“Beautiful Gardens & Luxurious Bar” 5 of 5 stars

La Mamounia Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Bab Jdid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #155 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
Milton Keynes, UK
“Beautiful Gardens & Luxurious Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My guide book described La Mamounia as one of the World's greatest hotels, so I wanted to take a look.

The last time I was in Marrakech, I wanted to go in for a cocktail but I was turned away at the door and advised to reserve a table for another evening. I now know that they do not usually take reservations for the bar and, in hindsight, I realise that I was turned away because I looked a little dishevelled from my day's sightseeing.

This time, I put on a nice dress and my friend and I had no difficulty at the door. The hotel and it's environs are beautiful. We had a stroll around the stunning gardens, taking in the pool, tennis courts, terraces and even the vegetable garden. Then, we settled into a couple of comfortable chairs by the piano band in Churchill's Bar and gasped at the price of the drinks! "Ah! Only one, then!" My 'Cosmohibiscus' cocktail was pricey at 160 dh (£12.50), but it was divine - with a crystalised violet in the bottom. Very clever. The olives and salted nuts were also top quality.

The bar was sumptuously furnished and the band played smooth jazz, so the atmosphere was very relaxing. The service was impeccable and the female staff were all dressed in stunning kaftans. Every detail exuded class.

I've no doubt that this hotel is beyond the budget of most Moroccans and many visitors too, but that's the point, isn't it? It's a luxury hotel. We saw people on the terrace in shorts and bikinis but I assume they were guests. The hotel's website is very clear that there is a dress code for non-residents and that seemed fair enough.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful stay in Marrakesh. And La Mamounia made this into the wonderful stay we experienced. From arrival to check out, this hotel knows how to please its guests. It is one of the best hotels we have ever been to, and my partner travels professionally to all parts of the world and is lucky enough to stay in some of the best.

At arrival, you are immediately taken to the lounge by a perfectly English speaking person, where you are welcomed with almond milk and a date, of course after receiving a lavender scented wet towel to whipe your hands. Scent is one of the pleasant experiences at the hotel. The house scent is something of ceder, woody, lovely. You get a tour around the hotel and gardens, and wow, those gardens are magnificent. And again, the smell is so good (orange blossom). The room we had was beautifully appointed, ammenties great, again with the house scent. Even the cupboards smell nice :)

Service is impeccable, even if you want your room made at night, it will not be a problem. Every day, you receive other fresh fruit in your room, a small pastry and complimentary water. As some reviewers noticed, at the gate you are asked if you stay at the hotel, but we have never found this unpleasant. Even when wearing sneakers, shorts and t-shirts, if you are a guest, you are always welcome. I think it is a good thing that they are a little strict. The hotel is so amazingly beautiful, that it would be run over by hoards of tourists if they would be more lenient. Part of the charm is that the atmosphere is serene, the lights are low, service is friendly, with an overall oriental look and feel.

The pool area is another great thing, the pool is huge, ozone cleaned so no chloride. Service again is fantastic. Last thing I will mention is The Spa, again beautifully appointed with great treatments. A must do when in the hotel.

Of course, you pay for it, but if you can afford it, it's worth it. I see in the reviews some exagerated statements. Breakfast is around 30 euro's (but the choice is amazing), cappucino is around six. A big plate of strawberries at the pool will do nine. The French restaurant is pricey indeed, but there are plenty options outside the hotel.

In short, La Mamounia is a class of its own on this planet, and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a DeLuxe garden room or DeLuxe city facing room on a high floor (the last is more noisy, but...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed at. The service is top drawer but at this this price it should be.

Lots of reviews complain about being hassled at the door, or flat out refused entry. Yes being hassled at the front entry is a a bit of a nuisance but for security and added privacy I understand and I am happy they go the extra mile to keep lookie lous out. This property is spectacular and could easily be over run with non guests if not careful. Its a wonderful respite for the hustle and bustle of Marrakech.

If you are guest you are made to feel like a KING!

One things is a bit of a problem is dinning at the hotel is very expensive. So unless money is no issue be prepared for paying for your meals. I think we paid 70.00 for breakfast for each person everyday. Lunch buffet was 100.00 per person and dinner was off the charts. A coke out of the mini bar was about 9.00. I feel ripped off when they are 3.00

My partner and I shared a sandwich by the pool with a bottle of water and a beer the price was over 50.00.

We saw people turned away at the gate some said they had dinner reservations. Not sure if this was true. One night after being asked if we were hotel guests at the gate they also wanted to see our room key at the elevator. We were told that the hotel had VIP clients that night. They would not confirm who but we did see Candice Bergen arrive at the same time we did.

The King also owns another Hotel very close by.

Also be aware that everyone seems to be dressed to the nines. Though we were never turned away for not having a jacket or tie, and might have been if we were not hotel guests. We were always made to feel welcomed.

Like so many five star hotels in Europe internet is free. The US should learn this.

Room Tip: I am not sure if any rooms are bad. We never heard the call to prayer, which at dawn can be a bumme...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch but didn't quite think the 1250 dirham cost was quite what I expected.
Two mains, glass of white wine, bottle of water and a dessert.
That's minus service, which is faultless.

My fault for not looking at the menu, and in any case - my wife paid!

Walk through the lovely gardens and into the Bouledrome for ice-cream and cake.

The pool looks wonderful, so if you need to spend a few hours away from the bustle of the souks, then look no further.

• Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Arrogant at the door, unhelpful staff at the front desk and in the spa. Extremely good waiters and very attentive floor staff though, so with very little change this has the potential to be brilliant.
Excellent gardens and pool - stunning hotel.
Tourist guide promoted this as a highlight and a top spa experience but as a non hotel guest you are NOT made welcome at all, which is perfectly OK if expectation is set up front! Disappointing to say the least.

• Stayed May 2013
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Me and my friend visited the Mamounia after reading a recommendation in a guide book, we started off with cocktails in the Winston Churchill Bar which were devine then we had a lovely dinner in the Italian Restaurant we had two courses with wine, service was fantastic
The hotel & grounds are gorgeous, not a cheap place to visit but well worth a visit

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We visited La Mamounia for the day in order to experience the pool, spa and gardens and would definitely recommend it. The setting is absolutely beautiful and very tranquil. The gardens were outstanding and were amazing to walk around. The pool area was glorious and reasonably well spaced out. We didn't spend much time in the spa so as to avoid missing the sunshine but did feel the staff to be overly-attentive which diminished the relaxing atmosphere a little. We chose to eat by the pool and it is very much an in for a penny in for a pound situation as even the water is pricey but the pool-side service was fantastic.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple