“splendid” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Mirage

and 1 more site!
You added Royal Mirage to your Saves list
Royal Mirage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de la Menara, Marrakech 40000, Morocco (Formerly Albatros Garden)   |
Ranked #357 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
St Helens, United Kingdom
“splendid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in, I would say that its a few points short of excellent but you won't be disappointed.

Arrival:
Prepare for things to start moving at a slower pace, we were directed away from the reception to some sofas and given mint tea before we checked in. It took about 20 minutes to get to our room so just expect this. This greeter and the bellboy should probably be tipped so make sure that you get some small notes when you exchange your money or buy something at the airport to make change.

Location:
The airport and the center are within walking distance (20-30 mins) and the walk to the square from the gates of the hotel requires no turns at all. Taxi's to and from the main square were about D20 in the daytime but they will try to charge you more. I found it best to tell them how much you will pay and walk off if they don't accept. They will call you back and accept. further on taxis, do not let anyone get you one including hotel staff or you will pay much more, this is especially true when returning to the airport, where you may be asked for 10 times the standard fair. Expect to pay double for an airport run as there is no job at the other end but from this hotel I would flag one down on the street myself, agree a price (maybe D50-D70 and certainly not D200). NEVER LET ANYONE GET YOU A TAXI INCLUDING HOTEL STAFF.

Grounds & Pool:
Excellent. From the moment you wake up until you lay your head down you will see staff maintaining the stunning grounds. There was never a moment where I considered this hotel less than the most well looked after building in the world. No leaves, litter or dirt anywhere at any time (eg an orange fell off a tree onto the lawns and was removed within 30 seconds). Pool always looked spotless and very little if any chlorine in the water. the music is inoffensive and does not skip however if you spend a lot of time at the pool you will notice that it does loop and is repeated daily in the same order. This is probably the only thing I would change.

Room:
Excellent. Our double room was a room with 2 double beds, very spacious and immaculate. regular and thorough room cleaning. nice balcony (try to get pool/garden view as we spoke to people who had a view of the bins at the back of the hotel). Bulb was out on the balcony, I walked to the reception to report it and it had been replaced before I got back to the room (I walked straight back and used the lift)

Staff:
Varying levels of English usually the level of spoken English corresponded with their role ie bar and reception some, groundskeepers and kitchen staff none. All staff were very pleasant and (with the exception of the receptionists) very easy to deal with and they all seemed happy to have you there. Most of the bar staff seemed bored but it was quiet; the least enthusiastic of the staff although the all-in option was new for that bar and I think they were used to paying customers and the ensuing tips.

Food:
By far the best dessert counter I have ever seen. The deserts are obviously prepared fresh, a stunning array of choices each of amazing quality and taste using loads of fresh fruit. There is also a large basket of fresh fruit.
Breakfast was the same every day but variety enough for a weeks stay, they have staff there just to cook fresh omelets and pancakes in front of you.
Lunch and dinner were good, a wide range of dishes and staples which did change through the week although repetition of some items was evident. I am satisfied that all the food was hygienic and safe to eat although I did discover some lemon chicken that made a comeback the next day almost completely disguised by a thick tasty sauce. (this was not an issue, just an observation). The restaurant had an absolute abundance of staff on hand.

I was electrocuted in the restaurant and raised the issue with the staff, they put the food from the dish that I (and only I) could not touch onto my plate for me (I couldn't put the metal serving spoon into the food because the electric current was so strong that it made my arm jerk away). The restaurant was closed the next morning and breakfast was moved, I assume this was to effect repairs as the problem had gone by lunchtime.

Bars etc:
The hotel has a club, pool bar and pizzeria on site, all were closed as was one section of the hotel. the hotel had recently changed hands so this may be the reason or it may just be the off season. the all-in bar was basic but acceptable, the spirits are house brand but they are not watered down. 1 bottle of water per guest per day is included with the room but we had to ask at reception before we started receiving it daily in the room fridge.

Excursions:
We were told that the hotel's own excursion to the waterfall was not very good (and no monkeys). There is a rep that seems to be based in the foyer that offers trips too. Find him. He spoke very good English (and the only guy whose name was not Mohammed which is why I cant remember it). He offers trips to a waterfall which was stunning and worth the hours on the coach and the hike. We did see barbary apes and I got the impression that this would always be the case. The price was fair. Friends went on the Dune buggies and camel riding through him and they loved it compared to mixed reports we heard about the hotel's own versions.

Price:
We spoke to a guy who had booked the same time and duration as us at half-board, he paid double what we had paid for all-in, 2 ladies we met had the same holiday as us and had paid an extra £100 each than we had so I would say its very important that you search around before paying. I used the room phone for local calls and was charged D15 per call (about £1.10)

The weather in march was lovely, the hotel wasn't very busy so I can't comment on how it is when it's full but I imagine that it runs just as smoothly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

two days ago I issued a blistering attack on this hotel after a series of bad experiences in as many days had left me stinking mad and in need of sounding off. The moral of the tale to sleep on it! Well I have and if it is of interest to anyone out there here goes;
The hotel is well located within walking distance of the centre of this great city. It is large and has most facilities that the traveller might want. The majority of the staff try to do their job well and with a smile. Some think that they would have a good job if it was not for the residents. I think the management structures do not provide good training and motivation. The reception areas are reasonably grand as are the bars. The rooms are clean enough but very tired. The entire establishment requires refurbishment. The restaurant that we half boarders have no choice other than to use is like a school canteen. the food is extremely poor in quality, choice and very often temperature. The place may once have been 5 star and even giving scope for international variations is no longer anywhere near that standard. If your tour operator sells it as such they are being "creative". As a base for exploring fantastic Morrocco this place is OK. If it is your place for relaxation and not much else it would be a poor choice, given what else is available here. Marrakesh is a fantastic place and if you are thinking about it you should come here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Montgomery, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was sold this hotel by a uk operator as "a favourite 5star luxury hotel". Irony or dishonesty is alive and well. It may once have been grand, but now it is desperately under capitalised. The staff are appalling as is the management. The food is simply disgusting and inedible. DO NOT COME HERE. There are fabulous hotels elsewhere in Marrakesh. I have never complained before in 50 years of foreign travel. So sad

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, pleasant reception, early access to our room. Nice clean room and the chamber maids kept it that way all week.
Probably not international five star standard, but perhaps tourist five star!
Some staff very nice and friendly balanced with a few who gave the impression that guests were a nuisance.
Catering in general is mediocre to poor, staying on a half board basis, breakfast was acceptable with a nice fruit selection, bread and pastries, but one type of meat and cheese. Sausage, tomatoes, aubergines, potato croquettes, and soup, with omelettes and Moroccan pancakes freshly cooked, but on a festival weekend, the breakfast facilities were completely overwhelmed, with a fifteen minute wait for freshly cooked food and other food all gone before the end of the sitting.
Mint tea and 'coffee' was available, but expresso coffee or water is not included and is charged for.
Dinner in the evening we found to be bland and quite disappointing, each evening we went down hoping that there would be something tasty, but despite Morocco being famed for it's spice market, these kitchens did not seem to have visited them. No drink is included in the dinner package and tea, coffee, water and alcoholic beverages are all extra.

There is a strict no food or drinks to be bought into the hotel from outside policy, which is overcome by taking a rucksack with you and putting your drink etc. from outside in that, that seems to get you through security, but if they detect or see anything, you are challenged and the product confiscated. One would not mind the ban too much if the price of water etc. in the hotel was not so expensive; a 1.5l bottle of water just around the corner will cost you 6.00 Dirhams, but the hotel charges 25.00 dirhams, an excessive mark-up we think?

We would like to see a complimentary bottle of water per room per day, with tea and coffee making facilities in the room, this would go some way to alleviating the problem, something that annoyed us continuously, especially as we did not have a rucksack with us to smuggle water in!

Pool staff were very nice and conscientious, keeping the pool clean and always there with towels and a smile.

Spa was brilliant, free use of the gym and a deal on the Hamman and massages, which were amazing, with really friendly staff.

We would like to come back, but when compared to an all inclusive holiday that includes all drinks, this hotel then becomes quite expensive, we do not consider ourselves heavy drinkers, but still were faced with a large bill for all our alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. The half board or full board package then seems less attractive.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A little late in writing a review as visited the hotel September 2011 for 5 Nights.

My girlfriend and I love marrakech and believe it to be one of the best city breaks we have been on.
The hotel is basic, we had a room overlooking the pool which was fine with good air-con and cleaned on a regular basis. We were slightly unfortunate in that there was a large group of french lads playing some questionable 'hip-hop' a lot of the time.

Our only criticism is the price of drinks in the Hotel (we weren't all inclusive). As this is a Muslim country you can't exactly pop down to the local Tesco to pick up a crate. We did however make a trip to the local supermarket and get bottles of water/cans of coke for around 3p each as apposed to £3/£5 in the hotel...I'd suggest doing this.

The breakfast which was included was very basic but it supplied us with fresh omelettes every morning which was sufficient.

Before we visited the hotel we were apprehensive due to the large amounts of negative reviews but this is a budget hotel and should be thought of as that. If you want 5 star service then stay at the Sofitel for £200 a night.

I would stay here again, definitely, It is a good location for the restaurants and the centre and only a short drive from the airport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Rooms : We stayed in room 2075! The staff at reception didn't inform us that this room was just above were the entertainment was, that run from 7pm - midnight EVERYDAY! We complained and they told us to close the door. That wasn't use at all. Rooms could do with a update. Bathroom had cracks in the titles and the cracks in all the walls. Beds were ok.

Food: Same menu everyday for breakfast! They don't cover the food either , so you have a hundreds of flies around the food which is off putting. Nice restaurant around the corner from the hotel.

Location: Around 15 minutes from the airport and 25 minute walk from the markets. Loads of Taxi's outside the hotel.

Staff : Staff speak limited English and expected a tip for everything. If you didn't give them a tip, they blank you the next day. Mohammed that worked in the bar by the pool is really nice tho. He tries to speak English and always smiles . We ended up giving him all all the money we had left over on our last day.

Spa: Good. Very reasonably priced and very relaxing.

Conclusion : No way is this a 4* hotel. I have stayed in better 2* hotels when I was traveling in Italy. Staff are unhelpful. I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family and i believe you would get better value for your money else were.

Room Tip: Room away from the pool / Spa area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Langport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

my husband and I stayed at the albatros garden for three nights this october, and despite reading some negative reviews, we must say that we had no complaints whatsoever. The hotel is impressive, beautiful reception area, dining areas and swimming pools, the room that we had was somewhat dated, but all that we required. We were also on a very good deal money wise so this had to be taken into consideration ( easyjet holidays) - the staff could not have been nicer, the breakfast unbelievable choice, and dinner likewise (all buffet style) - room service was excellent. Hotel is just outside of the main area, we took taxis everywhere - the traffic is manic! Overall a wonderful experience we would go again.

Room Tip: pay a bit more - we were on the basic
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple