“out of this world gardens and cocktails” 5 of 5 stars

La Mamounia Marrakech
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Bab Jdid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #139 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
london
“out of this world gardens and cocktails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

you MUST visit this hotel when in marrakech at least once......i do it more often as the cocktails served in churchill bar are exceptional _love mojito and sage margaritas well worth every penny especially when compared to other places.....great service, most beautiful garden.... day or evening.... pleasant live music in the evenings great place to relax after buzzing and lively medina.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Greek first
Whitstable
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel, stayed at the Sofitel. But went to La Mamounia for a drink. Can I just say WOW, WOW, WOW! If you are lucky enough to go to Marrakesh go to this hotel if only for a drink. (No flip flops). It's a beautiful experience in the midst of the madness of the medina. Only thing is you may not want to leave. We Didn't.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just returned from staying 3 nights at La Mamounia. This place is wonderful. The staff at the hotel is very profesional and helpful. I've read negative reviews , but noticed that ( many times) they were written by people who didn't stay at the hotel ( should this be permtted ? ). Previously, I stayed at the "Palais Namaskar " ( see my review there ). I thought that I could compare both hotels, but you can't. They are both very diferent. Anyway, I like the fact that there is very good security at the hotel ( I see the fact that the hotel turns people away who are not guests as a positive thing). Had dinner at the Italian Restaurant . The food was excellent . Please take note that smoking is allowed in the restaurant, but the capitan moved us to another table with no problem when another guest next to us had a cigarette . There was no problem at all. We had a great dinner . The pool is great . The room was , in my opinion, beautiful. The room was made twice a day . This place is where one goes to have a fine vacation, not to save money . Food & drinks do cost more that the outside , but this is true for any fine hotel in the world. I didn't find any staff to be snobbish or unfriendly .

Room Tip: Book room 434 if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently had a 4-night stay at this legendary property, and its decor and ambiance was unique and special: a great blend of traditional Moroccan and contemporary style. Room was not big but very well appointed. Service, while good, did not measure up to similar class of top Asian hotels.

My biggest issue was with the wifi connection, which was problematic throughout my stay, working for maybe 2-3 minutes before stopping. I called for help every day, but the resolution was temporary, and one day was just told that there was a problem not just in the hotel but in the surrounding area. On the last day, another technician came to my room with a router/signal amplifier, which didn't solve the problem. After another 10 minutes, he finally decided to hook up my laptop via a cable, which finally solved the problem. He told me wifi in this hotel is always problematic, especially if lots of guests log on at the same time. I just wished they had offered to connect me via cable on day 1.

I had a 2-hr "Hamman Royale" treatment at their spa, which consisted of 1-hr of gommage with savon noir and application of body mud mask and facial mask, followed by a 1-hr relaxation massage with hot stone and scented oil. It was good but unremarkable and paled in comparison, again, to top Asian spas.

I ate at both their Italian and French restaurants, and the food was of very high quality. Service was good but not top-notch. Example: I had explained at the outset of the meal that I do not eat meat or meat products such as bouillon or consomme, the head waiter seemed to understand perfectly and instantly my requirements. At the end of the meal, when the mignardises arrived after the dessert, consisting of 3 items, I was suspicious that some may contained gelatin, which is a meat-derivative, and so I inquired about that and was told that one item did contain gelatin. Fortunately I asked, but I would have thought that they would have given us items that were vegetarian to begin with. Finally, after explaining that the one item had gelatin, I was just told what not to eat. A world-class establishment would have apologized, removed the plate and then returned with a plate consisting of entirely vegetarian items.

The check-in process took forever, with the staff making iterative trips to the front desk to photocopy our passports, etc. The friendly staff took us up to our room and launched into a rehearsed (but barely intelligible) standard speech about the hotel history and features in general, without answering my questions. Once in the room, he proceeded to explain the features, focusing on obvious ones but ignoring the most important point: how to work the light switches! We are well-traveled and used to hotel gadgets, but it took us more than an hour, wondering how the lighting is so dark and limited, before realizing the light switches (two different types) are actually dimmer and need to be held down to control the brightness. The dimmer controls are not intuitive, as the light switches are retro-chic and non consistent. Even with full brightness, the room can be dim at night.

The hotel has its own extensive gardens and potager, lovely for a stroll. However, both times we walked around the gardens, we were greeted with an unpleasant smell, as workers were applying fertilizers on the ground. Still, it was impressive.

Their Churchill bar has nice ambiance and very expensive drinks. Breakfast buffet spread (by the pool) was extensive and of good quality. No issue having hot chocolate made with soy milk.

The location is convenient, only a 10-min walk to the main square and bazaar for shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Firstly, allow me to say in all fairness that La Mamounia is a wonderful hotel, with fantastic ambience and the piano bar was excellent place to chill and relax. The decor in hotel and the setup of the gardens were all immaculate.

However, there is a big problem regarding to getting out of the hotel. The doormen initially appeared helpful in getting us a taxi, having done so, we were informed by both the taxi and the doormen that there is a flat rate of 100 dirhams ~ 10 Euros for taxis picking up passengers from the hotel, regardless of the very short distance we were going. Just for reference, taxi rates for such a distance is typically 1.5-2 Euros. The principle behind that is very disturbing. The fact that the doormen verified the taxi driver's story was disturbing, if indeed the hotel's core values should be to look out for it's customers. I have never heard of taxi drivers charging differently just because one is staying at a good hotel, not unless it is a special limo or taxi for non-regular purposes.

I hope the hotel can do something about it, or at least advice the customers more appropriately
e.g if you take a short walk away from the entrance hotel, the taxi's would have to take you at regular rates.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We didn't stay here but we did come to check it out and found it very beautiful and picturesque. Proved to be a great escape from the chaos of the Medina, we enjoyed sitting in the garden terrace and having a refreshing beer in the late afternoon. It is a little pricey about €11 for a beer but worth the retreat. We also ate at the Moroccon restaurant here one night it was good but very overpriced. Definitely this hotel is worth seeing wether you stay for a drink in the garden or not.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at La Mamounia for 4 nights in August and had a truly wonderful time. The grounds are stunning and overall, the service was very good. Although it was a bit slow in the outdoor bar - which was surprising given the hotel was fairly quiet.

The hotel is situated in a great location - only a few mins walk to the medina, but far enough away from the crowds that you can chill out and relax if you want to.

We stayed in a park suite overlooking the gardens. The room more than lived up to our expectations and was definitely worth the upgrade. We had 2 balconies, a sitting area, 2 loos a huge bedroom and bathroom. I've never seen such sunning decor - the pictures don't do it justice.

The SPA was pure luxury, I had the most relaxing massage ever!

I would definitely recommend booking on a B&B basis. Breakfast, was buffet style which offered an extensive range of delicious hot and cold food from pastries to eggs benedict and kept us full till dinner most days. The poolside service was excellent and the snacks were very tasty - especially the chicken salad which tasted wonderful due to the home grown herbs from the hotel's garden.

The pool was magnificent and a definite plus point if you are travelling in August as it's 47 degrees during the day.

In summary I would recommend this hotel if you’re looking for a luxurious break, in beautiful surroundings with all of the finery that you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mamounia Marrakech? Share your experiences!