“stunning hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
hartlepool
“stunning hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had heard La Mamounia's reputation as a must see destination. and whilst staying in Marrakech we chose to pay a visit. It really is a stylish and exclusive hotel so I an intrigued by some of the comments here. I wouldnt have dreamed of asking to be shown around, rather we were welcomed into the lobbly bar, bought our cocktails and then the waiter kindly carried our drinks to the Churchill bar . On the way he pointed out all of the architecture of the hotel and the boutiques. It was a delightful experience and he treated us very well. As we left I told the wonderful doorman that I would love to come back " You will come back , this is your home " he said with a flourish. Fabulous!! I like to think that I can appreciate and value the finer things in life, though sadly I can't really afford them. High prices are designed to keep out people like me I guess. If I was uber wealthy I wouldnt want people like me prowling around either :O) I would think thats why they charge £150 for lunch, otherwise we'd all be in there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We were here for 4 nights on a winter weekend break away from London. While the nights can be cool, it was never cold and the warm sunny days only 3 hours flight away from London make this place the perfect getaway even if you are not interested in all the sights and charms of Marrakech itself. The hotel is 10 minutes walk from the center of the Jma el Fina square - a world heritage site.The hotel is a destination unto itself and is as exquisite as the hype suggests. It oozes luxury from the moment you pass through the well-guarded gates into the cosseted grounds of the walled estate and Moorish-styled with a splash of art-deco hotel beyond. The service is impeccable. Hotel employees are obviously handpicked for their good looks as much as their ability to converse fluently in English, Arabic and French. The hotel is set in beautiful private gardens and the 40 foot walls of the ancient medina that border the hotel effectively keep the paparazzi, general busy-bodies and sightseers and tourist rif raf out while ensuring exclusivity and privacy within. The Moroccan restaurant in its own building on the hotel’s estate is beautiful with great fresh local food and service to match. The gym, also in its own separate building next to several tennis courts, is huge and better equipped than most gyms you would probably belong to back home. The hotel’s spa is by far the most beautiful and luxurious I have ever seen, and that’s saying something! It’s worth staying here just for the spa! The pool is huge and you will always find a sun bed amongst the verdant tropical greenery tucked away from the tall, slim, chain smoking bikini-clad French ladies-who-lunch, who each look like they have stepped out of French Vogue with matching perfectly styled children and husband in tow. The rooms are large, dark, comfortable and well accessorised in the luxury amenities you would expect in a hotel of this standard. Sleeping in may not be possible though as the Imams call to prayer at sunrise can be heard as loud as if the guy was standing next to you in your room. Nevertheless, staying here truly makes you feel like you are a special guest of the royal family in a Moroccan palace. However, all of this comes at a price that makes one feel somewhat uneasy about committing to a return visit in a time of belt tightening and recession. Needless to say, it is eye-wateringly expensive. How those beautiful French guests can afford it, especially after an economic downgrade in their homeland, is beyond me! Breakfast at Euro 100 per person and lunch at around Euro 130 per person excluding tip is, frankly, a shock if not expecting it - considering the monthly wage of the average hotel worker (which I suspect is several multiples of workers outside the hotel gate). Bar cocktails start at Euro 18 each. As part of a party of 10 people in 5 rooms celebrating a birthday on this trip, we asked the hotel to book a minibus to take us to a pre-arranged dinner at a restaurant in town. The price was Pounds Sterling 50 each way for a 5-minute ride or a distance we could have walked in 15 minutes! To top it all off, our final night's experience in the hotel’s fine dining French restaurant was not a happy one. We attempted to make reservations for 8.30 pm but were told we had to come at 7pm as the restaurant was fully booked – In fact, the restaurant was mostly empty until after 9 pm, and even then it was hardly full. Then the female French restaurant manager said that they could not accommodate all of us at a single table and we would be split into 2 tables of six. When we said we would go elsewhere, all of a sudden it became possible for us to all sit together. Not quite the service expected or appreciated at the prices we were paying. However, this was the only sour note of an otherwise wholly enjoyable and pampered few days. My advice – avoid the French restaurant here… the food isn’t worth the prices anyway. To sum up, I share the sentiment of many of the earlier reviewers of this hotel. It is a big luxury to stay here and the prices ensure that it will remain the exclusive domain of the privileged few. Only come here if money is not an object as the beautiful hotel and the luxurious pampering and service is a wonderful treat. Don’t complain about the hotel’s apparent “nickel and dime-ing” and outrageous and apparent unjustifiable prices if that matters to you - you have been warned! This is definitely an experience of a lifetime for most of us in an exclusive domain of the rich and famous.

Room Tip: It's all good here. Be prepared to max out your credit card and if staying in a larger room ove...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

La Mamounia is either great fun, or simply overwhelming; you just need to approach it with a sense of humour and relax into it.

The service is amazing, the food is excellent, the rooms are beautiful and absolutely sparkling clean! On the other hand, it is far too expensive, the incredible service can be overbearing if you aren't used to it, and some of the other guests are a little snooty.

If you approach it as an experience and relax into it, it is immensely fun. All your needs and cares will be taken care of. It was the first time I've been completely relaxed and forgotten the stress of normal life within a day of arriving on holiday.

Do make friends with the representative from "Guest services" who welcomes you - they are incredibly helpful.

Room Tip: Go for something facing the gardens on the 1st floor or higher.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Poulton Le Fylde
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

After a week in Marrakesh eating in some lovely restaurants, i was advised to try this hotel for amazing cocktails and food. I took my better half and tried the hotel, which i must say is beautiful. I was taken to the pool restaurant, where i paid in excess of £150.00 for a buffet meal that would not have been out of place in a four star all inclusive resort in the carribean. The meat was luke warm and peices small, the wine at approx £15 per glass was nothing but local wine availiable at most hotels at less than a third of the price, a bottle of still water will set you back a fiver and a champagne cocktail, £30 ish (thats a 125 measure by the way). Even if i were a billionaire, which I am not, I would still be outraged at the cost of this less than average meal, which consited of light salad, two peices of meat and a glass of wine each. If you must go here make sure you are very hungry and eat as much as you can.....even then i'm not sure it will be value for money!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Island of Malta, Malta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The room is sexy,with lots of wood ,rich colours,arches and soft lighting.This is a place for a sordid love affair.As you walk in there is a guest toilet,This is followed by a small changing room which for some reason is placed next to the living room.The changing room is small and is more like a big wardrobe.The Living room is rich in colour,ful of burgundies and golds.Once again the Morrocan theme continues,tiled floorings,ornate wooden doors and copper lanterns..The bedroom has the same colour scheme and the archway leading to the living room has ornate plasterwork . There is a nice balcony from the living room and bedroom overlooking the exquisite gardens of the Mamounia The bathroom is a little small and the shower is minute.For me though it does feel very strange that there is a large distancebetween the bathroom and the changing area.
What I really love in the room are the Menus,Stationary holder and guide to the facilities of the hotel.All are bound in a beautiful orange leather and look as if they have come straight from Hermes.
The one thing I dislike in the room is the dust.I think no one has slept here for a long time,the shampoos and gels are covered in dust,and if you run your finger down the surfaces,they become blackened.
The furnishings are nice,not opulent,I prefer the furnishing s of my ittle Riad on the first night.For a room of the price I paid,I feel there should be more,more ,more.
When entering the room,I get my biggest food welcome yet,a mountain of fresh fruits and cakes awaits.There is also a lovely bottle of champagne on ice…Damn,I wasn’t going to drink tonight.
I decide that after all of the gluttony I need to visit the gymnasium.On arrival I am told that it will close in 25 minutes.A little is better than nothing so I give a concerted effort and now I can have that glass of champagne.
I arrive later on in the Italian restaurant,there is a piano in the background ,the atmosphere is very romantic,it’s a shame I am here alone. I hand the champagne to the waiter,the manager tells me they will charge me 30 Euros to open the bottle.I get into rather a heated discussion of how I cannot believe I have to pay to open a gift from the hotel,pay more than the gift is worth(cheap champagne !).They relent,but the damage is done,to my humour and their reputation.Thisis a lesson in how to turn generosity into mean spirit.The meal at least takes the nasty taste from my mouth.I go to bed not feeling particularly glamourous,maybe tomorrow will give me a better Mamounia experience.
I wake up late and pack my clothes and then head off to breakfast.The buffet breakfast is served by the pool.It has a choice of many local and international dishes,the quality is good,the presentation though is poor,it reminds me of a 4 star hotel.
I then ask for a tour of the hotel.I meet Mohammed,he is very friendly and informative as he takes me around the spectacular hotel grounds.The public spaces and facilities are excellent.The base of the swimming pool is made of Murano crystal and is shimmering in the sun. At the back of the 8 hectare gardens is a small organic garden ,but I guess it is mainly for show as it is too small to serve the hotels kitchens.
The land was originally a garden and was given as a present by the sultan to his son El Mamoun.
The Hotel was built in 1923 and has been refurbished several times ,the last time was 3 years ago,about the same time my room was last cleaned I guess. There are so I am told an amazing 10,750 square metres of the same type of painted ceilings in the hotel as in the Royal Mansour.Mohammed tells me that La Mamounia has commissioned a special scent made of cedarwood and spices ,I am sorry to say all I can smell is cigars.90% of Morocco it seems smoke and this hotel has no non smoking areas.The hotel has 3 private riads with 3 bedrooms ,each costs a mere 8000 Euro a night.I ask to see them ,but I am told that ,they are empty but housekeeping has not cleaned them yet,that I can believe.I do however visit the Koutoubia suite,a very cheap 2000 euros a night!It is spacious and pretty but is on the street front and the windows are poor and you can hear a lot of street noise.It seems this is the case with all of the deluxe rooms,buyer beware.
I decide to try out the spa before I leave,you know it’s a tough job this! The spa receptionist is not very courteous but the spa itself is sumptuous and I receive the finest massage I have had for a long time.
I check out of La Mamounia and I ask myself,would I return? The answer unfortunately is No.It is grand,atmospheric and beautiful but there better places to lay your head.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Really tough to pick a place to stay at in Marrakech. First time in Africa and we were a bit out of element, not knowing what to expect. Our decision proved to be a very good one because our experience was truly wonderful. We went in Dec 2011 (first week) for 10 days...La Mamounia was our home base, we wanted to truly immerse ourselves in the culture, instead of hopping around between towns. The hotel itself is just exceptional. It is part of the Leading Hotels of the World for a reason. The service was as expected for a top hotel: attentive, consistent, white glove treatment in most cases. Dec 2011 is a bit quieter, so at times we felt we had the entire facility to ourselves, which was quite nice. No need to worry about securing a great table at dinner, great seat by the pool or great seat at the jazz club...it was great. Toward the end of our time there, the Film Festival was taking place, so it got a bit more crowded, but the service level remained the same: high quality. The room itself was just great...sunny, great balcony facing the city which we enjoyed. During the day and at night, the call to prayer could be heard throughout the city and I always enjoyed it much when we were in our balcony around 7pm, as we were getting ready for dinner...really magical. The premises themselves are spectacular: awesome orange and olive trees all over...incredibly pretty! The garden was really soothing to walk through during the day and night - we made it our daily ritual. The pool was one of my favorites, never crowded and just huge and clean. The poolside table was also very strong: great staff, accommodating and again, consistent. The restaurants were really good, particularly the Moroccan and Italian restaurants (the French restaurant experience could have been enhanced if other people were there, we were literally the only ones - we went off season- but nonetheless, it felt a bit odd). We ate at the Moroccan restaurant the first night and it was an amazing start to our culinary experience . One evening, we wanted to arrange a night of "chicha" smoking, as you would find in a hookah bar (that was not offered by the hotel) and the Head Concierge (who by the way, was EXCEPTIONAL) arranged for us to attend a nearby 5 star hotel (through one of his 5 star connections) for this evening experience. He went above and beyond in all of our requests, no matter how big or small. Lastly, I will say that at the end of the trip, the car service provided to the airport was a generous upgrade at no cost to us. That was really awesome - a great treat and we will always be very thankful!! The only thing preventing us from doing the max of 5 stars was the underwhelming experience at the spa (I won't go into details, but frankly, it was not up to par - as an award winning spa the bar must be higher...it wasn't great and I would not recommend a treatment); and I would say that we lamented the fact that we felt a bit secluded and removed from "real" Marrakech when on premises at the hotel. It's so opulent and perhaps even too modern for such a historical country. We wondered how the experience would be at a smaller mom/pop riad. Not sure we would necessarily choose a smaller riad because we enjoyed all of the amenities offered to us and truth be told, at the end of the day in this hectic yet wonderful city, it was GREAT to go to La Mamounia to replenish and get mentally/physically recharge for another day in town (let me tell you, the outdoor market is intense and can be stressful!). Should we ever go back to Marrakech, we wold undoubtedly stay in La Mamounia, and would highly recommend it if you want an urban oasis in the thick of it all...

Room Tip: Hotel decor by default is dark (which appeared to be typical across all accommodations in Marrakech...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The lobby was refurbished and lost its historical appeal. Now it is just a regular 5 star international lobby.
The good rooms are the suites and we decided to pay for an upgrade. The rest is not special, not really moroccan. The spa was usually fully booked during our stay. The restaurants are very, very expensive and not worth the prices.
Our vision is that you stay in a really expensive hotel and you d'ont get what you payed for.

Room Tip: Suites are the only interesting rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to La Mamounia Marrakech? Share your experiences!