“Great for a beer while inside the medina.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Tazi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Grand Hotel Tazi
Avenue El Mouahidines / Bab Agnaou, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #448 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Marrakech, Morocco
“Great for a beer while inside the medina.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I think that the name GRAND is a bit over the top, maybe 25 years ago it was Grand but it is now a bit run-down, it is really a place that Moroccans stay when visiting Marrakech.
If you are looking for a nice place to stay I would recommend looking around for a cheapish Riad, saying that, if you are in Djemma al Fna (the main square) and want a relaxing cold beer then you could do worse as its only a short walk down to the end of Prince St.
I haven't eaten here because I have heard horror stories but the beer is bottled and cold, which is rare but not impossible to find elsewhere inside the medina.
A good place to unwind with friends after exploring the souks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

as usual when in marrakech I retreat to Tazi when I want a cold beer,this time I had a friend with me and we drank 3 small beers each at 25dh a pop,150dh,nez på?give the guy 200dh wait 15 mins,(the guy hides and hopes we will go away)when he finally reapears and finds out that Im not leaving without my change he comes over and gives me 40dh,I challenge him and suddenly he doesent speak English,I was going to give him 10 dh tip anyway but I hate getting ripped off no matter how small the amount,I switched to french and was amazed to find that he had suddenly been struck dumb,Thank you Lord,a Moroccan guy came over and asked what the problem was and whenI explained he went apeshit with this waiter,my Arabic is not so hot but I got the gist of it and understood the sentence SHAME ON YOU and more about bringing shame on Morocco,I write this because I am in Morocco 3-4 times a year,ergo I am in Tazi maybe 2-3 times each trip (ok so I like cold beer) I know that my reviews are read a lot in Morocco so hopefully the managers of Tazi read this and have a word with their staff,after all every bad review reflects upon the hotel,like I say it was a small amount and I could describe the guy,or better yet I could write his name as I happen to know it,but thats not the purpose of this review.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A couple of our guide books mentioned that this was a relaxing place to get a drink near the main square so we made a visit on our second day in town. The service was the fastest and friendliest of any of the places that we went to that served alcohol in Marrakech. In fact, after our first visit we decided we didn't need to try anywhere else. When we returned the next day in the early evening after a long day in the sun, they not only remembered us, but also remembered the order of each member of our party.

There are couches and tables set up in the lobby where we sat on each visit. They bring olives and some salty popcorn to you with your drinks, and refill them the second you finish a plate. In the actual bar area there are tables and chairs and a TV usually tuned to a soccer/football match. The bathrooms are very big and, while not the cleanest in the world, they have plenty of tissue, soap, and water, and everything functions properly.

We came back yet again on the next day just to get a break from the sun and some water. The staff greeted us again with handshakes and pats on the back. It isn't the most luxurious place in town - and I doubt I would stay at the hotel unless on a tight budget - but the location, drink selection, and service were a welcome and relaxing break from the frenzy of the souks and the Jemaa el-Fnaa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

After drinking in a few bars in Marrakech (where the overall feeling is that they do not want you to really drink) it was pleasant to find Tazi where two beer drinkers could order 4 beers at a time. My friend, the wine drinker, was able to get half bottles of wine and my husband, the water drinker, had plenty of water and coke. The waiters were so incredibly friendly, we never really had to wait for more than a few minutes for a new beer. There was always a full plate of olives and popcorn in front of us - tapas! We returned a second time and they remembered us and our particular orders. The third day we stopped in mainly just for a break from the sun and to get a water (maybe a few beers were drunk). They welcomed us like family, gave us all gifts of drinks (water, coke, or beer, depending). When we left our waiter threw a pile of rose petals on us as a greeting/thank you? I am not quite sure but it was really sweet and we were so happy to have had spent time in their lobby with the interesting and diverse crowd with their professional and friendly waiters. I do not think that I would stay in the hotel, however, the lobby was just perfect for my crew and I.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Want beer? Enjoy a 'mixed' crowd? They have both here, it is easy to find and it is not too expensive. Interesting interior though no idea what the hotel is like. On arrival, we were told there is a "quiet" room and a "not quiet" room. We tried both and were surprisingly similar. A cat wandered in as well. If that's your thing. And we saw the only drunk person of our week-long stay in Morocco. And they serve beer as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunstable
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After a few dry days in Marrakech I just fancied a beer so popped into the Tazi to give it a try. Very interesting building inside and has an old world charm to it. The waiters were very keen to replenish your drinks (as presumably they do not get much custom from the locals!). Bar on ground floor and also extensive rooftoop bar on second floor. First floor consists of rooms.

You feel you are doing something you should not be doing by drinking in an Islamic country but that is part of the intrigue in doing it. This is not meaning to disrespect their religious views but the Tazi has chosen to cater for the desires of non Muslims.

Beers are 30 dirham for a 240 ml bottle (that is about £2.40 for 2/5th of a pint 'in English' or £5.70 a pint) and they give you unending free supplies of popcorn and olives. Glass was a bit grubby but no problem, just drunk from the bottle instead.

Overall, certainly worth popping in for a swift one and to soak up the unusual atmosphere as part of your tour of Marrakech.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Probably the cheapest beer in the medina... We onl went for evening beers rather than staing there. It felt like a waiting waiting room in a colonial train station. A very varied an transient crowd, but not an atmosphere given to easy conversation Ach well, it is was interesting!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Tazi? Share your experiences!