“A GEM OF A FIND IN MARRAKECH” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amine

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amine to your Saves list
Hotel Amine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Abdelkrim El Khettabi | Semlalia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #362 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“A GEM OF A FIND IN MARRAKECH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Like entering a Hollywood movie set!!!! Wonderful attentive staff. Breakfast sufficient for a couple of camels! Good pool and snack bar. Excellent value.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at the hotel as a couple; we were surprised and delighted considering we paid so little for the short break. The hotel is clean, breakfast is a treat considering its budget status, the building is a little dated but rooms are made up and towels changed every day. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Pool area fantastic, although too cold for a swim this time of year. Location wise it’s a bit of a trek into town; pavements are poor so for the ladies sensible footwear is necessary. There are not many amenities close to the hotel but Taxis are available to town for a negotiable small fare – always haggle!

Room Tip: Garden Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter although it can be quite dark negotiating your way...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Just back from a 4 day stay at this hotel and was very pleasantly suprised, especially as some of the reviews were so awful. Considering our party of 16 paid about £9 a night including breakfast, I have nothing negative to say. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic but clean and completely adaquate. Maids cleaned every day and changed towels every day. Pool area and sunbeds great. Food round the pool, although limited, did the job for afternoon snacks. Breakfast was incredible for the money. Fresh tea and coffee, fresh orange juice, fresh bread, and all the usual continental bits. The 'breakfast man' was particularly attentive. Not an ant or cockroach in sight!! The location is away from the hussle and bussle of the centre but you can get a taxi there for about £3 so not a big deal. I would definately go back to this hotel and could recommend it if your on a budget or not.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The sole reason that we ended up in Marrakech, in Hotel Amine, was because I fell in love with the pictures I saw of the hotel online. I think they were taken a few years ago, because the hotel isn't quite as opulent or magnificent looking as they portrayed.

However, it's not as terrible as some of the reviews would have you think, either!

The lift in the main entrance wasn't working, that is true, but there was another lift around the back that could be used if you need it. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean, there were cleaners going around all the time, and they visited the rooms every day, to make up beds, replace toilet rolls/towels, empty the bin and sweep and mop. Not many of the cleaners could speak any English, but by a kind of sign language they did their best to understand what we meant.

The rooms were perfectly acceptable, with large twin beds, wardrobe, dresser, draws and bedside tables. The toilet and bathroom were clean and tidy, and hot water was available at all times. Our room had a safe where we could store our valuables for just under £2 per day, but I did hear that not all rooms have safes, although you can leave anything important at reception in their safe, free of charge. There was a heater/air conditioning that you could put on, no extra charge.

The reception staff were always friendly, all spoke English, some a little better than others, and always said hello and goodbye when we entered or left the hotel. The porters were fabulous, apologising that they couldn't carry all the cases at once ..even though we were quite happy to carry our own! When we got to the hotel, our rep had given us a sheet of excursions that we could buy, but we found that booking them through the hotel was cheaper, saving us about £80 overall. One of our excursions was a very early start, and the hallway was very dimly lit at that time down the stairs, but apart from that one time, we found it ok.

Breakfast is served from 6am until 10am, everything is replenished as it runs out, so if something isn't there when you first get down, just wait a few minutes, and it will appear. As described in other reviews, the breakfast consists of: Bread/rolls, various types of cake, cornflakes, boiled eggs, various salad options, slices of meat which were sort of liver sausage in texture, olives (olives are EVERYWHERE in Marrakech!) what I assume was goat's cheese, pancakes with syrup (not served on Sunday), tea, coffee, hot chocolate and orange juice. If you can't find something amongst that lot to eat, then you're too fussy! The waiting staff at breakfast were marvellous, even going so far as to bring my partner up his breakfast in bed on the last day, because he fancied having a lie in!

The pool was a fair size, always spotlessly clean, although not many people were taking a dip, as it was January, and the water was freezing. A few did attempt it, but didn't stay in long. Plenty of sunbeds around the pool, and if all the lounger cushions were being used, you only had to ask one of the staff, and they'd go and find one from storage. There is an outside cafe/bar by the pool, where you can order from a limited food menu, and buy soft drinks and alcohol. The pool bar was the only place where we found a surly staff member, although he did know how to smile, because he'd turn on the grin when the hotel manager was about! The rest of the staff around the pool were all lovely. Food is available until 6pm.

There is a small 'spa' where you can get yourself a massage or hammam (all over body scrub) We didn't partake, but I think the price was somewhere around £25 for an hour or two.

The same room that serves breakfast, becomes the evening restaurant, where food is served from about 7.30 until about 10pm. It's not badly priced, but you can eat for cheaper outside of the hotel. I ate twice at the hotel, once was a burger and chips, where I had to send the burger back, because it was undercooked...they whisked it away immediately and brought it back piping hot, and the 2nd time was a lemon chicken tagine, which although plentiful in vegetables, was a bit disappointing in the chicken department, just one small drumstick hidden underneath, and stuck to the bottom of the tagine. Tasty enough though!

The hotel bar inside opens from late afternoon, and stays open until 11.30pm (this may vary in Summer months) There is a variety of bottled beers (you can't find draught beer for love nor money in Marrakech, unless someone can point you in the right direction) all the usual spirits, and wine, as well as soft drinks. Alcohol is NOT cheap in Morocco, and the bottled beers work out to about £5 a pint, wine not quite as bad at about £10 per bottle, depending on what you have. Once again the bar staff were always polite and friendly, not too much English spoke, but they could work out what you wanted. The bar entertainment that we got, was a man on the Moroccan equivalent of a guitar, and singing in Arabic .. to be honest, we were always glad when it was time for him to stop

Hotel location: It's outside of the main town, but not so far that you can't walk down to any part of it, or catch the No.1 bus almost outside the hotel on the other side of the road which takes about 10 minutes to get to the Medina, and there are always plenty of taxi cabs about, but do agree a price before you get in, or make sure they put on their meters if they are a 'small' cab, otherwise they'll rob you blind if they get a chance! You will take your life in your hands crossing any road whatsoever, the Moroccan traffic light system is very different to ours, and don't think you'll be safe on what looks like a crossing, as they take no notice of that at all, so if you have children with you, make sure they are kept close at all times.

Overall, I guess I was a bit disappointed with how I thought the hotel would look, and what it actually is, but it's very clean, the staff are lovely and helpful and we had no problems at all with anything .. and before anyone thinks we must have been tipping like mad, we weren't. We gave the first porter a 20 dirham tip when he brought the cases in, one of the restaurant staff a couple of English cigarettes which he was obviously eyeing up, and I think 10 dirhams to someone else that had done something nice. I don't think the hotel is particularly great for kids, as there is very little for them to do there, but if you're not the kind of people that stay in the hotel all day, then it's perfectly acceptable as a base.

One last thing I would like to say, is treat others the way you would like to be treated, don't flounce into the place like a big 'I am'. If you treat the staff with courtesy and respect, you'll get it back in spades.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

There was no welcome of any kind or any form of greeting on the reception desk. However, no porter was asked to take our bags to our room. As we went to the lift we found that it was not working (for our 7 day stay the lift was not working) and the lights in the stairs were fused and it was pitch dark. Therefore, we could not read the door numbers and it took us a long time to find our room as we were carrying our suitcases. The room was a twin room, it was shabby, there was no glasses, no water, no bin and the heater was not working.

My partner’s blood sugar dropped, I asked help from the receptionist but he was not willing to help, all he did was shrug his shoulders and said the restaurant is closed and that he cannot help me. I went out the hotel and spoke to the security guard who advised me to go to the petrol station and no one helped me.

During the whole seven day period, our stay at the hotel, we found that not once there was no communication between us (the paying guests) and them whose job it is to serve us. I believe that the total experience staying in Morocco was tarnished by the staff especially this person who is at reception. The person was miserable, disrespectful, rude and arrogant and as far as we could see he was the wrong person for this job.

I cannot understand a hotel this big don’t have an English speaking person as the majority of the guests are English.

When I actually made the booking on the internet, the hotel came up as 4 stars, that is how it was advertised but I found out that the hotel was only 2 stars when I got there and the rep also admitted to this. Had I known this that the hotel was 2 stars I would have never booked it. During our stay, our room had not been hovered, bed linen had not been changed, no shampoo/soap. The standard of the room was just horrendous.

Anybody who is planning to go to Morroco, please do not go to this hotel as this will ruin your stay in Marrakech. The hotel is cheap but they should be honest with the ratings/stars and should not lie to get their customers.
Every time we complained they said to us that they are modernising the hotel and the hotel would be closed for three months but found that there was customers still arriving at the hotel presumably their still advertising for business which they shouldn’t be if they are going to be modernising it and then using that lame excuse when someone complains.

Room Tip: Only good thing was having the room faced towards the swimming pool!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Just come back from Hotel Amine where my wife and I stayed for a week. The room was clean and adequate with a nice balcony view. Breakfast choice was OK but I would not recommend evening meals there. Staff were helpful and polite. It's a 45 minute walk from the centre of town; we regularly walked in and back, but the air pollution from thousands of mopeds didn't do my throat and sinuses a lot of good. We did a couple of day trips with a reiiable and honest taxi driver stationed at hotel Amine - ask the security staff for the driver nicknamed "Couscous". We preferred staying out of the old town because we found it fascinating but exhausting.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sandy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have just come back from a city break in Marrakech. I was there about 40 years ago. I enjoy exploring away from the tourist routes. The road infrastructure is fine and there are some nice hotels. However, the Hotel Amine although clean and tidy is looking very tired and could do with some modernising. The staff were pleasant enough but the buffet breakfast and evening meal were very mediocre. It was classed as a 4* but I would only give it 2.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Amine? Share your experiences!