“Wonderful hotel with exceptional staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Maison Arabe

You added La Maison Arabe to your Saves list
La Maison Arabe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Derb Assehbe | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$ 150 off your bill
Ranked #7 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel with exceptional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am a cynical grumpy old bugger, but my gorgeous wonderful wife took me here to Celebrate my 50th birthday at the hotel, the staff presented me with the most delicious chocolate cake with lit candles and then proceeded to sing happy birthday in English, French & Arabic. The staff cannot do enough for you and always have a genuine smile. The Hotel itself is a hidden gem tucked away down a lane in true Moroccan style. Once inside you enter a wonderful world of understated elegance and sublime beauty; this really is one of the best places I have ever stayed in. Nothing is too much trouble. The building is an intoxicating mix of gorgeous indigenous architecture and the modern world gently adapted to make your stay even more wonderful. The place isn't built along traditional horizontal linear lines, you have to walk up and down short sets of stairs, turn corners, open doors and go in and out along balconies to fully enjoy this tiny gem. The Hammam is down in a subterranean world of subdued lighting flickering off the gently curved warm brick, with a myriad of wonderous smells and sounds to seduce, calm and relax you as the staff pamper and pound the stress of modern life away. The heart of the place is a small courtyard centred around a small fountain with fresh roses floating in it as the water bubbles off the tiled floor around which you may sit and enjoy mint tea, should the sun drop then step inside the lounge and huddle within the womb like embrace of the log fire sitting in comfort like a Vizier of old. The restaurant is entered through two wonderfully shaped carved doors, duck if you are over six foot and enter the splendid room serving fine foods and wine. The Jazz bar reminds one of dark smokey prohibition set from a Bogey film, you can sit amid the passionate paint scheme and wood pieces and imagine secretive meetings over bottles of whiskey with eyes foxed on the door watching to see who comes in. There is a Piano and a pianist most evenings and when he is absent then the staff play a fantastic range of old and new jazz to while away the time in decadent comfort. Breakfast can be served indoors, don't, sit out on the mesmorising balcony warmed by gas fires overlooking a rippling heated pool swathed in potted plants of all sizes, look around and take in the rest of the courtyard with its trees, high walls and what must be the most attentive staff in the land.

I really cannot emphasise how warm and helpful the staff are. Adil Chaif at the Front office for instance replaced the batteries of my wives' camera, put stamps on mail and posted them all without charge. Raja was the delightful person who first greeted us and showed the hidden depths of this most exquisite place with a gentle smile.

Go people just go.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I love, love, LOVE this hotel. Last time I was in Marrakech my husband and I ended up coming here twice for dinner because the restaurants (there are two!) are so lovely, and this trip we had to stay. The architecture is spectacular — a traditional riad setup with beautifully ornate decorations and a variety of tranquil common spaces. The rooms themselves are spacious, bright, and elegantly decorated. It was just a little too chilly in mid-December to go swimming, but the outdoor pool/dining space/sun decks are lovely.

The service is impeccable — everyone is wonderfully friendly, accommodating, and helpful in the extreme. I accidentally made a Hotels.com reservation for the wrong month and only noticed days before we were due to arrive (during a pretty busy period, no less) — they took care of it painlessly and even ended up charging me slightly less than what I'd paid online.

The restaurants are fantastic. There are two — the Moroccan restaurant and the "international" restaurant (which also has a Moroccan section on the menu). Both come with live music (still regretting that I forgot to buy their CD!), and both serve excellent food. There's also a jazz bar with great cocktails. A delicious breakfast is included and, blissfully, served until 11am, either in your room or out by the pool.

Make sure you try the hammam — it's a very relaxing (and different!) spa experience and their packages are quite reasonable.

As for location — this is pretty much the best spot imaginable. Easy accessible by car (which isn't true for most riads in the Medina, we found this out the hard way on past trips), and an easy walk to all the major sights. <10 minutes to the Jemaa el-Fna, an easy walk to Le Comptoir Darna and the nightlife spots, and there's a really lovely street just around the corner for a quieter-than-usual souk experience (take the Route Sidi Abdelaziz to the Souk Cherifia for some great stalls, antique shops, and high end boutiques).

Can't endorse La Maison Arabe enthusiastically enough. Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Room 219 is spacious and has great wifi and a small terrace, but not a ton of natural light.
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My friend and I recently traveled on our own to Marrakech and we stayed at the lovely Maison Arabe for 4 nights. The staff could not have been more helpful or welcoming. Our room, complete with a private balcony, was beautiful and spacious. I would highly recommend getting one of the Hammam packages. I have never felt so clean and relaxed in my life. The cooking class was also a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend it, even for the least enthusiastic cooks. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was delicious and far exceeded any version of a free western breakfast. I especially enjoyed the special Moroccan crepe prepared fresh for me. My friend and I quickly became regulars at the jazz bar, where I can say from ample experience, they make a great white russian. Enjoying a white russian on our terrace, looking at the stars and inhaling the spicy smell of the city became our nightly ritual.
There were not many families in the hotel, as far as I could tell, with small children. Most of the clientele were older and European. However, as two 21 year old females my friend and I felt very comfortable, so if older and European doesn't describe you, do not fear.
The location was very convenient, about a 15 minute walk from the main square and the souks. Its tucked into a quieter part of the medina, although very close to a mosque. If you are a light sleeper, the calls to prayer may be of some concern, although I suspect this would be an issue in most hotels.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone staying in Marrakech. A real Moroccan gem!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed for several days as guests at the Maison Arabe during November. On arrival down a small well kept alleyway we wondered how this place we had selected could possibly house all the accommodation and services it had to offer.
Set just within the Medina it is a short 10 minute walk into the centre of town.
Within a short stroll of the Riad you find Marrakesh is buzzing with local creative people, providing all the needs of local residents, a real feel for being in an exciting and safe place.
Every person we encountered in the street during our stay were friendly helpful and keen to chat to practice their English!
On entering the small door into reception we were greeted by friendly helpful staff, the warmth and fragrant aroma that met us infused the culture and colour of Morocco in an instant and lives with us now.
Fresh Mint tea and sweet biscuits were there to greet us in the courtyard. All staff are discreet and pre empt guests needs.
Two restaurants both with typical live music during evening meals, one Moroccan restaurant in a courtyard, and one Moroccan/European food, which is beside the pool both serve superb food. The ambience is different in each, the well trained helpful staff are plentiful and always more than keen to serve. ( we were eating in the Morrocan restaurant one evening when one couple decided to get up and dance to the music, the staff were there in an instant to roll up carpets and other obstructions so the guests could enjoy this in their own way).
The food in the Moroccan restaurant was superb quality fragrant with tastes we have never before enjoyed, the hotel has a cookery school and a colourful recipe book can be bought. It is possible to arrange a short cookery class during the stay.
The Hammam is the best we have ever been in. A range of treatments are available in a calm beautifully designed environment. All staff are discreet, once again well trained, the lighting from the Moroccan lamps creates a relaxing ambience, recovering following treatments on luxurious bed with drinks allows the calm of the treatments to take hold.
There is a piano bar with once again an efficient team of bar staff serving not only all the regular cocktails but those created by the bar staff.
There are many cosy rooms where residents can just chill all well decorated everywhere is immaculately clean.
The whole place exudes pampering and luxury, the toiletries in the rooms are fragrant amber and orange with body lotions and soaps you just want to use.
A team of dedicated cleaning staff keep the whole place in superb order, nothing is missed.
I dont think I have ever stayed in a place with such attention to detail, the whole management lead by Adil deserve an accolade to their ability meet the needs of clients in a sensuous environment.
Would I go back - you bet.
While we were there we checked out some other Riads but nothing could match the Maison Arabe for atmosphere style efficiency and authenticity, and location. What a find.

Room Tip: During our stay we only had experience of our room which was delightfully decorated in Moroccan styl...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Wonderful experience in the restaurant. Do not try the selection of Moroccan salads, or you will love vegetables, and finish evey piece of it.
The couscous is awesome. The music players (Oud + guitar) were great. Thanks a lot, it was hard to leave the place.

• Stayed December 2014
Schlehdorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had very good weather during out stay in Marrakesh up to the last day when it was cool and rainy. The rain started the previous evening and continued on and off through the next day. We could hear if lashing down on the plastic cover to the courtyard of the raid that we were renting. By the middle of the afternoon we had enough of reading on-line newspapers and had to get out. I had noticed the reviews of this hotel so we decided to walk by and have a look. Walking into the small lobby we at once felt the warmth of the wood fire burning in the open fireplace. We at once decided to stay for a drink. The basement bar is more a large lounge with a small bar. In the background was pleasant jazz music. We were the only patrons. The drinks were about the same as in the other good restaurants, which was very reasonable considering the ambiance. We shared a Lebanese starter salad which was excellent. So if you are feeling a little run down by the Marrakesh street scene then I suggest a quiet later afternoon drink here. It will be pure quality time.

Beautiful Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have only ever eaten at La Maison Arabe preferring to stay just outside the madness of the Medina. But this is such a gorgeous venue, and you feel you have been whisked right back to the film set of 'Casablanca' sitting in the restaurant sipping the house cocktail, listening to the pianist. Very romantic. We have eaten here on two separate occasions both last year and this year: inside the stunning restaurant and outside around by the pool. Despite it being cooler during our stay last time we ate outside and there were outside heaters which kept us toasty! I would definitely recommend outside dining - it is just so pretty. Gorgeous food, well presented, nice and relaxed, lovely staff and the best Morrocan wine - it's a really interesting place to visit full of beautiful things. Loved it and no doubt we will be back again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Maison Arabe? Share your experiences!