“Stunning hotel. Ideally located. Poor service.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa to your Saves list
Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Harroun Errachid | Quartier de l'hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #255 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Chelmsford
“Stunning hotel. Ideally located. Poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

I have always loved a Sofitel and will usually always opt to stay in one if given the choice, however this one lets the brand name down a little:

The good : The hotel is stunning. It is a gorgeous mix of moroccan culture and modern decor. It is also huge, with massive lobbies and walkways meaning you never feel cramped or on top of other holiday makers ( although be warned the pool area gets very busy and we found it near impossible most days to find a sunbathing spot.)
It is also ideally located. You are no more than a 15 minute walk away from all the local amenities, such as the Medina, cafes, shops and restaurants. ( do not feel guilty about ordering a cab though, in the Moroccan heat 15 mins can feel like hours) so in terms of aesthetics and location, top marks.

The bad: On more than one occasion we were left waiting well over an hour for menus to arrive at our table when trying to order a poolside snack, hollering down staff seemed near impossible and many holidaymakers were actually leaving the complex to get refreshments elsewhere as they were tired of waiting. When we were finally served our menus,food coming out was again very slow and the wait for the bill and change was painstaking. We found this to be the case when relaxing in the bar in the evening also. Getting served is like finding a lake of water deep in the Moroccan desert - a real rarity, nearing on impossible!
Although our rooms were cleaned and tidied daily, quiet often they would forget to replenish towels meaning we had to head down to reception and request clean towels be sent to the room. An hour later no towels. 2 hours later, no towels. The towels never appeared. Our complimentary dressing gowns also went walk about after day 1! I know this isn't the end of the world but there is no better feeling than getting out of a nice, warm shower after a hot day and into a white fluffy robe. We had this privilege once. We hAd the privilege of clean towels being left without nagging twice! Poor.

The ugly: They advertise high speed wifi. The only thing high speed about the wifi was my temper trying to access anything online! It was slower than slow and rarely worked. Incredibly frustrating to say the least. I know when abroad internet access shouldn't be all that important but lets be honest, it is 2014 and we all want to access our emails and check social media when on holiday. If you have any plans to do so at this hotel, change them!

In summary, the hotel itself if large, spacious, beautifully decorated and ideally located, and don't get me wrong the staff are very friendly and polite but the service is diabolical. Looking at other reviews many people have had the same experiences as me and nothing appears to have changed. How can this hotel warrant 5*s?!?

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for my mum’s 60th birthday and a friend’s wedding (luckily the wedding was not at this hotel).

Prior to arrival, I was liasing with the hotel to confirm my reservation and room bookings. I had to book 2 rooms as they could not accommodate 3 people in one room. Despite numerous calls from London, where the call would be disconnected, put on answermachine for more than 40minutes or being passed from one person to the next, I managed to confirm my booking and in particular an early checkin (due to our flight arrival), luxury room with pool view and balcony (which was upgraded as there was availability and due to the inconvenience with the calls) and non-smoking room (I had numerous discussions with Hanene from Guest Reservations, who actually didn’t action anything what was agreed, so wasted my time and incurred my telephone costs).

Upon arrival, I was told both rooms were not available. I was told I would be contacted within an hour, having given them more than 2 hours I went to the checkin desk and told to wait. The reason the room was not ready was the mini-bar – I don’t think it takes 3 hours to check the mini-bar, even at the slow pace they work. Normal checkin time is 3pm – it was agreed prior to my arrival to have both rooms that I booked ready for 12pm (with Hanene who disappointinly failed us). I did not get my room until 4pm – to my shock was given a disabled room with an awful, shocking smoking smell. One of my family members is an asthamatic and cannot stay in a smoking room. Also, there was no balcony as I was offered a ground floor room (not as per my room booking). I dealt with a staff member called Fatima who was rude and unhelpful. Having expressed my concerns and after another hour (5pm), I was then offered a ‘decent’ room for the 1st night, and then moved on the 2nd night to a room which was originally agreed (Marouane – Front Office Supervisor managed to sort out after all the inconveniece I was caused) – not a great start to our holiday!

The shocking bits:
Firstly, although the pool is nice what we saw was horrific. When guests leave the pool their towels remained on the sun loungers/beds. The towels are left to dry for a period of time with the pool attendees coming to check if dry, if not they are kept out. The pool attendees then come to check if dry (by patting each towel), then folded for the next guest as they remained on the sun lounger/bed. Not only disgusting and unhygienic but not what is expected from a Sofitel chain. I even had to tell some of the guests to ask for clean towels as this is what they had done and were about to use the ‘used’ towels. When questioned a pool attendee, the response I got was ‘this is what we are told to do!’ My advise if you do stay at this hotel – bring your towel from the room!

At breakfast, as lovely as the display of foods. One day, they served melon and pineapple that was gone off and I got severely ill. When I told the chef, they tried it, admitted it had a ‘funny taste and must be bad’ and removed it from the breakfast. This resulted in 3 days of me having diarrhoea and severe vomiting.
The staff would handle the pastries with their hands despite servering cutlery being available – no wander I found facial hair (eyelash) in both crossiants and pastries – basic hygiene requirements need attention. Breakfast is simple fruit and pastries – no cooked breakfast.

I was on a half board basis – warning: you need 3-4hours for dinner. It takes 30minutes to just bring a menu, another 45minutes to bring drinks. The pace at which they work is alarming, and they have no sense of time when serving – whether they want the restaurants to look busy or genuinly are sluggish I do not know. You might as well eat out, as the food standard is not of a typical Sofitel expectation.

Housekeeping – be prepared to ask for toiletries and towels as they often ‘forgot’ to replace when towels were clearly on the bathroom floor for replacing and the toilet roll had finished! A lot of chasing, and had to look for them as they didn’t come within an hour to replace.

Check your bill on checkout – despite half board basis, I was charged for meals. I requested the staff to check the bill and correct. I was told to come back in 2 hours. Again after painful 2 hours, nothing had been done by the reception desk staff at Lounge and Spa. At this time, the reception desk was closed and I had to go to the other Sofitel desk to sort out. They charged me for minibar use and restarant bills which was inaccurate – corrected after checking restaurants bills that I supposed ate when I was on a day trip and when all minibar items were accounted for – becareful they don’t cheat you and take a copy of all signed bills. The hassle to sort this out was painful and the checkout staff were extremely rude (Aberrahim) and again sluggish, they clearly have time but don’t realise you don’t! At least the duty manager (Mohammed) tried to sort it out after 2 hours.

I was so surprised at the standard of this hotel – definitely not a typical 5 star hotel. It is cosmetically nice, but when it comes to service and hygiene it wouldn’t even meet a 3 star. It was such a disappointing holiday and a hotel from hell– I would never go back or recommend anyone to stay here – you are better staying at the Hivernage Spa and Hotel which is round the corner!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good place, with excellent service and pleasent view from the room.

Luxurious big rooms with nice balcony.
I really enjoyed the tasty breakfast open boufait, with variety of delicious moroccan food.....

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Ahmed B, General Manager at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback, which is much appreciatd. We endeed have the advantage of facing the Atlas moutains and having gardens with pool. We also focus on the morning meal which is beleived to set the mood for the day.

Thank you again for your nice feed back, we hope to have the oportunity to host you again.

Kindest regards,

Ahmed Benkirane
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Lovely pool area and quite spacious rooms, some with lovely balconies overlooking the pool - worth the extra cash.
The buffet breakfast is outstanding and served on the outdoor terrace it's a lovely way to start the day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Marrakech
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I wish to express my gratitude for the pleasant night I have spent here.It was really special,The gorgeous place,the shiny lights,and not to forget the delicious drinks.The service was impeccable. That was perfectly what I needed to have fun and to enjoy my summer nights.From the bottom of my heart I would like to thank Mahmoud,Fati and Hamza from the So reception for their great job.

• Stayed August 2014
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is not my first time at the Sofitel and l must say that the few things that l complained about 2 years ago have improved which is a good thing.
The restaurant's food is excellent, the swimming pool is pretty chill out and the personnel is super friendly. Samira and her team were particularly helpful and sympathic.. Thank you for the nice stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I have visited this hotel twice now and both times have received excellent service in the SO Lounge from Hostess Rajaa and Manager Zakaria. They made the night very easy and ensured we had the best spot to sit in night after night. As soon as everyone is settled in the music gets livelier and the nightclub gets packed out to with an amazing DJ. Definitely a must!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa? Share your experiences!