“A quite and empty restaurant with quality akin to the main square” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Tazi

You added Grand Hotel Tazi to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Tazi
Avenue El Mouahidines / Bab Agnaou, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #457 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A quite and empty restaurant with quality akin to the main square”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my wife visited this restaurant for a tanjia as our guide took us here specifically for that Moroccan speciality. However, we wished we researched the tanjia more and found a place ourselves.

We chose the 180 dirham deal which was a three course meal which included the tanjia. The starter of cold mezze of vegetables was nothing special and akin to the food served in the square. The course that did stand out was the pastilla, which was the tastiest we had eaten while in Marrakesh but nothing to shout about. The beef tanjia was tasty, but the cut of meat was poor given the price paid, but at least we got to sample the specialty. The dessert was just fruit, which was a let down as I though it would have been Moroccan patisseries.

The service was polite, unobtrusive, efficient and friendly, but with the restaurant being completely empty the atmosphere was non existent, but they did try to cut the silence with a live musician.

I would not visit this place again if I was in Marrakesh as the food was mediocre and I guess the guide was on the take to recommend the place. All in all, avoid, as you might as well eat in the square for a quarter of the price paid.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We never been to such terrible restaurant EVER in the world.
Our tour guide brought us there, of course because he will get commission from them.
We wanted to order just one set menu to share because we were not so hungry (BTW it cost about 25euro per person) which is very expensive for Marrakech.
Manager declined our order and said we MUST order 2 menu.

In the end we said YES, he brought us food, that is good for one person only.
There are no 2 SET menu for 2 person. complete RIPPED OFF, we tried to complain but get nothing.
The owner dont even bother to talk to us. We try to talk to him but he just ignored us.
Food was BAD, its the same with 50 dirham food that you can get from the square/SOUKS.

The manager behavior was so disgusting- his name is Abdullah.
DO NOT EVER ENTER THIS PLACE, you will be only disappointed.
We dont mind paying a lot for good food.
But this place is JUST a TOURIST TRAP.

We should trust our feeling to get out from that Restaurant from the moment Abdullah forced us to buy 2 MENU Meals.

I hope our left over meals will not be served to another guest!

NEVER EVER EVER GO THERE!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brierfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

A complete rip off. Food was appalling. They are moneygrabber. The behaviour of the manager is like a pick pocketer. We lost our appetite for Moroccan food after visiting this place only to be restored when we had a meal in Agadir in a restaurant Le Vendome. I will advise everyone to stay away from this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Unless it's the last place on earth to get food.

Our tour guide let us here and the place was dark and somewhat dirty, the bathroom was filthy.

The Moroccan soup was good but it's usually good at any restaurant, it has got to be since it's their own traditional soup. We couldn't get over the cold pastillas, the waiter asked why we didn't eat them so we told him that they were cold inside still (frozen pastillas no doubt) so he brought us two more pastillas saying that he made a mistake of bringing us the wrong pastillas; but the second ones were warm outside and still cold inside:-( This place discouraged us and spoiled our appetite.
They are located at a busy touristy street so perhaps their clients come once but never a second time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Ended up here with our guide

We ordered a set meal for 180 dirham each first course of soup was lovely

Second Course of pastilla was cold in the middle sent it back got another which was also just as cold in the middle so we left in

Main course was ok but put off by pastilla

Fruit was ok

Then they said the bill instead of being 180 time two ie 360 was 450 including tip, I said we decide tip but no joy so was a wimp paid up and left . Will never be back. If you want a decent tourist place try the Riad Omar.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Marrakech, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I think that the name GRAND is a bit over the top, maybe 25 years ago it was Grand but it is now a bit run-down, it is really a place that Moroccans stay when visiting Marrakech.
If you are looking for a nice place to stay I would recommend looking around for a cheapish Riad, saying that, if you are in Djemma al Fna (the main square) and want a relaxing cold beer then you could do worse as its only a short walk down to the end of Prince St.
I haven't eaten here because I have heard horror stories but the beer is bottled and cold, which is rare but not impossible to find elsewhere inside the medina.
A good place to unwind with friends after exploring the souks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

as usual when in marrakech I retreat to Tazi when I want a cold beer,this time I had a friend with me and we drank 3 small beers each at 25dh a pop,150dh,nez på?give the guy 200dh wait 15 mins,(the guy hides and hopes we will go away)when he finally reapears and finds out that Im not leaving without my change he comes over and gives me 40dh,I challenge him and suddenly he doesent speak English,I was going to give him 10 dh tip anyway but I hate getting ripped off no matter how small the amount,I switched to french and was amazed to find that he had suddenly been struck dumb,Thank you Lord,a Moroccan guy came over and asked what the problem was and whenI explained he went apeshit with this waiter,my Arabic is not so hot but I got the gist of it and understood the sentence SHAME ON YOU and more about bringing shame on Morocco,I write this because I am in Morocco 3-4 times a year,ergo I am in Tazi maybe 2-3 times each trip (ok so I like cold beer) I know that my reviews are read a lot in Morocco so hopefully the managers of Tazi read this and have a word with their staff,after all every bad review reflects upon the hotel,like I say it was a small amount and I could describe the guy,or better yet I could write his name as I happen to know it,but thats not the purpose of this review.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hotel Tazi? Share your experiences!