My guide book described La Mamounia as one of the World's greatest hotels, so I wanted to take a look.
The last time I was in Marrakech, I wanted to go in for a cocktail but I was turned away at the door and advised to reserve a table for another evening. I now know that they do not usually take reservations for the bar and, in hindsight, I realise that I was turned away because I looked a little dishevelled from my day's sightseeing.
This time, I put on a nice dress and my friend and I had no difficulty at the door. The hotel and it's environs are beautiful. We had a stroll around the stunning gardens, taking in the pool, tennis courts, terraces and even the vegetable garden. Then, we settled into a couple of comfortable chairs by the piano band in Churchill's Bar and gasped at the price of the drinks! "Ah! Only one, then!" My 'Cosmohibiscus' cocktail was pricey at 160 dh (£12.50), but it was divine - with a crystalised violet in the bottom. Very clever. The olives and salted nuts were also top quality.
The bar was sumptuously furnished and the band played smooth jazz, so the atmosphere was very relaxing. The service was impeccable and the female staff were all dressed in stunning kaftans. Every detail exuded class.
I've no doubt that this hotel is beyond the budget of most Moroccans and many visitors too, but that's the point, isn't it? It's a luxury hotel. We saw people on the terrace in shorts and bikinis but I assume they were guests. The hotel's website is very clear that there is a dress code for non-residents and that seemed fair enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mamounia, a symbol of traditional Moroccan hospitality, is located in the heart of the imperial city, nestled in a 17 acre park, 5 minutes walk from the Jemaa El Fna square, La Mamounia will remain the place for worldwide celebrities. DESCRIPTION The Moroccan legendary palace has been redesigned by an internationally acclaimed designer, Jacques Garcia, combining a true Moroccan style and ambiance with new technologies. With its luxurious decorations, fabulous gardens and its trendy 2500sq m SPA, la Mamounia guarantees the amazement of its guests. ACCOMODATION 136 rooms (30 to 45 Sq m) 71 Suites including 7 Signature suites (55 to 212 Sq m) 3 Riads each with 3 bedrooms, Moroccan salons, private swimming pool, terraces... (700 Sq m) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LHW, Hotels.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your La Mamounia Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia Hotel Marrakech