“solo traveller” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amine

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amine to your Saves list
Hotel Amine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Abdelkrim El Khettabi | Semlalia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #370 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
bournmouth
“solo traveller”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

well where do I start ... it was totally hilarious the hotel was probably glorious in its hey day but does look a bit shabby now... the reception was shabby but the staff were helpful ... the room was ok on the ground floor but again was a bit shabby but it was clean and the room maids were friendly... the bar was lovely and had a good range of drinks the bar man was efficient and will bring you little bowls of nibbles with your drink even if I was the only person in the bar lol.... the waiters in the restaurant were lovely especially ahmed who looked after me all week and was efficient getting me a pot of coffee instead of the luke warm stuff out of the coffee urn at breakfast and I always had butter with my bread just tip him a bit and he will bend over backwards for you have plenty of nibbles and bread as the food really lets the hotel down especially if it is buffet day as its always cold and not very tasty.... if they got a different chef and refurbished it could be a nice hotel with a nice pool area .... oh I nearly forgot wear earplugs at night as the door slamming is really bad and you may need them for the pool if the music has been turned up lol....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

3rd time staying at the Amine,as usual all the staff do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable I arrived on a Saturday, when,like most hotels it was chocka, the room wasnt as good as I had hoped for but after talking to the desk manager I was moved next day to a really good room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool,the pool area is fine with plenty of loungers and even a bar for a cold drink you can also have lunch served here if you fancy it,I should mention that there is also a resturant and bar inside,I am in Marrakech 3-4 times a year and for location and price you will have a long walk to find a comparable hotel,I always book a single room as I do travel alone and hotels in Marrakech only have dbl,rooms,I have stayed at the Agdal several times,it is also a fine hotel,remember we are talking hotels which cost around £10 a night incl. breakfast,we are not talking Mamounia,sure the rooms could use a pep talk and the tv,s could use a new satelite dish,but you are close to the center of Marrakech,the rooms are cleaned every day and any problems are cleared up when you are in town,if you leave the hotel and turn right,walk 15 paces you will find one of the busiest Moroccan resturants I have seen,all locals,good sign,I tried Harrira soup followed by a cheese omelette and fries and 1.5L of ice cold water this was served with half a loaf of local bread,I will admit that Im not very adventurous when it comes to food,but you can buy every type of tagine here,my meal cost me about 35dh or 3 euro,you cannot whack it,I think it would be impossible to use £5 pp.here,if you leave the hotel and cross the street,turn left and walk 100m you will find the bus stop for the #1 bus,every ride costs you 4dh,small change is a neccesity always,this bus takes you directly to Djemma el Fna,coming back, get on where you got off,the smell of the horses will guide you,when you make a sharp right hand turn at the end of Mohammed 5 then it is the second stop,at the Shell station,when booking an hotel in Morocco remember to detract at least 1 star from its rating and do not compare them to european hotels,they are worlds apart,and as I say in every review a couple of dollars on the pillow works wonders,

Room Tip: 3rd floor with view of pool if poss.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked with Hostel World. Advised by them that there would be a balance to pay. Hotel refused to take account of deposit paid to Hostel World and reception manager just shrugged his shoulders (and kept the receipt I gave him which confirmed the booking). Breakfast consists of pile of croissants which are often re arranged by hand by the bored waiters... yuk. No fruit. There are also some rolls and some cooked in front of you pancakes and some tomatoes and cucumbers with cottage cheese. OK for most people for the week. coffee on tap in a samovar and tea but not very hot for some reason. Cockroach at least 10 cm long in my bathroom. bidet constantly ran with water as the tap could not be turned off. The hook which was supposed to locked the patio doors fell to the floor when I touched it so there was no sense of security. Taxi to the airport should have been 2o dirhams as we had the previous day gone to the Minara (the building with the square pond in front) but the hotel got an old guy which must have been the manager's dad to pick us up and he insisted on being paid 200 dirhams. If you query the price they just grab your bags and start putting them in the boot and you have to forcibly tell them you don't accept the price as you know you are being ripped off. Apparently there is an airport bus that picks up from hotels so I would look into that if I were you. In hindsight I should have gone via resorthoppa as we were similarly ripped off by the taxi driver when we arrived. only 5kms but they charged 25 euros. Should have been more like 2. Best advice I can give is don't go to morroco at all. Everyone short changes you or tells you its one price then once you have given them the money they tell you its a higher price. Beggars touching you, standing in front of you; raw sewage smells as you are walking, food causing tummy upsets - it has little to redeem itself.

Room Tip: find a different hotel or it will ruin your holiday
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is my first review ever! but I was that disappointed I wanted to go home. I arrived at this hotel after a delayed flight with Ryanair (nothing new there) I had checked on trip adviser a few days before going and rang the travel agent A1 Travel to query the star rating they assured me it was a four star and even sent me additional information. I had telephoned the hotel the day before arrival and reserved a room on the 3/4th floor which was confirmed. When I arrived I was given keys and taken to a ground/basement room it was so dark and eerie down there. Well on opening the door it was a none starter (bearing in mind this was after 12 midnight) I was then shown a further 3 rooms one of which had not even been cleaned. I finally settled on the last room and switched on the TV only 1 English channel available I sat on the bed and thought I'm not even getting undressed and would have to look for another hotel in the morning! when the door knocked and the porter said he had another room (he must have read my mind) I was given room 341 it was not brilliant but it was better than the other 4 I had been seen previously. You cannot blame the hotel it was clean but really very tired the staff bent over backwoods to accommodate the quests. But the travel agent should not be selling the hotel as a four star.The breakfast was very basic like you would get in a motel in Orlando. The staff all very helpfully but this is really a 2/3 star rating the hotel may have been a four star when first opened probably 30 yrs or so years ago!! there was no fridge or tea making facilities in the room along with none working air conditioning they cleaned the room each day but never changed the sheets!! so if your expecting 4 Star don't!!! The pool is really nice and is cleaned each day but not sure if chlorine is used the pool the person just fishes out any unwanted floating objects but it has good spaces and adequate seating..

Room Tip: Take a room on the 3/4th floors with pool view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

second trip to hotel amine, staff are on the whole friendly, it does help to know a little french,the pool area is the best feature of a slightly run down premises, bedrooms although clean need a spruce up, phone not working and balcony door falling apart, worse than my first stay, a year ago.
As mentioned pool area great, but not the loud music, asked if volume could be lowered to a more relaxing level, it was turned off, then later back up to the high level they seem to like,guests were reading ,chatting and nodding off, or at least trying to, i am not sure i think i may have been at a rave, in the end i was wearing ear plugs by pool, not the relaxing time i had hoped for.
pete

Room Tip: pool view very pretty.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
grantham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went travelling solo at the end of February. I had excellent service from staff. This was important to me travelling as a lone woman.

Restaurant staff were lovely and were really friendly. Reception were always helpful. The use of some French really helped but the majority of staff spoke good English

Cleaning of the rooms was spot on.

Rooms looked a little dated but offered comfort and any problems were soon sorted out by reception. I was told the hotel would be undergoing refurbishment this year.

The pool was clean and lovely. I recommend a massage in the spa, it was brilliant.

Excursions were easily booked via the hotel. I took a trip up the Atlas mountains. A lunch was included in the trip. A trip to Fena Square is also recommended as an experience. Bartering is a way of life and I had fun knocking the taxi driver down on his price.

The roads in Marrakech are chaotic especially trying to cross the road!

Entertainment starts in the summer season and I was very happy to relax in the evenings with reading books and taking a glass of wine back to my room. Television is available in the rooms but there is only one English channel. This did not affect me though. I was grateful for the peace and quiet.

Marakesh itself is a crazy, colourful place. Outside of the city it seems a lot more laidback in the village. I met so many lovely people on my travels. I dressed in the appropriate dressing and kept covered to remain respectful when out and about.

Thank you to the staff who made my trip enjoyable and treated me like a queen.

Room Tip: Choose room 220.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Blockley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Better than expected after reading the reviews. We stayed for 2 nights at the beginning and end of a tour. Rooms and decor a little shabby in places, but staff very friendly and helpful. You can get or taxi, or we caught the number 1 bus into town - a fun experience!

The children loved the pool and you can get a really good massage too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Amine? Share your experiences!