“Everything but the food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #180 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Everything but the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I travelled All Inclusive with Thomson March/April and really enjoyed the overall holiday. We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather all week. It was around 28*c most days with a light breeze so perfect for exploring the city. It was only overcast on one day of the week. I believe March/April is Morocco's high tourist season as it can often get too hot in the summer months - we were told it reached 50*c last year!

LOCATION
The hotel is situated outside of the city centre which means you'll need to use either the free courtesy bus or a taxi to take you there. There is a taxi rank at the entrance of the hotel - barter with them and you can get a good price. The price will depend on the time of day as they will charge around 20-40dh more in the evening but as a rule anything above 100dh is extortionate and 55dh is ideal. I found the distance from the city centre a blessing in disguise - 1. I don't think I would be able to find my hotel very easily if it wasn't and 2. After a long day it's much nicer coming back to somewhere quiet to relax rather than the hustle and bustle which happens early evening through to night (you also might get woken up by the call to prayers!)

THE ROOM
The room is pretty basic and I would have like to have seen more traditional moroccan architecture but it was clean, the beds were comfy and the shower was hot and fairly powerful. I had a room on the ground floor opposite the pool which was great for walking straight out and grabbing a sun lounger (yes it happens - 8am!). Absolutely no complaints.

THE STAFF
The staff were exceptional. The manager made a point of introducing himself on the first night and continuously asked if there were any problems he could sort out throughout the holiday. The maids, reception, waiting and animation staff also delivered this same quality.

THE SURROUNDINGS
The gardens and decor were stunning - all constantly kept in immaculate condition. There were numerous places to sit down (inside and out) throughout the hotel.

THE POOL
The pool is one of the best I've been in abroad. Clean and deep and long enough to do some 'proper' swimming. There is also a shallow end which is suitable for young children to use. It's unheated so can be cold when you first dive in but like most holiday pools it's fine after a couple of lengths and lovely when the weather gets a bit too much. There is also an indoor heated pool but this is only free to use until the end of March. Personally I didn't like this so much as it was a lot smaller (about 10/15m...I can't quite remember) and had underwater ledges which made it difficult if you wanted to swim up and down. There was also a gym that was free to use 3pm-7pm which was quiet and had some decent equipment in.

THE ENTERTAINMENT
The animation team were brilliant and worked very hard. There were loads of different activities on throughout the day - French Boules, Arabic Lessons, Ping Pong Tournaments etc. There was a different show every night and the team put on brilliant comedy performances (one thing you may notice is that the Moroccan's have a brilliant sense of humour). The African and Moroccan nights were brilliant also and well worth a watch.

THE FOOD
The food was the only thing that let the hotel down. Being a vegetarian I found it very difficult to find enough options for the week. Although I think you'll find this throughout the whole of Morocco - vegetarian means vegetables. There was a lot of choice but it was pretty much the same choice every night and not always hot (although you can ask the chef/waiter to heat some things up for you and they'll bring your plate back scorching). Not awful but not to the same standard of other RIU resorts I've been to and heard the same from other people. We went in the a la carte restaurant one night which you have to book in advance and it was lovely. Definitely the best veg and cous cous out of all the veg and cous cous' I'd had all week! You can also arrange to have champagne if it's for a special occasion.

THE BARS AND DRINK
The drinks are what you'd expect at an all inclusive resort - nothing to write home about but nothing wrong with them either. I'm not a wine drinker but I was told the house red was lovely and there was enough choice with cocktails, spirits and soft drinks. The biggest problem I had was that the Zanzibar and lobby area were both smoking which meant I was unable to spend any time there, however the lower bar, where they held the animation events was a non-smoking area so I was fine there.

WHAT TO WEAR?
Being a young female I was a little worried about what clothes I should be wearing around a traditional arab city but after the first day I didn't bother. Morocco is much more accepting of other religions and cultures than some of it's neighbours and I didn't get one disapproving look the whole time I was there. I mainly walked around in strappy dresses and comfy sandals which were great when you were on your feet all day. On one day I went hiking around the mountains and wore shorts which were also fine. I would advise bringing a few light jumpers/jackets for the evening as the temperature drops.

THE PEOPLE AND CULTURE
All of the locals I came across were friendly, helpful and funny. (They love shouting out 'ASDA PRICE', "FISH AND CHIPS' and 'LADY GAGA'... :S). They speak Arabic and fluent French so if you can make an effort with these languages it goes a long way however most people also speak basic English so you are able to communicate if you are struggling. I did get a few 'camel' offers but it was all very light-hearted so best just to laugh it off or if it does really bother you just tell them you're married.

SHOPPING
I'd definitely recommend saving some room in the case to bring back goods as there is so much to buy in terms of homeware, fashion and beauty. Morocco is known for it's leather, rugs and argan oil. I was recommended to purchase argan oil from a reputable dealer so I got mine from a pharmacy rather than the souks. You have to barter on nearly everything in Marrakech - it can be daunting at first but it's fine once you get used to it. The easiest way I found was the ask how much and then simply walk away. However, if items are marked, don't barter - this is a fixed price.

THINGS TO DO
I went on two organised trips whilst I was there - Discover Marrakech and Ourika Valley and decided to explore on my own the rest of the time. I couldn't recommend these two trips enough! Normally I hate excursions but these were both great value for money and the tour guides were faultless. You can arrange a deal with a taxi driver for them to take you to all the sites in a day which may work out cheaper but the excursions were worth it simply for the knowledge of the guides. I would definitely recommend researching all the trips before you come though as I received very little information from our holiday rep and there was no information book.

OVERALL
Overall I absolutely loved my visit to Marrakech - it is such a vibrant and interesting city with loads of things to do. The only thing that let the hotel down was the food although that is far out-shadowed by what made it great. It definitely stars as one of my top 5 cities I've been to and I would definitely consider returning, however probably not with Thomson. I felt like there was poor service all round from them - from the non-existent rep to the slow delivery of food on the plane...not to mention that bloody ridiculous evacuation video they need to get rid of!

If you'd like to see a little bit more of Marrakech I did make a video on my time there that you can view here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5IShiuA7M

HAPPY TRAVELS :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

we booked direct and got a brilliant deal, the staff were mostly amazing (a few grumpy people but if the rest hadn't been so amazing probably wouldn't have noticed the grumpy ones). Pool was freezing but nice to cool down in, gardens were lovely. lots of places to sit around, just enough sunbeds, Tennis courts, football, crazy golf, ping pong, arabic lessons, tagine making, dancing lessons, entertainment in the evenings. The food was good, although almost the same selection every night, this meant you could try something new every night too, or stick to your favourites. Spirit measures were mini and smoking was allowed in the Zanzibar which is annoying as you do end up smelling of smoke. Music in the the zanzibar was pretty terrible (i think they were trying to encourage people to the other bar for the entertainment). The room was fine. We had 229 which had a poor view of a poster and was quite cold but we did not complain or ask to be moved as we spent very little time in the room it didn't matter to us. Beds were on the hard side but not rock solid so we were very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The grounds are nice, staff very very good and a brilliant place for a week.

Room Tip: 400's have nice gardens
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent 2 weeks at the hotel with my husband in September 2012 and we met some lovely people.
The staff at this hotel made the holiday something special, especially the entertainment team, they were always so freindly and jolly.
The Gardens were lovely and beautifully kept. The rooms could do with a refurb, but they were clean and spacious and adequate for the amount of time spent there. Everywhere was kept clean and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere around the pool, infact around the whole hotel.
The food was varied but could have been hotter, but I think this is the problem with buffet style.
The only thing I have a complaint about was the bar which we were unable to sit in due to the amount of smog caused by the smokers. I did complain to Pablo but he said that there was nothing he could do about it because Morrocco is a smoking country and there were other places within the hotel that were non smoking.
We enjoyed a one night stay in the desert in the Atlas Mountains and rather painful, bumpy camel ride on the way.
Would recommend this hotel and will probably stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The place was lovely and the staff were exceptional but the only things i would say would be that when we got into our room our mini fridge was empty and was not filled for the whole week we were there, the hairdryer they provided us was terrible it was like a tube and the top was broke it took about 1 hour and a half to dry, the toilet flush wasn't great and the bath plug had great difficulty to remove, The food was the same every night i would have liked a bit more selection and we had to have the same dirty beach towels everyday, and it smelt of sewerage but other than that it was lovely and the staff were exceptional

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

On arrival at resort, we had no Thomson rep to meet us, spent at least 30 mins walking round the car park looking for our coach.
The food
Awful.. I have stayed in Riu hotels before and i have to say i was very disappointed, Turkey breast was red inside ( this was served every night along with all the other food) no variation at all. Breakfast was ok if you liked eggs!!!, Lunch was very disappointing.
Drink
What can i say 100% watered down ( all the white spirits i.e Gin, Vodka) had to resort to bringing our our duty free down from the room. I dont mean a little watered down i mean no alcohol AT ALL.
Entertainment.
What is to be expected from this type of holiday, They really tried, friendly staff on the animation team.
Hotel room
BASIC is all i can say and very small.

pool
great spacious pool area, wouldnt like to try and get a bed in the summer tho as we went in March and very busy.

This was a winter weekend break, and have to say i would not return,I could not have coped with having the same food every single day for a day longer. Also we was unable to eat in the special restaurant as they had no space for the next 7 days!!! we was only there for 3!!
i have had better 3 star hotels in spain. No way is this a Riu hotel. I did have an amazing time but that wasnt to do with the food or drink or hotel, purely the guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel and staff were all lovely here, very helpful and polite. The manager was very very good, welcoming guests daily and keeping the hotel at its high ratings. The only thing I would suggest to people is to bring a couple of sets of warmer clothes as we got caught in a rain storm, very heavy and cold. However the rest of the days were hot but again chilly in the evening which may be expected at this time of year. Food was lovely although quite repetitive but luckily not being a fussy eater, always found something to suit the appetite. A must do is the Atlas Mountains 4by4....amazing trip and well worth the money. Discovery of Marakesh was a good day but a little too in depth with the info. Although Marakesh seems quite overwhelming and busy, it gets easier and you actually feel quite safe. Traders are very pushy but just learn to ignore unless you wish to buy. A very lovely place overall and would visit again. Will definitely come back to this hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

As many people have mentioned,the staff at this hotel make it. Simo,Issam and Naimha in the bar and Fatima, Ibitsimma and Samir,the entertainment team. Mohammed in the restaurant is great aswell,all of the staff are always smiling,helpful and joking! The only slight moan about the staff is that the reception staff can be surley and definately need to take some English lessons.

The Gardens are lovely and when we were there they were painting the outside of the buildings,some people have moaned about this but when are they supposed to do it at an all year round hotel? The rooms themselves could do with a refurb,they are clean and spacious and adequate for the amount of time you are in the room, I had a problem with my plugs in room but this was sorted as soon as I reported it. The beds are fine for a good night sleep and when I complained that my pillows were so hard they were changed that same day for softer ones. The only sleeping issue is that other guest do tend to move furniture accross the floor late at night and I think the walls are quite thin, this is a problem as the hotel is on the golf breaks circuit so when golfers set their alarms at 6.30 am this can be heard in the surrounding rooms! Everywhere is clean and there is a lovely relaxed atmosphere around the pool, infact around the whole hotel.

The food is varied and good enough, though note to management have a chef watching over the pasta area as I was disgusted to see one woman separate the spaghetti from the serving plate, to her plate with her hands, This though is the standard of some of the guests and not the hotels fault,also the food at lunch time could do with being hotter. The wine is fine and all drinks are plentiful.

Pablo the Director was brilliant. Always around and ready to sort out or explain any problems,very approachable, (pero no alli para decir "adios") Gracias "Marc Anthony"

Brian the Thomson rep was also very good and when I had a personal problem went out of his way to sort it out,Thanks matey,The coach did arrive didn't it!!

All in all for the price of this holiday it was excellent value for money, we were there for 2 weeks and met some lovely people and If I were to return it would be because of the staff. The biggest gripe for me was the smoking! In the bar we always tried to sit near the door and get a little fresh air, it really is a thick smokey atmosphere and I woke up every morning with a sore throat, that would make me think twice about returning and it is a problem that needs to be sorted, I am going to Riu Tikida Palace in May and I believe that there is the same problem there!! Riu need to sort this !

Most of the little "problems" I have highlighted are down to other guests and people not being considerate to others, This is not the hotels fault though in the planning of what guests in what rooms then surely the families with children or groups of youngsters on holiday who are likely to make more noise should not be roomed near older couples or single guests. Just makes sense to do this to me.

If you're looking for a cheap all inclusive, good food,drink and a chill out with some lovely people then this hotel is for you. If you are going don't forget to feed the tortoises in the gardens!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Garden? Share your experiences!