“Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amine

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amine to your Saves list
Hotel Amine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Abdelkrim El Khettabi | Semlalia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #364 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, unfortunately I read a review after we had booked it saying it was "The Fawlty Towers" of Morocco, this was so true.
We managed to stay 1 night but could not do anymore. The best part of the hotel is the pool and Gardens. Inside it is very dated and shabby, dirty towels, ripped towels, dirty rooms, cold and very dingy. We went in January and the evenings were chilly, the heating in the hotel didnt come on till 7.00 pm, we had to eat, in the basement restaurant, wearing our outdoor coats, there were some people there with gloves and hats on.
Food was very basic and most the staff, apart from maybe 2 were rude, it was as if they didnt care.
If this was rated as a 2 star hotel and you were paying 2 star prices then there would not be a problem but they have branded this hotel a 4 star. We moved the next day to a genuine 4 star hotel and the difference was huge.

Room Tip: Don't Go to this Hotel, Opera Plaza Hotel was lovely, beautiful rooms, great location
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

we stayed here 5 -14 jan2013, first room allocated was small, smelly, and shabby, loose fittings, bare electric wires.
we complained next morning, and soon had a better room, on 3rd floor overlooking pool, a sewer smell came from heating at times, the water ran brown at times. The corridors and stairs leading to rooms are very poorly lit at nights
the food was basic, french bread sticks cut up, salad, cheap cornflakes and sweet pastries for breakfast. Dinner changed from buffet to table service after 2 days, portions very small, lots of tough meat, tasteless cous cous or smash potato, all very bland, dry cake and biscuits for dessert. staff not that helpful, better service if you constantly tip,
the city is noisy ,busy and full of pushy stall holders, lots of animal cruelty in square, not my kind of holiday at all, amine hotel does not have a friendly atmosphere and marrakech is a mucky place .

Room Tip: if you can speak french, will smarm round waiters and other staff you may just enjoy this place, but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've travelled to many places and this is the worst hotel I've been to. It was so bad it was almost comical. On arrival I tried to take a bath but the water was a disturbing shade of brown. The night temperature was around 6 degrees but the heating didn't work. We were given a twin room instead of a double and when we asked to be moved were told the hotel was full (it had 20% occupancy at most). The 'room service' was only available at selected times, the wi fi limited to the cold lobby and the gym shut for 'repairs' (despite another guest apparently having only come out of it a couple of hours before) !

The worst bit was the food. Breakfast was just about edible but very limited. Our great mistake was that we booked half board. The evening meal was meant to be a buffet and for the first few days it was, albeit the worst buffet I'd ever experienced. On the morning I departed for the mountains I came down for breakfast at 6.45 only to find nothing prepared (it was meant to be open at 6). On returning from the mountains the buffet had disappeared and was replaced by a set menu. It was so limited we ate it and then went next door to a restaurant to complete our evening meal ! Three times I asked for coffee with my evening meal and was told I could only acquire it in the bar (despite that fact that it was available at breakfast).

The staff were far from helpful or friendly and the only reason I have given it two stars instead of one is that the room was at least clean. Also, the pool area would be nice in summer but in January only the brave or foolhardy would venture in. I never saw Basil but am sure he was in a back office somewhere directing operations.

I wasn't expecting much as it was cheap but I've experienced so much more at the same price. An eclectic mix of hotel guests dulled the pain but overall very poor.

Room Tip: Just stay for the room - don't eat here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The staff are incredibly unhelpful-there is no one to complain to as their manager is no where to be found and no one knows when she will be coming to work either!
Air condition/heating system is not only poor but is noisy and rather then cool or warm air you get aired with a horrible smell. Food lacks variety and often stale and night before food on offer!
for me its important to have a friendly atmosphere in a hotel but this one did not deliver in its customer service. Would not recommend, the pool is the only thing going for it.

Room Tip: would not recommend full stop!
Folkestone, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

large hotel with series of courtyards - so quite cold with breezes flowing freely. Staff were quite freindly. Helped us get a very good guide to tour the city and souks. Howvere for day trips better to book via travel agent offices just outside hotel or 200 yards to the left of main enterence. This will be 25% cheaper than booking via hotel.

Taxis back to airport were arranged with no difficulty - at 100 dinar flat rate.

Hoever old and not well maintained building.

Food was very monotonous and was tagines and couscous every day - in our half board package. Better to haveB&B and take dinner from any nearbye resteraunt - one just next door.

Lovely ceilings in the 2 lobbies based on palace in old city.

Room Tip: higher foors facing pool and gardens are nice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Possibly one of the worst hotels that I have ever stayed at. For £30/night I definitely expected more than what this dated hotel offered. To be fair, I didn't pay for 5 star accommodation and hence did not expect it, however I didn't expect dingy rooms, yellowed pillows and brown splatters down the bathroom walls either! This could all have been forgiven had the staff been vaguely bothered with providing a service, or even a smile...but we got none of that either!

The air conditioning units were on their last legs, the WiFi only worked in a very small section of the lobby (don't even think of getting WiFi in your room, or even half of the lobby for that matter) and staff went out of their way to be as rude and unhelpful as possible. Small things like giving us the table tennis bats was a huge chore. There was cold coffee at breakfast and a very poor selection of food.

The staff wore coats at the reception which is not the most professional way to dress in a supposedly 4 star hotel.They never bothered to put any heating on, either that or it just wasn't working. This resulted in a cold lobby and our hotel room was so cold I woke up shivering. You could not sit anywhere in the hotel without a coat, hat and gloves! (this was in December) There was no welcome when we first checked in to the hotel, just a gruff asking for a printed booking reservation.

In general I did not feel relaxed or happy while staying here. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I feel that it ruined my holiday because of how rude staff were and also because of the generally awful décor and feel of the place. It just felt dark and dirty and I felt most unwelcome.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is extremely dated and there is not much sign of maintainace in the rooms or the building it self (other then the garden and pool area). Paint peeling off the walls, heating system inadequate and broken (flushing out sewage smell).Toilet and bidet leaking, to be honest the room as you walk in looks reasonable until you start using the facility and they just dont work or they are broken/ faulty. We booked a family room and our room on the surface looked lik "Wow " - until we spent the day/ night in the room to discovered the faults above. My husband informed the reception desk who sent some one out to take a look. the maintainace guy 'fixed' various fault and said it was fine we stayed another night but it was still the same. However instead of moving as to another family room we were moved to two separate rooms next to each other, which did not have inter linking door, we were told that there was none free even though the hotel was as good as empty. So not really what you want to do on a family holiday with small children!

Breakfast was the same ever day and never out on time. the hotel states breakfast is served from 6am to 10am, but when we got there at round 7am there was nothing out and staff were only just starting to get breakfast room ready. Personally not worth the money you get charged to have breakfast included, there are loads of places local to grab a cup of tea, better still take your own. Would I recommend the hotel to anyone ! No, I would not, there are cheaper hotel where you probably get a better customer service and more pleasant staff. For me and my family, it was not a welcoming hotel, if the environment and the staff were pleasant you could turn a blind eye on lack of maintainace and the overall lack of facilities available within the hotel. But as it goes, it's a very dated hotel that looks good on the outside but lacks everything inside.

Room Tip: Would not recommend you stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Amine? Share your experiences!