My wife and I initially booked for 3 nights in May but were enjoying our time so much we stayed an extra night and spent most our time actually within the confines of this oasis knowing we had several more days to experience the sights and sounds of Marrakech.Having never been to Marrakech we booked to stay at 3 different places with La Mamounia our first stop. The check in was very civilised and easy(thankfully as we had flown from Melbourne to Paris with a connecting flight thru to Marrakech.I have repressed the memory of how many hours that was) sitting in the majestic lobby on comfortable sofa eating the most luscious dates whilst sipping on cool almond milk and then being shown to our room and given an overview of what La Mamounia had to offer.Most people would find La Mamounia expensive but you are getting a unique and amazing overall experience not just a hotel room. On that basis ,despite the cost it still represents good bang for your buck.
Our room was beautiful,the public spaces as exotic as we had hoped and the gardens stunning and varied to walk around especially in the cool of the morning and at sunset(with a prior stop for an icecream at Bar Menzeh, the little building located midpoint).The vegetable gardens at the very back which supply the hotel restaurants were good to see.
Staff were generally excellent and very attentive but getting a drink from the poolside staff was slower than it should be for a hotel of this standard.
The breakfast buffet was excellent with a great variety of breakfast staples as well as Moroccan favourites.We enjoyed a very leisurely start to each morning and didn't worry too much about lunch.
We had dinner each night at their Moroccan restaurant aptly named Le Marocain, reasoning that we hadn't travelled this far to eat French or Italian despite whatever local twists may have been added to those cuisines.We dined under the stars at Le Marocain each night and tried different dishes.The food was superb and the ambiance enhanced by the live band playing traditional Moroccan tunes.
The gym, which is housed in a large building next to the tennis courts(didn't see anyone actually playing) was well fitted out and the 2 times we went we were the only people there.
My wife and I both tried the Hamaam(a first for both of us) and whilst the treatment rooms were beautifully decorated and clean the actual treatment wasn't as traditional as we had hoped and the massage afterwards was just ok. Nevertheles i would recommend the Hammam as a good introduction (if slightly sanitised) to the experience but wouldn't do the same for the massage.Both were expensive but not more than you would expect them to be in a hotel of this standard.
Bar Churchill is visually stunning but despite the live music on offer, unfortunately wasn't busy on the nights we were there.Bar Italien was always a bit livelier but still fairly quiet and we enjoyed a cocktail or two on the terrace both pre and post dinner.
Would love to return to La Mamounia someday and that is the best recommendation you can give.Don't forget the obligatory photo with the impressively attired doormen.
- Also Known As:
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel
- La Mamounia Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mamounia, a symbol of traditional Moroccan hospitality, is located in the heart of the imperial city, nestled in a 17 acre park, 5 minutes walk from the Jemaa El Fna square, La Mamounia will remain the place for worldwide celebrities. DESCRIPTION The Moroccan legendary palace has been redesigned by an internationally acclaimed designer, Jacques Garcia, combining a true Moroccan style and ambiance with new technologies. With its luxurious decorations, fabulous gardens and its trendy 2500sq m SPA, la Mamounia guarantees the amazement of its guests. ACCOMODATION 136 rooms (30 to 45 Sq m) 71 Suites including 7 Signature suites (55 to 212 Sq m) 3 Riads each with 3 bedrooms, Moroccan salons, private swimming pool, terraces... (700 Sq m) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LHW, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your La Mamounia Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.