“Not the Four star I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amine

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amine to your Saves list
Hotel Amine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Abdelkrim El Khettabi | Semlalia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #365 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Not the Four star I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is my first review ever! but I was that disappointed I wanted to go home. I arrived at this hotel after a delayed flight with Ryanair (nothing new there) I had checked on trip adviser a few days before going and rang the travel agent A1 Travel to query the star rating they assured me it was a four star and even sent me additional information. I had telephoned the hotel the day before arrival and reserved a room on the 3/4th floor which was confirmed. When I arrived I was given keys and taken to a ground/basement room it was so dark and eerie down there. Well on opening the door it was a none starter (bearing in mind this was after 12 midnight) I was then shown a further 3 rooms one of which had not even been cleaned. I finally settled on the last room and switched on the TV only 1 English channel available I sat on the bed and thought I'm not even getting undressed and would have to look for another hotel in the morning! when the door knocked and the porter said he had another room (he must have read my mind) I was given room 341 it was not brilliant but it was better than the other 4 I had been seen previously. You cannot blame the hotel it was clean but really very tired the staff bent over backwoods to accommodate the quests. But the travel agent should not be selling the hotel as a four star.The breakfast was very basic like you would get in a motel in Orlando. The staff all very helpfully but this is really a 2/3 star rating the hotel may have been a four star when first opened probably 30 yrs or so years ago!! there was no fridge or tea making facilities in the room along with none working air conditioning they cleaned the room each day but never changed the sheets!! so if your expecting 4 Star don't!!! The pool is really nice and is cleaned each day but not sure if chlorine is used the pool the person just fishes out any unwanted floating objects but it has good spaces and adequate seating..

Room Tip: Take a room on the 3/4th floors with pool view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

second trip to hotel amine, staff are on the whole friendly, it does help to know a little french,the pool area is the best feature of a slightly run down premises, bedrooms although clean need a spruce up, phone not working and balcony door falling apart, worse than my first stay, a year ago.
As mentioned pool area great, but not the loud music, asked if volume could be lowered to a more relaxing level, it was turned off, then later back up to the high level they seem to like,guests were reading ,chatting and nodding off, or at least trying to, i am not sure i think i may have been at a rave, in the end i was wearing ear plugs by pool, not the relaxing time i had hoped for.
pete

Room Tip: pool view very pretty.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
grantham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went travelling solo at the end of February. I had excellent service from staff. This was important to me travelling as a lone woman.

Restaurant staff were lovely and were really friendly. Reception were always helpful. The use of some French really helped but the majority of staff spoke good English

Cleaning of the rooms was spot on.

Rooms looked a little dated but offered comfort and any problems were soon sorted out by reception. I was told the hotel would be undergoing refurbishment this year.

The pool was clean and lovely. I recommend a massage in the spa, it was brilliant.

Excursions were easily booked via the hotel. I took a trip up the Atlas mountains. A lunch was included in the trip. A trip to Fena Square is also recommended as an experience. Bartering is a way of life and I had fun knocking the taxi driver down on his price.

The roads in Marrakech are chaotic especially trying to cross the road!

Entertainment starts in the summer season and I was very happy to relax in the evenings with reading books and taking a glass of wine back to my room. Television is available in the rooms but there is only one English channel. This did not affect me though. I was grateful for the peace and quiet.

Marakesh itself is a crazy, colourful place. Outside of the city it seems a lot more laidback in the village. I met so many lovely people on my travels. I dressed in the appropriate dressing and kept covered to remain respectful when out and about.

Thank you to the staff who made my trip enjoyable and treated me like a queen.

Room Tip: Choose room 220.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Blockley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Better than expected after reading the reviews. We stayed for 2 nights at the beginning and end of a tour. Rooms and decor a little shabby in places, but staff very friendly and helpful. You can get or taxi, or we caught the number 1 bus into town - a fun experience!

The children loved the pool and you can get a really good massage too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Me my wife my kids and 4 of my friends we spent 2 nights in amine hotel in marrakech .before I went I expected bad things . Please don't listen to that . The place is very nice .clean the staff are very helpful and polite the food is fresh and tasty the hotel is 10 minutes walk to city centre . And have beautiful palm tree garden and roses. The price we paid was a joke too cheap . In The morning I saw an English man complaining about not providing English breakfast in The buffet . If must be in The wrong place . He should spend his holiday in black pool instead . Parking is secure and free . And The room are clean with balcony . Very peaceful . Thanks to the staff for their kindness to us and our children .kind and genuine people

• Stayed April 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Reading reviews on this hotel really freaked me out! However, once i got there (with no expectations), i was very surprised. The people were very friendly, hotel was decent.

Advice would be to try and butter them up with a little french, also if your rude, they will be too!
Try and spend more time travelling the areas, rather than spend time in the hotel (unless the suns out).
Drink the orange juice from the souk, its yummy and refreshing.
Bargain with the horse carriage, start with 50MAD, coz they will try and con you to pay more (i stupidly did the first time). But do have a ride coz its lovely.
Theres a sheesha cafe called Starlight, definitley recommend going there, lovely atmosphere, hot dudes and sheesha is pretty awesome.
Careful when you go to the souk, the more you walk in, u will get lost! if possible just check out the area around you, its all the same.

Anyway, hotel is average! you get what you pay for! Rooms are clean, and shower water is warm. Take your own hair dryer as they dont provide.

Room Tip: Choose a room which has a view of the pool!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Amine with my mum and sister for a week, half board. We loved it! Yes its a dated hotel but we had a great time thanks to the lovely staff who are so helpful and friendly. The pool area is great and kept spotlessly clean as are the rooms. The food is lovely and varied. We felt spoilt! After breakfast we were offered mint tea and a table was laid for us outside to drink it! 1 day we decided to eat at the square that evening so changed our evening meal to a lunch instead, with no problems! Although a 3 course lunch was a little more than we needed!! I was quite shocked at how rude and disrespectful some travellers were towards the waiters tbh! A smile goes along way in any language!! All in all we loved Marrakech and will defo be going again soon and we will stay at the Amine again as its excellent value for money and you get 5 star treatment!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Amine? Share your experiences!