“Amazing - but you pay for every minute (well worth it)” 5 of 5 stars

La Mamounia Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Bab Jdid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #147 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Oslo, Norway
“Amazing - but you pay for every minute (well worth it)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed for four nights. And from the pick-up at the airport, to being brought directly to the check-in counter at the airport (bypassing the queue) when departing, this was an amazing experience. Lovely dates and almond milk on check-in. Courteous and friendly staff. They were understanding when we requested a different room for now other reason than that the bed was facing the wrong way in the room for my taste (strange, but true). Rooms are spacious, they were kept immaculate throughout the day. Bowl of fresh fruit every morning. Wonderful sheets and comfortable bed. Everywhere in this hotel from the rooms to the massive garden is extremely romantic. Before I left I read a review stating you should not go to this hotel with someone you do not want to fall in love with... and I totally agree. We had dinner at the Maroccan restaurant two nights and at the french one night. I preferred the Maroccan, as it had a bit more laidback feel. The pool-area is large and the staff is attentive. Breakfast amazing. The spa made me feel like a princess from 1001 nights. All in all - amazing, you pay for absolutely every second and if you go you should be willing to spend 30 euros per cocktail and 50 euros for breakfast.... but if you do, you will certainly not regret it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

807 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a wonderful four nights at the fabulous La Mamounia. La Mamounia is a beautiful hotel located just ten minutes walk from the centre of Marrakech. It's situated with close proximity to the main square but manages to find it's own tranquil space within Medina walls, a unique quality rarely found in central Marrakech. The hotel and rooms have been finished to a very high standard, with a number of restaurants and facilities available. The swimming pool was the perfect peaceful place to escape the July heat, until late afternoon when exploring the town was more appealing. The service was excellent and staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel as there were far too many tempting local options but breakfast was excellent, if pricey.

The hotel is large but despite this, the personal attention we received was second to none. Fresh fruit every afternoon brought to the room, small cakes/biscuits in the evening ... great attention to detail. However if you are looking for a small boutique hotel this may not be for you. I would recommend La Mamounia for anyone wanting a luxurious break from the hustle, bustle and heat of Marrakech!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We did not stay at this hotel but spent a good half day here on the recommendation of the concierge at our Riad.

After a trek to the Majorelle gardens on a hot, sultry day, we ended up at the doors of La Mamounia to get a drink on our way back to the Riad we were staying at in the Medina in Marrakech. At first, the liveried stewards at the door were a bit reluctant to let us in , because we (a family of four with two boys, 19, 13 years old) were all in shorts. (By the way, we discovered after being sold a package by BA that August is low season, HOT and not the time to go to Marrakech! anyway...) But we smiled and they let us in after a brief chat...

The colours and decor of the hotel may not be everyone's taste but the architecture, the workmanship and the opulence is AMAZING. I've travelled on business worldwide for more than 20 years and this is definitely one of the more delicate, caring and exquisite restorations of a traditional hotel I have ever seen.

We were led to a restaurant that was open at the time and there were only three occupied tables. The service was so good, we decided to order lunch. The service was unhurried, polite and attentive - they catered to many requests for sauces etc and, to be honest, by UK standards, it was not that expensive - for a three course meal for four with a drink each, we paid under 1500 Dirhams or about £120 - we could have easily spent that in an average Westend restaurant in London.

After lunch (which lasted about 2.5 hours!) the staff encouraged us to take a tour of the facilities. The pool was inviting and BIG - but unfortunately, we did not have our swimming gear. The highlight were the gardens - about 30 acres of lawns and beds divided by gravel pathways. It smelled lush and fresh - the beds had every herb you would ever use including rosemary, thyme and several indigenous ones. In the middle of the gardens is a shaded ice cream bar where we settled down again and had ice cream and a drink. There was a sand pit nearby where a French family was playing boules. At the far end, there were numerous fruit and vegetable shrubs and trees - fresh pomegranate, oranges, apples, aubergine, courgettes, mint, carrots....

I believe Winston Churchill loved this place and the bar is named after him here. Its all very civilised and pukka!

Having got there at lunch time, the sun was thinking of setting by the time we finally made our way out of the hotel - reluctantly - hailed a horse-drawn carriage back to the Medina, riding along a road lined with olive trees.

We could have walked - it would have been about 15 mins, but what the hell.....it was a holiday!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

A friend travel agent booked this for me.. She said Mark you'll love it. Ok book it.

Not really sure what I'd done or why I went along with it.

Arriving at Marrakech airport I was greater by one of their chauffeurs in a Damler. He was very courteous, chilled bottle of water at the ready; greatly appreciated as passport control was very busy.

On arriving at the hotel I was absolutely awestruck at its beauty, it really was a lesson in how to light a building and gardens! The guest relations manager greater me with a traditional Moroccan welcome with Almond Milk and dates, followed by a tour of the hotel. It was simply stunning.

Once I'd had chance to settle into my room I went exploring. Everything was perfect, the ambience was something to behold. Every single member of staff stopped and said hello.

Once I'd explored a bit, I settled on the Italian terrace for the best Aperol Spritz I'd ever had. The surroundings are once again sublime. The lanterns and lighting are just lovely.

Well done to all concerned, La Mamounia is a triumph. The only negative point I'd the cost of things whilst you are there. If money is no object then fine. If you're a working man such as myself, £20 for a cocktail is steep!

• Stayed August 2013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

On a family holiday to Morocco we stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, which was brilliant. The hotel is located near the hustle and bustle of the souks, but within its walls it is a tranquil and relaxing place. The service at all times was impeccable and very attentive. The rooms were on the small side, and the lack of bright lights made the place rather dark but gave the place a certain atmosphere. The beds were large and extremely comfortable. The rooms were cleaned twice a day to the highest standard, and the beds turned down with water replenished and snacks provided. The food was incredible- the Moroccan restaurant had a brilliant 'sharing salad' with an array of dishes and live traditional music, and the Italian provided exquisite food and service. Breakfast was the best! Lots and lots of choice and of the highest quality. Despite being pricey, the incredible service made it one of the best hotels and holidays ever. 100% recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is an old world, grand hotel, probably one of the best. Set in a beautiful, magical garden right in the middle of Marrakech yet quiet and relaxing. The whole hotel feels like a museum, with art deco combined with Moroccan: beautiful tiling & luxury in the indoor pool & Jacuzzi, which feels like a spa but is part of the hotel and completely empty; lovely art everywhere; art deco ceilings and details. The staff was incredible, very nice to our children and friendly all around. Yes the food and drinks are very expensive! But room service is wonderful and the quality of the food is very high. Pool is beautiful and the breakfast is right next to the pool - fantastic spread of cakes, breads, meats, Moroccan baked goods, fresh juices. One of the best breakfast buffets I've experienced. It felt like being in a fairy tale to stay here for a few nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have been putting off staying at La Mamounia for many years, instead preferring to try a variety of riads and other hotels in Marrakech. We were also concerned about some of the less positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Oh, how we hoped the less positive ones were wrong, but they aren't. I really hoped I was going to be writing a great review for one of the most expensive hotels in Marrakech. But what a waste of money - and food poisoning too!

We were certainly pleased to finally see what this famous hotel is all about - but we are left rather empty. For sure it's a very nicely decorated hotel, but not jaw-dropping. It certainly lacks any charm or charisma, and the staff looked so bored and appear to have very little to do, and can barely raise a smile. Our Katoubia deluxe room was very charming, had a sense of history,
but was very small considering the price paid. NB: few room rates include breakfast which works out at around £30 \ $40 per person. However its a pretty good buffet. Though as we both got food poisoning from it we obviously wished we'd avoided it. And despite me writing to inform the hotel we've been completely ignored.
AND, let me make it clear, we ONLY ate at La Mamounia.

We checked in for 2 nights, and if all had been great we could have stayed on for another week. But there are far nicer places to stay in Marrakech which are far more deserving of our money, so we left after our 2 nights.

There were five things that really stopped me wasting anymore money here:-

1/ On our first evening a maintenance man appeared out of nowhere to fix our TV. We
didn't know it wasn't working. And it appeared no one on reception knew what was
going on or why he was in our room. I was asked to leave a recorded message with 'customer
relations' - yet no one bothered to return my call. Finally, an hour later our TV was working, all the while we were trying to shower and get ready to go out for dinner with a stranger in the room.

2/ The clocks went back an hour 7 days ago, yet no one at La Mamounia has had the common sense to change them. And even after me pointing this out to reception, upon leaving the hotel still no one had bothered to change the clocks in our room

3/ We ordered some tea. What arrived was a luke warm pot of water with a silly little tea bag
which could not flavour a thimble full of water. We sent it back. But another luke
warm pot of water arrived. Why is it so hard for staff to not know how to make tea?
Does no one at management level teach them? And wouldn't you expect a
hotel at this level to offer real tea leaves and not a silly tea bag? Don't give guests
garbage and expect them to pay for it.

4/ In two days of being sat around the pool in over 40 degrees not once has a guest been given a bottle of water, a cool face cloth - nothing. Am I the only person to think that's really strange? We haven't even been asked if we'd like to order a drink. I am finding it really
hard to think of a single hotel I have stayed at where I've never been offered a single thing.

5/ Obviously, the fact we both got food poisoning after having breakfast stopped us wanting to eat here.

This is clearly a hotel resting on a past reputation. Now it's simply a faceless charmless building. The exterior is certainly nothing worth commenting on. The Interior is nice, very dark, but pretty forgettable. There was a strange irony in that we walked around the very lovely gardens one afternoon - and at the end of the garden is an enormous discarded
stained glass lamp which would have originally hung inside the hotel, but is now smashed - a relic from the past - the glass just left broken on the gravel path. It's been like it for months, if
not years, as can be told by nature naturally distressing it. That smashed lamp is the real La Mamounia. And clearly the owners and staff have very little interest in it.

I don't know if we were really unlucky, but the behaviour of quite a lot of guests, different nationalities, was appalling. Loud mouthed, shouting people, yelling their heads off around the pool. I suspect the hotel only had a 10% occupancy rate, though they still manage to cram 200 chairs around the pool with no privacy at all. Yet, we could here every obscenity, and the appalling way some guests spoke to the staff.

So, I am pleased to now have been to the famous La Mamounia. And I'm certainly not going to tell you to stay away. But I do suggest checking in for one night, have look around, and then spend your hard earned cash at a more deserving establishment where they are delighted to see you and make an effort to make sure you enjoy your stay. And hand-on-heart I can say we have stayed at some fabulously decorated and charming riads within the medina which far exceed anything you can expect at La Mamounia. La Mamounia simply takes your money
and gives you nothing in return.

There are moments in travel when you pick a very expensive hotel and view it as
a treat. If the hotel is good, and they ensure you have a wonderful time you may
exceed your budget, but you really wont care. Whereas La Mamounia manages to do the opposite - it gives you nothing, so you make the decision to not spend a penny more than
you have to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to La Mamounia Marrakech? Share your experiences!