“A wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Long Sutton, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in Marrakech in early October, and having read all about La Mamounia felt we had to go and just have a drink there, that being all we could afford!We were not disappointed - it is absolutely a magical place, stunning in every way, the staff were tip top, and following our couple of drinks in the Churchill Bar where we enjoyed our drinks accompanied by music on the piano and accompaning jazz singer, we were encouraged to walk around the beautiful garden ! Do go-its Marrakech at its finest!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

La Mamounia is, without a doubt, a supremely magical place. It is certainly worth a visit if you happen to be in Marrakech. Stop in a get a drink at the bar or walk the gardens, which are beautiful. Staying there, however, is absolutely not worth the price!

I just finished a 4-night stay at the hotel. The rooms, while very unusual and certainly Moroccan in design, are cold, dark and uncomfortable. It takes at least a Master's degree to figure out the 1980-aged panel of buttons which control the television sound and lights (PhD preferred!). Even after four nights, I was trying multiple combinations and just hoping that at some point I would get the correct combination to dim, brighten, or turn on or off the lamps.
What makes this place get a "poor" rating, however, isn't the labrynth-like dark hallways or the perfect IQ required to manage the lighting: It is the completely un-thinking staff that works there. These people are simply over-trained to the point that they are robotic and irritating!

Examples: Exiting the hotel, I accidentally walked to a gate that must be reserved for employees or something. The guard there made me walk 15 minutes back to a "proper exit" even though his gate was wide open. A few minutes later I walked past him on the outside of the building and he smiled at me. (Note to the guard: Guests that pay more than $400 a night should be allowed to exit wherever they please!) At breakfast one morning, the waiters insisted that we were not allowed to have an extra person join our table by pulling up an extra chair. (Note to the waiters: Guests that pay more than $400 a night should be allowed to eat with whomever they please, even if it means moving your chairs around the pool deck!) I had an employee snatch a plate from me at the buffet and replace it with a bowl, with the instruction "Guests must eat fruit from a bowl". (Note to man at Breakfast Buffet: Well, you all get the picture....) It's like having your obsessive kindergarten teacher there with you on an ultra-expensive, adult vacation.

I would not stay at La Mamounia again, because of the way that the staff does not even think about what makes sense, and simply acts upon what has been engrained in their training. (I wonder if they use electric-shock therapy to "improve" performance??) There are simply too many other wonderful choices in Marrakech to spend that kind of money and be treated that way! Oh - and if you do stop in for a drink, just be prepared for the bill! A drink can easily be $30 USD, and don't do anything to stretch the staff into thinking about what might actually make sense! "An extra cube of ice or a tall glass for a short drink is NOT ALLOWED, sir"!

Room Tip: Call the Front Desk if you need help with your lighting.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Tried to go here for a drink one night. I was wearing a pair of tailored white shorts with a polo shirt and shoes. They turned me away for not wearing long trousers. At the same time they let someone walk in wearing tracksuit bottoms and a tshirt! If you have a dress code at least employee people smart enough to enforce it properly. Seems like they havent really moved on since Mr C stayed there.

Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fresh from a multi million pound restoration the Hotel and gardens are delightful.
The welcome is just what you'd expect from a classic five star hotel.
We opted for cocktails in the outside gardens on a lovely warm Marrakech evening.
The lavish and vast gardens are worth exploring by day and by night.
The Martini was perfect but for the second round of drinks we opted to go inside and
listen to the piano trio playing light jazz music. The trio played well and at a volume that did not intrude on atmosphere or concentration. The hotel was not busy at all so there was an air of exclusivity and privacy. More than highly recommended for a five star stay, eating, drinking and experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Only go to La Mamounia if you are prepared for the best hotel experience of your life. It is expensive but with every penny. The rooms are beautiful, the three restaurants are all delicious food and the service is the best . The hotel was voted best hotel in The World by Conde Nast in 2011.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool it is quieter than the road
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bellevue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

My first visit to La Mamounia Hotel in Marrakech was extremely memorable on many counts, not the least of which is how off-the-charts expensive it is. Not for the faint of heart when it comes to adding to your credit card! I rate the hotel highly, but not at the top because of some issues which need to be resolved. First, let me share the really great points of this hotel:

1) It is well located to the Medina, just a 10 minute walk away.
2) The property, as others have noted, is simply magnificent. The grounds are gorgeous and one can find beauty and solitude in many places here.
3) Service is simply over-the-top. The hotel is loaded with staff offering to assist in so many ways, with no expectation of tipping (although it is nice and perfectly appropriate to do some tipping). They are warm and so very hospitable.
4) Food is wonderful. Daily breakfast buffets are generous, served pool side (weather permitting) and worth a lengthy visit. There are so many delightful choices of both healthy and not so healthy items. Everything tasted delicious. I also ate at the Italian Restaurant hotel and was fortunate that the Executive Chef Don Alfanso was "in the house" while we were there. He personally came by each table two times (!) to greet us and make sure everything was just right. We felt like royalty!
5) All of the sports/fitness facilities are exceptionally well maintained and modernized, with no cost associated (unless you pursue special treatments or classes). The equipment was first rate.

On the other hand, I feel that the hotel needs to improve in a few ways in order to get highest ranking:

1) Wifi is not strong or high speed. I travel now only with an iPad, and no PC. So ethernet hookup was not an option, and wifi was inconsistent. I lost valuable busniess productivity time because of this.
2) The bellman (at least in my case) needs to do a better and more understandable job of explaining all of the different buttons and gadgets in each room in English. If I knew French, it wouldn't have been a problem. Thus, when I thought that I had an air conditioning problem, it was only because a very simple explanation of how the system works was not provided upon the first entry into the room.
3) I did have signal problems with my TV, particularly with some music stations. It's nice to have the ability to take a hot bath in the delightful bathroom, and immerse yourself in the situation with classical music playing on the ceiling speaker (from the TV), but if the music signal isn't working, forget it.
4) The hotel is dark -- some people like how dark the rooms are and the lighting ambience. At times, I wanted more light.
5) My room was, as mentioned by others, quite small, but well appointed. At least I had a small balcony to escape to.

My initial reaction upon arriving and beginning to experience La Mamounia was "this is the best hotel I've ever stayed at". In the end, it could have been but for a few weaknesses that are easily remedied. But of course, for the value of money paid in all aspects, there isn't high value here. You pay excessively in all respects. If that isn't a concern, all in all, La Mamounia is definately worth a visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I brought my girlfriend to Morocco to celebrate her birthday. We spent the first two nights at La Mamounia, then two nights at Kasbah Tamadot and the final night at Maison MK.

My last visit to La Mamounia was in the weeks before it closed for what would be an almost three-year renovation. The result of the renovations is magical- our room was large and functional and retained the feel of before the renovation; we were down the hall from the Churchill Suite.

I am a member of Leader's Club, so I received an upgrade, welcome gift, and breakfast.

Management placed an amazing, truly amazing chocolate (birthday) cake with champagne in our room. In advance, by email, I had communicated with the concierge regarding ground transportation, activities, and to accept an olive oil delivery in advance of my arrival. No problem. I had emailed the spa manager to confirm, and then make some changes to spa treatments. No problem. Every member of the staff tried to be of assistance...

Laundry was taken and returned very quickly. Most staff used my name when greeting me. Everyone was smiling and asking if I needed anything. I did share gratuities in a generous manner; and I know that they were appreciated- it's often not how much is offered, but the offer that means much.

If you treat the staff as you would your friends; respecting the efforts that they make on your behalf, recognizing that some days are stressful.... then you will have a wonderful time at a wonderful place.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool or overlooking the mosque.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mamounia Marrakech? Share your experiences!