“Disconnect from the hustle bustle and enjoy the perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars

La Mamounia Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Bab Jdid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #160 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
MILANO
“Disconnect from the hustle bustle and enjoy the perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days in May, 2013. There are no such words to describe this fantastic property: beautiful location; very elegant public areas; spacious, comfortable and high tech room; large and full equipped bathroom; an "infinite" SPA; very good restaurants and professional and helpful staff. The Mamounia Hotel is the example that the perfect hotel exists.
It is a really dream time to visit the spa and you will leave totally refreshed! Extremely competent therapist!

Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had so looked forward to staying at the legendary La Mamounia that I spent more for a 3-night stay here than at any other 5-star hotel. It was a total waste of money as it had the least charm of any 5-star hotel I had ever stayed at anywhere in the world.
Service was terrible. My husband & I were supposed to have a transfer from the Marrakech airport to the hotel but when our flight from Casablanca was cancelled by Royal Air Morocco (the worst airline in the world, by the way) the hotel did not bother to find out what happened to us (we do not travel with cell phones.) The hotel sent a car only after we borrowed a stranger’s cell phone to call them & it took a while for reception to look up our confirmation. With the flight delay & transfer delay we missed a whole day in Marrakech & our hotel. Hurricane Sandy was making landfall at the same time in the US & we were so very worried about our home, business, friends & employees. We were terribly tired, hungry & frustrated by our travel day & worried about Hurricane Sandy, but received no word of understanding & got the stilted check-in ritual by a robotic beautiful hostess who could not speed up or deviate from her check-in script. We begged for an express check-in but to no avail. Only later we found out most guests hire a private car through the hotel for transfer from Casablanca rather than use the fickle & often delayed ½ hour RAM flight. Too bad the hotel did not advise us of that at the time of booking,
The hotel is grand but cold & lacking charm. Our room was elegant but rather small. As per another review, the master lighting console was ridiculously complicated—we never mastered it. There were no simple on-&-off switches or even normal dimmers. As a result, the room was always dim. We could NEVER get the room bright enough for comfortable reading. The television had only 2 broadcast stations in English—one was Bloomberg financial & one was an international news station. We could get updates on hurricane Sandy thankfully but nothing to take our minds off of it. This became an issue as there were relentless torrential rains for our entire stay there so we were stuck in our rooms more than normal. Every other hotel we stayed at in Morocco had more English language stations than La Mamounia & these other hotels were not as exclusive.
La Mamounia is famous for their dramatically dressed doormen. However, when we requested loaner umbrellas from them to venture out in the downpour, we were told there was no such perk. This is the first time anywhere in the world where we were not provided loaner umbrellas at a 5 star hotel! Apparently, guests come & go by private car. When we went for a walk with our hooded rain jackets & returned drenched, we were challenged as to our being guests & had to show our key while continuing to get wet. This was a little insulting because during our check-in orientation, we were advised that there was a dress code for the lobby & public areas & yet there were guests in their bathrobes in the Grand Lobby yelling across the entire length to one another in French. We asked our hostess how that could be acceptable: she said they were on their way to the spa. These guests weren’t bothered but we were simply because we came in from a walk in the rain.
We are more fitness oriented than spa oriented, but the fitness center was in a separate building on the grounds & we got drenched getting there. Working out was out-of-the-question because it was so oppressively hot in the gym. The outdoor swimming pool was gorgeous but when it finally stopped raining, I did not even consider swimming laps in it because there were dining tables along the pool &, as a woman, I would have felt too uncomfortable in a swimsuit so on display in a Muslim society with their very restrictive cultural dress taboos. NO ONE was in the water. It was very weird.
We never ate at the hotel because the restaurants were outrageously expensive. Every little thing was expensive. A simple bowl of rice from room service would have cost nearly $50 US. This was so incongruous with the overall cost of living in Marrakech. This made us feel like we were being gouged. Thank God, our breakfasts were included. I would have hated to pay for them separately.
The famous grounds of La Mamounia were a total letdown. The grounds lie in a rectangular courtyard within high walls & have groves of small trees planted on a grid & there was a culinary herb garden as well. The city garden just outside the hotel is much larger & more beautiful with many blooming roses & a variety of plantings & groupings & walks.
We totally regretted our stay at La Mamounia. I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
9 Thank 5starTravelnut
São Paulo, Brasil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

It is not cheap but it worth every penny we paid. When we arrived, we tried to pay with 5 different credit cards and no one worked. It really bothered me and we almost went to Orangers. At the end we had to pay by debit, and not credit, all 5 nights in advanced. The receptionist guy did not deal well and after, we discover that was his mistake. We phoned our banks and no one had tried to pass our credit card at the hotel and the follow days we paid restaurants, we bought (expensive) carpets and we did not have any problem. Although that the hotel is a kind of second house. The rooms, the breakfast and the swimming pool were perfect. The moroccan restaurant was the best in town. The hotel remember me Copacabana Palace. I am looking forward to go back to Marrakech because of the hotel and not because of the city. If there is a place you have to go is Mamounia. But the head of the hotel should prepared better his receptionist.

Room Tip: We stayed at the room that from the terrace we could see the medina tower. We choose because of that...
2 Thank RCM1977
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful hotel that I have ever seen!! Magic loaction, with great professionalism of the employees. The rooms are great, simply very beautiful. I recommend to everybody to lodge in this hotel. You will live a great experience in Maroc!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fabrizia C
Milton Keynes, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My guide book described La Mamounia as one of the World's greatest hotels, so I wanted to take a look.

The last time I was in Marrakech, I wanted to go in for a cocktail but I was turned away at the door and advised to reserve a table for another evening. I now know that they do not usually take reservations for the bar and, in hindsight, I realise that I was turned away because I looked a little dishevelled from my day's sightseeing.

This time, I put on a nice dress and my friend and I had no difficulty at the door. The hotel and it's environs are beautiful. We had a stroll around the stunning gardens, taking in the pool, tennis courts, terraces and even the vegetable garden. Then, we settled into a couple of comfortable chairs by the piano band in Churchill's Bar and gasped at the price of the drinks! "Ah! Only one, then!" My 'Cosmohibiscus' cocktail was pricey at 160 dh (£12.50), but it was divine - with a crystalised violet in the bottom. Very clever. The olives and salted nuts were also top quality.

The bar was sumptuously furnished and the band played smooth jazz, so the atmosphere was very relaxing. The service was impeccable and the female staff were all dressed in stunning kaftans. Every detail exuded class.

I've no doubt that this hotel is beyond the budget of most Moroccans and many visitors too, but that's the point, isn't it? It's a luxury hotel. We saw people on the terrace in shorts and bikinis but I assume they were guests. The hotel's website is very clear that there is a dress code for non-residents and that seemed fair enough.

• 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank MissHoneyBee-UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful stay in Marrakesh. And La Mamounia made this into the wonderful stay we experienced. From arrival to check out, this hotel knows how to please its guests. It is one of the best hotels we have ever been to, and my partner travels professionally to all parts of the world and is lucky enough to stay in some of the best.

At arrival, you are immediately taken to the lounge by a perfectly English speaking person, where you are welcomed with almond milk and a date, of course after receiving a lavender scented wet towel to whipe your hands. Scent is one of the pleasant experiences at the hotel. The house scent is something of ceder, woody, lovely. You get a tour around the hotel and gardens, and wow, those gardens are magnificent. And again, the smell is so good (orange blossom). The room we had was beautifully appointed, ammenties great, again with the house scent. Even the cupboards smell nice :)

Service is impeccable, even if you want your room made at night, it will not be a problem. Every day, you receive other fresh fruit in your room, a small pastry and complimentary water. As some reviewers noticed, at the gate you are asked if you stay at the hotel, but we have never found this unpleasant. Even when wearing sneakers, shorts and t-shirts, if you are a guest, you are always welcome. I think it is a good thing that they are a little strict. The hotel is so amazingly beautiful, that it would be run over by hoards of tourists if they would be more lenient. Part of the charm is that the atmosphere is serene, the lights are low, service is friendly, with an overall oriental look and feel.

The pool area is another great thing, the pool is huge, ozone cleaned so no chloride. Service again is fantastic. Last thing I will mention is The Spa, again beautifully appointed with great treatments. A must do when in the hotel.

Of course, you pay for it, but if you can afford it, it's worth it. I see in the reviews some exagerated statements. Breakfast is around 30 euro's (but the choice is amazing), cappucino is around six. A big plate of strawberries at the pool will do nine. The French restaurant is pricey indeed, but there are plenty options outside the hotel.

In short, La Mamounia is a class of its own on this planet, and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a DeLuxe garden room or DeLuxe city facing room on a high floor (the last is more noisy, but...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roeland v
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed at. The service is top drawer but at this this price it should be.

Lots of reviews complain about being hassled at the door, or flat out refused entry. Yes being hassled at the front entry is a a bit of a nuisance but for security and added privacy I understand and I am happy they go the extra mile to keep lookie lous out. This property is spectacular and could easily be over run with non guests if not careful. Its a wonderful respite for the hustle and bustle of Marrakech.

If you are guest you are made to feel like a KING!

One things is a bit of a problem is dinning at the hotel is very expensive. So unless money is no issue be prepared for paying for your meals. I think we paid 70.00 for breakfast for each person everyday. Lunch buffet was 100.00 per person and dinner was off the charts. A coke out of the mini bar was about 9.00. I feel ripped off when they are 3.00

My partner and I shared a sandwich by the pool with a bottle of water and a beer the price was over 50.00.

We saw people turned away at the gate some said they had dinner reservations. Not sure if this was true. One night after being asked if we were hotel guests at the gate they also wanted to see our room key at the elevator. We were told that the hotel had VIP clients that night. They would not confirm who but we did see Candice Bergen arrive at the same time we did.

The King also owns another Hotel very close by.

Also be aware that everyone seems to be dressed to the nines. Though we were never turned away for not having a jacket or tie, and might have been if we were not hotel guests. We were always made to feel welcomed.

Like so many five star hotels in Europe internet is free. The US should learn this.

Room Tip: I am not sure if any rooms are bad. We never heard the call to prayer, which at dawn can be a bumme...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple