We saw the Mamounia recommended in our guide book as one of the Worlds great old hotels and that non guests are welcomed. We found the hotel, on the edge of the Medina ramparts behind La Koutoubia Mosque. There are flunkeys on the door but although the guide book advised long trousers and no t shirts, there were plenty of people in shorts and t shirts who had just come to look at the gardens.
The building is impressive with a library style quietness, dimly lit corridors and fountains - very colonial.
We had mint tea, water and a beer on the rear terrace which was expensive at around £17/18 but we also had olives and lots of salted almonds and enjoyed nearly 2 hours of luxurious peace pretending that we could afford to stay there.
As an oasis of peace after the madness of the rest of Marrakech it is much recommended but please have the courtesy to buy a drink.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mamounia, a symbol of traditional Moroccan hospitality, is located in the heart of the imperial city, nestled in a 17 acre park, 5 minutes walk from the Jemaa El Fna square, La Mamounia will remain the place for worldwide celebrities. DESCRIPTION The Moroccan legendary palace has been redesigned by an internationally acclaimed designer, Jacques Garcia, combining a true Moroccan style and ambiance with new technologies. With its luxurious decorations, fabulous gardens and its trendy 2500sq m SPA, la Mamounia guarantees the amazement of its guests. ACCOMODATION 136 rooms (30 to 45 Sq m) 71 Suites including 7 Signature suites (55 to 212 Sq m) 3 Riads each with 3 bedrooms, Moroccan salons, private swimming pool, terraces... (700 Sq m) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LHW, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, MrandMrsSmith, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your La Mamounia Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia Hotel Marrakech