“absolutely horrible!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mahomed VI, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #374 of 473 Hotels in Marrakech
“absolutely horrible!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Ive stayed here on two occassions now once mid 2012 and the other mid january 2013. My friends had booked the place who was in charge of our trip but failed to really look into the condition of this place. The reception areas and the style of the complex is beautifull but the actual rooms were dreadful. They are are filthy, doors dont lock, smelly and the batrooms are dirty and unhygenic. i would never go back to this place again and would not reccommend it either. it is in need of major refurb which ive been told by reception staff is due to happen next month. i really hope that is the case. Ive stayed at the Atlas Medina across the road and that is far better.

Room Tip: Avoid this place altogether atleast until the refurb has taken place.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is most certainly not a 5 star hotel. Its old and the rooms are pretty dirty... but... it's nice enough, the breakfast is good, and it is certainly good value for money for what we paid for it. Just don't come here expecting it to be a 5 star hotel.

It is a good 20 minute walk from the centre of Marrakech... so not ideally located for the souks but really close to the train/ bus stations.

The pool is lovely.. but FREEZING cold due to the numerous fountains keeping the water flowing.

We enjoyed our stay here so I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

i have no idea how this hotel is classified as 5 star. We spent our honeymoon here and it was horrible. The entrance and public areas of this hotel are very nice but the rooms are horrbile. To be nice they can be considered 2 star. When we arrived in our room our heater was broken, our key didnt work, the comforter was dirty, the toliet leaked water and the shower head was so clogged it shot water everywhere. We let the reception know of all our problems and nothing was ever fixed over our 4 day stay. The last day in fact we ran out of toliet paper and called 4 times over the course of 6 hours for another roll and we never recieved it..... we will never stay there again and do not reccomend it;

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Battle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Maybe I just got lucky, but my experience of the hotel was so much nicer than everyone else's. Okay, so the reception desk staff where not overly smiley, but not at all unpleasant. The porter took our bags from us, walked us to the room, while having a nice chat. When we arrived at the room he showed us round, explained how the tv etc worked, and was a great laugh. He went and we gave him a small tip. Every time I saw him again I got a smile and a nod.

Our room was excellent, shame it had 2 single beds rather than the double we would have liked, but it was not the end of the world. We simply pushed them together and carried on. Room was clean, quiet and well laid out. Relaxing pleasant place to be. Slept really well and was cleaned every time we put the hanger out requesting it to be cleaned. The lady who cleaned the block was wonderful. She did an excellent job and was very nice to chat too.

We took a taxi the first night to the main square. We ate out the first night but returned and headed to the bar. Staff again really nice and helpful. The bar reminded us of a 80s Jazz bar, but somehow it worked, and we enjoyed it.

Breakfast was great, really great. Buffet, with a self serve coffee machine. The guy looking after the breakfast area was clearly proud of his job, Constantly keeping the food stocked and presentable. Always got the door for us upon arriving and leaving if he saw us coming. We stayed a week and it did not get boring, although what was on offer did not change at all, so might after a while.

The hotel restaurant was good value with nice wine and excellent food. Staff again, really nice. Really welcoming. We did only eat here once but that was only due to the fact we ate in the new town other nights.

We had a very lazy pool day on our last day. Such a relaxing time around the pool. A member of staff wonders round in case you would like to order drinks, nice not to have to head to the bar. We ate at the pool restaurant for lunch, nothing special but very cheap and perfectly fine for the price.

We ordered room service a couple of times during our stay. Really resemble prices on this, bought to the room very quick, with a smile.

I do feel I am writing a review for a different hotel compared to the other reviews. I would say go not expecting a UK style 5 star hotel, but a Moroccan hotel, and you should be fine. Its a lovely place, clean, relaxing and pretty central.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I would have to say that I share the same opinion to that of the many people that have taken the time to review this hotel.
Definitely not 5 star as advertised a good 2 star at best. Staff were extremely rude, quality of breakfast below par. I could go on but I wont. Would just be repeating what others have said.

Check in at the hotel was absolutely shambolic - I booked via the hotels website and had with me a print out of my confirmation when i was checking in. The total priced I received on my confirmation via the hotel website differed from what I was made to pay by the receptionist - per the hotel policy of paying for accommodation at the beginning of the stay - I was a little jet lagged after flying from Bangkok so it took me a few minutes to realise what had happened. I was charged something totally different - almost US$300 more. When I alerted the front desk staff to the error I was told it was a mistake on my behalf. After a rather heated conversation with the cashier, where i showed him the confirmation i received from their website, they admitted that the error did indeed lie on their side.

I asked for my AMEX to be refunded, which they agreed to do, however due to the Moroccan banking system a letter had to be sent to American Express (of which i have a copy) for my card to be refund it has however has been three weeks since i checked out and i still have not received my refund, even after I emailing the hotels General Manager and Financial Controller to follow up.

Would be curious to see if I receive a response to my review from the hotels management.

In short for the price, there are a lot of lovely little riads in the city and had i know better would have gone down this path.....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

For the first time I refused a hotel room. This hotel's website says it is five star. Honestly, if the rooms are what you judge a hotel by it barely makes 2 stars.
On check-in after a 40 hour flight, a printed confirmation in hand, there is no record of my reservation
40 minutes later a room was assigned. It was a disgrace. Peeling paint, black silicone around the shower bath
Grey towels
Unclean
Revolting windows
Lights out
A balcony which was festooned with very friendly bird droppings
Bed linen that would have many tales to tell
The lift was filthy......the list was endless
Bags in tow, back to reception who seemed unconcerned and not surprised to see me.
An hour later a new room was assigned which was better, maybe two to three star at best
All this for a guest on his forth visit attending a Luxury travel show. Yes I know, I should have known better!
On the upside
The porters were friendly
A great laundry service
An automatic coffee machine at breakfast which made great coffee!

Room Tip: Choose the Sofitel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Never 5 star more like 3 star ,Rude staff, poor service ,rooms need major refurb would never stay again or recommend to anyone .If you do stay go for breakfast early as come 9am (runs to 10.30am) was nothing really left asked if more food was being sent out ,the answer was no then he walked off

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mansour Eddahbi - Palais des Congres? Share your experiences!