“Hotel much much better than the reviews suggest!” 4 of 5 stars

Mansour Eddahbi - Palais des Congres
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mahomed VI, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #358 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Battle, United Kingdom
“Hotel much much better than the reviews suggest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Maybe I just got lucky, but my experience of the hotel was so much nicer than everyone else's. Okay, so the reception desk staff where not overly smiley, but not at all unpleasant. The porter took our bags from us, walked us to the room, while having a nice chat. When we arrived at the room he showed us round, explained how the tv etc worked, and was a great laugh. He went and we gave him a small tip. Every time I saw him again I got a smile and a nod.

Our room was excellent, shame it had 2 single beds rather than the double we would have liked, but it was not the end of the world. We simply pushed them together and carried on. Room was clean, quiet and well laid out. Relaxing pleasant place to be. Slept really well and was cleaned every time we put the hanger out requesting it to be cleaned. The lady who cleaned the block was wonderful. She did an excellent job and was very nice to chat too.

We took a taxi the first night to the main square. We ate out the first night but returned and headed to the bar. Staff again really nice and helpful. The bar reminded us of a 80s Jazz bar, but somehow it worked, and we enjoyed it.

Breakfast was great, really great. Buffet, with a self serve coffee machine. The guy looking after the breakfast area was clearly proud of his job, Constantly keeping the food stocked and presentable. Always got the door for us upon arriving and leaving if he saw us coming. We stayed a week and it did not get boring, although what was on offer did not change at all, so might after a while.

The hotel restaurant was good value with nice wine and excellent food. Staff again, really nice. Really welcoming. We did only eat here once but that was only due to the fact we ate in the new town other nights.

We had a very lazy pool day on our last day. Such a relaxing time around the pool. A member of staff wonders round in case you would like to order drinks, nice not to have to head to the bar. We ate at the pool restaurant for lunch, nothing special but very cheap and perfectly fine for the price.

We ordered room service a couple of times during our stay. Really resemble prices on this, bought to the room very quick, with a smile.

I do feel I am writing a review for a different hotel compared to the other reviews. I would say go not expecting a UK style 5 star hotel, but a Moroccan hotel, and you should be fine. Its a lovely place, clean, relaxing and pretty central.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I would have to say that I share the same opinion to that of the many people that have taken the time to review this hotel.
Definitely not 5 star as advertised a good 2 star at best. Staff were extremely rude, quality of breakfast below par. I could go on but I wont. Would just be repeating what others have said.

Check in at the hotel was absolutely shambolic - I booked via the hotels website and had with me a print out of my confirmation when i was checking in. The total priced I received on my confirmation via the hotel website differed from what I was made to pay by the receptionist - per the hotel policy of paying for accommodation at the beginning of the stay - I was a little jet lagged after flying from Bangkok so it took me a few minutes to realise what had happened. I was charged something totally different - almost US$300 more. When I alerted the front desk staff to the error I was told it was a mistake on my behalf. After a rather heated conversation with the cashier, where i showed him the confirmation i received from their website, they admitted that the error did indeed lie on their side.

I asked for my AMEX to be refunded, which they agreed to do, however due to the Moroccan banking system a letter had to be sent to American Express (of which i have a copy) for my card to be refund it has however has been three weeks since i checked out and i still have not received my refund, even after I emailing the hotels General Manager and Financial Controller to follow up.

Would be curious to see if I receive a response to my review from the hotels management.

In short for the price, there are a lot of lovely little riads in the city and had i know better would have gone down this path.....

Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

For the first time I refused a hotel room. This hotel's website says it is five star. Honestly, if the rooms are what you judge a hotel by it barely makes 2 stars.
On check-in after a 40 hour flight, a printed confirmation in hand, there is no record of my reservation
40 minutes later a room was assigned. It was a disgrace. Peeling paint, black silicone around the shower bath
Grey towels
Unclean
Revolting windows
Lights out
A balcony which was festooned with very friendly bird droppings
Bed linen that would have many tales to tell
The lift was filthy......the list was endless
Bags in tow, back to reception who seemed unconcerned and not surprised to see me.
An hour later a new room was assigned which was better, maybe two to three star at best
All this for a guest on his forth visit attending a Luxury travel show. Yes I know, I should have known better!
On the upside
The porters were friendly
A great laundry service
An automatic coffee machine at breakfast which made great coffee!

Room Tip: Choose the Sofitel
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Never 5 star more like 3 star ,Rude staff, poor service ,rooms need major refurb would never stay again or recommend to anyone .If you do stay go for breakfast early as come 9am (runs to 10.30am) was nothing really left asked if more food was being sent out ,the answer was no then he walked off

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The worst nightclub I've ever visited. Horrible music, overpriced drinks, awful customer service and very rude & arrogant manager, puke on the toilets.
This place is Highly recommended for anyone wanting to spoil their evening.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Russell, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Really don't know where to start. Room was the worst I have ever experienced but the public areas are ok.
Room
-Security lock was missing from main room door
-External sliding door to the tiny terrace could not be locked
-Carpet was worn and dirty
-All bathroom towels were grey (supposed to be white) and looked dirty
-Shower curtain was stained and dirty
-Paint & sealing missing in bathroom (very unhygienic)
-Two beds were in the room. When I removed the bedspread on the first bed, the sheets were stained and dirty. The second wasn't much better and slept covered head to toe to be safe.
-Internet didn't work
-Needed to wear ear plugs due to some commercial equipment outside somewhere running 24/7 which sounded like a generator or something that was terrible.
-Putting AC on 15C and cool would heat the room beyond belief, ie it didn't work
-Toilet wouldn't flush properly
-Water was undrinkable and to the hotel's credit they provide a large bottle of water but it is not replaced.
-Decor couldn't be any more dated, worn and unhygienic.
-One redeeming feature was a large electronic safe that actually worked. Essential as the room couldn't be secured.
-Smelt funny
Restaurant
-Staff were nice and welcoming.
-Only ate there once as I was paranoid about getting sick. No reflection on the restaurant but from my room experience, I didn't know what was happening behind the scenes.
Public spaces
-Very well kept and looked great.
Porters
-Very willing, friendly and helpful
Room Service
-Very average but safe enough
Laundry Service
-Fast but whites items will come back grey.
Overall
I believe the properly seriously needs to invest some capital into the guest rooms so that they at least provide a clean and secure environment. I believe the hotel has potential but only after the rooms are sorted.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

...ok so here goes, my husband and I booked this as a late honeymoon deal through Groupon. On arrival the hotel looked amazing! And the porting staff were really friendly.

...however we did have a few issues with our room which we ended up having to change a record 3 times over our 7 day trip! Its clear there is a differentiation in the way that 'groupon/offer' customers are treated and how regular elitists who pay per night are treated. My husband and I came up with various theories, and felt there was clearly one classification of rooms that was on standby just for our category of customers. (Perhaps new management looking to come in an rack up a quick buck) which is why the offer was made. A whopping 4000+ rooms, one things for sure this hotel has big plans and wont stay the same forever, an immense amount of build work is still going in to this place, and our rooms are just a temporary money maker whilst they upgrade.

Credit where due, when the hotel came to know we were newly weds the room was presented nicely to us. A huge fruit basket and a small arrangement of morrocan sweets awaited us on arrival to the first room... Which my husband greatly appreciated. However within two days we discovered the toilet was loose (not seat, the actual toilet!) we phoned reception twice about it over two days, nothing happenned! Then we actualy went to the reception desk before they agreed to move us.

The 2nd room was not pleasant, and almost felt like it was a punishment for asking to be moved. The lights didnt work, neither did the fridge, and so we requested another move. The 3rd room was much better but this time no air-con, at which point we gave up asking, and just decided to wait it out.

The views are stunning, and the breakfast is delightful. It might sound odd after all of the above if we say we still enjoyed ourselves, we actually did! The rooms definitely need attention, other reviews are accurate about dated furniture, however I think the price we paid implied this, not fair ...i know however it didnt seem to bother the staff. The staff need some serious customer service training, hardly anyone on the desk can smile, and are not very helpful. The cleaning staff and porters were really lovely!

In comparison we checked in to the atlas medina and spa just over the road on an emergency the night before we left and noticed a huge difference in customer service! Their staff actualy smiled!

Overall our trip to Morocco was nice, weather lovely, just dampended by our tour operator E-dreams who failed to confirm our return flights and left us deserted out there... However you can read our review and what further action we are taking against them on a related blog about flights.

I hope this review is helpful

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Mansour Eddahbi - Palais des Congres? Share your experiences!