“A truly memorable week.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Liqama

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Liqama
You added Dar Liqama to your Saves list
Douar Abiad, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #251 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
Brisbane
“A truly memorable week.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have just returned from 5weeks in Europe and Morocco, travelling with a dear friend. Our last week was spent at Dar Liqama villa just outside Marrakesh, for a week-long cooking school. It was a truly wonderful week. The manager of the villa and teacher of the cooking classes, Rafik, quickly proved to be extremely knowledgeable about traditional Moroccan cuisine, and shared this with the group in a professional,but fun manner. He was ably helped by his chief assistant, a charming young woman,Mouna. Many recipes were demonstrated and we shared in a number of the steps. All the students enjoyed the experience and appreciated the effort put in to the final night's graduation ceremony.

Mention must be made of Rafik's beautiful wife Hind, who gave me by far the best massage I've had in years and my first experience of a Hamman bath. My skin has never been so clean!

The villa itself is traditional in design and the rooms, all with private bathroom, were more than comfortable and serviced daily. All the staff were friendly, yet unobtrusive.

What made the week so enjoyable, apart from the cooking classes and spa treatments, were the trips that we made both in Marrakesh itself and further afield to the Atlas mts. The mix of cooking, excursions and free time has been carefully thought out. It was a great balance.

I have no hesitation in recommending both the cooking course and the villa. Altogether a wonderful memory to treasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I went to Dar Liqama as part of BBC Cuisine trip. Where we will learn about the Moroccan cuisine. Dar Liqama serve the purpose of the trip and more. Mr. Rafiq, the resort manager and the chief was so helpful in all aspects. He took us (8 ladies) through cooking sessions wherein we put our hand on famous recipes as well as tops and advices in cooking as general. The team at Dar Liqama make us feel home. They attended all our needs, from shopping lists to different dishes requests. The place is very well maintained and clean. the rooms are so big with nice terrace. The weather was amazing during our stay. The Moroccan Hamam And massage service at Dar Liqama is a must as (Jamila) the masseuse is the best in town. They chief Mr. Rafiq went the extra mile to tailor a special menu for one of the ladies who has food intolerance. The team not only suggested places for tour but took us to many great places.
Definitely i recommend Dar Liqama as a second home in Marrakech

• Stayed March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I spent nearly a week at Dar Liquama and highly recommend it. The approach to the hotel leaves a bit to be desired but once you're through the gates, you won't regret it! The buildings and grounds are quite lovely - nicely furnished rooms & common parts + beautifully landscaped gardens. Probably one of the best features of the hotel are the staff - Rafik, the manager was very kind and accommodating and his lovely wife gives one of the best massages I have ever had! They were happy to arrange cars/excursions - it's about a 20 minute drive from the main city/souks. Nothing was too much trouble - they even got me a box of my favorite apricot teabags that I had not been able to find anywhere else!
This is a great place to relax - 2 pools, tennis courts and their own Hammam. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All nice that we saw!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

There are so many places to stay in Marrakesh, it feels like they are opening one new Riyad every day and you have the best and the worst. So Dar Liqama was a really fabulous pick and I cannot recommend enough this truly magical place. We have just returned from a week holiday with my wife and our three young boys and from the very minute we got off the taxi it was Wow! wow! wow! We were totally inspired by this place. Being a keen photographer I had so much fun talking great pictures of the house and grounds (?!! well you tell me...). The setting in the heart of the Palmeraie with the Atlas mountains in the background was extraordinary, the house design, the bedrooms, the giant pool, etc... there were just no fault, everything was well over our expectations. But what really made it so special for us was the staff and the cuisine. We felt this house belonged to us, the staff was amazingly kind and friendly with our kids, very efficient as well when they organised a trip in the Atlas for us, camel rides, quad bike hire etc. And the food.... this was like master chef coming to you. Our oldest child just turned 13 loves cooking and he made bread, pancakes, tagines with the help of the kindest and inventive chef. Being very fussy when it comes to holidays, I am trying hard to finish this review with a "but" and I just can't find one! A truly exceptional place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We just finished a week's cooking class at Dar Liqama. The class was wonderful and we spent the week making truly local dishes while also traveling to the Marrakech markets, Medina, the Atlas Mountains and surrounding towns, but the real surprise was the stay and the staff at Dar Liqama.

The property is a wonderful and comfortably Oasis on the outskirts of Marrakech. It is easy to get to the hustle and bustle of the shops and Medina, but at the end of the day it is great to come back to the peaceful surroundings of Dar Liqama. It is a beautiful property and the staff is very attentive to any request. Rafik is the manager of the property and his only focus is on making sure every need and detail is addressed.

We would recommend a stay to anyone traveling to Marrakech and plan to return again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Wirral UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

I recently spent a week at Dar Liqama and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The welcome on arrival was fantastic, with manager and staff lined up to greet me with a tray of special Moroccan Mint Tea and a plate of home-cooked biscuits. During my stay nothing was too much trouble. My room was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean and the overall standard of housekeeping throughout the property was exemplary. Meals during the day were eaten outside in the tended gardens overlooking one of the huge swimming pools. There was a lot to do within the villa and the grounds - swimming, jacuzzi, tennis, a games room and even an underground spa area complete with Moroccan Hammam - which I sampled, together with a massage - spa staff are on hand as required to pamper to guests! The food was genuine Moroccan, prepared by a first-class Moroccan chef, who can also teach you to cook the local specialities if you book a residential cookery week at the villa. It was tempting to just stay at the villa in the luxurious surroundings, but there is a lot to do in the nearby area and I thoroughly enjoyed trips to Marrakech and shopping in the souks in the Medina, and the gorgeous snow-capped Atlas Mountains are only a short drive away and this makes for a wonderful day-trip. The staff were attentive, the food delicious and the whole stay was delightful. As a bonus, the sun never stopped shining! This is a place I will recommend to my friends and would definitely return to.

Stayed February 2007
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2006

I booked the main villa with my familly in the last week of April 2006 through luxury destinantions and it was much better than what I expected as I rented their beautiful villa in Tuscany right before, Dar Liqama was just gorgeous and the service perfect as it is under new management. the scenery is heavenly beautiful and the villa is spelndid.

• Liked — The feeling to be home
  • Disliked — bathroom not spacious enough
  • Tips/Secrets — relax
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)