“good all inclusive hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Mirage

and 1 more site!
You added Royal Mirage to your Saves list
Royal Mirage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de la Menara, Marrakech 40000, Morocco (Formerly Albatros Garden)   |
Ranked #346 of 474 Hotels in Marrakech
east sussex
“good all inclusive hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I believe I stayed in a newer block of apartments after speaking to people but my friend & I could not fault our room. There were 2 double beds, fridge, sat tv, clean bathroom. There was a connecting door a small child opened it once but not a prob. our room was by the evening entertainment & it did get rather loud but it only went on til 1130pm. Food was good & plenty, I am a vege but there was choice. The drinks were very good for an all inclusive, a couple of shops on site for newspapers etc, went to the Aqua hotel one day which was fun but didn't want to come back at 3pm so stayed until it shut at 6pm & a taxi back to the hotel was £20 approx. The only negative I can say is there are not enough sunbeds & if you try & get one after 8am you may be out of luck, however, the grass is very soft. I would return to this hotel but I think I will try their sister hotel the Aqualand next as people we met there seemed to have a lot more choice of drinking venues & restaurants & definitely more evening entertainment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sittingbourne, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

September 2011. Booked via Broadway travel who rated the hotel a 5 star. No way! Expect a 3 star and you wont be disappointed. Clean hotel but lacking in finish such as broken tiles around the pool, lights not working in communal areas (as well as in the room) faded old table mats on the dinner table. Work was done around the pool but hotchpotch uneven repairs. Really loud pool music at both pools. There seemed to be a preference for rap music so no way a relaxing break. The entertainment team seemed to feel the need to try and drum up support for energetic games when most guests just wanted to relax. Food provided buffet style with adequate but not plentiful choice. Staff polite but not friendly which reflected the mood of Marrakech itself. Beware the taxi drivers who want to charge 500 dirums to get you the 2.5 kilometres to the hotel - take the number 19 bus instead for 20. Choose to walk into town if you can or it will cost a fortune in taxis who are just out to rip you off. No information given at the hotel either on a board or in your room so google map the area before you go.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or you may get one over the pool with loud music during the day and karoke in t...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I've just returned from staying here for the past 7 days with my partner. I unfortunetly scanned the reviews on here before I left and was a bit dubious as to what I had let myself in for.

When we got to reception we were suprised to hear a member of staff speaking perfect English, I was expecting to be holding a phrase book. I felt made at home straight away and a busboy came and showed us to our room.

Unfortunetly the lift closest to our room was broken for the whole of our holiday, it didn't really bother us but there were older people staying who would had benfited from it.

Our room had a green and white colour scheme, tiled floors, 2 double beds (which was an odd concept for me which became apparent in the hot nights!) Bath/shower, Beday, Balcony, Fridge, A/C and a TV.

The toilet was bland in a big echoey room, nothing much to note other than the water level of the toilet being extremely high. The bathroom had not much to note again, other than the lack of ventilation could leave your towels soaking. The beds were perfect! The balcony had a nice view over the pool. The tv was a bit of an old battered CRT that had poor reception, and no batteries in the remote... however I don't go on holiday to watch TV! I must also add I had constant trouble getting into my room, my partner could open the door instantly with the keycard however if I went up to the room on my own I spent alot of time trying to get in!

As for the hotel facilities I thought the majority were brilliant! We were all inclusive so donned our red arm band for the whole trip. I'll start with the food. There was a schedule of Breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner running from 7.00 til midnight if I remember correctly. I had gone there thinking about comments such as "wouldn't feed this to my dog" however when I looked I realised clearly this person hadn't received the Burger and Chips or Pizza that they longed for on a regular basis and hadn't taken to the more local cusine. Don't get me wrong this isn't gourmet, its an all you can eat buffet. From memory there was always a salad bar, a few meet dishes ranging from meatballs to chicken pasta dishes. A range of pastries and breads, cous cous, rice.... the list goes on! And for those who don't like half the stuff, there seemed to always be chips and at snack they served Pizzas and Burgers.

In the all inclusive package there was a drinks menu running from 10 am til midnight. You could get this from the Buffet (excluding cocktails) or the Charlot/Columbus and another bar ajoining the Charlot that I don't remember its name! There was a choice of Rum/Whiskey/Vodka/Pastis/Gin as well as a range of mixers, Red/White/Rose wine, beer and Cocktails (Daiquiri, Tom Collins, Screwdriver, Bloody Mary and a Pina Colada) The most authentic cocktails in the world but refreshing! Also you could get mint tea, aswell as teas and coffees. The Charlot and adjoining bar were nice, we felt the service in the Columbus was non existent! We were also given 1 bottle of water per person per day.

I never used the pools in this hotel, I was annoyed by the 'towel culture' I was up at 7 for an excursion and there they were, I would had loved to had seen hotel staff launching these into the pool! The pools did look nice and clean though. I spent most of my time out and used the hotel as a base. Which lead me on to excursions. They are not very well advertised and other than being invited to Pascha the reps didn't talk about them. However it is worth going to the Public Relations desk, the lady there gave us a map and highlighted all the points of interest and outlined the excursions. We went on a Camel ride which was great (very painful morning after), Chez Ali Fantasia, a great night out watching stunts performed on horses accompanied by a great meal, best cous cous I had! And the best excusion which ran only on a thursday which I would highly recommend was a trip to the Ouzoud Cascades. Here I fed wild monkeys, swam under a waterfall (why I wasn't to bothered about not using the pool) and had a great authentic meal. The hotel wasn't so great in giving out details however and as we walked away we were told that our meal wasn't included and it was true as all the people from other hotels had paid extra, also they hadn't told us we could swim so I went in, in a pair of shorts which had to be washed at 30dh which I thought was fair.

We also enjoyed use of the Spa whilst there, I had an hour long massage and my gf had a Hammam, both were enjoyed and highly recommended.

The hotel entertainment didn't seem too good, the usual resort holiday things, karaoke, quiz nights, salsa nights and a singer who sung alot of Cher and Craig David. If you're wanting an early night and your room faces the entertainment you may struggle to sleep, but hell your on holiday!

All in all we had a pleasant stay, got by on the language front, and would go back.

A few tips for Marrakech.... the roads are mad! Barter for everything we got charged 200dh for our initial taxi from the airport (around £15) for something that would had cost £5 back here so we bargained hard from then on. The hotel shops are very expensive you can get it all around town. Everybody wants money, whether giving you directions or forcing you to have a photo with them they usually take a no, but if you are going to pay keep your notes hidden! And just get out there, there is so much to see and do!

Oh and just to add, the communal toilets in the hotel everytime I went in them someone was cleaning them, very hygienic!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Hotel was very good, Swimming Pools were great, Bars were OK and there was plenty of food with lots of choices. Rooms were fairly large with 2 Double Beds, Air Conditioning, Flat Screen TV and a Fridge. The Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Going by the reviews I read before I left there must be 2 hotels in Marrakech called Albatross Gardens/Club! We were extremely surprised when we arrived as the hotel is so much better than described in some reviews so they must have been mixed up about where they stayed or the hotel has changed dramatically over the last few weeks!

The decor of the hotel is very Morrocan- . looks like the rooms in the Bahia Palace in the main reception areas. The dining room may seem a bit dated to us but I think it is the Morrocan style.

We were welcomed at reception and checked in really quickly and taken to our room by a friendly porter. Rooms were spacious, pillows a bit hard but no complaints other wise, very clean. Would recommend you take a hairdryer with you. All of the rooms seem to look out on to a pool, it is quieter facing the larger pool.

Pool area is very clean, never went in the pool as it was a bit chilly, but they have showers to cool you down, the sunbeds are set out very close to each other but you can move them or the pool guy will move them for you (and all the towels we had fitted the whole sunbed) the sunbeds were the comfiest we have ever had, (even at higher star hotels) only complaint was we couldn't get on the bar stools at the swim up bar, but other people did manage it so must have not been athletic enough, but glad we never as you needed to pay for your drinks??

The food was good, although not enough Morrocan food, never saw couscous or tagines. Every night there was chicken, beef/lamb and fish, and salad, and what I had tasted really nice no complaints from us. We went to the Morrocan themed restaurant (you can go once a week on AI) it was really nice although it is a set menu for AI guests. There were 3 nice bars and again spotless, glad we were all inclusive as drinks are expensive, but the drinks were good on all inclusive they even had a few cocktails which actually tasted nice (not like some AI we have been too).

Entertainment during the day was a bit quiet unlike some AI we have been to but it was there, it may have been that people just didn't want to join in as it was hot. Night time entertainment was good, no silly sketches from the animation team like you get in Turkey and Egypt, there was a quiz night, Morrocan night, and a woman singing, they even had Karaoke (in English and French).

Staff were excellent, very nice and helpful. Always cleaning and clearing tables, nothing sat out for long. And everywhere was spotless considering the amount of guests staying there.

Trips are a bit expensive but we had been before so just walked to the Medina and the train station (the ice cream is gorgeous), but Taxis were cheap we kept being stopped and they said we would be 20 dirham but we wanted to walk for a bit. Came across a market which was so much more peaceful than the souks and sold the same goods at the same prices.

All in all an excellent stay and we will go back there rather than Turkey or Egypt now as the flight is not so long, we didn't pay as much as some people but even if we had would still have been happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the larger pool, quieter at night.
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Stayed at Albatros garden 8th-15th sep 11 After reading previous reviews we were'nt expecting much but we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were fine I tried hard to remember a few words of French which does help even if you get it a bit wrong!! Food was good, Room was fine all it needed was a kettle etc but they don't provide them luckily we'd taken ours and I was really glad I had as the drinks were expensive £3 half a lager,£2 large water. We were on half board would definately go AI if we went again.The second half of our week there was much busier and you had to get up at 6.30 if you wanted to bag a sun bed by the the smaller and quieter pool. Used the tourist hop on hop off bus which stops right outside hotel gates, good for seeing the city got off and went into Les Jardins Majorelle which was a lovely peaceful haven in an otherwise busy city, would have liked to have gone into more of the tourist sights but it was really hot. We did go back into the city to the main square that evening making use of our bus tickets again , had drinks on roof top bar and watched sunsetting and then ate at one of the food stalls No.14 auborgine and tomato starters followed by freshly fried fish, calamari and chips for 35 dh each and very good it was too. shopped in souke for presents to take home no hassle just haggled for what I thought was a fair price. Taxi back to hotel 50 dh included tip. Went on trip out to see Fantasia dinner and show, thought it was expensive as the meal was ok but nothing special, the horse riding display a bit drawn out. Main grumble about hotel was loud music around the pool area this went on at night time too and often until 1-2am which we could hear from our bedroom quite clearly, we should have complained but did'nt (got used to it) . overall we enjoyed our holiday at the Albatros Garden which might have been a 5* but is more like a very good 3* at the moment.

Room Tip: ask room overlooking main pool as this is quieter at night
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I would defenately agree with the poeple who liked this hotel.
If you're confused, I think I can help you, this is a great hotel it's got many bars,restaurants,gym....ext the pool is fantastic and always busy. The food is just great with so many choices. But(and it's a big BUT) if you are so posh don't bother going there coz for sure you'll find somthing to moan about,(like the balcony wasn't cleaned or the towels weren't big enough).
I honestly don't know if this hotel is 4* or 5* but what I know that it is the greatest value for money!
If you a moaner find yourself another 5* in the area and pay double or triple the price, but if you can't afford it like me and still want to enjoy a quilty stay so this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Royal Mirage? Share your experiences!