“Brothel Grand Hotel Tazi” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Tazi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Grand Hotel Tazi
Avenue El Mouahidines / Bab Agnaou, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #448 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Surrey, UK
“Brothel Grand Hotel Tazi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would like to appologise for the great review I gave the hotel/brothel back in May. I have just returned from the holiday from hell at the brothel known as Grand Hotel Tazi. I cannot understand how a hotel can change in the space of 4/5 months. If you are looking for drugs/prostitutes MALE OR FEMALE then this is the place to go.. I had no sleep for 3 nights as the prostitutes work from the rooms all night, the rooms at the far end of the corridor where i stayed in May were now occcupied by the local POLICE !! the waiters who new me from before, either didnt give me my change or charged me more than before, everytime i tried to go to the bar myself i was cut off by the waiters who snatched my money. the maid didnt clean the room, but she had time to watch tv in my friends room and leave the door wide open when she left (ASSUMING IT WAS THE MAID AND NOT USED FOR PROSTITUTION). which he found on his return from a day trip. The last night I confronted the security guard a prostitute and her client at 03.00am outside my door. I was basically dismissed and informed by the prostitute it was the cats making all the noise, Silly me their cats can slam doors and talk, well I never!! Wont be going there again.....the cats are noisy..

Room Tip: Good room would be in another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Tazi three times, most recently with my dad in June for four nights. The location of the hotel is excellent - you can walk to all the main tourist attractions. The hotel itself is slightly aged, however I would say that this adds to the charm of it. The rooms are massive and are decorated in an original style. They are clean, and both the air con and TV worked. The staff speak excellent English and are always willing to help.

The pool area looks slightly run down, but if you can get over this it is a great place to sunbath and virtually empty most of the time. The pool is clean and you can be served drinks and food there if you request.

The lobby is a good place to hang out and have a cold beer or a glass of wine - small plates of popcorn and olives are served with your drinks which is a nice touch.

The only real downside to the Tazi is the food - the menu at the restaurant is limited and overpriced for the quality. Breakfast is also poor. However, the Tazi is such good value that this is not a problem - there are plenty of other places to eat nearby and I wouldn't let this put you off, afterall, it's nicer not to eat in your hotel every night anyway!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in a central location on a budget.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were travelling to Morocco to trek the Atlas Mountains up to Toubkal for charity, so this hotel was booked for us via the charity.

We were a little worried about some of the reviews but as we were only staying here involuntarily for one night, we decided to go along with it.

Grand Hotel Tazi is perfectly located within the Medina (old city) of Marrakech with a 2minute walk to the Djemaa el Fna and souqs. Upon arrival, you are greeting in a huge lobby filled with mosaic and it is clean, airy and cool compared to the 45+ degrees centigrade heat outside! The rooms are big, we had 3 or 2 bed rooms, each is a different size and shape with varying degrees of bathroom sizes and shapes! Hot water is plentiful, and the bathrooms although clean, were of different standards. Decor is a bit faded and could do with a touch up in many places - some bathrooms and rooms were modern, others mosaic and others very traditional. Some showers didn't work, others were fantastic but you could move room if yours didn't work as well as it should with no problem. Beds were clean and comfortable, floors were clean, and flat screen tv's included (although we didn't see what channels they had).

It is far away enough from the Mosque that your sleep will not be disturbed by the call to prayer yet close enough to see it up close.

Another pro? It has a clean, spacious outside pool with plenty of loungers. No shade here though, and it is incredibly hot during the day. The pool water is hot and clean and chlorinated.

Due to the handiness of the hotel, we booked two extra nights here, voluntarily and because we were impressed. The manager of the hotel speaks fantastic english and let us store our camping/ trekking bags for a week at the hotel for 20 dirham each as long as we booked our last night of travel back at the hotel, which we did. Rooms were cheap (although you may find them cheaper elsewhere, Tazi has the benefit of being close to the square AND it serves reasonably priced beer, another hard to find commodity in Marrakech!)

The food - our meals the first night/ next morning were included from the charity. The food was good, salad, tagine and fruit to finish, and the restaurant is beautifully decorated and the staff are very good at keeping beggars etc away from the restaurant so you will not be pestered. People were eating in here every night and if you stay there the manager will give you a good price on food. Breakfast was bread, croissants, coffee and mint tea, again standard and of a nice quality.

I would recommend Tazi for backpackers for sure - it's a great place to see the sights and sounds of Marrakech's famous Djemaa el Fna without breaking the bank. The added bonus of a full diving pool as opposed to the splash pools of many riads make this a great choice to escape the heat of the day. Free wifi in the hotel lobby is accessible for most needs (although Skype was iffy at times). The roof terrace is a fantastic place to enjoy a drink in the warmth of the night and watch the hustle and bustle of the crazy souqs and square below.

As for Marrakech itself, we spent three days here in all during the two week trip, which is more than enough for you to get lost at the souqs at night and hone your haggling skills.

Room Tip: Rooms near the stairs can take advantage of the lobby wifi from the comfort of their rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hornsea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Visited the place twice as I read a review mentioning it in a guide book, we did not stay here we just had a few drinks in the hotel foyer, the place has the potential to be brilliant but it looks to have been run into the ground somewhat. The architecture inside the foyer is very traditional and in its day would have been beautiful, however the place is fairly dirty and needs a bit of a make-over! However, on saying that I liked the place, it had character and a view of a busy street leading to the Djama El Fna which always provides a good laugh with the characters you see going by. The drinks are cheap and to my knowledge is one of the closest places to the main square to have a cold drink, the staff were friendly and pretty efficient considering we visited during a busy time. I personally would not fancy stopping at the place as based on the foyer and the toilets downstairs I cannot imagine the rooms being upto much. However, it's worth visiting and it's a good taxi drop-off/pick-up point for those coming from out of the city centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The owner sucks - we arrived and he was in a bar brawl. He then tried to double the room price quoted by another employee. We challeneged it and he only relented when we said the employee standing next to him had told us the real price.

We were then offered a car park at a cost but refused because we were returning our car. The concierge took us to the car park to unload our luggage. The owner then charged us for the car park. He told us to leave the hotel if we wouldn't pay.

We were after air conditioning and a pool, which we did find.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hollande
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have heard great strory about Tagadirt Hotel. When i arrived, I was astonished. It was very expensief. The swimmingpool was dirty and the breakfeat was very bad. Bread of one day before,

The room is quit clean, but the rest was terrible. My woman was very angry about the service.

Room Tip: Do not go in the summer. It is too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews I have to admit I have never eaten here. But its a great place to stop off in the middle of a hot day for a nice cold beer or glass of wine. Or to have a nice relaxing drink on the roof terrace on a balmy evening. We always call in to this historic drinking den everytime we go to Marrakech. In January downstairs is packed with all different types of people from backpacking westerners to desert Tuaregs. And everyone chatting away to each other even if they do not understand each other. In March this year 2012 we called in every night for a couple of drinks on our way back to our hotel and the different waiters were all very cheerful and friendly and always bringing us free little nibbles. Everyone who goes to Marrakech must go at least once to the Tazi.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Tazi? Share your experiences!