Arriving at this hotel getting out of a taxi on the street is a bit under-whelming. Once through the gate you see the hotel entrance proper and get a feel for what the rest of the hotel will be like. Check-in was efficient with dates and milk offered while the paper work was done. The public areas are rather dark but that does not seem out of keeping with the style of the hotel which seems intended to be like an arabian place.
I was upgraded to deluxe Katoubia view room that was located near the end of one of the first floor corridors. First impressions of the room were very good. Although not particularly spacious, it had clearly been recently renovated in a style that gave it a character lacking in many hotels. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. A small verandah is equipped with a table and chairs giving a view of the Katoubia mosque. This side of the hotel only gets direct sun in the morning. The only downside of the room was the shower that is located in a small alcove near the bath. Spray from the shower will soak anything in the bathroom so keep stuff you want to stay dry in the bedroom.
Food and beverage wise, drinks ($20 for a gin and tonic, $10 for a beer) are available on the smallish outside terrace and the main bar that is located next to it. Service can sometimes be a bit slow. The restaurants all have a good choice of high quality dishes - with prices to match. Wine starts at $50 a bottle. Probably the best experience was breakfast. This is served by the pool with choice from a very extensive buffet of hot and cold dishes ($45).
The highlight of the hotel is the immaculately kept and extensive grounds including orange groves and a kitchen garden. It is possible to escape some of the noise near the pool by using the sun-loungers in one of the orange groves.
This 'grande dame' of Marrakech lives up to its reputation. As is the case with other 5 star properties, you will need fairly deep pockets but it is certainly worth experincing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Mamounia, a symbol of traditional Moroccan hospitality, is located in the heart of the imperial city, nestled in a 17 acre park, 5 minutes walk from the Jemaa El Fna square, La Mamounia will remain the place for worldwide celebrities. DESCRIPTION The Moroccan legendary palace has been redesigned by an internationally acclaimed designer, Jacques Garcia, combining a true Moroccan style and ambiance with new technologies. With its luxurious decorations, fabulous gardens and its trendy 2500sq m SPA, la Mamounia guarantees the amazement of its guests. ACCOMODATION 136 rooms (30 to 45 Sq m) 71 Suites including 7 Signature suites (55 to 212 Sq m) 3 Riads each with 3 bedrooms, Moroccan salons, private swimming pool, terraces... (700 Sq m) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Venere, MrandMrsSmith and TripOnline SA so you can book your La Mamounia Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Mamounia Marrakech Hotel Marrakech
- La Mamounia Hotel Marrakech