“Excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Garden

You added Hotel Riu Tikida Garden to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Circuit de la Palmeraie - BP 1585, Marrakech 40007, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD 2016 DEALS
Ranked #210 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I have just spent a week at the Riu Tikida Garden on an all inclusive deal, and had a lovely and relaxing time. The staff is fantastic, room very comfortable with towels changed daily and we had an amazing chamber maid who did artistic things with towels, flowers etc. The meals are all self service and there is a huge choice of food and plenty to eat. The swimming pool is big and one can either sit on loungers by it, or in the gardens surrounding the pool. All drinks are free at all times, including bottles of mineral water which are always at hand. Entertainment is provided throughout the day, and in the evenings, if you want to join in, otherwise you are left in peace to relax and do whatever you choose. There were some families with small children and they were made very welcome by the staff. The hotel is excellently run by the manager, Mr Pablo, a very nice man who is always available for any information or to deal with any requests. A free shuttle is provided by the hotel and it takes you into the town very quickly. We were glad not to be staying in the middle of Marrakech as we loved the peace and quiet of the hotel. It was an excellent holiday at a very reasonable price. We would recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor facing the garden. It had a balcony and it was very quiet. Air cond...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Polish first
Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We have been at this hotel for 2 days now on a fully inclusive basis. All the staff are welcoming and polite. The food is good and certainly better than most fully inclusives I have been to. It's a short cheap taxi ride to the centre of town although the hotel has a shuttle bus to the New Town several times a day. There are plenty of loungers around the pool and gardens. They also supply beach towells.

• Stayed May 2012
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We were very happy with our choice of Tikida Garden. The welcome drinks were a pleasant surprise and the check in was fast and smooth. We were shown to our room and our bags brought later for us. The room was very spacious and clean with a balcony that was a sun trap in the evenings. Towels & linen changed regularly (and we had no problems changing the pool towels). The food was very good quality and there is plenty to choose from (pasta's, pizza, traditional Moroccan, hot meats & fish, cold salads, various breads, soups and deserts) This is the first all inclusive holiday we have been on and were pleasantly surprised! The service from the waiters is also excellent - they were very attentive. We ate in both restaurants and also went out one evening for a meal in a local Riad. There is plenty to do if you want to get involved - I attended the morning exercise groups, afternoon step classes, arabic lessons, we played tennis, table tennis and watched the pool games! (The water was a bit chilly!) The weather was glorious (we were there end of April). A couple of trips out into Marrakech which we loved - one was planned trip with a guide (highly recommended). We also went on the day trip to the Atlas mountains which again we thoroughly enjoyed. In the evenings we would sit on our balcony enjoying a G&T in the sun, and then after dinner would either sit outside or in the lounge. We also enjoyed the African dancing evening show. Any queries we had we checked out with reception who were very helpful, and so was Rachid, our rep, who was very well organised and extremely knowledgeable. The grounds of the hotel were kept spotlessly clean, and if you take a walk around the grounds you will find a turtle and also see so many beautiful flowers in bloom. It was lovely to come back to the Tikida after an enjoyable but busy & chaotic day in the Medina!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

My friend and I (both girls in our mid-30s) booked this hotel last minute as a relatively "cheap" deal so we didnt have high expectations and just wanted a relaxing week away. We didnt want to pay the extra money to stay in the Tikida Palmerie. However, we were not disappointed at all and both had a lovely, lovely week from 23rd April.
The hotel was small by comparison to the ones I have stayed in before but it had a lovely, friendly feel as a result. Having stayed in Egypt on a number of occassions I was slightly concerned about being hassled by the male staff at the resort, being just two girls together, but we didnt have anything to worry about as everyone was incredibly friendly and respectful.

I am not really into animation when I am on holiday (I just like to swim and relax!) but I have to say that the hotel offered a great mix, which was organised by a couple of really nice guys. They did cooking sessions, arabic lessons, salsa dancing, step classes, yoga and the usual aqua aerobics - all around the pool. The classes were always well attended and I heard people giving great feedback.

Rooms were basic but fine for the duration of our stay. The shower was pretty bad (as per previous reviews) but I have personally had worse and I could have always had a bath if I had wanted. The only real problem was that the walls are really quite thin compared with other places I have stayed - I literally heard everything the people next door were watching on television and it lso woke me up early one morning. Perhaps they just had a loud television!

Food was actually really nice and having stayed in quite a few all-inclusives, I have to say that this was probably the best in terms of the organisation of everything. breakfast and dinner is served in the main restaurant (no outside seating but it was quite cold during the evenings we were there so not missed) and lunch is at the restaurant by the pool, which does have some outside seating. What was great was that during the day you can help yourself to hot drinks, soads, water and fruit juices, without having to order at the bar (which in my experience usually causes long queues). Alcohol was till ordered at the bar but i never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes and the hotel was at quite high capacity. Breakfast was the same - help yourself to tea, water and juice. In the evening you helped yourself to glasses of wine and there was a self-service beer tap....all a really great idea so you dont have to wait for anything! Food choices were great too - the usual fresh fish, meat, rice, potatoes, lots of salads, bread, pasta bar, pizzas and a corner with local cuisine. If you havent eaten enough then between lunch and dinner lots of snacks appear too!

sunbeds were taken around the pool pretty early in the day but there is a rule that says you arent allowed to reserve them until after 8 so that at least prevents those pesky towels appearing in the night! saying this, there were always beds available in the gardens, which are literally a step away from the pool so there was never a problem finding something and to be honest, the gardens were much nicer (lots of lovely orange trees).

Perhaps one slight improvement could be the free shuttle transfer. It runs quite regularly during the day but not at all in the evening - the last one leaves at 6pm. Perhaps a lot of the hotel's residents simply go to the main square and souks during the day but we liked to go out every night and the taxis werent cheap (although i read on another review that if you walked to the main road you could get them cheaper). Night rates for coming back to the hotel in a taxi were also quite expensive - 70-100 dirham depending on who you manage to negotiate with. We got a horse and carriage back one night for 100 dirham (dont worry if you think they are taking you in the opposite direction to the hotel - i think they like the scenic route and you will arrive safely eventually!!).

In terms of Marrakech itself, you simply MUST go into the main square at night to see the thousands of people, street performers and souks. Dont be afraid to eat at the market stalls too - "Number 1" does an amazing chicken tagine for 30 dirham (just £2.50), which is small but perfect if you have eaten a huge breakfast and lunch like us!! You must also buy macaroons from the street sellers - I bet you cannot just have one!!! Keep your belongings close to you and watch out for the hundreds of mopeds flying around but you will be safe - probably safer than walking around one of the UK's main cities at night as nobody drinks alcohol!

also try the hammans - they are amazing!!!

anyway, if you have an open mind, dont want absolute luxury but want very good value for money then this is the place for you!!

Room Tip: We read the reviews which said get a room in the new 400 block but despite asking for one we were to...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
South Ockendon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We spent week commencing 16 April at this hotel. I will try to review all aspects of the holiday that might influence your decision. We chose this hotel because we were looking for a relaxing break in April where we could more or less rely on the weather and we had stayed in a Riu hotel in Agadir in March 2010 so we had a good idea of the standard we could expect. I would say that the guests comprised about 70% French and the rest English with just a splattering of Morrocans I think this hotel was probably a half-board type hotel but to live with the competition has had to make it into an all-inclusive but it is not a luxurious purpose built all-inclusive hotel as you may get in say, Lara Beach in Turkey.

The hotel is of standard Morrocan style, it had the main reception area with the main buffet restaurant off on one side and the Zanzibar on the other and the theatre where they had the shows in the basement- there were rooms on the two floors above but there was also two low rise buildings of rooms that came off of the main building and went down to the pool area. It seems to me that they tried to keep guests from the same area together, on our floor we were mainly with guests who were with us on the Gatwick flight. We had a small balcony that didn't have much of a view but the gardens in this hotel are absolutely beautiful and we were lucky enough to be there in Spring when all the clematis were out, they were stunning My main concern with our room is the cleanliness and it was absolutely spotless, not luxurious but you couldn't fault the cleanliness, no grubby grout or smelly shower curtain and we had the same lady cleaner every day who was so polite and eager to please - we did tip her the regulation 100 dirhams on about day 3 and she was most grateful. She did make us swans etc out of the towels and we always had flower petals on our beds, which was a nice touch Don't rely on complimentary toiletries, you got a couple of soaps the size of an old penny piece and a couple of shampoos in the small sachets, like we had about 20 years ago - take your own bar of soap. The shower was off the taps over the bath and was absolutely hopeless, my husband reckoned it was the worst shower that he has ever experienced in a hotel, no pressure and all of a sudden you got a blast of really hot water but don't try to regulate it otherwise it goes freezing. I did ask a neighbour a couple of rooms away and she said that their shower was exactly the same. Not one drawer in the room at all but 2 wardrobes with a few cubbyholes - 6 hangers each side - we managed as we were only there for a week. There was a room safe which was easy to work. Beds are a little on the hard side. The other funny thing was that you had a small fridge but nothing in it, we didn't even have water delivered. If you wanted water you had to go to the main reception area where they had it behind the desk. There were no bottles or cans of anything so I noticed people who liked to have a drink in their room taking their drinks in both hands back with them.

As I said, this is not a purpose built all-inclusive so there is only the one main restaurant where you eat breakfast and dinner and a small restaurant with some outside eating space for lunch. This is also the place where there is a bar and you can get drinks all day long and as well a small selection of snacks are served from 3 till 6. The food was good but not a great variety - for the evening meal there was always soup, about 4 trays of mixed salads and fresh salad, there was always pasta and pizza, fish and a meat dish, plus about 4 different varieties of vegetables. There was a carvery on only twice in the week we were there. The head chef is always on hand and and if your approach him he will try to sort you out with whatever it is that you ask him for, he was very helpful. Breakfast was the usual with a selection of breads, a variety of eggs and a variety of pancakes. All in all we could both find something that we liked every night and everything was tasty and well cooked and....if you are a fish lover..... that was the best. There is no actual waiter service in the main restaurant, they just replenish your water and clear the plates, whatever wine, beer or soft drinks you want you have to get yourself, not a problem for us at all. In the lunchtime cafe it was all a bit sammie every day and you always knew that the first tray on the salad bar was going to be egg maionnaise!!!!! but I am sure there will always be something you can find to eat.

We never got out until after 11 am and we never had trouble finding a sun bed - that said I think some guests had to get what they deemed a best spot and sun beds around the pool were usually taken by about 9. Like I said the gardens are absolutely stunnng and there is so much space where you can put your sunbed - we used to sit under an orange tree while the sun was hot but you could always shift around to find sun or shade.

I am sure the animation team work hard and there did seem to be quite a lot of activities going on during the day. The evening entertainment was dire - I could go on about it but won't bother. They did have a few shows in the basement but we only went to the karoake to see what it was like and it wasn't very good except for a young English guy who did the Ricky Martin number and he was absolutely brilliant and even if I think of it now, I smile.

There is a shuttle bus into Marrakeche but it is only quite small and most days the 10.30 bus had to turn guests away, next bus 12 o'clock. We didn't bother, we just got a cab, reception call one that is parked on site, 50 dirhams (just under 4 pounds). Wherever you get into a cab always ask how much before you get in, it is regulation 50 dirhams from Marrekeche to the hotel. If you are near the main square there is a taxi rank with about 50 cabs waiting.

In conclusion, if you want a well run clean hotel with friendly staff, beautiful gardens and ideal weather in the Spring or Autumn this is a far better choice than the Canaries.

Just one last thing, we went with Thomson and hadn't booked any meals but they come along with pizza or hot wraps or snack boxes (cheese, pate and crackers), I think about 3.50. Don't bother with Marrekeche airport, all quite expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms off the main building are quieter and nice views of gardens.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We had a week long stay at this hotel in late April 2012. It is an amazing hotel, staff couldn't do enough for you.

The food was great my daughter loved having doughnuts for breakfast, the fresh pancakes were great too. The Morrocan restaurant has to be booked in advance but is well worth it, the tagines were beautiful. There is less choice in this restaurant, but the staff were happy to go and get things from the main restaurant when my daughter didn't like what was on offer. There is always pasta with tomato sauce/bolognaise and pizza for fussy eaters.

The pool was lovely and clean (a bit cold though). The children all had a great time walking across the stepping stones that seperated the paddling pool from the deeper pool. The signs that say you can't reserve sunbeds until 8am is ignored. If you have a small child and want to be around the pool to keep an eye on them you have to put your towels on sunbeds before breakfast. No need to take towels for sunbathing, they are provided by the hotel.

The hotel offers money exchange commission free, so you can change small amounts when necessary, there is also an ATM which we didn't use.

The night entertainment was very loud and late, didn't start until 9.45. Not good for us with a small child. Luckily it was below reception and the noise probably didn't affect many rooms.

The rooms were big and clean, towels were often shaped into swans or flowers. There is a free safety deposit box in the wardrobe for your use

The minibus to the centre was very useful and reliable. Where it drops you is still a reasonable walk to the main souks, They'll also drop you near the Yves Saint Laurent Gardens if requested. The Artisan market is the best place to buy things or at least get some idea of price as it is all fixed price. It's worth stopping for a drink in one of the roof top cafes around the square to watch the world go by. Watch out for the snake charmers who try to charge extortionate amounts for a few photos.

We hired a taxi and had a day trip to Setti Fatma - lovely waterfall and scenery. You will be taken to the standard Argen Oil co-operatives and Berber village unless you ask not to.

I would be very happy to receommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hartlepool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Three generations of our family went together and all had a great time. The welcome on arrival was very friendly. The rooms were of a high standard and kept very clean. My six year old granddaughter loved the towels made into swans and put in the bath. We were very impressed at the quality and variety of food on offer at mealtimes, something to suit all tastes. The restaurant staff all worked very hard, plates cleared away immediately. For a family, the entertainment started too late, but other than that we were very impressed with the whole experience. We used the courtesy coach to go into the town, which was very good. Beware of the snake charmers, they seem very friendly until they demand excessive amounts of money. We would recommend this hotel as all the staff were excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family