and the safe needed fixing (always seems to happen to me); the fridge didn't seem to work and the alarm clock was broken. The room phone was dodgy too. To be honest, they did fix most things quite quickly, and they gave us a blank card key so we could keep the electricity on (and then the fridge worked). The bathroom wasn't brilliant and the shower went from cold to boiling hot.

The free shuttle bus to the centre was sometimes over subscribed and only took you to the new part of the city. So we usually took a taxi from the hotel gates, and picked another up from the centre to come back.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I travelled All Inclusive with Thomson March/April and really enjoyed the overall holiday. We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather all week. It was around 28*c most days with a light breeze so perfect for exploring the city. It was only overcast on one day of the week. I believe March/April is Morocco's high tourist season as it can often get too hot in the summer months - we were told it reached 50*c last year!

LOCATION
The hotel is situated outside of the city centre which means you'll need to use either the free courtesy bus or a taxi to take you there. There is a taxi rank at the entrance of the hotel - barter with them and you can get a good price. The price will depend on the time of day as they will charge around 20-40dh more in the evening but as a rule anything above 100dh is extortionate and 55dh is ideal. I found the distance from the city centre a blessing in disguise - 1. I don't think I would be able to find my hotel very easily if it wasn't and 2. After a long day it's much nicer coming back to somewhere quiet to relax rather than the hustle and bustle which happens early evening through to night (you also might get woken up by the call to prayers!)

THE ROOM
The room is pretty basic and I would have like to have seen more traditional moroccan architecture but it was clean, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot and fairly powerful. I had a room on the ground floor opposite the pool which was great for walking straight out and grabbing a sun lounger (yes it happens - 8am!). Absolutely no complaints.

THE STAFF
The staff were exceptional. The manager made a point of introducing himself on the first night and continuously asked if there were any problems he could sort out throughout the holiday. The maids, reception, waiting and animation staff also delivered this same quality.

THE SURROUNDINGS
The gardens and decor were stunning - all constantly kept in immaculate condition. There were numerous places to sit down (inside and out) throughout the hotel.

THE POOL
The pool is one of the best I've been in abroad. Clean and deep and long enough to do some 'proper' swimming. There is also a shallow end which is suitable for young children to use. It's unheated so can be cold when you first dive in but like most holiday pools it's fine after a couple of lengths and lovely when the weather gets a bit too much. There is also an indoor heated pool but this is only free to use until the end of March. Personally I didn't like this so much as it was a lot smaller (about 10/15m...I can't quite remember) and had underwater ledges which made it difficult if you wanted to swim up and down. There was also a gym that was free to use 3pm-7pm which was quiet and had some decent equipment in.

THE ENTERTAINMENT
The animation team were brilliant and worked very hard. There were loads of different activities on throughout the day - French Boules, Arabic Lessons, Ping Pong Tournaments etc. There was a different show every night and the team put on brilliant comedy performances (one thing you may notice is that the Moroccan's have a brilliant sense of humour). The African and Moroccan nights were brilliant also and well worth a watch.

THE FOOD
The food was the only thing that let the hotel down. Being a vegetarian I found it very difficult to find enough options for the week. Although I think you'll find this throughout the whole of Morocco - vegetarian means vegetables. There was a lot of choice but it was pretty much the same choice every night and not always hot (although you can ask the chef/waiter to heat some things up for you and they'll bring your plate back scorching). Not awful but not to the same standard of other RIU resorts I've been to and heard the same from other people. We went in the a la carte restaurant one night which you have to book in advance and it was lovely. Definitely the best veg and cous cous out of all the veg and cous cous' I'd had all week! You can also arrange to have champagne if it's for a special occasion.

THE BARS AND DRINK
The drinks are what you'd expect at an all inclusive resort - nothing to write home about but nothing wrong with them either. I'm not a wine drinker but I was told the house red was lovely and there was enough choice with cocktails, spirits and soft drinks. The biggest problem I had was that the Zanzibar and lobby area were both smoking which meant I was unable to spend any time there, however the lower bar, where they held the animation events was a non-smoking area so I was fine there.

WHAT TO WEAR?
Being a young female I was a little worried about what clothes I should be wearing around a traditional arab city but after the first day I didn't bother. Morocco is much more accepting of other religions and cultures than some of it's neighbours and I didn't get one disapproving look the whole time I was there. I mainly walked around in strappy dresses and comfy sandals which were great when you were on your feet all day. On one day I went hiking around the mountains and wore shorts which were also fine. I would advise bringing a few light jumpers/jackets for the evening as the temperature drops.

THE PEOPLE AND CULTURE
All of the locals I came across were friendly, helpful and funny. (They love shouting out 'ASDA PRICE', "FISH AND CHIPS' and 'LADY GAGA'... :S). They speak Arabic and fluent French so if you can make an effort with these languages it goes a long way however most people also speak basic English so you are able to communicate if you are struggling. I did get a few 'camel' offers but it was all very light-hearted so best just to laugh it off or if it does really bother you just tell them you're married.

SHOPPING
I'd definitely recommend saving some room in the case to bring back goods as there is so much to buy in terms of homeware, fashion and beauty. Morocco is known for it's leather, rugs and argan oil. I was recommended to purchase argan oil from a reputable dealer so I got mine from a pharmacy rather than the souks. You have to barter on nearly everything in Marrakech - it can be daunting at first but it's fine once you get used to it. The easiest way I found was the ask how much and then simply walk away. However, if items are marked, don't barter - this is a fixed price.

THINGS TO DO
I went on two organised trips whilst I was there - Discover Marrakech and Ourika Valley and decided to explore on my own the rest of the time. I couldn't recommend these two trips enough! Normally I hate excursions but these were both great value for money and the tour guides were faultless. You can arrange a deal with a taxi driver for them to take you to all the sites in a day which may work out cheaper but the excursions were worth it simply for the knowledge of the guides. I would definitely recommend researching all the trips before you come though as I received very little information from our holiday rep and there was no information book.

OVERALL
Overall I absolutely loved my visit to Marrakech - it is such a vibrant and interesting city with loads of things to do. The only thing that let the hotel down was the food although that is far out-shadowed by what made it great. It definitely stars as one of my top 5 cities I've been to and I would definitely consider returning, however probably not with Thomson. I felt like there was poor service all round from them - from the non-existent rep to the slow delivery of food on the plane...not to mention that bloody ridiculous evacuation video they need to get rid of!

If you'd like to see a little bit more of Marrakech I did make a video on my time there that you can view here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5IShiuA7M

HAPPY TRAVELS :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

we booked direct and got a brilliant deal, the staff were mostly amazing (a few grumpy people but if the rest hadn't been so amazing probably wouldn't have noticed the grumpy ones). Pool was freezing but nice to cool down in, gardens were lovely. lots of places to sit around, just enough sunbeds, Tennis courts, football, crazy golf, ping pong, arabic lessons, tagine making, dancing lessons, entertainment in the evenings. The food was good, although almost the same selection every night, this meant you could try something new every night too, or stick to your favourites. Spirit measures were mini and smoking was allowed in the Zanzibar which is annoying as you do end up smelling of smoke. Music in the the zanzibar was pretty terrible (i think they were trying to encourage people to the other bar for the entertainment). The room was fine. We had 229 which had a poor view of a poster and was quite cold but we did not complain or ask to be moved as we spent very little time in the room it didn't matter to us. Beds were on the hard side but not rock solid so we were very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The grounds are nice, staff very very good and a brilliant place for a week.

Room Tip: 400's have nice gardens
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent 2 weeks at the hotel with my husband in September 2012 and we met some lovely people.
The staff at this hotel made the holiday something special, especially the entertainment team, they were always so freindly and jolly.
The Gardens were lovely and beautifully kept. The rooms could do with a refurb, but they were clean and spacious and adequate for the amount of time spent there. Everywhere was kept clean and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere around the pool, infact around the whole hotel.
The food was varied but could have been hotter, but I think this is the problem with buffet style.
The only thing I have a complaint about was the bar which we were unable to sit in due to the amount of smog caused by the smokers. I did complain to Pablo but he said that there was nothing he could do about it because Morrocco is a smoking country and there were other places within the hotel that were non smoking.
We enjoyed a one night stay in the desert in the Atlas Mountains and rather painful, bumpy camel ride on the way.
Would recommend this hotel and will probably stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The place was lovely and the staff were exceptional but the only things i would say would be that when we got into our room our mini fridge was empty and was not filled for the whole week we were there, the hairdryer they provided us was terrible it was like a tube and the top was broke it took about 1 hour and a half to dry, the toilet flush wasn't great and the bath plug had great difficulty to remove, The food was the same every night i would have liked a bit more selection and we had to have the same dirty beach towels everyday, and it smelt of sewerage but other than that it was lovely and the staff were exceptional

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!